Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Hardcordion posted:

There really needs to be a PSA or something about how replying to a dogshit tweet is only beneficial to the dogshit tweeter, even if you got a real good dunk on them. Make/find a new tweet with a screencap if you really need to. Park Ranger Sonya isn't melting down and "posting through it"; she's fanning the flames and driving engagement so that accounts that agree with her will see her "getting attacked by the woke mob" and follow in solidarity. In six months when she has a book or podcast or whatever to promote, she'll still have a nice boost to her follower count and a history of highly engaging tweets to be favoured by the algorithm. The puppetmaster troll is now a lucrative business shortcut and people fall for it over and over.

That said,

"Everyone is calling me rear end in a top hat! Why can't they be more original and call me Captain Coolface?"

no that's not how things work, you're mistaking patronage jobs and grift for the stage dressing
surrounding them. The folks who launch a media career off of internet controversy were already going to get that career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/darth/status/1659346036287238145?cxt=HHwWgsDTxbWbl4cuAAAA

Hardcordion posted:

There really needs to be a PSA or something about how replying to a dogshit tweet is only beneficial to the dogshit tweeter, even if you got a real good dunk on them. Make/find a new tweet with a screencap if you really need to. Park Ranger Sonya isn't melting down and "posting through it"; she's fanning the flames and driving engagement so that accounts that agree with her will see her "getting attacked by the woke mob" and follow in solidarity. In six months when she has a book or podcast or whatever to promote, she'll still have a nice boost to her follower count and a history of highly engaging tweets to be favoured by the algorithm. The puppetmaster troll is now a lucrative business shortcut and people fall for it over and over.

Brb quitting my job.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1659246377279561728?s=19

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

man who hasn't made a game anyone liked in around 2 decades: "so here's what I think makes a good game,"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
his art was poo poo but there's more!

quote:

There were ugly scenes—often.

“These are great tits!” Kinkade would say to Christian women at public events. They’d idolized him as a religious superstar, and would just stand there confused. A drunken visit to Vegas became infamous.

He had a habit of peeing everywhere, in public, and on the public—unzipping in Kuskey’s hotel room once, as the crowd below the balcony got a golden shower from the Painter of Light.

Meanwhile, the company was getting more and more religious, slapping Bible verses on everything. It was, Kuskey notes, pure theater.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

his art was poo poo but there's more!

:hellyeah:

Wikipedia posted:

In 2006, John Dandois, Media Arts Group executive, recounted a story that on one occasion six years previously, Kinkade became drunk at a Siegfried & Roy magic show in Las Vegas and began shouting "Codpiece! Codpiece!" at the performers. Eventually he was calmed by his mother.

The Times further reported that he openly fondled a woman's breasts at a South Bend, Indiana sales event, and alleged his proclivity for ritual territory marking by urination, once relieving himself on a Winnie the Pooh figure at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim while saying, "This one's for you, Walt."

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh yeah, Kinkade was a notorious Weirdo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

(Idle's not the idiot) https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/1659599331140468736

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Isn't that like..the whole thrust of the film?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cleese is an idiot but I'm missing the part where he's doing something on social media. This js News About Idiots Reported And Clarified By Sane People On Social Media

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Byzantine posted:

Isn't that like..the whole thrust of the film?

Eh, you could do Life of Brian without it, but yeah it's a pretty iconic scene. The actual idiocy is this bit:

the article posted:

Cleese told an audience at his live show last week that the scene involving People's Front of Judea member Stan saying that he wants to be known as Loretta and to have babies, which is rebuffed by Reg saying "you can't have babies" adding later "I'm not oppressing you, Stan you haven't got a womb. Where's the foetus going to gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?", was performed at a New York readthrough last year, but the actors involved expressed doubts, saying "We love the script, but you can't do that stuff about Loretta nowadays".

Cleese commented: "So here you have something there's never been a complaint about in 40 years, that I've heard of, and now all of a sudden we can't do it because it'll offend people. What is one supposed to make of that? But I think there were a lot of things that were actually, in some strange way, predictive of what was actually going to happen later."
He's cutting something that was controversial in the first film for this cash-in, while complaining about people not liking a bit that hasn't aged well.
Back before his brain rotted I remember during a big anniversary retrospective like 20 years ago the pythons even admitted some of their stuff hasn't aged well, like the portrayal of the Irish Catholics in Meaning of Life.

For fucks sake, he's even bragging about brand new scenes and subplots, so it's not a matter of fidelity, just what he personally finds funny. He and Gilliam have unironically morphed into the Yorkshiremen.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Anyway the better characters all accept Loretta's new identity, it's the lovely dickhead played by Cleese who won't let her be herself.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/LindaH365/status/1659558700791545858

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
idiots on social media: @elon musk, I'm disappointed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Coolness Averted posted:

Eh, you could do Life of Brian without it, but yeah it's a pretty iconic scene. The actual idiocy is this bit:

He's cutting something that was controversial in the first film for this cash-in, while complaining about people not liking a bit that hasn't aged well.
Back before his brain rotted I remember during a big anniversary retrospective like 20 years ago the pythons even admitted some of their stuff hasn't aged well, like the portrayal of the Irish Catholics in Meaning of Life.

For fucks sake, he's even bragging about brand new scenes and subplots, so it's not a matter of fidelity, just what he personally finds funny. He and Gilliam have unironically morphed into the Yorkshiremen.

Gilliam is way worse than Cleese IMO.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I paid $8 to post bland takes and I don't have 100million followers what the actual gently caress?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/eve6/status/1659699538393980932?s=46&t=LuWlVigXSHv3TXi-WVRPYA

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

kazil posted:

I paid $8 to post bland takes and I don't have 100million followers what the actual gently caress?

Lowtax gave you a $2 discount?!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The gags about leftists constantly schisming over esoteric minutiae are always on point at least

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I am glad that the only Python I ever met is Michael Palin. He held my hand and called my “my darling”. Whatever happens to me in life, I always know that I was once Michael Palin’s darling.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

dinahmoe posted:

I am glad that the only Python I ever met is Michael Palin. He held my hand and called my “my darling”. Whatever happens to me in life, I always know that I was once Michael Palin’s darling.

Yeah he was really nice when I met him at a book signing. I was buying some Agatha Christie novels along with a couple of his books and he offered to sign the novels too before one of the store handlers reminded him it was only like three or four books per customer.

He didn't call me darling though, much to my lasting regret.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

HopperUK posted:

Anyway the better characters all accept Loretta's new identity, it's the lovely dickhead played by Cleese who won't let her be herself.

I a scene after Brian is arrested even Cleese's character dosn't misgender Loretta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P2jJdrz9bY

e: so the point is, even Reg is not as lovely a person as the man who plays him

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Scratch Monkey posted:

If my life develops in such a way that I become part of the “meme community” I give permission to all of you to cave my head in with a rock

Ho ho, hail and well met, fellow memester.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which is baffling to me, because Gilliam always felt to me like the one who did a bunch of the more socially critical stuff, with stuff like Brazil. You'd figure that would take some sort of brain capable of a bit of critical thinking.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

RedSnapper posted:

I a scene after Brian is arrested even Cleese's character dosn't misgender Loretta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P2jJdrz9bY

e: so the point is, even Reg is not as lovely a person as the man who plays him

I forgot about that. gently caress sake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PurpleXVI posted:

Which is baffling to me, because Gilliam always felt to me like the one who did a bunch of the more socially critical stuff, with stuff like Brazil. You'd figure that would take some sort of brain capable of a bit of critical thinking.

You'd be surprised how many people espousing some seemingly socially progressive messages can run headlong into ideological walls, especially post-Cold War. Also the boomer lead poisoning kicking in possibly.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Plus he started posting transphobia, at which point it's impossible to post other things again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

PurpleXVI posted:

Is it really such a huge leap from Brazil to pc gone mad, the nanny state grinds up free thinkers and all that. It's been a while since I watched it, admittedly.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

e: oops wrong thread

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I was sat at a table next to Terry Gilliam at a restaurant a few years back and he just banging on about how terrible Jeremy Corbyn was to his friend or wife or whatever.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Terry Gilliam, through gritted teeth posted:

Jiminy Crubbins

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

PurpleXVI posted:

The first step is to convince yourseld that socially critical politics are now the mainstream, and therefore "in control" despite all evidence to the contrary.
The second part is telling yourself that, because of this, they are the machine you once raged against, and must rage against now.
And at no point do you look back and realize it is you who has become the senile conservative you used to despise, because you believe that couldn't possibly be you.

Clerical Terrors has a new favorite as of 16:41 on May 20, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Clerical Terrors posted:

And at no point do you look back and realize it is you who has become the senile conservative you used to despise, because you believe that couldn't possibly be you.

I feel like this is the biggest part of it, though. Being a bit behind the times in terms of progressiveness or whatever, getting politely corrected on it, and doubling down, choosing not just to die on the hill, but to be crucified there, set on fire, resurrected and killed all over again.

Instead of just, you know, being open to being corrected and learning something.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People may also be remembering Gilliam saying that he would have been arrested for throwing pipe bombs at fascists had he stayed in the US during the 60s.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Never trust a British celebrity. One puff of the BBC's Establishment-grade fart weed and an invite to a Cool Society Party and they're gone.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Terry Gilliam is just a plain dogshit person

quote:

Of Weinstein’s alleged victims, he said: “These were ambitious adults … There are many victims in Harvey’s life, and I feel sympathy for them, but then, Hollywood is full of very ambitious people who are adults and they make choices.”

Gilliam was essentially repeating comments he made in 2018, at a film festival in the Czech Republic. Then, he said: “I no longer want to be a white male, I don’t want to be blamed for everything wrong in the world: I tell the world now I’m a black lesbian … My name is Loretta and I’m a BLT, a black lesbian in transition.”

After he said this, Ellen Barkin said that, going by her own experience, no woman should get into an elevator alone with Gilliam.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pookah posted:

Terry Gilliam is just a plain dogshit person

After he said this, Ellen Barkin said that, going by her own experience, no woman should get into an elevator alone with Gilliam.

Yeah this is why I said he's worse than John Cleese, who for all his current dumbness is just a crotchety old blowhard whose time has passed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1659955438421409793?t=BlDljvupSOPrKIKcMe5ePA&s=19

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The fren thing is just a codeword for nazi, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

The fren thing is just a codeword for nazi, right?

Yeah but with added severe depression