Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love Modern Controls. Turns out playing like Smash was what I needed to love Street Fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Ahh man seems SF6 Juri is more of SF5 than SF4. Sad times.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Breetai posted:

Kimberly's mannerisms are so loving great, she's an absolute saltmine of a character and I wish that her playstyle gelled with me more because she seems fun to annoy people with. Ken appears fairly lacklustre tho. Apologies to the player I had my first online match with and who I swept on wakeup 7 times in a row but you gotta learn to block, bro.

Being greeted right off the bat by a character who is a walking trans pride flag is going to cause an amazing amount of chud meltdowns and I am here for that.

i got hosed big time online played against her for the first time

shes the new blanka

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If none of the players I played were bots then, god drat this netcode is fuckin good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i got hosed big time online played against her for the first time

shes the new blanka

But Blanka is in the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arzachel posted:

Find an empty lobby and you can training mode with no one bothering you

https://twitter.com/slayerYurrie/status/1659563388823904257

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't know the spectator mode shows frame data, attack information, and inputs, that's really cool.

PepperKeibu
May 1, 2009
The rank down protection in this game is obnoxious. I've been losing nonstop for awhile now and no matter how many times I lose I get -0 LP and remain at the same rank. A rank that I cannot win a match at. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to prevent players from ranking down to a rank better suited for their skill level.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

PepperKeibu posted:

The rank down protection in this game is obnoxious. I've been losing nonstop for awhile now and no matter how many times I lose I get -0 LP and remain at the same rank. A rank that I cannot win a match at. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to prevent players from ranking down to a rank better suited for their skill level.

Perhaps the game has faith in you. I know I do. :)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

teagone posted:

Chun's drive rush combos look so cool :allears: poo poo is super fun to do too. Real happy I can hit confirm a bunch of light attacks into drive rush lmao.

I still don't like.. quite get drive rush combos :(

Also wtf chun's level 2 super doesn't go through fireballs clean in this game? it's done that since she got it afaik! I tried to level 2 through a ryu's fireball and ended up trading. She's really super fun though, it kinda seems like drive rush combos are basically like focus attack cancels? Like you basically do the move, parry, dash cancel the parry?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I still don't like.. quite get drive rush combos :(

[...] it kinda seems like drive rush combos are basically like focus attack cancels? Like you basically do the move, parry, dash cancel the parry?

There are two ways to drive rush cancel: you can cancel parry into it (I haven't really figured out how to use this particular route into drive rush effectively/optimally), or you cancel any special cancellable attack normal into drive rush (this is like a much easier version of FADC). Cancelling parry into drive rush costs very little drive meter -- think it's like 1 bar? Or half of 1? -- while cancelling any special cancellable attack normal into drive rush costs 3 bars, so it's very committal imo. To do the latter, all you have to do is tap forward>forward after you hit whatever attack button. I'm very scrub-like, but here are a handful of drive rush combos with Chun that I feel like I can do fairly reliably:

https://twitter.com/timgonzales/status/1659664356513120256

The first combo is a pretty easy BnB to confirm. It's just st.LP>st.LP>st.LK drive rush st.LP>st.MP cancel into whatever combo ender (tensho kicks, SBK, lightning legs). If you can get that combo down, coming up with other drive rush combo routes becomes fairly simple, especially once you dial in the timing.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 20, 2023

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I have to say it. Juri's dirty rear end foot is gross

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

poe meater posted:

She has two feet and both of them are spotless. People love to just make poo poo up but facts are facts.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I didn't expect to enjoy Jamie as much as I do, but here I am

drat life is rough if your opponent doesn't let you have that first drink, though

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A tip for if anyone encounters sporadic drops to 30fps for like 20 seconds in a round, try turning off vsync. That seemed to fix the problem for me, running on an in many cases below min spec PC from like 10 years ago. It can still otherwise manage 60 on lowest settings, and I'll have to see where I can bump it up slightly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

inthesto posted:

drat life is rough if your opponent doesn't let you have that first drink, though

Maybe it's a history of playing zoners, but I've found Jamie pretty good at creating the space he needs to take a swig. A successful throw gives you enough space.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS
maybe i'm just a curmudgeonly old man at this point but i cannot get over having to spend meter to have a good normal

aside from that it's pretty cool but i'm big mad they left vega out. give me my yodeling spanish psychopath you loving cowards. i don't care you made him too good thirty years ago. fuckin get over it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Watching people break this game is gonna be fun

https://youtu.be/o9OLXw8rlck

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Juri is really fun in this game

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

none of the characters i want to play are in this beta but juri is fun

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

teagone posted:

There are two ways to drive rush cancel: you can cancel parry into it (I haven't really figured out how to use this particular route into drive rush effectively/optimally), or you cancel any special cancellable attack normal into drive rush (this is like a much easier version of FADC). Cancelling parry into drive rush costs very little drive meter -- think it's like 1 bar? Or half of 1? -- while cancelling any special cancellable attack normal into drive rush costs 3 bars, so it's very committal imo. To do the latter, all you have to do is tap forward>forward after you hit whatever attack button. I'm very scrub-like, but here are a handful of drive rush combos with Chun that I feel like I can do fairly reliably:

The first combo is a pretty easy BnB to confirm. It's just st.LP>st.LP>st.LK drive rush st.LP>st.MP cancel into whatever combo ender (tensho kicks, SBK, lightning legs). If you can get that combo down, coming up with other drive rush combo routes becomes fairly simple, especially once you dial in the timing.

Oh dang, that's way simpler than I was trying to do lol. Kinda reminds me of Rising Thunder in that regard sounds like

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

A tip for if anyone encounters sporadic drops to 30fps for like 20 seconds in a round, try turning off vsync. That seemed to fix the problem for me, running on an in many cases below min spec PC from like 10 years ago. It can still otherwise manage 60 on lowest settings, and I'll have to see where I can bump it up slightly.

the screen tearing is awful without vsync for me sadly but also im not seeing drops

game says it went down for maintenance boo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh dang, that's way simpler than I was trying to do lol. Kinda reminds me of Rising Thunder in that regard sounds like

Yeah, once I realized the command for drive rush from a cancellable normal is just forward>forward and not the parry input cancel, it made figuring out drive rush combos so much easier lmao.

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

teagone posted:

One tip for the parry cancel drive rush: if you press forward and then drive rush + forward it comes out pretty almost instantly! Makes it easy to do midcombo if you're like doing it off of ryu's ex donkey kick wallsplat or something like that

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

inthesto posted:

Still experimenting and seeing what sticks, but clipping my opponent's feet with the sweep target combo has been a pretty fun way to get drinks, I'm only high bronze right now, but it's a start.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

pizzabutt posted:

One tip for the parry cancel drive rush: if you press forward and then drive rush + forward it comes out pretty almost instantly! Makes it easy to do midcombo if you're like doing it off of ryu's ex donkey kick wallsplat or something like that

Oh yeah, I learned that instant drive rush from Max's stream but have no idea how to utilize it with Chun, lol... but then I saw this absurd combo from Desk earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9OLXw8rlck

The damage scaling from drive rush parry cancelling clearly makes it a sub-optimal combo, but it's definitely cool for styling on someone. It's a combo with that salt bonus, lol.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
yeah, that's The Sauce right there.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://i.imgur.com/sS7n3VF.mp4

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

teagone posted:

Oh yeah, I learned that instant drive rush from Max's stream but have no idea how to utilize it with Chun, lol... but then I saw this absurd combo from Desk earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9OLXw8rlck

The damage scaling from drive rush parry cancelling clearly makes it a sub-optimal combo, but it's definitely cool for styling on someone. It's a combo with that salt bonus, lol.

Game is good

MonsterEnvy posted:

I love Modern Controls. Turns out playing like Smash was what I needed to love Street Fighter.

Happy to hear! Now that you love Street Fighter, please see the 90s anime film if you haven't. And maybe see the Raul Julia film too if you love B-movies. And the comics are good too. But really, the characters and vibe are a big fun part of the saga for me.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 20, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Jamie might be a really good character for me not just because I seem decent with him, but also because he's suddenly making me think about fighting games in the approach I know that the genre's 'suppoosed' to have. I feel like he's doing a better job of teaching me fundamentals than any other character.

Jamie basically forces the opponent into making the first move, because if they don't, then he gets a drink. Most people are bad at making the first move, which makes them fairly predictable, so then it's a matter of looking at the opponent and going 'okay, Kimberly's probably going to rush straight in with that low kick, so let's pre-emptively punish that'. And then for most times he wins that clash, he gets enough space to take a drink, which just makes him better at stuff. He's also got, at high drink levels, just a really easy and effective road to hit confirms, to help teach what those are and how to do them.

Granted, I'm still bad at most of these, and Jamie isn't exactly a box full of answers; I haven't found a good anti-air, and he definitely lacks ranged options. But he kinda forces the game into an easier-to-read gamestate, and that's great.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PepperKeibu posted:

Bahahah I said this exact thing would happen the moment I heard that you couldnt rank down and nobody believed me that this would be a problem.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I mean rank loss prevention only lasts until like gold or something, doesn't it? And as ever, wins come with improvement, not the other way around. There are of course still issues with what if you get on a hot streak, but I assume the tiers are wide enough that that is probably unlikely unless you're legit better.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 20, 2023

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Or your friend comes over and smurfs on your account a bit while eating pizza and drinking Dr Pepper and just being bros.

Now your account is trapped at Gold when you have no business being up that high and have no way to end up back at an appropriate ranking

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is your friend refusing to play casual matches for some reason

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

morestuff posted:

Is your friend refusing to play casual matches for some reason

Perhaps. Or clicked the wrong button. Point is thats not an unrealistic scenario and it shouldnt even be a problem, but because capcom said demotions hurt feelings youre hosed

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I feel like the best matchmaking would be invisible. Just use the data to hook us up with a good match, we don't need labels for our shoddiness.

Just DLed the beta on steam by the way, gonna be good! 7 days of Zelda, legendary, turns out I was ready for a Street Fighter break.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poe meater posted:

SF6 is horny for feet now. You'll have to deal with it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I can't with the battle hub music.

That smooth jazz is really good, it just makes me.... not want to play the game. Like, "I'mma go pour me a glass of whiskey and listen to the clink of the ice in the glass" not play the game.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Gutcruncher posted:

Perhaps. Or clicked the wrong button. Point is thats not an unrealistic scenario and it shouldnt even be a problem, but because capcom said demotions hurt feelings youre hosed

There could be a hidden MMR that will treat you as demoted, while the front-facing MMR is all about positive reinforcement. It's been a thing recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I main Guile. Sonic Blade in this seems to come out agonizingly slow compared to SFV. I'm just not able to use it effectively. But, I'm also not very good at the game.

Is anyone finding Sonic Blade useful? How are you using it?