Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
One of those sounds like another Kif's wacky reproduction episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

SolarFire2 posted:

One of those sounds like another Kif's wacky reproduction episodes.

It'll be the same kids from the first one. He did say they'd be able to live out of the water in 20 years and that episode aired in 2003.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

muscles like this! posted:

Are you thinking about the time he sold his shares of Planet Express to 80s Guy?

Future Stock is one of my top ten favorite episodes. The jokes be hitting hard in that one.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Attack of the Killer App was soul-crushingly bad, but it basically forced me -- a person who knew the show was beyond repair but didn't want to accept it -- to break up with the show.

I believe this is the episode in which I finally admitted to myself that new Futurama was never going to be near the quality of the initial run. Also....that if I were to continue watching.....I'd likely have to subject myself to some of the downright worst episodes of the show ever created.

Never think I actually got through all the episodes of the CC run. Maybe I should do it. I still consider Futurama to be the finest animated show of all time. But I have to qualify that statement by disregarding everything that happened after 'The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings'.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm gonna say this, though -- even when it's a bad episode of Futurama, it's still generally a watchable half hour of television. People watch all sorts of junk. I leave on Gordon Ramsay reality show reruns when I do chores, for instance. I've also watched like six seasons of the Big Bang Theory, and I think the worst episode of Futurama was more interesting than the best BBT episode (excluding the Susan Boyle episode, at least).

I'm not expecting classic Futurama masterpieces, but as long as they don't do anything too stupid and I get a few more hours of hanging out with Bender and Leela and Fry, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Phenotype posted:

I'm not expecting classic Futurama masterpieces, but as long as they don't do anything too stupid and I get a few more hours of hanging out with Bender and Leela and Fry, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

Same, if we get a bunch of decent enough episodes with a The Late Philip J. Fry sprinkled in once in a while I will be satisfied.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The landscape of animated comedies is so loving dire today that I cannot imagine this turning out that poorly. Low bar maybe, but I'm definitely open to returning to Futurama.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Phenotype posted:

I'm gonna say this, though -- even when it's a bad episode of Futurama, it's still generally a watchable half hour of television. People watch all sorts of junk. I leave on Gordon Ramsay reality show reruns when I do chores, for instance. I've also watched like six seasons of the Big Bang Theory, and I think the worst episode of Futurama was more interesting than the best BBT episode (excluding the Susan Boyle episode, at least).

Well said.

One of the reasons why I didn't understand the immense hatred of Arrested Development seasons 4 and 5. While I think 4 wasn't good.....it was still better than most networks sitcoms around the same time. And I liked season five.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

The landscape of animated comedies is so loving dire today that I cannot imagine this turning out that poorly. Low bar maybe, but I'm definitely open to returning to Futurama.

I don't claim to watch every one but like right now I'm keeping up and enjoying Lower Decks and Harley Quinn. Also waiting for Netflix to release more of Inside Job. Bird Girl isn't...great but there's something about it that I enjoy.

It could be worse.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Future Stock is one of my top ten favorite episodes. The jokes be hitting hard in that one.

It was all I could think of during the new season of Stranger Things.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Did anyone get into Disenchantment? So much carryover from Futurama....that I had high hopes. I think I only watched a few of the first episodes before turning it off.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Did anyone get into Disenchantment? So much carryover from Futurama....that I had high hopes. I think I only watched a few of the first episodes before turning it off.

I made it to the second? third? season before I trailed off.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Disenchantment was forever pinballing between wanting to take its story seriously and doing gags to the point it completely wasted its concepts and characters.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Disenchantment, in addition to not being that funny, was also WAY too serialized.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
And it managed to be very serialized but also not seem to give much of a drat about its plot. A lot of stuff happened but there was hardly ever any weight to it. Just the weirdest little failure of a show. All the right pieces but none of them fit together.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I watched all of it and episodes feel empty. In the later Futurama commentaries they mention how their writing room kept shrinking due to smaller and smaller budget. And disenchantment feels like a singe episode worth of content stretched over 16 episodes. Also the latter seasons made me happy when it was initially announced that Dimaggio won't be part of the Futurama renewal.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

And it managed to be very serialized but also not seem to give much of a drat about its plot. A lot of stuff happened but there was hardly ever any weight to it. Just the weirdest little failure of a show. All the right pieces but none of them fit together.

Every season ending with a heel turn by the same character was the most ridiculous thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked Disenchantment, it wasn't great, but it was fine and made me laugh more often than not. Is it anywhere the caliber of Futurama? Not really, but I still thought it was decent :shrug:

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
I didn’t mind Disenchantment but it really lacked good characters, so maybe the Futurama reboot will be better in that respect. I think I’m cautiously optimistic that this will be like the Comedy Central run where it’s mostly meh quality with a couple great episodes.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked Disenchantment, it wasn't great, but it was fine and made me laugh more often than not. Is it anywhere the caliber of Futurama? Not really, but I still thought it was decent :shrug:

To be fair, I didn't actively hate it or anything. It was fine background TV, but that's such a low bar to clear and with the talent involved you'd think that they could do more. Especially since the ideas could have been fun.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

To be fair, I didn't actively hate it or anything. It was fine background TV, but that's such a low bar to clear and with the talent involved you'd think that they could do more. Especially since the ideas could have been fun.

It was said in the thread but it feels like two very distinct writing groups are working on it and the way each episode was meant to work swung wildly from group to group

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I don’t know how you could save Elfo though, he was bad no matter what plot type you were going for.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Nanomachine Son posted:

I didn’t mind Disenchantment but it really lacked good characters, so maybe the Futurama reboot will be better in that respect. I think I’m cautiously optimistic that this will be like the Comedy Central run where it’s mostly meh quality with a couple great episodes.

Cautiously optimistic is that the Hulu reboot will be "meh" quality? I'm hoping that they spring for a decent sized writers room and the quality edges closer to the FOX run.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK-jHFUCEi8

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38dBBUuhjt8

Thank you! I don't know that I would have noticed this anytime soon otherwise. A really good commentary/breakdown is up.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

https://twitter.com/Zeurel/status/1659577900264476672?s=20 who's ready to laugh

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well we're boned

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I hope that's all in one episode and it's just a 30 second cold open of some dude screaming about bitcoin, vaccines, and cancel culture and then Bender beats the poo poo out of him. Roll opening credits, get into the otherwise unrelated episode.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'll wait until it gets a Blu-ray release.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I hope that's all in one episode and it's just a 30 second cold open of some dude screaming about bitcoin, vaccines, and cancel culture and then Bender beats the poo poo out of him. Roll opening credits, get into the otherwise unrelated episode.

It's all in one episode but the rest are irritating robot Santa episodes.

No wait, it's all in one episode but the rest are irritating bender episodes and stories that go on way too long.

No wait, it's all in one episode but the rest are retreading Leela and Fry will they won't they.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
If the released list of episode titles is right, it's going to be pretty dire. Lot of uninteresting political/social stuff that's probably already out of date.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

"Zapp Gets Cancelled,"

God no.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

woof i forgot that bit entirely and what... forgettable reference to pop culture not worth enshrining in cartoon form
Susan Boyle was only a thing in pop culture because people were shocked that somebody they didn't want to gently caress was good at singing and Futurama really shouldn't reference things so ephemeral or meanspirited.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Susan Boyle was only a thing in pop culture because people were shocked that somebody they didn't want to gently caress was good at singing and Futurama really shouldn't reference things so ephemeral or meanspirited.

As someone who had no idea who Susan Boyle was (still not entirely sure), it was just a funny singing boil voiced by Craig Ferguson.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I wonder how much funnier the episode would have been if I hadn't known who Susan Boyle was. Probably at least a tiny bit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MikusR posted:

As someone who had no idea who Susan Boyle was (still not entirely sure), it was just a funny singing boil voiced by Craig Ferguson.

I've legit no idea how you couldn't know who she was but it was probably different in the UK with how much she was just everywhere

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
She was pretty much everywhere in the US too for a few weeks, and a recurring joke on Ferguson's show. But yeah, it's weirder on rewatches that you could probably just chalk it up to weirdness than a cultural reference if you missed it when it happened.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

I wonder how much funnier the episode would have been if I hadn't known who Susan Boyle was. Probably at least a tiny bit.
I definitely would've, but it still might've had that whiff of "is this referencing something?"

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

I've legit no idea how you couldn't know who she was but it was probably different in the UK with how much she was just everywhere

She was prime fodder for shows like Entertainment Tonight and Access Hollywood, tabloid shows that love to play the "freaks done good" angle. Simon Cowell et. al. probably had a hand in making sure she was known on this side of the pond. At the same time, it was much easier to miss back then if you stayed online and off TV.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

These sure are some episode titles:
"Zapp Gets Cancelled,"

This one better be about him being on All My Circuits or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Futurama is an American show made by Americans. We knew who Susan Boyle was. She was everywhere for a minute. On TV and viral on all forms of social media as a feel-good story that super wasn't. It was just a reminder that we expect everybody to be model pretty.