Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones posted:

ive never messed with a strop, it seemed like the sort of thing where it's gonna dull to pre-strop-capability so quickly that it never seemed worth it. i may be wrong on that

iirc the fine doodad that came with the sharpmaker gets it sharp enough to cut hair, so i usually stop there. but sometimes i use the extra sharp one and it's good. keep in mind this is basically exclusively for kitchen knives; i dont remember the last time i sharpened a pocket knife

im afraid to sharpen my santoku with it because idk what angle it's at, if it's only sharpened on one side, etc. and im afraid ill screw it up really badly

depends on the tool. I wouldnt bother with an axe, but for a chisel? absolutely. The nice thing is it takes literally 10 seconds to re-strop right back to absolutely razor sharp. I only have to go to the diamond plates if i forget and dont strop regularly or if i chip the edge or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh that makes sense. could i leave the strop in the garage that gets very hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter, or would it have to come inside? also, got any brand recs?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

oh that makes sense. could i leave the strop in the garage that gets very hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter, or would it have to come inside? also, got any brand recs?

its literally just a block of wood with leather glued to it.

just get a scrap bit of plywood or mdf and glue an equally sized piece of scrap leather (mine is from a pair of my wifes boots that fell apart) to it, bam, you have a strop.

mine is about 4" x 8" something like that.

you'll need buffing compound tho https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD35Y/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh that's easy. cool, thanks!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I use the cardboard off the back of a notepad as a strop. Not ideal at all, but with compound it will still get a knife razor sharp.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

at home i have a couple of waterstones and a honing steel and that works for my day to day needs.

at school we have a T8 to maintain all the woodworking tools and it's a joy

Achmed Jones posted:

ive never messed with a strop, it seemed like the sort of thing where it's gonna dull to pre-strop-capability so quickly that it never seemed worth it. i may be wrong on that

stropping is critical to getting a razor edge. what you are doing, mechanically, is not removing any material, but cleaning up and straightening the very finest point of the edge that is formed in sharpening. the edge continues to get turned over as you use it, and regular stropping straightens it back out. a honing steel does basically the same thing and proper use is to hone the knife every couple of uses, or after a few dozen cuts in continuous operation.

not all knives need a razor edge, but stropping or honing regularly never hurts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the steel hone just has its own spot in the knife block so you can give it a quick hone whenever you take it out to use it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol i know what it does man, i've just never cared enough to do it and it seems a bit much for kitchen knives

i don't hone either, but that one's because i'm afraid i'll mess it up and gently caress up the blade long term

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you think stropping doesn't do anything noticeable or that honing risks loving up the blade, you don't really know what those processes do, i think.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

you can just buy a new knife from Target

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

at home i have a couple of waterstones and a honing steel and that works for my day to day needs.

at school we have a T8 to maintain all the woodworking tools and it's a joy

stropping is critical to getting a razor edge. what you are doing, mechanically, is not removing any material, but cleaning up and straightening the very finest point of the edge that is formed in sharpening. the edge continues to get turned over as you use it, and regular stropping straightens it back out. a honing steel does basically the same thing and proper use is to hone the knife every couple of uses, or after a few dozen cuts in continuous operation.

my brother is a meat worker and yeah uses the hone every few minutes, I can only imagine after over 20 years of doing so 40+ hours a week* he’s good at it

prolly the biggest difference when watching him do it vs anyone else is how slow he does it, he goes very slowly and carefully, presumably making sure the angle is very deliberate etc

* he’s just turned 40 this year and god drat his body is hosed because of how hard it is. idk what he’s gonna do for the next 20+ 😔😣

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

lol i know what it does man, i've just never cared enough to do it and it seems a bit much for kitchen knives

i would agree that stropping is a little much for kitchen knives unless its like for sushi or something, those thing you want like scalpel sharp which you only get from a strop

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kitchen knives don't always have the right angle to be stropped effectively, but they should definitely be honed.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh come on sagebrush, surely it's not the case that you can't figure out a way that someone might damage up a blade by honing the angle wrong, or applying too much force. right? right? and you understand that it has everything to do with that, and not misunderstanding the process? i think you know that and you're just pretending

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
monday night's as good a night as any for a good old fashioned sagebrushin'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, i'm kinda grouchy today. gotta get it out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

. gotta get it out
lol.. same

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

BONGHITZ posted:

that’s crazy, i just replace the carbon steel blades if they get too dull. i guess I’ll try sharpening them now tho

i started using box cutter utility blades recently because the #11 exacto sized blades are kinda weak. i found this Sheffield folding one and it’s held up well so far.
https://kk.org/cooltools/sheffield-ultimate-lock-back-utility-knife/

kk dot org cool tools has a lot of cool tools
https://kk.org/cooltools?s=Knife

while we’re at it shout outs to
https://usesthis.com/
https://www.tindie.com/
https://www.crowdsupply.com/
https://earth.nullschool.net/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a stanley version of the same thing

it’s good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

did i post my EDC noives yet?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
for some yospos content, i used to have a ceramic-cased EPROM that had some broken pins so i sometimes used the backside to sharpen small blades. its not very good, but it was better than nothing, and an amusing novelty

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

BONGHITZ posted:

i just walk in with my hosed up knives and swap them out with new ones on the shelves. this one time what I thought were new knives turned out to be some of my other old ones from a previous trip to the store. boy was i pissed when i got home.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

i just walk in with my hosed up knives and swap them out with new ones on the shelves. this one time what I thought were new knives turned out to be some of my other old ones from a previous trip to the store. boy was i pissed when i got home.

lol

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

President Beep posted:

is this the fabled sigma grindset

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

armpit_enjoyer posted:

is this the fabled sigma grindset

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Used to be at the shipyard anyone (regardless of employer) could go into the tool shop, drop their knife in a big barrel and pick up a new or sharpened one. Turns out it's less expensive than risking people faffing about with dull knives and hurting themselves. e: I mean, still might be. It's been over 20 years since I built ships.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Used to be at the shipyard anyone (regardless of employer) could go into the tool shop, drop their knife in a big barrel and pick up a new or sharpened one. Turns out it's less expensive than risking people faffing about with dull knives and hurting themselves. e: I mean, still might be. It's been over 20 years since I built ships.

but you gently caress one goat,

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

did you have to reach into a different barrel for a sharp one? sounds fun and dangerous.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It’s your day in the barrel

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

It’s your day in the barrel

:hmmyes:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

and now it's your blade in the darrell

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

while you were out partying i rummaged for blades

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

President Beep posted:

while you were out partying i rummaged for blades

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I would read an entire book on that exact type of 2000s proto-incel goon: fedora, samurai sword, delusions of grandeur. How many of them grew out of it vs how many became today's QAnon/MAGA army?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ADINSX posted:

I would read an entire book on that exact type of 2000s proto-incel goon: fedora, samurai sword, delusions of grandeur. How many of them grew out of it vs how many became today's QAnon/MAGA army?

good news friend

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/310612.A_Confederacy_of_Dunces

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

President Beep posted:

did you have to reach into a different barrel for a sharp one? sounds fun and dangerous.

No there was a service counter. You just asked for one. The other barrel was for Vasili.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ADINSX posted:

I too regret I didn't keep a diary :(

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hmm, lot of people handing out bad reviews as they astutely point out how problematic it is to glorify obviously intended-good protagonist ignatius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hmm, lot of people handing out bad reviews as they astutely point out how problematic it is to glorify obviously intended-good protagonist ignatius

is he actually intended-good

or is he just a reflection of the author, for good or ill