Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sundae posted:

Ladies and gentlemen... a loving pharmaceutical company:

"Vaccines are available and they are essential tools to keeping our workforce healthy. Therefore, effective immediately, we will no longer require them.
Also, we are big-boys now and will no longer require sippy-cups or help with our shoe velcro."

:wtc:

This is whomever is writing telling you they are not doing it voluntarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I gotta start learning Tableau or PowerBI.

Shouldn’t be too bad to pick up if I allocate some Fridays to it. I don’t want to, but our VP had a whole spiel about how excel is outdated for our business needs so I need to play the game and send them some non-excel deliverables to show I’m a good boy.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

I gotta start learning Tableau or PowerBI.

Shouldn’t be too bad to pick up if I allocate some Fridays to it. I don’t want to, but our VP had a whole spiel about how excel is outdated for our business needs so I need to play the game and send them some non-excel deliverables to show I’m a good boy.

I work at a start-up that competes with those two products and let me tell you, the only reason to learn and use any of these tools over Excel is for this exact reason.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dukberry posted:

I work at a start-up that competes with those two products and let me tell you, the only reason to learn and use any of these tools over Excel is for this exact reason.

Data visualization is really neat when the use case warrants it.

When some broke-brained CFO keeps being concerned that "work from home" might mean that the employee is "doing laundry on company time" (as if they were slaving away for hours over a wash tub with a wash board - rather than spending 90 seconds hucking a basket of clothes into the washer and then forgetting about it for 2+ hours) - says Idiot Brained things like "Excel is dead, it is the past, these other tools are the future" then yeah. Like, just because semi trucks exist doesn't mean there isn't a use case for pickup trucks and box trucks, bro; they do different things.

SAP isn't going to download to PowerTableauCBT for another 90 years; I'm gonna need Excel in the meantime.

Just a bunch of stupid people elevated way above their intellectual capacity making noises in a desperate attempt to sound smart.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
There are options in between Excel and Tableau/PowerBI though... Not every business is going to need something that powerful or expensive, but may have reached the point that they've outgrown Excel.:shrug:

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

bee posted:

There are options in between Excel and Tableau/PowerBI though... Not every business is going to need something that powerful or expensive, but may have reached the point that they've outgrown Excel.:shrug:

Excel with power query and powerpivot is essentially powerbi anyway from a backend point of view. Just dress the charts up to look like power bi charts and call it a day.

Unless boss wants animated bubble charts, they need powerbi to work unfortunately.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Luckily we already had a lot of PowerBI stuff set up when our newest CFO was onboarded so he has been a happy camper for a while now. Also quick turnaround for inane change requests is a pro tip here...
...buuut now he wants AI and ML poo poo in there too and we are gonna have to do evasive manouvers for a while now lol.

Still if you want to push your pretty graphs to hundreds of people Powerbi service is pretty useful. Also for sharing and managing automatically updated datasets.

For more bespoke poo poo, then Excel with Powerpivot is hard to beat though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
PowerPoint with the ThinkCell addin is all that you need.

Just make up the numbers and create the most bespoke waterfall charts

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

bee posted:

Completely agree though I find it kind of hard to believe an entire enterprise has outgrown excel.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
We got forcefed anaplan because the cto bought a shitload of licenses. Then left to be the cto of anaplan.

It feels ok or maybe even good for really narrow use cases. But trying to port bog standard tracking poo poo into anaplan is weird as hell...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Friday "huddle" meeting with our VP sent out with 40 minutes notice. No agenda, no idea what it's about. Definitely not good.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Best case scenario: someone’s leaving
Worst case scenario: someone’s leaving

Mid case scenario: your VP is clueless

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FrozenVent posted:

Worst case scenario: someone’s sorry, you're leaving

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Division re-org, one VP retiring, moving some teams from one umbrella to another. Nothing major at this time.

Way to stress folks out though, I think they may like doing it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Tbf not like a meeting notice titled “org changes” would be better

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Baddog posted:

We got forcefed anaplan because the cto bought a shitload of licenses. Then left to be the cto of anaplan.

It feels ok or maybe even good for really narrow use cases. But trying to port bog standard tracking poo poo into anaplan is weird as hell...

Anaplan is great for planning activity, and for really really basic analytics. It's strength and weakness is that only builders can change formulae and other structural poo poo. So you stop Fred in accounting from changing his copy of the budget spreadsheet to calculate pension costs slightly different to everyone else for the bits of the business he deals with, but you also stop the entire analytics team from doing stuff they'd find trivial in excel unless you buy them a builder license.

I loving love it for capacity planning and budgeting and it's not great at doing anything else.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Tbf not like a meeting notice titled “org changes” would be better

Organizational Announcement is another one of those doom headers

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

i can only read it as Analpain

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
what is the analplan

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
anaplan analytics 5 times quickly

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Lisa needs braces

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Tobias Fünke, Analplanner

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dukberry posted:

I got propositioned (for a job offer) by Tableau once, back before Salesforce snapped them up.

When I got out of university, I went to look them up, but Salesforce had acquired them by that time and I got no response to my application.

Such is life, I guess.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Did my mid year review today with chatGPT and it was an incredible experience. Fed it a few bullets of accomplishments and the format of the review template. A couple back and forth exchanges and I had the best one I've ever written. Just incredible stuff.

I have no guilt since the content was all mine, but I outsourced all the flowery corporate prose and perfunctory bullshit. 10/10, would use again

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TraderStav posted:

I have no guilt since the content was all mine, but I outsourced all the flowery corporate prose and perfunctory bullshit. 10/10, would use again

In a perfect world we could get crap like chatGPT to actually help with things like finding the right word in a paragraph, etc.
The in-built thesaurus in Word is absolutely dire. Even though I accept the fact that it doesn't use context clue, the alternatives it offers are limited, usually too informal and mostly useless.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Generating content is no issue for me, what I need is for ChatGPT to ruthlessly edit and condense my writing down to nothing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They're making everyone do goals for this cycle. I stopped doing that bullshit years ago and everyone in my first few lines of management has as well. The email was full of additional lovely corporate bullshit like "build your personal brand" and other nonsense.

I asked ChatGPT to make me something.

I'm gonna workshop it a tiny bit more but whatever, this will do.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Vasudus posted:

They're making everyone do goals for this cycle. I stopped doing that bullshit years ago and everyone in my first few lines of management has as well. The email was full of additional lovely corporate bullshit like "build your personal brand" and other nonsense.

lmfao yea this would absolutely "resonate" with some people i'm dead sure

AI bullshit is worthless apart from culture jamming poo poo like this. i haven't had to set MEANS style "goals" as part of a performance evaluation since several years ago but i'd absolutely spit bullshit like this if i had to now

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I just need something to make me not sound like an unfeeling robot when I write emails but I kind of doubt AI is going to excel at that so I use emojis instead.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

therobit posted:

I just need something to make me not sound like an unfeeling robot when I write emails but I kind of doubt AI is going to excel at that so I use emojis instead.

🍆🍆🍆💦💦💦🤤🤤🤑🤑🤑🤑💵

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Feel free to copy paste that by the way, gratis

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Democratic Pirate posted:

Generating content is no issue for me, what I need is for ChatGPT to ruthlessly edit and condense my writing down to nothing.

It can do that fairly well. Can actually use "tldr" as the prompt, heh.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Goddamned this is great.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My goals for this year are “continue to develop in <new role>”, and I expect to keep using that one for a few years.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

My goals for this year are “continue to develop in <new role>”, and I expect to keep using that one for a few years.

wow same buddy, what are the odds? i wish us both the best of luck in our personal development program of um *checks notes* "doing [our] job without being bothered by this bullshit career `coaching`" :hfive:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I had to sit through an hour of someone telling my entire directorate about the "culture model" this week. gently caress you guys, I just want to do my job and be left alone, the only culture model that's required is "don't be a dick" and anyone that tries to "well actually" their way out of that one rule should be fired.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't do my job yesterday because we had a world metrology day and invited other random people to show up and eat brisket and pulled pork that one of our guys made. There was also a presentation and demonstrations of some of the boring stuff we do. I mean it was nice to get paid and hang out for a few hours and only a couple people came by to see me show them how cool oscilloscopes can be

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hotel Kpro posted:

I couldn't do my job yesterday because we had a world metrology day and invited other random people to show up and eat brisket and pulled pork that one of our guys made. There was also a presentation and demonstrations of some of the boring stuff we do. I mean it was nice to get paid and hang out for a few hours and only a couple people came by to see me show them how cool oscilloscopes can be

Idk storm forecasting sounds pretty cool, is an oscilloscope a fancy barometer?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oscilloscopes do rock.

The little lunchbox ones are my fav especially now that they have colour screens and all that.

It’s fun when you happen on an old one that still boots windows 95 and takes decades to start up lol (usually those are logic analyzers though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I finally made a post on LinkedIn. Hooray for me that some people actually liked it, I was worried it’d sit there with no comments or anything like the one guy that always posts about bitcoin and blockchain stuff with never a sniff of attention. Almost feel bad for the guy, but it’s blockchain so nope :lol: