Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

The killer whales have had enough of our poo poo and have decided to take over

https://twitter.com/willrinehart/status/1659577200478224384?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

White Gladis is the perfect name for the architect of the orcas' brutal revolution, too. Looking forward to her learning to use a machine-gun, a la Land of the Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_Sem03i4Q

Nelson was right.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is a tough one, coz orca are generally pretty cunty, but then so are humans.

Looking for this to end with mutually assured destruction

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

orca are generally pretty cunty, but then so are humans.

this is unfair. find me an orca as passionate and relatable as sir kier starmer

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Convex posted:

this is unfair. find me an orca as passionate and relatable as sir kier starmer

I’m sure a dead one will wash up somewhere sooner or later.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

would love to but the RAF are using all the planes for sorties over the channel to scare off small boats

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed the telegraph's refreshingly honest piece about how all British weapons are poo poo but the point of donating them is to shame other countries into sending functional ones.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The local council election results in Northern Ireland have been coming in today but there's almost no coverage as all the BBC correspondents are on strike.

But it looks like Sinn Féin is well on its way to overtaking the DUP to become the largest party in councils as well as in the Assembly.

No idea if my Alliance candidate got in or not but it's nice to see SF making headway overall, anything to distress the DUP/TUV loonies (sad SDLP noises until they get their bloody act together).

Nilbop posted:

Gaelic is great as long as I'm watching it and never, ever asked to play it again.

Me as the fat kid just hanging round our own goal posts swinging my hurly in a forlorn fashion. :sigh:

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Thanks for the invite but I think I'll pass.

Although coincidentally I was looking at a music festival in Dorset earlier today, End of the Road, entirely because it's King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard's only UK show of the year, but there's not enough bands on the lineup that I'm into for me to justify it. Although the new King Giz is real good.

Was doing exactly the same yesterday. £235 for a ticket to a festival I've never heard of and know none of the other bands though ugh

I live in Brixton and they were meant to play at the Academy this year, but not now ofc

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

After Superbug predicted the rona I’m concerned about the track listing for their new disaster themed album

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

forkboy84 posted:

Thanks for the invite but I think I'll pass.

Although coincidentally I was looking at a music festival in Dorset earlier today, End of the Road, entirely because it's King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard's only UK show of the year, but there's not enough bands on the lineup that I'm into for me to justify it. Although the new King Giz is real good.

They played Alexander Palace like two months ago, and whilst not my bag I couldn't fault them for putting on a really good show.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wafflecop posted:

Was doing exactly the same yesterday. £235 for a ticket to a festival I've never heard of and know none of the other bands though ugh

I live in Brixton and they were meant to play at the Academy this year, but not now ofc

Deerhoof are pretty cool. Oren Ambarchi is a guitarist who does fun weird noise & has collaborated with people like Sunn O))) & Merzbow. Geese & Murder Capital are both bands I've gotten albums for my ma at Christmas & are sort of indie/post-punk stuff.

That's the extent of my knowledge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Deerhoof are pretty cool. Oren Ambarchi is a guitarist who does fun weird noise & has collaborated with people like Sunn O))) & Merzbow. Geese & Murder Capital are both bands I've gotten albums for my ma at Christmas & are sort of indie/post-punk stuff.

That's the extent of my knowledge.

I'm absolutely stunned by the number of people here who haven't heard of Wilco. They've been a big name in indie rock for over 20 years.

Apart from that I know Joan Shelley (solid folkie), Fatoumata Diawara (Malian traditional), and Nina Nastasia (anaemic Tori Amos).

Testro
May 2, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

Most Likely. Though Aussie rules is also a fantastic sport and I highly recommend understanding and watching it, because it's one of the best things on the planet if you enjoy live sport. When I was at uni we had American and Canadian exchange students come to Australia, and they all ended up leaving die hard footy fans.
Yeah, I started following AFL after visiting Australia in 2004. It's super easy now as a UK fan with the official Watch AFL service. Highly recommended.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The grifters and bungboys are getting in on the action nice and early with Keith

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1659824923877990400?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Sure the high streets are wastelands and the water is full of poo poo but let’s spunk some government billions on a Chatbot

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Kieth should be banned from making pledges. The only ones he has stuck to are the 10 BoD pledges that all the LOTO candidates made back in 2020.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There was a large crowd marching through Manchester just now against what appeared to be every wingnut conspiracy theory going - vaccines, digital currencies, fifteen minute cities, you name it. Just absolutely uncoordinated and bizarre.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I am also against bitcoin lizards banning me from walking for more than 15 minutes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

A great British cloud of baked bean, cabbage and greggs sausage roll flatus

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NI thread people. This is incredible from the BBC. “Is it bad for democracy that you have democratically won seats? “

https://twitter.com/joeedwyer/status/1659893863442513920?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I have nothing against the Catholics, Norman, I just don't think they should be voting like that."

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is truly insane. A Unionist arguing that it’s unfair Sinn Fein won so much and they should have let unionists have a chance. This is endgame stuff

https://twitter.com/SluggerOToole/status/1659881741337722886?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guess we found out who the 'many' the Mail were talking to are.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

smellmycheese posted:

The grifters and bungboys are getting in on the action nice and early with Keith

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1659824923877990400?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Sure the high streets are wastelands and the water is full of poo poo but let’s spunk some government billions on a Chatbot

Fun fact, that amount would be enough to significantly help social housing, pretty much the only viable way to boost affordable housing and keep housing prices reasonable.

Of course with most of mps being landlords that probably sounds like armageddon to them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Imagine how much money we could save by automating neoliberal MPs though

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

The policy failure around housing prices is really interesting. If you read most UK thinktank reports into it they tend to agree that it's neither a supply issue nor a market failure issue (with the exception of rogue landlords and short-termism) and mostly highlight the lack of affordable mortgages as a reason for falling home ownership rates. Those two happen to be the things that the government has tried to change lately, by improving tenant rights and making mortgages more accessible again.

What they only briefly touch on is that improving mortgage conditions will lead to further rise in the price of housing - they don't mention this is in the same section, but they tend to mention it when they break down the components of housing costs - those being the cost of social and private rents, availability of credit and the desire of capital to seek a store of value.

Where it gets interesting is if you look into actual research into housing, where suddenly you get to comparative analysis between countries and the one consistent fact is that social housing and availability of land zoned for housing are the two major differences between places with affordable and less affordable housing.

Within the developed nation context there is this, with both France and Germany being notably better at social housing than contemporary UK:

Odd how that reflects in the affordability, innit.

e: Also Canada happens to have more affordable housing in terms of rents, despite all the moaning from them about it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 20, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

The policy failure around housing prices is really interesting. If you read most UK thinktank reports into it they tend to agree that it's neither a supply issue nor a market failure issue (with the exception of rogue landlords and short-termism) and mostly highlight the lack of affordable mortgages as a reason for falling home ownership rates. Those two happen to be the things that the government has tried to change lately, by improving tenant rights and making mortgages more accessible again.

What they only briefly touch on is that improving mortgage conditions will lead to further rise in the price of housing - they don't mention this is in the same section, but they tend to mention it when they break down the components of housing costs - those being the cost of social and private rents, availability of credit and the desire of capital to seek a store of value.

Where it gets interesting is if you look into actual research into housing, where suddenly you get to comparative analysis between countries and the one consistent fact is that social housing and availability of land zoned for housing are the two major differences between places with affordable and less affordable housing.

Within the developed nation context there is this, with both France and Germany being notably better at social housing than contemporary UK:

Odd how that reflects in the affordability, innit.

e: Also Canada happens to have more affordable housing in terms of rents, despite all the moaning from them about it.

World Bank country codes for those (ie moi) trying to figure out where some of those countries are!

https://wits.worldbank.org/wits/wits/witshelp/content/codes/country_codes.htm

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

I'm absolutely stunned by the number of people here who haven't heard of Wilco. They've been a big name in indie rock for over 20 years.

Apart from that I know Joan Shelley (solid folkie), Fatoumata Diawara (Malian traditional), and Nina Nastasia (anaemic Tori Amos).

Wilco are in that weird spot where I know the name & I know they are quite acclaimed, but have never actually gone & listened to them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

country codes for those (ie moi)
Ireland, Moizambique

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Ireland, Moizambique

I know you know I meant "me, myself and I".

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

If this doesn’t make you want to burn it all down nothing will

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/may/20/polly-toynbee-what-my-privileged-start-in-life-taught-me-about-the-british-class-system

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Book shorter than the vanity article is a fun twist on self publishing

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Canada’s problem is similar to the UK in that housing in the middle of nowhere is relatively cheap, but if you want to live where there are actual jobs then you’re hosed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Polly Tonyblair writing a novel justifying her existence while Adrian Chiles just blissfully ranks all of the different pringles.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Julio Cruz posted:

Canada’s problem is similar to the UK in that housing in the middle of nowhere is relatively cheap, but if you want to live where there are actual jobs then you’re hosed

It's still more affordable to rent in aggregate, somewhat. Mortgages are more expensive in Canada but it's not a huge difference either way.

Housing in the middle of nowhere doesn't affect median prices and wages too much, since there aren't that many people living there and if there were you'd have lower wages.

e: It's basically the same "problem" most places in the world, more of a natural consequence of urbanisation than anything else. High-density housing is the only thing that helps address it, but even then it's not much of a factor overall except in terms of zoning regulations distorting the market.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 20, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

NI thread people. This is incredible from the BBC. “Is it bad for democracy that you have democratically won seats? “

https://twitter.com/joeedwyer/status/1659893863442513920?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

ah yes please think of the poor aontu loonies and the bloke who ran for council who wants to employ council witch finders

and demon hunters

crispix fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 20, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But who else will prevent the demons?

I see those youths in their hooded robes passing around burning foreign herbs at night crispix. I know what they're up to. They are summoning Marquis Marchosias to answer their homework. :mad:

This is why my garden gnomes disappear.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Looks like she’s annoyed Rishi enough for the papers to remember something

https://twitter.com/harryyorke1/status/1659951990741368834?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Why's Philip Schofield left This Morning with immediate effect, and why are all the papers doing that: "Hee hee, we know more than we're telling, hint hint!" thing?