Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't get that the subplot of Spider-man 2 where Peter's finding his powers aren't working is meant to be an allegory for erectile dysfunction, ha. Or at least has been compared to such.

Also reminded of an even sillier than usual episode of the old cartoon where Spidey gets sick and sees a doctor... in full Spider-man costume, which is rather a problem when he doesn't want to remove his mask for an oral examination. Does come to mind though how both bring up the issue that even by superhero standards, Spidey has a tricky time when it comes to getting medical help, given his physiology is no longer entirely human. And he's not always on good terms with Dr Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't get that the subplot of Spider-man 2 where Peter's finding his powers aren't working is meant to be an allegory for erectile dysfunction, ha. Or at least has been compared to such.

Also reminded of an even sillier than usual episode of the old cartoon where Spidey gets sick and sees a doctor... in full Spider-man costume, which is rather a problem when he doesn't want to remove his mask for an oral examination. Does come to mind though how both bring up the issue that even by superhero standards, Spidey has a tricky time when it comes to getting medical help, given his physiology is no longer entirely human. And he's not always on good terms with Dr Strange.

Don't really follow spiderman but isn't he like a contract photographer earning the shittest pay or something living in new york? Can he even afford to go see a doctor?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He’s American so no

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Surely there's enough heroes running around to justify introducing the Night Nurse into the MCU.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It gets even weirder/dumber in the Spider-Man newspaper strip, such as the time he tried to board a plane in his costume and had to convince the TSA guys they didn't need to check his identity

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Randalor posted:

Surely there's enough heroes running around to justify introducing the Night Nurse into the MCU.

The Netflix Marvel shows had Night Nurse mixed together with Claire Temple, played by Rosario Dawson.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It makes more sense if you look at the first movie and the gaining of superpowers is treated as an allegory for puberty. So the loss of said powers would be equal to loss of virility.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Spiderman's power gain in specific is very puberty coded often.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Captain Monkey posted:

Spiderman's power gain in specific is very puberty coded often.

A young man spraying his gack over every available surface is subtle, mhm.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's subtle because the teenager looks 35.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Randalor posted:

Isn't she already Dr Strange's ex?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He had to lie and say it was that morning otherwise his contract would have been stolen with everyone else's the night before when the deal had actually taken place. And it's the knowledge that they were still in the office and hadn't been taken to the bank that sinks him with Williamson later.

That annoyed me because it would have been so easy to play off if the character was a little quicker thinking. "Wait, I was just busting your balls because you're a schmuck. You really left that poo poo on your desk all night?" Especially after he just had his boss admit to wasting company resources giving him useless leads for a personal vendetta.

Torquemada posted:

A young man spraying his gack over every available surface is subtle, mhm.

What's that supposed to mean in the comics then, where his web shooters are mechanical?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I thought the night nurse was Claire from the Netflix shows

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't she already Dr Strange's ex?

Sorta.

flavor.flv posted:

I thought the night nurse was Claire from the Netflix shows

Also sorta.

Netflix were going to make Claire from the Netflix Daredevil "Night Nurse", but then in the middle of writing it at the script approval stage they got a note from Marvel that they were intending to use Night Nurse in a movie, so Christine Palmer is off limits. So they rewrote the part using the less well known Claire Temple, but still performing the same function as night nurse, but isnt Night Nurse, although IIRC someone still refers to her by that name once.

The use of Night Nurse in the movies is that Dr Christine Palmer is Doctor Stranges ex who has barely any screen time, but technically is the night nurse character, nobody calls her night nurse on screen and she doesnt really do any of the things that character would do, but she is technically the same Night Nurse character. Which is probably why they got Rachel McAdams in such a nothing role, in case they decided later to do something with her.

So, you have the Netflix character, who is an existing character who isnt Night Nurse, doing the job of Night Nurse and being called Night Nurse (probably because they missed it in the script revision, possibly just as an easter egg). You also have the Doctor Strange movie character who is an existing character who is night nurse, but she doesnt do that and no one calls her that. Yay cross platform IP exploitation.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 17:52 on May 19, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Christine Palmer was the name of one of the Night Nurse protagonists but the MCU character is pretty much her in name only.

Claire Temple on Netflix was very inspired by Night Nurse but the name was originally an unrelated character from Luke Cage comics.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

That annoyed me because it would have been so easy to play off if the character was a little quicker thinking.

Yea but everyone in that story is an idiot rear end in a top hat so it fits.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Cat Hatter posted:

What's that supposed to mean in the comics then, where his web shooters are mechanical?

An excuse for the aforementioned gack throwing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He had to lie and say it was that morning otherwise his contract would have been stolen with everyone else's the night before when the deal had actually taken place. And it's the knowledge that they were still in the office and hadn't been taken to the bank that sinks him with Williamson later.

Yep, that too. I just like how they kind of subtly portray the obvious lie, quickly forget about it and then dig back in where Shelly has to double down on it and now he has to sell Ricky.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Until this thread, all I knew about Glengarry Glen Ross was the title and that it was a 90s movie about shady real estate guys. And I kind of assumed it was a heartwarming comedy romp about a bumbling team of realtors in a quaint scottish village. Turns out that's not the case

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Until this thread, all I knew about Glengarry Glen Ross was the title and that it was a 90s movie about shady real estate guys. And I kind of assumed it was a heartwarming comedy romp about a bumbling team of realtors in a quaint scottish village. Turns out that's not the case

it's a really good movie about a bunch of assholes

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Monkey posted:

it's a really good movie about a bunch of assholes

Yeah I jumped on youtube out of curiosity from this thread, and GGR looks incredible. I watched five minutes and I know these people, it’s amaxing.
Even little details like A.I.D.A. being pretty useless yet presesnted with utter confidence.... ahhh, it’s just too real.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Is that the COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS movie? I reference something about a trophy of balls. Like brass ones on a string that hang on some sort of hook, not like truck nuts as far as anatomical closeness goes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is that the COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS movie? I reference something about a trophy of balls. Like brass ones on a string that hang on some sort of hook, not like truck nuts as far as anatomical closeness goes.

Yes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I love that he brought those to the office just to use as a prop

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From everything I've seen and heard about real estate agents that looks entirely believable.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
need a newton's cradle of ball appliances .

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Torquemada posted:

An excuse for the aforementioned gack throwing.

shrug mostly want to test this out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tree Bucket posted:

i saw it first time late in life, but it's good, in spite of my advanced age

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
ALWAYS! BE! CLOSING!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
But if your always closed how can you sell any houses? No wonder those schmucks couldn't sell anything.

drat idiots the lot of them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've never actually seen the movie but I've quoted it a hell of a lot

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

shitposting is for closers only

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Duke nukem voice: Ive got balls of brass, ive got ive got, balls balls balls balls balls balls of brass

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You should fix that; you'll likely quote it much more afterwards. It's absolutely fantastic.

THIRD PRIZE IS YOU'RE FIRED.

Good dad? gently caress you, go home and play with your kids.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cat Hatter posted:

That annoyed me because it would have been so easy to play off if the character was a little quicker thinking. "Wait, I was just busting your balls because you're a schmuck. You really left that poo poo on your desk all night?" Especially after he just had his boss admit to wasting company resources giving him useless leads for a personal vendetta.

Williamson doesn’t admit that he’s been loving with Shelley until after he gets him to fess up not only to his role in the robbery but it being Moss’s idea. It’s only when Shelley tries the “I’m going to make you so much money you stupid bastard” yet again that he tells him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^no^^^?

Spoilers since some people haven't seen this fantastic film

Williamson has no clue until Shelley starts popping off. He didn't set him up at all. He just heard Shelley say something that only the thief would know (when he cracked out of turn) and then hosed with him because he doesn't like him.

SHelley digs his own grave and gets caught because he shoots off his big mouth (again), slips up and tips off Williamson when he's insulting him and dressing him down, feeling he's on top of The Big Board again and then is undone by his hubris. The guy just can't shut the gently caress up and, even though you feel for his plight with the medical bills he's facing, the pressure he's under and working such a lovely job stuck in in his old school methods, watching him dig his own grave before he gets himself caught is masterful film making, expertly conveyed and incredibly uncomfortable to watch. He tries to get slick and deal his way out of it but Spacey sticks a knife in him.

Jack Lemmon is a real standout here in a movie stuffed to the rafters with lead actors and Oscar winners. Every actor in this film is great.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 00:30 on May 21, 2023

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Spacey

Every actor in this film is great.

...at acting. (I know that's what you meant, obviously)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You do not under any circumstances "gotta hand it to em"

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I just noticed the wicked witch of the east was a princess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You should fix that; you'll likely quote it much more afterwards. It's absolutely fantastic.

THIRD PRIZE IS YOU'RE FIRED.

Good dad? gently caress you, go home and play with your kids.

‘Where’d you learn your trade you stupid loving oval office!?’ was a daily quote for my roommate and I. Always lifts my spirits :)