Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Sherman is great at dumping dps at anything in range of its guns. It's a smoke sitting or island humping dd at heart. SAP and HE combo let's you farm just about anything that wanders into your range. Hydro can help with cap fights, hunting dds in smoke and keeping safe from torpa when you are vulnerable. Torps are a joke with 1 fixed launcher per side. Not my fave boat, but it is very good at its job

Trump is about attacking in different ways. Decent guns but bad dpm. Kinda bad torps, again with awful angles, but fast reload. Airstrikes are much smaller than Dutch cruisers, and 10km range, but they land much quicker. You lose most dd on dd engagements, but you are great at harassing anything larger. Just keep turning for torps, spamming airstrikes, and taking a fee pot shots once in a while to help keep fires going. I like the Tromp a lot, but it takes work to get all its different attacks to land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Sherman really needs assistance/division to shine, just has zero maneuverability and spotting utility.

Tromp is complex, it's a very map dependent ship IMHO. It was a lot of fun playing in Dirigible Derby because it's able to poo poo on anything that is pushing positions. I play a lot of it, it's kind of becoming my favorite DD at high tier because the airstrike uniquely allows you to reliably damage targets while being open water unspotted. Feels like oldschool WoWs, before the firing detectability change patch.

Grab the Napoli before either of them though. God drat, hell of a ship.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah those are good points from both of you, thanks guys. I'll grab the Napoli now and then maybe the Tromp next.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I love getting the occasional video recommendation for this game because I get to see what new terrible bullshit they’ve added.

Superships seem real fun.

Submarines are far worse for the game than superships IMO. I've been playing a lot of Sturdy because the British sub line just came out and I want the T10 for snowflakes/containers. I hate playing subs and I hate playing against them. So stupid.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The biggest problem with superships is that they ruined T9 matchmaking, which used to be so good. Now you no longer have the benefit of only one tier above you, because every match has multiple (effectively) T11-T12 boats in it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah I'm only just for the first time encountering subs (they didn't exist when I last played) and goddamn what a terrible design. It's like they took everything bad about carriers and decided "so how about we do that again, but worse". It's yet another game mechanic that you need to set aside substantial attention and time to play around, yet the counterplay is extremely passive and unsatisfying.

Way back in Steel Ocean (RIP) they also had subs but I don't remember those being nearly as annoying.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Steel Ocean was the superior game as far as mechanics go.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Can I get back to my squadron after I select carrier view? I’m on Xbox and can’t figure it out

Edit: realized I can just maneuver the cv from the map screen

dew worm fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 2, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's not every day you get the Combat Scout achievement and 100k+ spotting in a battleship, but that's why ranked is fun occasionally.

Happened to push down one flank with an Ägir who died almost immediately, and it turned out the whole enemy team was also down this flank. Luckily I was in the Duncan, a ship made for kiting. I was just able to dance away while peppering the enemy team with HE and spotting them for the rest of my team who were on the other flank.

150k damage, 100k spotting, 3 million potential damage and a very comfortable win. I can't recommend the British battlecruiser line enough, and apparently the St. Vincent is even nuttier.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the Duncan and the St. Vinny are very good ships. Way more durable than they look on paper. Reminds me of when the Hood came out and you could just kite all day long in it.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

dive bombing is hard. Cant seem to figure out the timing up letting the bombs go and splashdown.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

dew worm posted:

dive bombing is hard. Cant seem to figure out the timing up letting the bombs go and splashdown.

It varies nation by nation, and you just kinda have to get a feel for it. Does the console version have training rooms where you can just have a "game" with passive enemy boats to target and practise on? If not, jump into co-op and just drop and drop until you develop muscle memory.

Also on another topic, I bought the Napoli on the PC version, and used this build:

Does that look reasonable? I do not have Luigi Sansonetti, and my best Italian captain is only like 12 skill points so I didn't actually get terribly many skills. Did the Napoli have improved secondary accuracy already built in? I would assume so, because people seem to just recommend taking the range increasing talents and equipment.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It varies nation by nation, and you just kinda have to get a feel for it. Does the console version have training rooms where you can just have a "game" with passive enemy boats to target and practise on? If not, jump into co-op and just drop and drop until you develop muscle memory.

Also on another topic, I bought the Napoli on the PC version, and used this build:

Does that look reasonable? I do not have Luigi Sansonetti, and my best Italian captain is only like 12 skill points so I didn't actually get terribly many skills. Did the Napoli have improved secondary accuracy already built in? I would assume so, because people seem to just recommend taking the range increasing talents and equipment.

I like to go as much secondary as I can. The secondaries are incredible, on par with like Schleiffen, sometimes better. I've seen one white bar a DD in clan battles before, with only secondaries. Use islands and patient play to get to a spot where you can just drive into a bunch of ships that can't really hurt you and go to town.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Welcome to ranked, here are your teammates:

"How poo poo does someone have to be to get a winrate of 35%", you ask? Well possibly a Kearsarge who sits parked in A6 all game and only sends out planes.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, it’s just going to take practice.

Just had a match that came down to myself and the other cv. That was fun

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Welcome to ranked, here are your teammates:

"How poo poo does someone have to be to get a winrate of 35%", you ask? Well possibly a Kearsarge who sits parked in A6 all game and only sends out planes.

I saw a suggestion that Bronze ranked should be open to all (for shitters). Silver should require 50% WR in randoms and 1000 battles played. Gold require 55%/5000.

But I had a ranked game against this guy the other day, oh boy:
https://wows-numbers.com/player/531744469,Buford_T_Justice78/

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mogador unlocked. The Le Fantasque was fantastic. I'm not sure how I feel about the Mogador yet, the spotting distance is comically huge. Doesn't help that in both the ranked games I played in it, I went against a very good Tashkent player. Probably I'll learn to love it as well, feels like it's the same as Le Fantasque but moreso.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It’s insanely good and so is Kleber. Broken rear end ships, and in a way that’s really fun to play.

In ranked once I open water 1v1d a full health Stalingrad in a Marceau, the poor guy just couldn’t really do anything. Kleber doesn’t have the same sheer DPM output but it makes up for that in other ways.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I previously had the Marceau, which made me want to start playing French DDs. Of course the Marceau has floatier shells, but still the same gotta go fast gameplay.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Logged on to try out subs and...do they kind of suck poo poo?

In a couple of the games I played, the teams agreed to team kill their own subs at the beginning.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

kaesarsosei posted:

I saw a suggestion that Bronze ranked should be open to all (for shitters). Silver should require 50% WR in randoms and 1000 battles played. Gold require 55%/5000.

But I had a ranked game against this guy the other day, oh boy:
https://wows-numbers.com/player/531744469,Buford_T_Justice78/

That would just make it take longer to get a match and even longer to get rank 1. You're still going to get unbalanced skill levels on teams if there's a 55% win rate minimum, it'll just be 55% players instead of 52% players dragging their teams down with 3000 games in a single ranked season. If the developers wanted to make achieving rank 1 less frustrating the best thing they could do would be putting everyone in the same matchmaking pool with no leagues, so you could wait a week for all the tryhards to rank out and then play easy games against people with their country of residence in their username.

In any case there's not much of a reason to get rank 1 in gold league anymore, now that you can repeat the rewards for intermediate ranks every week. If you treat it like random battles with small teams and a tier restriction (and separate statistics, so you can do silly things without damaging your overall win rate if you care about that) it isn't any more frustrating than random battles are.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

St. Vincent unlocked. I did most of the Duncan in ranked, and it was an excellent ranked boat. Had a winrate of 73% in the thing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I still maintain that subs absolutely suck poo poo as a game mechanic, but I gotta admit this was pretty satisfying:

https://i.imgur.com/BTviB6N.mp4

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

St. Vincent unlocked. I did most of the Duncan in ranked, and it was an excellent ranked boat. Had a winrate of 73% in the thing.

Any advice on how to play that line, I'm only at the T7 but just not clicking. Guns feel anemic with He or AP and it's pretty fragile.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
T7 and T8 I found to be enjoyable, but fair ships. Fast, accurate, stealthy but not really tanky at all. At T9 and T10 its the same, but you also get a superheal. Oh, and the T10 might as well not have a citadel.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aramoro posted:

Any advice on how to play that line, I'm only at the T7 but just not clicking. Guns feel anemic with He or AP and it's pretty fragile.

The T7 is not amazing, but the T8, T9 and T10 are very good. Honestly I'd level the T7 in operations, it's very quick if you slap on a couple of XP bonus flags.

But in general:
- Your guns don't have amazing range, and they are not INCREDIBLY accurate at max range, so you don't want to be at max range.
- Your guns have good firing angles, especially if you're kiting. These things are pretty much built for kiting.
- At higher tiers your HE becomes the standard British BB bullshit HE, ie. you will get Witherers and Arsonists all time.
- Your AP shells have a very low arming threshold so you can smash cruisers very easily.
- You have decent speed and very good concealment (the T9 and T10 are very fast), and you want to maximize by taking Brisk. This will allow you to do unexpected moves and get into position quickly.
- This also means you don't practically ever have to take fights you don't want to. You will pretty much always be faster than enemies.
- You basically want to be at mid range, not rushing your opponents but not running away either.
- As kaesarsosei says, at T9 you get a super heal and at T10 your citadel is so far underwater it might not practically exist and at that point if you don't do stupid poo poo like take on half the enemy team by yourself or rush into torpedoes, you can survive things that would cripple most other BBs.

I think for the T7 just play a second line BB and try to support your DDs when possible. I honestly don't remember much about it, but the T8 felt very capable, the T9 is incredible and the T10 is busted.

E:

Here's flamu playing the Rooke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewTk_URR3iQ

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 11, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I saw a few people running Furious on the St. Vincent in brawls and my god that poo poo was annoying. I say "saw" them running furious but what I noticed was rage inducingly bad RNG and then later I realized "ohh I couldn't hit the fucker because he was on fire." Wack.

e: that or I suck rear end and I'm attributing it to the mysterious fire spells

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah some people recommend running Furious on the higher tier English battlecruisers, because they have the super heal and can just shrug off a lot of fire damage and the DPS boost is significant.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 11, 2023

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think its an auto-pick on Conq, St Vincent (and even Nelson tbh). I play it on those 3 ships instead of the usual Fire Prevention and treat 2 fires as the baseline/ignore and only hit DCP on 3. I also take Brisk.

When I die in those ships it's never because I am burned down, its because of the 32mm plating getting farmed/overmatched LRAC. Concealment, speed and whatever the anti-dispersion benefit of Furious really is worth are all more likely to save me than 1 less fire.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The anti dispersion benefits are real. I was losing fights to St Vincents in an Ohio. I probably should have turned my secondaries off completely but I didn’t realize what was happening until afterwards. I just thought they were comically lucky.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I finally bit the bullet and tried playing subs a bit to see what it's like from the other side. I did that with carriers before, and better understanding how they work and what their limitations are helped a lot with making playing against them less frustrating. Sure, those torpedo bombers are annoying, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that much damage, it's the only thing the cruiser player is doing for a few minutes, and there are reasonable ways to mitigate their impact.

Not so with subs. It is just as braindead easymode as it appears. You can really just sit at 10km and farm double-digit torpedo hits with no risk to yourself while still having a trivial "get out of trouble free" button. The only real danger is overextending to the point where enemies can rush you head-on.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah pretty much. The only exception is the British T6 sub because it's extremely slow (and still much faster than IRL subs were) and has no rear tubes so it's harder to position. But other than that you can just outrun most surface ships underwater so who gives a gently caress.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The T7 is not amazing, but the T8, T9 and T10 are very good. Honestly I'd level the T7 in operations, it's very quick if you slap on a couple of XP bonus flags.

This is a bit late, but Rooke is trash in Operations. Uniquely among T7 BBs it has enormous 16mm extremities that get turbo farmed by the robotically accurate bots. Just play it in randoms and flank, it's fine. Good, even.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

In general I don't really mind CV's but what''s up with the Russian ones, they don't seem to have any weaknesses. They drop a wall of torps, or their weird bouncing bombs and then gently caress off, shooting them down doesn't seem to have any affect on them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, basically their gimmick seems to be that all planes in a flight attack in one go, with the intended trade-off that you only get one attack run before they retreat, hit or miss. But since in practice most carriers often only get one, maybe two attack runs anyways before the remaining planes are shot down, that's often not much of a drawback.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aramoro posted:

In general I don't really mind CV's but what''s up with the Russian ones, they don't seem to have any weaknesses. They drop a wall of torps, or their weird bouncing bombs and then gently caress off, shooting them down doesn't seem to have any affect on them.

Their weakness is that the actual CV itself is extremely fragile and poorly armoured. No, this is not much of a weakness.

E: the new CV they just added in that you can buy only through gambling boxes, the British T8 Colossus, has AP rocket planes with a realistic alpha strike of 61k damage. By realistic I mean you can reliably hit for 61k on a broadside cruiser because the aiming circle is small enough that most rockets will hit and you'll score plenty of citadels. They are basically American Tiny Tims, except AP instead of HE. There are numerous videos out there of people literally one-shotting even T10 cruisers with the thing. The CV itself is slow and extremely poorly armoured, the planes are very slow (on a CV scale, they "only" go 130 knots) and the torpedo and HE bombers are apparently very bad, so I guess by WG's metric this counts as balanced.

Obviously these numbers are not 100% comparable because the Colossus has so few games, but doing 50% more damage than the extremely broken and OP Chkalov seems bad to me.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 22, 2023

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Rooke was the king of Tier 7 ranked a few seasons ago. I found the Hawke to be weaker at tier 8, as it has a larger citadel and faces a lot of stuff that doesn't give a poo poo about its armor. Duncan was a nice improvement, but I kept getting games that didn't fit its style. St Vincent is just goddamn silly on any situation where you can limit your incoming fire.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Goddamit the new EU DD line might get me to get back into this dumb dying game. Looks fun, assuming you don't have too many subs to worry about.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

wdarkk posted:

assuming you don't have too many subs to worry about.

Isn't that the problem with subs though? There's no actual counter or class that does well against them, they are a loving shitshow and IMO far worse than CVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

wdarkk posted:

Goddamit the new EU DD line might get me to get back into this dumb dying game. Looks fun, assuming you don't have too many subs to worry about.

Yeah they look kinda busted tbh. Insanely good shell velocity and arcs, monster DPM, smoke and 9km radar on the T10. Gonna suck to play a smoke DD in the future.