Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean I suppose literally almost everyone who watched TV during the 90s counts as "a specific section of the American populace", but...

I had a pavlovian craving for chips and salsa when I saw this. Typical Sunday football snack with Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6Dvt1UNx8

This is such a specific callout to a specific section of the American populace who saw 90s chevrolet commercials. Their level of insight is pretty wild.

You are vastly under estimating how much American popular culture spreads elsewhere. A lot of companies will just dub commercials.

Plus the internet.

I wasn’t allowed to watch tv in English - we only had three English channels anyway - until I was like 12, and yet I can still quote the “another scorcher!” commercial.

poo poo, Fox released the first season box set of the Simpsons with the European French dub here and I’m surprised there were no holy wars over it. God drat that dub sucks.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
American culture is widespread and theres also no shortage of people you can survey or hire to make sure your message hits the right notes.

They are good videos, but people are being weird about them imo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

You are vastly under estimating how much American popular culture spreads elsewhere. A lot of companies will just dub commercials.

Plus the internet.

I wasn’t allowed to watch tv in English - we only had three English channels anyway - until I was like 12, and yet I can still quote the “another scorcher!” commercial.

poo poo, Fox released the first season box set of the Simpsons with the European French dub here and I’m surprised there were no holy wars over it. God drat that dub sucks.

Yeah but Canada is basically America's hat so that's not surprising

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

One time I was stuck in the waiting room of a brothel in Russia* for an uncomfortably long time (long story) and the tv was playing Major Payne with documentary style Russian dubs.

American culture permeates.

*this was over 15 years ago

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

FrozenVent posted:

I got this at Future Shop as a kid and I'm still fuming about how bad it was. Marge and Homer were the worst.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bronze Fonz posted:

I got this at Future Shop and I'm still fuming about how bad it was. Marge and Homer were the worst.

Seriously. I don’t need Bart speaking like Schwarzenegger.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

golden bubble posted:

If I remember correctly, in the beginning Ukraine only had about 5000 reliable fighters total in 2014. In those desperate times, they couldn't afford to turn down any help, no matter who it was. Times have changed since then.

Also they make up a significantly small amount, and are not well supported. The actual party associated with Azov Nazis lost all but one seat in Ukrainian Parliament.

There are problem children/Nazis in Ukraine for sure, but at this point most of the stuff is Russia screaming about it while fully supporting Nazis that'll help them fight Ukraine (like Wagner which is out and out White Supremacist AND Nazi).

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

One time I was stuck in the waiting room of a brothel in Russia* for an uncomfortably long time (long story) and the tv was playing Major Payne with documentary style Russian dubs.

Were they even trying to do the voice or was it just flat Russian speaking

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Baghdad, 2003- we stopped a kid to ask what he was listening to.
"50 Cent!"
Sure enough, this 11 year kid was bumping NY Hip Hop in a war zone.
America's greatest foreign policy trick is making us media so ubiquitous and homogeneous, it's like dust- a thin layer every where.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Tabarnak! You can't just say that without telling the story.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Were they even trying to do the voice or was it just flat Russian speaking

Flat as gently caress Russian speaking, it was glorious and fascinating to my drunk rear end. Not enough to make me forget the security dude with the sub machine gun but hey.

bulletsponge13 posted:

America's greatest foreign policy trick is making us media so ubiquitous and homogeneous, it's like dust- a thin layer every where.

American culture is basically the default worldwide, except in small pockets of eg China.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah, the missionaria protectiva is a real thing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Flat as gently caress Russian speaking, it was glorious and fascinating to my drunk rear end. Not enough to make me forget the security dude with the sub machine gun but hey.

Was it all the same voice, too? Early on in the 90s there were a whole bunch of bootlegs where the same dude with a strange nasal pronunciation was doing all the voices in such manner --- men, women, children, all would be same.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

My dude, one day in Moscow I drunkenly saw a Russian dub of “Don’t be a Menace”

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

bulletsponge13 posted:

Baghdad, 2003- we stopped a kid to ask what he was listening to.
"50 Cent!"
Sure enough, this 11 year kid was bumping NY Hip Hop in a war zone.

While searching jingle trucks in Afghanistan a buddy of mine found a cassette of some CCR. I just imagine his whole truck shaking back and forth driving the passes from Pakistan while blasting Bad Moon Rising.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

I had an ex who was stationed way out in the bush in a place literally called by most Europeans "green hell" where old ladies still have facial tattoos in a village that was only accessable by plane but 12 year old girls still listen to Taylor swift and I had to tell people that vaccines do not cause autism. Some details didn't quite make it through. One day, her counterpart came into work distraught, sat down and asked her: "did you know Elton John is a gay?!"
"Miss, he's like, the king of the gays."

Also, In my village, the kindergarteners had Sharknado screened for them on the last day of school. They loving loved it.

Borscht fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 20, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

While searching jingle trucks in Afghanistan a buddy of mine found a cassette of some CCR. I just imagine his whole truck shaking back and forth driving the passes from Pakistan while blasting Bad Moon Rising.

One of the most surreal moments was walking in a living room, and seeing a picture of Imam Hussain and Britney Spears.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Wrong Theory posted:

gently caress yes

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6Dvt1UNx8

This is such a specific callout to a specific section of the American populace who saw 90s chevrolet commercials. Their level of insight is pretty wild.

PR and ad agencies know what they are doing

cr0y fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 20, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Borscht posted:

I had an ex who was stationed way out in the bush in a place literally called by most Europeans "green hell" where old ladies still have facial tattoos in a village that was only accessable by plane but 12 year old girls still listen to Taylor swift and I had to tell people that vaccines do not cause autism. Some details didn't quite make it through. One day, her counterpart came into work distraught, sat down and asked her: "did you know Elton John is a gay?!"
"Miss, he's like, the king of the gays."

Also, In my village, the kindergarteners had Sharknado screened for them on the last day of school. They loving loved it.

Anecdotes like these are what make the internet a magical place.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

One of the most surreal moments was walking in a living room, and seeing a picture of Imam Hussain and Britney Spears.

Imagine how weird it is for people not from the US to find poo poo from their culture bleeding into a hinterland.

My dad took the Trans-Siberian from one end to the other as an unattached tourist. That is, alone and without a tourist guide. The first people he met on the train were American Menonnites. They spoke in German and English thoughout the entire journey.

Very much later, in Mongolia, he took a cab to do some shopping and the cab driver was listening to Krautrock (Spliff, I think) on the tape deck.

"Hallo! I like this band. Do you speak German?"

And the man responds in a broad Berlin accent,

"Yes! I spent five years there to earn my degree! So nice to meet a German here!"

Even more extreme for a German is Cornelius Rost's escape into Iran from a Siberian prison camp. Caught by the Iranians, unable to communicate effectively, and facing explusion back to the USSR, the elevator he is riding in has a maker's plaque with the name of the company his uncle (who had worked and lived in Turkey for a number of years) worked at. That sparked his mind to ask for his uncle, who ultimately got him out of confinement and back into Europe.

For myself, I hated the leaking of US poo poo into Europe when I was a teen. Things used to seep through slower in the 90's, so I got three summers of the Macarena craze. US, Germany, and then Czechia. Like, girls doing the dance was fine for teenage MiT, but walking through the old towns with it blaring from every speaker got old quick.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FrozenVent posted:

Хочешь, я отвлеку тебя от этой боли?

Georgia had an infantry unit in Baqubah, stationed out of FOB Warhorse. One of the few of them that spoke English had a CD Discman that someone had given him, with one CD. Shania Twain. Four hour guard shift with himm, all I heard faintly from his headset was the "Feel Like A Woman". That blaring beginning.

BLANNN DAN DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN

For the better part of two weeks. Four hours a day.

So I burn him at least 30 CDs, I asked around, got everyone in the unit to offer up music. Snoop, No Doubt, Metallica, everything. Give him a huge stack. Nice guy, very appreciative, very happy.

Beginning of the very next shift. Guard briefing, ride to the tower, etc. Get the gear down, do a shift change brief, scan the sector.

BLANNN DAN DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN

Sigh.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
When I lived in Russia I made friends with the other students at the hostel and my Russian buds excitedly made plans to go out to dinner with me, their new American pal, and made a big deal out of it.

we went to fuckin kfc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I was in Beijing on a work trip a local fan club of our product wanted to meet up…at Sizzler. It had a pretty acceptable wine list, though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

mllaneza posted:

I need to see that picture.

Meanwhile, have the Peter Capaldi's reading of it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

The guy reading the Sultan's part has some pro reactions to Capaldi.

"The guy"?? That's Laszlo Cravensworth you cretin

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
He's the toast of London!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That's Jackie Daytona, you nitwits

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

GD_American posted:

Regular human bartender.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

bananana nana nana nanana.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GD_American posted:

No, it's a picture of a self-propelled gun with an exploded barrel.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1659666109820293120?t=J22TbaFInIzAVrnOG4vGLQ&s=19

I'm not seriously considering this. Killing Shoigu would be interrupting your enemy while he's making a mistake and vacate his job for someone who might be more competent.

There would be so much infighting among potential successors that anyone competent would take months to gain control.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No, it's a picture of a self-propelled gun with an exploded barrel.

No, thats a regular human bartender

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was staying at a hostel in Zaragoza, Spain for a metal festival when Michael Jackson died. I immediately became both his head of PR and a cultural ambassador from the US for every drunken Spanish metalhead wishing to offer their condolences and ask me about my views on his life.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

In that case, I’d like a regular human beer please.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

For content, Zelenski is at the G7 summit.
https://www.nu.nl/300483/video/zelensky-aangekomen-voor-g7-top-in-hiroshima.html

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 20, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I always forget how drat tall J-Trizzle is compared to a lot of world leaders until I see a lineup where his six-foot-two rear end stands apart. :canada:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I did a couple years as an exchange officer with the German navy. Our boat got deployed to the Med for the UN Lebanon mission, but the maritime component was based out of Cyprus.

Our first night on island, the other officers wanted to go out to someplace new for dinner. As we cruise around Limassol, they unanimously decide on where they want to eat:

Bennigan's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm not seriously considering this. Killing Shoigu would be interrupting your enemy while he's making a mistake and vacate his job for someone who might be more competent.
Shoigu's job is not being competent in military matters. It's to do exactly what Putin tells him to do while taking the blame for his fuckups. It doesn't matter who does that job.