Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

not so much spoilers as much as just a big tease: tomorrow we get to see what Fuchsia looks like out of clown makeup

!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Man, it’s taking everything in my power to not just shotgun through clown comic.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: Savior

quote:

The men with the hyena faces did what they had promised.

“You will forget the face of your mother,” they said to him, so he did, between each crack of the lash. Instead, he learned how best to clean their weapons and wash their blood soaked clothing. He carried water, spare boots, and ammunition.

Yaun worked very hard, for he had been an obedient son, and grew quite strong, for he constantly lugged around that heavy iron sword the master of the company had given him, and the men with hyena faces ate extremely well. The whole company ate well in those times. It was a fat age for killers. They tramped from town to town where men with perfumed breath and powdered faces would pay them for every lopped off hand. Often they would come right back to the home of a former employer on the behest of a new master, and burn it to ashes. Each time they visited a town, they would find or make many motherless little boys to make into dead men, and so their company grew tenfold.

Eventually Yaun became aware that some time had passed, and nearly everything had been beaten out of him. All that was left was just a set of eyeballs in a hollow skull atop an overlarge body with callused hands, and feet that kept tramping forward. It was oddly freeing.

Jantris was crowned with stars and had a long stemmed pipe of fine make he kept about him. His skin was smooth and dark and his eyes were a lion’s eyes.

“Now that you are completely dead,” he said to Yaun one day, “We can fill you with useful knowledge.”

Alt: This is secretly a throwback page

quote:

Summoning

Alt: Automatically assume if Cio has any titles they are entirely self-bestowed

quote:

Thief-queen

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: Savior

Alt: Automatically assume if Cio has any titles they are entirely self-bestowed

Fuuuuuuuck I love this sequence. Healthy communication! Pride rainbow colors halo fire!

For a fun game, dig back through the post history to find which page is being called back to.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Finished the next page of my comic Otto and Ollie.

Your comic is good and memorable enough that even after weeks between pages, I remember it and am excited to see more.

Gann Jerrod posted:

This is easily one of my favorite Thorsby panels

Same, as I read today's post I was ready for it to be the excerpt.

moosecow333 posted:

Man, it’s taking everything in my power to not just shotgun through clown comic.

I did and I strongly regretted it. Learn from my mistakes! The comic still isn't done and it's definitely better to stay at this thread's pace for longer than to get a burst of gratification and then be stuck with weekly-at-best pages.

Kit Walker posted:

To what?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tendales posted:

Fuuuuuuuck I love this sequence. Healthy communication! Pride rainbow colors halo fire!

For a fun game, dig back through the post history to find which page is being called back to.

I don't need to dig, it's seared into my brain already!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - Issue #3: "There is a Raptor in My Office"

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Reminder: read the Tale of Yaun. It was a fat age for killers, indeed.

Emzedoh posted:

Wakako-Zake 42nd Night: Seafood croquette

Wakako-Zake 43rd Night: Okonomiyaki

I like eating at places where you can see them preparing your order. Eating off a sharp edged spatula sounds a little chancy though.

Edit:

Ditocoaf posted:

Same, as I read today's post I was ready for it to be the excerpt.

I did and I strongly regretted it. Learn from my mistakes! The comic still isn't done and it's definitely better to stay at this thread's pace for longer than to get a burst of gratification and then be stuck with weekly-at-best pages.

Yeah, that ruined Scoob and Shag for me. I felt bloated yet unsatisfied afterwards.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

This page

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, yyeep. Is she singing a... Norwegian lullaby in the last one? Or wherever they're from.

Yup, I sing that song every night for my kid when putting them to bed.

iminthisphotoandidontlikeit.jpg

E: it might originally be Swedish? Not sure.

Shaking lemur butt has a new favorite as of 08:44 on May 20, 2023

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Emzedoh posted:

I like eating at places where you can see them preparing your order. Eating off a sharp edged spatula sounds a little chancy though.

Oh man okonomiyaki is such a treat. It's every good as she makes it out to be - especially with beer!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i won't lie everytime i see wakako zake eating something i run through my google photos looking for stuff i ate

This was in Kyoto at one of those little places like the one in the comic. It ruled, I hope it survived the pandemic

https://i.imgur.com/YUCdbtF.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/MaRv8Sw.mp4

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Emzedoh posted:

It's not like razor-sharp, just sharp enough to cut a pancake / noodles / cooked meat - think butter knife.

And if you really want a fun time, get an Osaka person and a Hiroshima person to talk about okonomiyaki. It's right up there with New York vs Chicago pizza in the regional food rivalry world. (My department chair is from Osaka and insists, good-naturedly but firmly whenever it comes up, that Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki like our little food goblin is eating here not be called okonomiyaki, but rather Hiroshima-yaki.)

Food edit: Just in case anyone cares, the difference is: Osaka style is like The Saddest Rhino just showed in those gifs, a thick pancake-y thing, Hiroshima-style the pancake part is more crepe-y and there's a layer of noodles too.

Giant Ethicist has a new favorite as of 10:35 on May 20, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Oh, I assumed they were like those ones teppanyaki chefs use to dice up steak and things. I think I must have had Osaka style okonomiyaki before, since I remember visiting an okonomiyaki restaurant in Osaka back in 2017, but I really don't remember the food well at all. I probably should have taken some totally sweet videos like Rhino posted :T

Thanks for posting those by the way!

Anyway, I have seen okonomiyaki sold in my corner of the world, but they're usually kind of bland and... gloopy. It's possible that a little gloopiness is authentic, I know many Japanese people like their eggs a lot runnier than us delicate westerners, for example.

Honestly, the food I miss the most from my Japan trip is convenience store onigiri. No one in New Zealand makes proper onigiri - we just have rice lumps with too much chicken and avocado inside. I'm not sure why this is so difficult.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Yeah I find thorsbys takes on evolutionary biology to be incredibly fascinating. Just last week I ran some classes about genomics and I had to get my students to unlearn exactly this kind of stuff, mendelian ratios and simple traits and "dominant alleles" (lol) etc. It's completely understandable to me that thorsby would be developing his ideas at that exact level, because it's exactly how we teach it in high school and most of undergrad genetics.

Then later we hit em with the fact that only about 100 traits TOPS actually work like that and almost all of them are genetic diseases. Even friggin eye colour is complex as gently caress and you need a suite if advanced statistical analyses to tease out a fraction of the influences.

It hits em for six, I'll tell you.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Youremother posted:

Thorsby has the classic autistic condition where his mentality is "This is so simple, I don't know why people haven't figured this out yet, it's very obvious"...

Christ, if only I could catch myself thinking this so I could reconsider. Would prevent a lot of bizarre problems!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

What I love about Prince Val is that he’s just a pubescent teen boy, just an exceptionally able one

This is not ahistorical, as it happens. Edward the Black Prince was barely sixteen years old when he led the English vanguard in the Battle of Crecy, a fact I learned and will remember for all time thanks to Hark a Vagrant:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I hope you're ready for a surprisingly long storyline about this!

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Also Hiroshima style okonomiyaki is nice but Kansai style okonomiyaki is so much better I'm always surprised that it's even a competition.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Hempuli posted:

The Accidental Space Spy

Emzedoh posted:

Wakako-Zake

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
:laffo:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yes, good, yes

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This makes too much sense, why?!

E:

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 15:57 on May 20, 2023

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Ahahaha good good

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, someone decided to skip work.

Quitting your job to pursue your artistic dreams, how often has that worked out?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Hold it, Professor. I gotta turn into Sonic to invent Art!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

This issue predates Sonic by five years so if anything Sonic was ripping off Beanworld :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
that hoi-polloi is made entirely from hoops, slats and chips! not a twink in sight; how is this a use for twinks???

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

This entire portion where Valor and Owain are describing what it was like to be form broken is all well and good for Seb, Lina, Ceris, and Paracelsus... but what about Xyrus and Cynthia, who can't see or hear the dragons? It's just a long, awkward silence for them. Pretty rude of the others if you ask me.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I was originally not following the Clown comic, until Oats answering the comms with 'Holla if ya nasty' caught my eye, and I've been enjoying it ever since.

When I went to the site so that I could catch up with the thread I noticed that the art style has shifted a bit: How much clowning do we have until we catch up with current?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SubNat posted:

When I went to the site so that I could catch up with the thread I noticed that the art style has shifted a bit: How much clowning do we have until we catch up with current?

We're finishing up chapter 4 while the comic is at the end of chapter 5. Chapter 5 is the longest so we have a ways to go.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

In a comic full of clowns I appreciate that we have oats, a clown trying to be funny.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

that hoi-polloi is made entirely from hoops, slats and chips! not a twink in sight; how is this a use for twinks???

Perhaps the artist bean simply draws inspiration from staring at twinks? This seems to be the case for a lot of artists I have known

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KennyMan666 posted:

This issue predates Sonic by five years so if anything Sonic was ripping off Beanworld :v:
So you're saying they're an original character?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Splicer posted:

So you're saying they're an original character?

They’re the reason for the “do not steal”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Chako Kindness Initiative: About a C-minus today, I’m afraid.