Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

hiking owns. and trail running is just what you do when hiking is no longer challenging enough

tbh i doubt i'll ever be fit enough for trail running

if you can run you can trail run, i think i'd rather get shot in the leg than run on pavement anymore.

running in the woods owns, even just a couple miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i can barely not roll my ankle hiking I don't understand the lunatics running on the trails

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
trail running with barefoot shoes sounds dope

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

if you can run you can trail run,

that's a pretty big if buster brown

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Today my Apple Watch measured my VO2 max at 33.1, which is awful but also much better than the 25.5 I was at last year. Cardio always hurt so much that really let it slide for a long time. Now that I'm forcing myself to run at least once a week (along with doing more conditioning work at the gym), I'm slowly climbing out of the hole I dug myself into.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Today my Apple Watch measured my VO2 max at 33.1, which is awful but also much better than the 25.5 I was at last year. Cardio always hurt so much that really let it slide for a long time. Now that I'm forcing myself to run at least once a week (along with doing more conditioning work at the gym), I'm slowly climbing out of the hole I dug myself into.

I told my apple watch I was on a beta blocker and it sent my vo2 max number to the shadow realm

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

akadajet posted:

I told my apple watch I was on a beta blocker and it sent my vo2 max number to the shadow realm

Interesting. I'm very curious about how the number it gives compares to something done more scientifically.

The local university's department of kinesiology & health education has public-facing program where you can go and get things like DEXA scans and VO2/lactate. It's mostly meant to be a way for them to do research (they get to use all your data) and as a result the tests are all very cheap. I've been doing DEXA scans there once every six months. The results of those mostly track with the results I get from my scale (which uses BIA to measure body composition). I don't know if VO2 will end up the same, but I'm going to give it a shot when it's time for my next scan.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

what is hypertrophy anyway? like, your muscles look like they are flexing all the time, is that it?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's when you work out specifically to make yourself big and musceley instead of training for things like endurance or high strength.

Think runner vs powerlifter vs bodybuilder

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

is it safe to stay in a hypertrophy state indefinitely?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

idk what you mean by state it's more of a goal of the workout program or w/e you're doing is.

do you wanna:

work out longer : train endurance

Lift heavier stuff : train strength

Look more musceley: train hypertrophy

In that context it's usually a kind of weightlifting routine/style with a higher emphasis on volume than weight and such.

being bodybuilder show-ready is a different thing entirely where you get sickly and dehydrated, and most importantly, slathered in oils

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
based off the fitness band I worked on and all the data accuracy tests we had to do: the Apple Watch is insanely accurate in all of its measures and it’s absurd the precision that device is capable of

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

PokeJoe posted:

being bodybuilder show-ready is a different thing entirely where you get sickly and dehydrated, and most importantly, slathered in oils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaeqAHDAUbA

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

is it safe to stay in a hypertrophy state indefinitely?

depends on which muscles are in hypertrophy

if it's your heart then no

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I tried out my deadlifting straps last night: I liked them, it was an interesting sensation that almost felt like I was using a machine (but of course I was lifting a weight). I did my first sets without the straps but when I felt my grip was becoming the limiting factor I put them on, I’ll probably do that from now on

I also think I figured out an issue with my grip: before I had my hands arranged so that the bar was putting a lot of load on my thumb, but I consciously pushed my wrists forward while lifting so that my fingers were bearing the load. It’s hard to explain, but it really helped

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ADINSX posted:

I tried out my deadlifting straps last night: I liked them, it was an interesting sensation that almost felt like I was using a machine (but of course I was lifting a weight). I did my first sets without the straps but when I felt my grip was becoming the limiting factor I put them on, I’ll probably do that from now on

I also think I figured out an issue with my grip: before I had my hands arranged so that the bar was putting a lot of load on my thumb, but I consciously pushed my wrists forward while lifting so that my fingers were bearing the load. It’s hard to explain, but it really helped

I saw some dude doing pull ups with straps yesterday with a 45 lb plate hanging below his nuts. looked powerful

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if the pull up bar ain’t bending, you’re just pretending

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

I saw some dude doing pull ups with straps yesterday with a 45 lb plate hanging below his nuts. looked powerful

Weighted pull-ups look so badass. Anytime chains get involved it looks cool (see also: chain weights on bench)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Weighted pull-ups look so badass. Anytime chains get involved it looks cool (see also: chain weights on bench)

my favorite is chains on the bar that never touch the ground

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

my favorite is chains on the bar that never touch the ground

Well what’s the point of that??? If the chains aren’t clanking around on the ground no one is gonna see my sick reps

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I've only recently begun doing curls. I switched from standing curls to doing incline seated curls last time and my arms feel sore (in a good way) today. I think it helps with isolation.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
chinups are curls for badasses. no i can't do them yet, i'm too fat and weak :(

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i moved my power rack out of the basement and to the garage. feels good to workout in the sun. multitasking

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
sun’s out guns out baby, get those solar powered gainz

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

weight: 199.2

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

that’s a rookie number. you got to pump it up

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this is the number that goes down!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

:nice:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Achmed Jones posted:

:krad:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bought a wavecel helmet. i just keep thinking of incel.

it’s been nice riding my bike to the store. thinking of getting a yuba cargo bike if i keep it up.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

proud of u :shobon:

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
3-0-3 squats kicked my rear end today in a good way

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I need to stop forgetting my shin socks on deadlift day jesus christ

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

:hellyeah:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i must be doing deadlifts wrong, they make my hamstrings feel very hosed up. like even doing it with my tiny dumbbells they're just super tight and it feels awful.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Mr. Crow posted:

I need to stop forgetting my shin socks on deadlift day jesus christ

lol made that mistake today

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

decent bench 💪

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Eeyo posted:

i must be doing deadlifts wrong, they make my hamstrings feel very hosed up. like even doing it with my tiny dumbbells they're just super tight and it feels awful.

Try some good mornings: they also work your ham strings and can be used as a weighted stretch

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cowboy beepboop posted:

decent bench 💪

Achmed will be repping out 2 plates in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Yesterdays workout:
Standing Overhead Press 3x5 @ 135lbs
Deadlifts 1x5 @ 355lbs
Incline Bench Curls 3x13 @ 25lbs
Lying Tricep Extensions 3x13 @ 25lbs