Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

phosdex posted:

Is there something that can be done relatively cheaply to raise or something this part of my driveway that water pools on?

Oh wow, that's a perfectly framed picture of bad soil prep at the opening of your garage. The didn't compact it nearly enough when they were building a "ramp" to grade.

You might be able to get that mudjacked back where it's supposed to be - that puddle is just the lowest spot, it's all too low to some extent based on the cracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

phosdex posted:

Is there something that can be done relatively cheaply to raise or something this part of my driveway that water pools on?

Nope.

Best option would be to have it mud jacked. I'd really have to hate that spot to do that, as in, it ices up regularly and in my walking path so it's a serious slip hazard.

Skim coating anything on top is likely to fail because of how thin it would be and the challenge to get the topping to adhere to it.

Most expensive would be remove all the concrete and add a trench drain, then pour it back.

Edit, if it's otherwise pretty flat and smooth I would leave it as is. Shrinkage cracking is fine and the minor lip at the garage entrance is unobtrusive and is a barrier to water entering your garage.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 19, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Draw a line from the deepest part of the puddle to the expansion joint by your garage, then go buy a diamond tip masonry dremel bit and wearing real safety goggles, trace the line with the Dremel tool. If you live in an area where it freezes more than a couple days a year you might need to bevel the deepest parts of the line so you don't introduce a crack propagation point

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

Draw a line from the deepest part of the puddle to the expansion joint by your garage, then go buy a diamond tip masonry dremel bit and wearing real safety goggles, trace the line with the Dremel tool. If you live in an area where it freezes more than a couple days a year you might need to bevel the deepest parts of the line so you don't introduce a crack propagation point

Please do not route water back to your house. Guide it to the planter if you want but a thin puddle of water is nothing to be concerned about, it will evaporate harmlessly. If you have more water where does it go? Does it drain away from the garage? If so, leave it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

All other water drains off the driveway, it's just that little spot. It's in the shade year round too. In the winter it becomes a little ice patch, but last year I just walked around it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That is technically correct advice, but that puddle looks like it's ⅛" deep and the deepest part of the puddle is 2" from the expansion joint, a 3/16" notch is probably inconsequential during any kind of water event

That said if you're up to it, go get a circular masonry saw and cut a slightly longer, deeper notch either to the planter at the top of the picture, or to the right to the existing drainage crack in the driveway. Bevel as much as possible to avoid new cracks

Edit: if it becomes an icy patch then definitely bevel the gently caress out of it, it's definitely gonna cause a crack otherwise

Double edit: here

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 19, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hadlock posted:

That is technically correct advice, but that puddle looks like it's ⅛" deep and the deepest part of the puddle is 2" from the expansion joint, a 3/16" notch is probably inconsequential during any kind of water event

No. If we add a canal back to the house it will forever divert water toward the house first and consistently. It's a bad idea. Currently it collects and drains away which is better.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can redneck mudjack with that door foam stuff if you insist upon the cheapest

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

You can redneck mudjack with that door foam stuff if you insist upon the cheapest

This type of thing interests me way too much. Off to youtube university.........

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

This type of thing interests me way too much. Off to youtube university.........

If you find a good vid please share

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DoubleT2172 posted:

If you find a good vid please share

This seems to be pretty representative and......yeah....I can see how this would work under the right circumstances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkM2KJf_Xcc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mean if you're ok with drilling a hole in the concrete, just drill a hole in the lowest point of the puddle. It won't drain immediately, but probably within half a day

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I mean if you're ok with drilling a hole in the concrete, just drill a hole in the lowest point of the puddle. It won't drain immediately, but probably within half a day

This isn't as bad as your previous advice of draining it into the house, but it's still pretty bad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it's fine so long as the hole you drill remains lubricated, toss in some used motor oil periodically

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, if you have any left over from fertilizing your grass

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If the hole ever gets jammed up, using an old lead pipe to poke through and clear it up works really well.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ideally you install a pump under the hole that redirects the water into another hole that's directly under your living room carpet

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Or you could Grover it outside a nearby window :grovertoot:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Why not just move somewhere with a better driveway?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just install a drain there.

That is the second most expensive option lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pack dirt in the low spot

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just fill in the dip with molten gold like a normal person

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And fill in the cracks with gold too, unless you are a stupid baka

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm gonna do what the previous owner did and just leave it for the next owner to figure out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Go with the canal option, then sell it at a premium to a dutch family

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Your home is a write-off I'd just abandon it at this point.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
To paraphrase Stephen Stills: Should you not get the pond you want, want the pond you got.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We bought a house with a fireplace for the first time, and since we have a 2 year-old the first thing we did was take a big colorful segmented babygate that we already had and created a perimeter around the hearth just to prevent him from getting at it. Is there a more elegant solution here? It's a gas fireplace so it'd feel kind of goofy to put a fireplace screen in front of it, but is that actually what we should be doing?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
We closed ours off with a large, cut-up garbage bag and tape. Ours was also gas and our daughter kept trying to eat the decorative rocks.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

When we bought our house, my wife wasn’t working at the loan officer basically said “eh, it doesn’t matter if she’s on the loan because your lawyer can put her on the title as a co owner”. With everything going on, we forgot to mention that to our lawyer until it was apparently too late. His stance was she needed to be on the loan. So we closed without her on the title and he said he’d file an amendment or something later to be put on the title/deed/whatever.

Through multiple emails and calls, he hasn’t replied over a year, so we’re giving up on him.

Who is the best person to contact to get my wife placed on the title/documents for our house even though I’m the only one on the loan? Another real estate lawyer? The town hall?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess is that since it's been over a year you'll need a formal deed recording petition and somehow file for waiver of title transfer tax which sounds like a huge pain in the rear end and possibly expensive

I'd send a letter in writing via certified mail to your lawyer that you're gonna file a formal complaint with the local bar if they don't do it

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Looking for some advice here...

This morning on my way upstairs I glanced down the 2nd floor hallway and had to ask myself the homeowner's favorite question: Why is the floor shiny?

Turned out that my partner's Cat Genie, basically a robotic litterbox that draws water from below the sink, had spewed at least a gallon of diluted feline waste onto the LVT flooring. Mopping that up was straightforward, but I don't know what to do about the fluid that made its way into the 1st floor dining room's lath-and-plaster ceiling and is now dripping from a 60yr old track light fixture. I've got a bucket catching the drops, just not sure what I can do to dry out the ceiling or when it will be OK to turn those lights on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

yurtcradled posted:

Looking for some advice here...

This morning on my way upstairs I glanced down the 2nd floor hallway and had to ask myself the homeowner's favorite question: Why is the floor shiny?

Turned out that my partner's Cat Genie, basically a robotic litterbox that draws water from below the sink, had spewed at least a gallon of diluted feline waste onto the LVT flooring. Mopping that up was straightforward, but I don't know what to do about the fluid that made its way into the 1st floor dining room's lath-and-plaster ceiling and is now dripping from a 60yr old track light fixture. I've got a bucket catching the drops, just not sure what I can do to dry out the ceiling or when it will be OK to turn those lights on.

It's not going to dry any time soon unless and until you open it up and stick a fan up there. This has the added benefit of being able to inspect the area for damage.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

It's not going to dry any time soon unless and until you open it up and stick a fan up there. This has the added benefit of being able to inspect the area for damage.

So, minor demolition and patch the ceiling later?

We're busy enough with work right now that I might just pay a contractor to open it up and dry it out. Should have one over later today for a consultation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

yurtcradled posted:

We're busy enough with work right now that I might just pay a contractor to open it up and dry it out. Should have one over later today for a consultation.

Yeah, shouldn't be a huge deal. You really just need to get some air movement up there to stop any additional damage/potential sagging of the plaster or mold formation. A small hole or two (like 14x14 or stud bay width) will do that and be relatively easy to patch later. It's not like you need to demo the ceiling.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

yurtcradled posted:

What's this liquid like? I'd be more concerned about lingering smell (or is it super diluted?)

Cat piss is the loving worst. We had a project where a whole herd had been living in a crawlspace and they had to dig out all the dirt to stop the house from reeking.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Two years into home ownership and having to face the reality that yes, our yard is in fact infested with creeping bellflower(on the noxious invasive species list for Alberta), lily of the valley is following quickly on the heels of the bellflower, and there's some species of daisy trying to take over the front lawn. Now I'm sitting here trying to find a weedkiller that the bellflower isn't resistant to and reading up on how to get rid of all this poo poo.

I just want to enjoy my hostas and my fish pond, man. :(

Sorry I have nothing actually useful to contribute. I just needed to vent about this for a moment.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Sloppy posted:

What's this liquid like? I'd be more concerned about lingering smell (or is it super diluted?)

Cat piss is the loving worst. We had a project where a whole herd had been living in a crawlspace and they had to dig out all the dirt to stop the house from reeking.

Very dilute. No noticeable odor. Some small organic particles and a few clumps of soggy hair.

The Cat Genie cleaning cycle automatically scoops any solids from the bed of microplastic beads, then rinses the beads with water, mixes a sanitizer into the drainage, and pumps the fluid out through a hose. We don't have a reasonable drain hookup nearby so we let the hose hang over the edge of a sink in the kitchenette. Which was, in hindsight, a disaster waiting to happen.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Canadian Bakin posted:

Two years into home ownership and having to face the reality that yes, our yard is in fact infested with creeping bellflower(on the noxious invasive species list for Alberta), lily of the valley is following quickly on the heels of the bellflower, and there's some species of daisy trying to take over the front lawn. Now I'm sitting here trying to find a weedkiller that the bellflower isn't resistant to and reading up on how to get rid of all this poo poo.

I just want to enjoy my hostas and my fish pond, man. :(

Sorry I have nothing actually useful to contribute. I just needed to vent about this for a moment.

Yeah we have creeping bellflower as well and it’s so frustrating. I pull it by hand, but the roots are ridiculous. It’s also in my neighbor’s yard who seem to not care about it, so it just keeps coming back through the fence.

We also have tree of heaven, which is horrible and crops up loving everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's that drat purple bell