Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

what part of acab is so hard to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.
You said the rampaging horde was “dissembling” a barricade. How gauche.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

You probably have more in common with that maga gently caress than the people she was protesting, so you should.

both sides

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the american state summarily executing someone is bad

you don't need to rationalize it in anyway lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

So what's the diversity and inclusion angle on... sheltering human beings?

I'm so loving confused about what's going on with liberalism's competing desires to crush the poor but do it... progressively.

Take " shade equity". How can shade be unequal?

The ruling class libs are perfectly fine with crushing the poor, but they know the base libs won't necessarily go along for the ride. The progressive framing is there to fool the base libs, or at the very least give them an excuse to look the other way. It can also be used as a cudgel against anyone in the base who is impudent enough to state that this is a conservative and anti-homeless policy.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
i think several of you got syq'd and not normally the ones i'd expect to fall for such a basic posting tactic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/HuntClancy/status/1521684385262616577?t=bb7dML8v9w5XhKmqnm1ajw&s=19

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

going on record to say i dont give a gently caress if the racist fucks with badges kill the racist fucks without them and its also entirely consistent to also be against capitalist state sanctioned murder.

While I sympathize with this (and it's obviously better than the alternative of supporting said state-sanctioned murder), I still think it's kinda messed up and that people don't properly appreciate exactly what it means to shoot/kill someone

A way of reframing it would be to ask whether you'd care about a Republican being raped or tortured (or something else that we generally classify under "the sort of thing it's not okay to wish on other people"). While I'm sure some people would still be fine with this, I imagine it would be a lot fewer than are okay with them being shot (because "being shot" falls under this weird category where we've been conditioned to view it as a very "sterile" type of violence, as opposed stabbing or strangling someone to death, etc).

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

While I sympathize with this (and it's obviously better than the alternative of supporting said state-sanctioned murder), I still think it's kinda messed up and that people don't properly appreciate exactly what it means to shoot/kill someone

A way of reframing it would be to ask whether you'd care about a Republican being raped or tortured (or something else that we generally classify under "the sort of thing it's not okay to wish on other people"). While I'm sure some people would still be fine with this, I imagine it would be a lot fewer than are okay with them being shot (because "being shot" falls under this weird category where we've been conditioned to view it as a very "sterile" type of violence, as opposed stabbing or strangling someone to death, etc).

i support every leftist understanding if not being proficient with firearms because there's a totally non zero chance you will see them used against you and even if somehow you dont its extremely important to understand for safety and awareness exactly what they will do to someone or something they are directed at

that also being said, lol i will spend my energy caring about people that dont become the accidental victims of racist state violence more than whatever the gently caress this pearl clutching itt refuses to stop going on and every one of you egging on mcmagic at this point is part of the problem. just tell him to shut the gently caress up instead. or educate, idc. its agonizing to watch regardless. even worse is all of the loving words spent on defending a troop instead of someone who actually deserves attention.

and no i dont give a poo poo about bad things happening to bad people and i feel compelled to defend myself exactly zero at all no matter how much equivocating, reframing or hypothetical imaginary scenarios anyone would like to concoct in response. its literally that easy to maintain a consistent line on this subject.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

if a brave cop were to do their most needful duty of shooting mcmagic's favorite posting device, who am I to say the fascist state's monopoly on violence is a bad thing

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

the succ zone is very aggressive tonight

I propose a bonding exercise of talking about just how hard we plan to not vote for Joe biden (again)

because I definitely am going to not vote for Joe Biden and I hope that brightens the day of someone reading this

let's all unify around this fact unless someone admits to wanting to vote for Joe Biden, then I fully support poo poo getting even more toxic than this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Joe Biden sucks

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What a coincidence - I just finished watching Weekend At Bernie's for the first time. Felt really relevant to today's politics.

just watched it too. best movie ever made.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

that also being said, lol i will spend my energy caring about people that dont become the accidental victims of racist state violence more than whatever the gently caress this pearl clutching itt refuses to stop going on and every one of you egging on mcmagic at this point is part of the problem. just tell him to shut the gently caress up instead. or educate, idc. its agonizing to watch regardless. even worse is all of the loving words spent on defending a troop instead of someone who actually deserves attention.

and no i dont give a poo poo about bad things happening to bad people and i feel compelled to defend myself exactly zero at all no matter how much equivocating, reframing or hypothetical imaginary scenarios anyone would like to concoct in response. its literally that easy to maintain a consistent line on this subject.

I mean, chances are a lot of people (likely the vast majority) you interact with on a daily basis count as bad people by this understanding, since nearly everyone in America has views that are functionally terrible.

IMO whether people are "bad people" is completely irrelevant and the only thing that matters is whether people have power or not. Violence against people with power - the wealthy, people with political power, law enforcement - is fine, but that's because of "what" they are, rather than some moral judgement. And for anyone outside of that it's not exactly something to encourage, since most people are just subject to our society's propaganda/culture.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
:d2a:

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 09:17 on May 20, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Joe Biden sucks

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

"Bad people" lol

Yes, we know liberals create their own moral categories to absolve themselves of support for state violence. That's exactly what we're pointing out to mcmagic.

You don't add anything by swooping in to pronounce those victims are "bad people" and so you don't care if they die, other than to reinforce the point!

Of course you see this as "pearl clutching" because while we're discussing mechanisms of violence and support for violence, you're engaging in the exact same moralism.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Three whole paragraphs to let us know you don't care and don't feel the need to defend that.

Sure.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/jessiejensen/status/1659620010560729088

lol

"Where's Virgil?? :haw:"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

Three whole paragraphs to let us know you don't care and don't feel the need to defend that.

Sure.

I think the thing that bugs me about this stuff is that I understand where it comes from, but I think it's indicative of a very fundamental flaw in the way someone views the world.

Online discourse stuff also plays a big role. There are social pressures to make sure you don't say anything that could vaguely be construed as defending the person who has Bad Opinions. Do these people think that every black person murdered by the police has good opinions about the various social justice topics? This sort of thinking is quickly revealed to be completely insane when you try and apply it more consistently.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechaBriahna

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Shoot the rich, reeducate the racist.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

This sort of thinking is quickly revealed to be completely insane when you try and apply it more consistently.

but of course you're not supposed to, you're supposed to be insane. you're supposed to see gender equality in removing bus stops or the feminism in bombing afghanistan or democracy in supporting a one party country

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Gettin that n word pass

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

HiroProtagonist posted:

going on record to say i dont give a gently caress if the racist fucks with badges kill the racist fucks without them and its also entirely consistent to also be against capitalist state sanctioned murder.

its loving stupid as hell this needs to be said but mcmagic must keep posting to i guess???? defend police???? because you can also just say "i dont care" and thats entirely valid? instead look how many posts everyone else had to read where you justified it for ~reasons~.

it is entirely okay to not give a gently caress in this case my man, but you keep biting the bait and its getting beyond embarrassing into annoying. just take the L here and like, recognize that babbitt came from the same recruiting pool that fantasizes about doming anyone they think doesn't pass the paper bag test, you dont need to try and twist yourself into knots to reconcile that with the purpose of US police existing if you just call it friendly fire and leave it at that.

what

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I dont give a gently caress

1/87

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Officer Sickolas Nickolas

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Willa Rogers posted:

Keep in mind that mcmagic thinks that trump should be executed for treason; it then all starts to make sense.

mcmagic is right

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I think that's a Ron White (or was it Louis CK) bit lol but it's a good one

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Trump should be executed for being American

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

spacemang_spliff posted:

I think that's a Ron White (or was it Louis CK) bit lol but it's a good one

john mulaney

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

i say it all the time

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What a coincidence - I just finished watching Weekend At Bernie's for the first time. Felt really relevant to today's politics.
Weekend at Bernie's ftw

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Iodised QQ posted:

I propose a bonding exercise of talking about just how hard we plan to not vote for Joe biden (again)

because I definitely am going to not vote for Joe Biden and I hope that brightens the day of someone reading this

let's all unify around this fact unless someone admits to wanting to vote for Joe Biden, then I fully support poo poo getting even more toxic than this

:hai:
I will be proud to join you in the noble and always morally correct decision to not vote for Joe Biden.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the_steve posted:

:hai:
I will be proud to join you in the noble and always morally correct decision to not vote for Joe Biden.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BrotherJayne posted:

Lol, yes, your screenshot from a video game depecting a confrontation between a secret squirrel type operator and the resident of the domicile he is invading bears tremendous relevance to shooting a member of a rampaging horde in the process of dissembling a barricade.

Won't someone think of the dissembled barricades?!?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

I think the whole purpose of the media blitz on getting people to care about a potential default is to try to make people more accepting of the "necessary" compromises the dems intend to make. If no one is scared of the default because we all realize there's no way it's gonna happen as it would make rich people less rich and that's completely untenable in American politics, then it becomes clear any working across the aisle or agreements the dems is just stuff they wanted to do normally. I mean it shouldn't surprise anyone, Biden himself has been gunning for "entitlement" cuts for his entire career, he wants to gut these programs, but they really want a narrative that suggests he "had" to.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

I think this encapsulates the toddler-level thinking about good guys vs. bad guys that's turned u.s. political discourse into sewage.

"bad things happen to bad people, and of course she deserved to die by cop bc she was bad bc I said so bc she was with chuds & was likely chud herself. No, I won't define chud beyond someone who voted for trump."

what about the bad people who are perfectly fine with 80,000 others dying each year bc of being uninsured or underinsured? would you have the cops kill them too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Iodised QQ posted:

If you don't help joe defeat the fascists by voting for him then you're a fascist yourself, a bad person who deserves to be killed by cop.