Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Moving In With A Crossdressing Girl has an extremely promising start, Ema is smooth as silk. Too bad her crush is incredibly dense, as is often the case...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
It's also a oneshot, as is often the case :negative:

Oh it's by same author as the reptile owner manga. No, the other one

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

sinky posted:

It's also a oneshot, as is often the case :negative:

Frick! I thought it was a chapter 1. Well that's distressing.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
i honestly think theres something to the idea of "a yuri aesthetics of absence." I mean, this is literally the ending to Revolutionary Girl Utena. The plot of Girls Last Tour. Madoka. Dead Dead Demon's. It's in the title of "Run Away With Me, Girl." Even like, .hack//SIGN. It seems like a pretty natural outcome from a history of marginalization and oppression. I know with my queer friends who came out in the early 2000s, we have this shared feeling of being really, really glad that younger gays can grow up in a more accepting world, while also feeling alienated when we see media about how normalized being gay can be (not because we don't want it, but because it was something that was excluded from us). So there's a complicated sort of aesthetic response to liminal spaces and borderlands and presence and absence, and it's tangled up in self-image and being part of an out-group. I think it also is something to be approached cautiously, because it has some clear similarities to the "tragic lesbian story" aesthetic that is so often limits the imagination.

anyway i just think its a neat observation. nerding out over gay fiction is fun.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Incidentally with regards to beautiful sapphic love that makes me cry, I ordered the second and third omnibussi of Otherside Picnic :3:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Shocking revelations in the latest chapter of Ayaka is in love with Hiroko

I see, I'm a lesbian! Of course! <--- New thread title right here

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

OL hunter. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Julias posted:

You can just report your own post in this thread and ask Fluffdaddy to change it.

It's too long :smith:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fluffdaddy posted:

It's too long :smith:

make it "homo homo homo" instead i guess

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
LGBT manga/anime: "when I get high I can get really emotional about sapphic love"

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

There we go

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
It's beautiful.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
excellent

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't even need to get high to get emotional about queer love.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Recently read this manga called I Tried Marrying My Girl Friend about this woman who was like "yeah, I'd love to get married, but between all my hobbies I don't have time for love or dating, and who'd want a woman like me anyway?" And then her gay best friend is like "I'd want a woman like you, how about we get married?" So they do. And then she makes a living writing a magazine column about what it's like to be gay married to her best friend. For some reason.

Much like the author's previous work, it seems more of an exploration of asexual lesbianism, ie: the woman is not particularly physically attracted to her wife (or anyone), but just appreciates her for being there for her, for becoming family both emotionally and legally. Which, I dunno, I like this kinda vibe.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 21, 2023

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I remember many years ago reading on dynasty scans a 1 or 2 chapter yuri story that I can't find now. I suspect it has been removed. One of the characters was a demon who had been serving a human family for generations (?) who needed to drink human blood to live but she was too ashamed to ask her human friend for help, so it was a very angsty story. I think it was actually a doujin, but parodying something very obscure. If anyone comes across it, I would like to read it again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I was incredibly excited to see that there's a new group picking up scanlations for The Witch's Servant and the Demon Lord's Horns, but it's machine-translated and, unfortunately, garbage. :(

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

yeah i was able to figure out what was going on eventually but the witch thinking to herself at the end of the chapter is like entirely incoherent

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm not going to let a machine translation of a good manga ruin it for me. And by that I mean I refuse to read a machine translation.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

machine translations of manga should be against the law

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

the app translation looks like it's on the last few chapters afaict but well you have to pay to unlock after the first couple, the chapters are divided into thirds and they don't stay unlocked past like two days or something so it's really not worth it unless you have more money then sense

i hope it ends up with both rei and sauro with arsenyo

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

the app translation looks like it's on the last few chapters afaict but well you have to pay to unlock after the first couple, the chapters are divided into thirds and they don't stay unlocked past like two days or something so it's really not worth it unless you have more money then sense
Wow, they really are doing everything in their power to make it as miserable a reading experience as possible, huh.

There was something I read recently (as in, within the last 2-3 months) where the TL notes at the end mentioned that they were taking commissions, and I remember liking their work and thought maybe I could commission a translation of the last few chapters of Witch's Servant

but now I can't remember what manga it was or who the translator was :negative:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Clarste posted:

Recently read this manga called I Tried Marrying My Girl Friend about this woman who was like "yeah, I'd love to get married, but between all my hobbies I don't have time for love or dating, and who'd want a woman like me anyway?" And then her gay best friend is like "I'd want a woman like you, how about we get married?" So they do. And then she makes a living writing a magazine column about what it's like to be gay married to her best friend. For some reason.

Much like the author's previous work, it seems more of an exploration of asexual lesbianism, ie: the woman is not particularly physically attracted to her wife (or anyone), but just appreciates her for being there for her, for becoming family both emotionally and legally. Which, I dunno, I like this kinda vibe.

Thanks, I'll check this out :3:

I admit I thought I was reading a platonic roommate's situation in different het manga but they ended up dating at the very end so I'm curious if this will be different.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I finished the third (and final) volume of Run Away With Me, Girl and it was really really good. I liked the first two volumes but felt they weren’t quite living up to their potential. Volume three really hit the heights I felt it could and really stuck the landing. I especially appreciated the two epilogue chapters because of how they emphasized that life goes on and we face new challenges. I really recommend people check this series out!

It’s not manga but I also read Grand Slam Romance. I’d give it about a C+. For a comic about messy lesbian relationships, softball, and magical girls it really only cared about the messy lesbian relationships. The softball could have been any other team sport and the story wouldn’t have changed because the comic wasn’t really interested in depicting the gameplay at all. For the magical girl side, there’s some funny jokes that allude to the world being absurd (there’s a prestigious magical girl softball boarding school) but mostly it’s deeply unnecessary and doesn’t add anything. It could have been excised from the comic and nothing would really change. Plus, the magical girl designs were just super boring.

The romantic drama was fine but I never actually cared about anyone involved. I appreciate that the author let the relationships be messy and have people’s feelings get hurt, but that was more of an academic appreciation that anything I actually felt.

The jokes landed and the art was pleasant to look at, though, so it’s still a passing grade.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
run away with me is GOAT'd with the sauce nod nod

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Snooze Cruise posted:

run away with me is GOAT'd with the sauce nod nod

It really is! I’m trying not to gush about it because I think people need to experience it for themselves, but I was seriously blown away

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The way it interpreted and commented on the idea of 'running away' and whether or not you have to was pretty cool, too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

So I read I Tried Marrying My Girl Friend and I like the current chapters out so far I'm curious to see if it'll have a similar laid-back and relaxed feeling to Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon by the same manga-ka and I liked that ending too.

There was some drama but it was resolved in a realistic and satisfying manner which I'm glad since sometimes it goes just off the rails and I lose interest if it's too out there issues. Also, no love triangle thank goodness.

Also, I liked how the first series ended up exploring common relationship problems since yeah I've never thought about it like that before due to lack of exp :v:

I relate a lot to how the characters feel like this and how society has expectations of relationships vs what the characters themselves feel is essential to them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Here is a yuri about two roommates whose laundry turns into kitty cats

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Oh, one of those.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

google-fu

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

omg ... as someone who had a cat but can't afford one now they are living the dream :shobon:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I don't personally agree with her but I see where she's coming from.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Drakyn posted:

I don't personally agree with her but I see where she's coming from.

I like big doggos too but I'm allergic to all animals :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Alder posted:

I like big doggos too but I'm allergic to all animals :v:

what about humans

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

what about humans

Yes, I'm allergic to myself too :sigh:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i hope for a tidal wave of ever gayer manga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a good step forward but its just one of many lower courts, its all buildup to a supreme court case

but gay marriage is polling at 70% in japan so odds are itll happen eventually

as an aside the fact that the quote tweets on that are 90% people making jokes about upset rightwing weebs instead of being happy for japanese gay people is weird

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm not at home but imagine I posted one of the 30 panels of the main girl from citrus+ saying "It could happen soon!" With the text "Did she know?" Under it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

An Unacceptable Person is a story by the 2C=Galore circle, from the Yuliquer: Alcohol x Yuri Anthology that I mistakenly thought was completely scanlated.

There's also a :nws: Married Life Simulation by Iwashita Kei who's a mangaka I haven't heard of before, and I really like what I'm seeing.

EDIT: Oh gently caress, Ikoku Nikki hits hard by chapter 2. :qq:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 10, 2023