Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I'm designing a card game!

I'm starting off with Fulda 1986. Now it's true that Gorby was probably the least likely of Soviet leaders to actually go to war, the USSR was heading into rapid decline, and also an earlier time period would be way more interesting... Americans want to see an Abrams and an Apache and if I ever publish and sell it I gotta take that into account. I definitely love shitboxes though so the majority of armour is still M60s and T-64s, with some T-62s knocking about too.

The aim is to create a pretty flexible system that could apply to different theatres, time periods, or settings with fairly minor adjustments to the core rules, by keeping a lot of the theming to the card decks themselves. The decks represent different divisions\regiments, and are sealed, set decks - it's emphatically not a CCG.

Being Fulda, NATO defends and Pact attacks. We're starting off with two infantry divisions as the default, but I'm also pretty far along with designing armoured decks and support decks. Support decks will probably suck in 1v1, but I want the game to also be interesting in a 2v2 and 3v3 format. Currently, it's just Soviets and US, but of course there's plenty of potential for Germans, NORTHAG, Poles, Czechs, Yugos, Italy, etc.

There are unit cards and action cards. Units go on the field, occupy positions, move and fight. Action cards (except if they're fortifications or stated otherwise) return to your hand at the end of the turn. Thus, your artillery battery can shell the enemy every turn, unless it gets blown up by a counter-card. Actions and counter-cards an important part of the game flow.

Keeping the theming within the decks means there aren't many core rules to memorize, and also means that different decks move in very different ways. Units move and fight only when an order card is played. You might imagine the Germans might get some kind of Todesfahrt.

Cards have suits, which means you have a limited understanding of what the enemy has on the field, what is in their hand, and what is the next card to draw. This also applies to you. Are you desperate to draw a unit, and you have one space in your hand? Look over to your deck and see if the top card is one, and make an informed choice about whether to discard something from your current hand or not. Don't know whether to hang on to that fighter card? Look at the number of planes and helicopters in your enemy's hand. But beware: discards are permanent. Unlike most CCGs, you never rummage through your discard pile. If you don't use an asset, it's reassigned to another commander - it's a war, after all!

Recon is important, and so is countering it! You don't want to send an A-10 against an enemy position, only for the Pact player to reveal an Osa.

Being on the defensive, the NATO player has a number of fortifications.

The game is meant to be quite approachable and quick to play, so rules are fairly simple. I don't model different weapon systems, or attack and defence values: units are rated by a simple combat effectiveness. I also resisted modelling a bunch of variants. To a field commander, a T-64 platoon is a T-64 platoon, despite the differences in capabilities of different variants. The grogs can look at the art and feel smart figuring out whether it's an A, B or a BV. Since this is an early prototype, the card art is completely placeholder and unlicensed as of now.

My aim is for people with a basic interest in military matters but without a lot of knowledge of the theatre or weapons systems to be able to pick up the game, play and have fun. However, I'm trying to use core game interactions to gently nudge players into following doctrine. Even if a player doesn't know the doctrine, they will soon discover that using air assets to attack the Pact back line and stall their advance is a good play.

And speaking of NATO doctrine...

Escalation cards are powerful, but cost you victory points to use, as well as lowering the maximum number of VPs you can earn. Because the escalation deck is small, your opponent also knows that with each card you draw, their chance of drawing The Big One is higher.

If anyone is up for it, I'd love some goon playtest feedback. Currently, the game takes about an hour for a first-time player, and 25-30 minutes for someone who has played a few games. The current design issues are that 1. The board might be a bit big, although if I narrow it it might be too small. That said, narrowing it could help cut another couple minutes off of play time. 2. It's hard to fine tune balance without a lot more testers who have gotten a little bit of experience with the game. 3. Currently it's a no brainer to put terrain cards as next to your own deployment zone and score easy VPs. It makes sense of NATO, but not so much for Pact. I might simply make it so that you can't put down terrain cards next to Pact deployment zone. 4. Currently, NATO escalates a bit too willy-nilly. Now that is realistic, but for gameplay reasons I'd rather make escalation a more weighty decision.

that does look awesome but it needs the soviet river dudes with floaties and paddles and the smug border guards FF always posts. even if they'd be anachronistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

You're right, of course.

As TERF Island sinks into the sea

Yeah, yeah, we all read the Silmarillion

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
that's a really cool looking game!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When DID the soviets stop using tactical inner tubes?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

When DID the soviets stop using tactical inner tubes?

They were apparently used, in different versions, until the 80's.

I can never find a consistent name, so every time this comes up I have to go looking. Osprey says PBC, but that doesn't seem to be right. I've also seen PKT and MCT. The terminology is all over the place too. Swimming suit, lifesaving costume (?), personal raft, "individual means of transportation”

Anyway found a new pic this time.

:eyepop:

e: anyway, here are the more modern versions

Now it should be noted that Mustang Survival, which makes the great inflatable jackets, also has a military line, including SOF gear, and one of their products seems pretty similar.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:47 on May 20, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmfao

I'm guessing since the 80's they decided everyone will just cross the river in the bmp/btr instead

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Lmfao

I'm guessing since the 80's they decided everyone will just cross the river in the bmp/btr instead

I think its a set up for engineers or people doing covert river crossing

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

KomradeX posted:

I think its a set up for engineers or people doing covert river crossing

Or it's someone's birthday and they're doing a river float? We just don't see the tubes with the coolers in them.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah i think those are the engineers. river crossings were an extremely high priority for the red army. i think ff has posted cool manuals for it before

also annoying cool thing google does. if you search for soviet naval infantry it prioritizes results for russian naval infantry with russia bolded as a keyword. loving useless

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cuttlefush posted:

also annoying cool thing google does. if you search for soviet naval infantry it prioritizes results for russian naval infantry with russia bolded as a keyword. loving useless

Did search get much, much worse? It takes me 30 minutes or more to find things I know I've looked up before. Even finding photos of things that I know there are photos of and have seen before is an exercise in frustration.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Did search get much, much worse? It takes me 30 minutes or more to find things I know I've looked up before. Even finding photos of things that I know there are photos of and have seen before is an exercise in frustration.

Google has been maki g search worse for some reason everybyear for at least 10 years

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

KomradeX posted:

Google has been maki g search worse for some reason everybyear for at least 10 years

seems like it's accelerating as it dives into the shitter, as well

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

yeah it's gotten particularly bad over the past year. interface too. they finally gave everyone favicons and now there are like 2/3rds the search results unless you do some ublock filtering. also no pagination. it's so bad.

bing (and therefore duckduckgo) pretty much do the same thing so they also suck more. yandex is... meh.

google's reverse image source actually works again though. really well. so that's nice while it lasts

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Rule the Waves 3 review: It's good.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
@Zeppelin Insanity

I’ve done some playtesting before and card games are my jam so if I can help you out let me know.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

it's designed for marketing now but they've gone above and beyond what they needed to do just to make advertisers happier

they've kinda closed off the internet, either deliberately or through incompetence

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
closed? enclosed.

closured. commons.

edit: oh my god google... https://domains.google/tld/zip/

a top level domain .zip

lol what the gently caress

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 09:19 on May 20, 2023

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Thank you everyone for your positive feedback! Means a lot.

Some of you guys don't have PMs so I'm just going to put the stuff here for anyone interested in playtesting.

Add me on Steam, code 10546921

The current version of the rules is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zUPZERcpFQBW0gqssHMIh-EvX0aCiyyq/view?usp=sharing

Please also let me know your availability. I'll attempt to set up games between you guys.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

From the rules:

Both players draw 6 Terrain cards and discard 2.
The NATO player places one Terrain card on any spot on the battlefield, replacing the Plain. Then,
the Pact player places one, and the players alternate until all 10 cards have been placed. Some cards
may be placed on top of others, replacing or modifying them. No terrain card may be played next to
the Pact deployment zone.

Draw 6, discard 2, times 2 = 8. So is it 8 or 10 terrain cards which get placed?

Also you're referring to the Pact Deployment Zone before explaining what that is.

I got some criticism about the rest of the rules text also but I'd have to play the game first to get a feel for it.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Orange Devil posted:

From the rules:

Both players draw 6 Terrain cards and discard 2.
The NATO player places one Terrain card on any spot on the battlefield, replacing the Plain. Then,
the Pact player places one, and the players alternate until all 10 cards have been placed. Some cards
may be placed on top of others, replacing or modifying them. No terrain card may be played next to
the Pact deployment zone.

Draw 6, discard 2, times 2 = 8. So is it 8 or 10 terrain cards which get placed?

Good catch. It's because I'm experimenting with the amount of terrain to use, so it isn't very consistent right now. It's supposed to be 8 total in the current playtest.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

you need tabletop simulator to playtest right?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It looks amazing. Seriously, good work.

e: RTW 3, glad to hear it. I was really hopeful for them, and the lead guy at the company dying had me worried.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Megamissen posted:

you need tabletop simulator to playtest right?

Yep.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I've decided to put it on Steam Workshop rather than make you all add me on Steam. This is the first time I've done this so if it doesn't work, uh, I'll fix it. :v:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2978803471

Would love it if you guys gave it a try and let me know what you think. Do keep in mind it's an early draft. Feel free to send it to friends if you think they might be into it, but not too many. I would like to publish it for real at some point and I'd rather not have it all over the internet beforehand.

Also, you will probably feel like you don't have a lot of units. It's intentional. Most of the NATO deck is fortifications and action cards. Half of the Pact deck is units. At some point I would like to experiment with a board size that's 4 spaces long but only 3 wide, with bit less terrain. This would force more combat. If it plays well, I might also reduce deck sizes a little more and cut a few more minutes off of play time.

In the future, I definitely want to do 2v2s and 3v3s as well.

Frosted Flake posted:

4CMBG should be the equivalent of a holographic charizard or blue eyes white dragon

I would love to put them in as a deck in the future. I know next to nothing about Canadian doctrine, though. I'd need you to tell me how they should play, ideally in comparison to the US infantry division I have in game right now.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 17:11 on May 21, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

New Historical Total War trailer dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxpwPBhbGoo

Pharaonic Egypt was not on my list.

"Watch the announcement trailer for Total War: Pharaoh, the next game in the strategy franchise coming in October 2023. Get ready to dive into the turbulent events of the Egyptian New Kingdom period where you will determine the fate of three great cultures as they fight for survival amid the cataclysmic Bronze-Age Collapse.

In Total War: Pharaoh, the Pharaoh is dead, and the people of Egypt, Canaan, and the Hittite empire cry out for a new leader. Many desire the power of the throne, but the path to becoming Pharaoh is a perilous one. As the leader of these great nations, you must overcome societal collapse, face natural disasters and fight to protect your people against invaders from far off lands. 

Total War: Pharaoh features a choice of eight faction leaders from three rich cultural hubs, with unique playstyles and diverse unit rosters. Whether you’re charming the courts as a peerless diplomat, charging into battle as an unwavering commander or causing chaos as a fearless warlord, become a leader that history will remember."

It's an extremely cool period of history, and historically the setting for the Iliad, but there are intense debates about the nature of warfare in the era as well. I'm very curious to see how chariots are implemented, for example.

e: For better or worse, even if they ignore them, Creative Assembly does hire some of the best working historians and historical art people as advisors. You can tell the amount of research that went into Troy, and where they cartooned things up. Just based on the trailer, someone is familiar with the Egyptian armies of that period - there have been several good books in the past 20 years - and that's really cool.

ee: Game development heads can better explain but you can also see from the stuff on https://pharaoh.totalwar.com which content they had worked on in Troy, just like how Attila and Thrones of Britannia were interconnected. Related to my above example, they uncartooned the armour and weapons they had clearly researched during the process of making Troy. The last Troy DLC had a bunch of Egyptian content and I can see how this reduces workflow. Am I getting that about right?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:11 on May 24, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Black Cleopatra DLC is gonna be lit

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Black Cleopatra DLC is gonna be lit

lol if they time skip from 1177 BC to 30 BC just to do that, you gotta hand it to them.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

lol if they time skip from 1177 BC to 30 BC just to do that, you gotta hand it to them.

they did it in rtw w/ ancient egyptian ptolemaics

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

ee: Game development heads can better explain but you can also see from the stuff on https://pharaoh.totalwar.com which content they had worked on in Troy, just like how Attila and Thrones of Britannia were interconnected. Related to my above example, they uncartooned the armour and weapons they had clearly researched during the process of making Troy. The last Troy DLC had a bunch of Egyptian content and I can see how this reduces workflow. Am I getting that about right?
i remember ppl got mad over how much they reused between Napoleon and Empire TW

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Feels like somehow one of the UI mods I've installed for Victoria 3 is crashing my session because it seems to reliably happen when the landowners throw a fit and try to do a counter revolution against any form of republicanism.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well there was a major update to Victoria 3 like a couple of days ago that changed up a lot of things, so it's entirely possible something broke with the mod.

https://vic3.paradoxwikis.com/Patch_1.3

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Danann posted:

Feels like somehow one of the UI mods I've installed for Victoria 3 is crashing my session because it seems to reliably happen when the landowners throw a fit and try to do a counter revolution against any form of republicanism.

it's because they're breaking the natural progression of History and thus causality bugs out

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
is Victoria 3 worth playing yet

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FirstnameLastname posted:

i remember ppl got mad over how much they reused between Napoleon and Empire TW

well that was a weird point but not for reusing perfectly good assets, it's just that Empire was basically Napoleon but done properly

still had a load of bugs that were never fixed like the AI being really bad at doing invasions from the sea to the point it barely tried

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
iirc napoleon had weirdly better AI for many things but was missing a shitload of unit variety for basically no reason. empire had unit variety and, i think, lots of better maps and poo poo?

there were definitely legitimate grievances on bizarre deficits between the two. mods fix everything in either of them now so they work great but they weren't around for a while.

im talking artificial constraints too, not just the different in start/end date technology and factions represented. also missing lots of artillery types that would have been around and should have been emphasized i think? might be misremembering

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 16:28 on May 24, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

New Historical Total War trailer dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxpwPBhbGoo

Pharaonic Egypt was not on my list.

"Watch the announcement trailer for Total War: Pharaoh, the next game in the strategy franchise coming in October 2023. Get ready to dive into the turbulent events of the Egyptian New Kingdom period where you will determine the fate of three great cultures as they fight for survival amid the cataclysmic Bronze-Age Collapse.

In Total War: Pharaoh, the Pharaoh is dead, and the people of Egypt, Canaan, and the Hittite empire cry out for a new leader. Many desire the power of the throne, but the path to becoming Pharaoh is a perilous one. As the leader of these great nations, you must overcome societal collapse, face natural disasters and fight to protect your people against invaders from far off lands. 

Total War: Pharaoh features a choice of eight faction leaders from three rich cultural hubs, with unique playstyles and diverse unit rosters. Whether you’re charming the courts as a peerless diplomat, charging into battle as an unwavering commander or causing chaos as a fearless warlord, become a leader that history will remember."

It's an extremely cool period of history, and historically the setting for the Iliad, but there are intense debates about the nature of warfare in the era as well. I'm very curious to see how chariots are implemented, for example.

e: For better or worse, even if they ignore them, Creative Assembly does hire some of the best working historians and historical art people as advisors. You can tell the amount of research that went into Troy, and where they cartooned things up. Just based on the trailer, someone is familiar with the Egyptian armies of that period - there have been several good books in the past 20 years - and that's really cool.

the studio making it is CA Sofia, who had worked on troy previously. They were nice enough to pop in during troy and explain to us modders about backend stuff which was helpful with warhammer modding for game 3.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Bronze age game takes me back to the "reign of Hittite" tutorial campaign in age of empries

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Typo posted:

no

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Typo posted:

no, and the first major expansion, which will add a bunch of basic features to diplomacy, imperialism, and subject management, systems which currently barely exist in the game, is not due for another year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

well that was a weird point but not for reusing perfectly good assets, it's just that Empire was basically Napoleon but done properly

still had a load of bugs that were never fixed like the AI being really bad at doing invasions from the sea to the point it barely tried

Other way around. Empire was unplayable garbage because the AI couldn't handle it at all. Like significantly worse than usual in TW games. Napoleon was very much playable and imo fun. Empire had a better elevator pitch imo though so big shame.