Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

I have no idea: Aren't there emulation options for running pre-XP stuff?

Specific old rear end hardware, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
3.11 for workgroups ought to be enough for anybody

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

redeyes posted:

Ask me about having to load a Windows 95 box.. ;_; I got customers that have been using the same software for that long and I support them when I can.

I sold them a printer that supports everything from XP to Win 11 which is the HP Pro 400 fwiw.

Say you work in medicine without saying you work in medicine.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Heran Bago posted:

Manufacturing too.

I temped at a plastic injection molding factory for a few months maybe 10 years ago at most, and they had two closets full of Win 3.x, Win 95, and a few XP capable components so they could repair the systems on the factory floor. I asked why they don't update to modern machines and the licensing costs for the injection molding software had increased by something like a factor of 100, due to "supporting the latest version of Windows".

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Am I the only one that has a much harder time reading the clock in Windows 11, compared to 10?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
So, I found out why my local security broke again even with new insider install, apparently having " guarded host" feature installed breaks it entirely.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

I work with a lot of old PCs and store up old parts and software used from DOS to now. It's not so much medicine as anything that is old as poo poo. Pro-Audio, Medicine, Printing, Bio things including scam bullshit machines. Most of it requires hardware drivers so I cant virtualize stuff. Its a complete poo poo-show man, but pays well

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

redeyes posted:

I work with a lot of old PCs and store up old parts and software used from DOS to now. It's not so much medicine as anything that is old as poo poo. Pro-Audio, Medicine, Printing, Bio things including scam bullshit machines. Most of it requires hardware drivers so I cant virtualize stuff. Its a complete poo poo-show man, but pays well

AMA trying to find an AGP graphics card in TYOOL 2021 to fix my dad’s old rear end CAD machine because he won’t pay to upgrade his CAD software and the software and plotter he has won’t work on Windows newer than 98.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have10 AGP cards ;_;

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kalman posted:

AMA trying to find an AGP graphics card in TYOOL 2021 to fix my dad’s old rear end CAD machine because he won’t pay to upgrade his CAD software and the software and plotter he has won’t work on Windows newer than 98.

Windows 98 should run in VMware if I remember correctly. Not qemu, and probably not virtual box, but VMware was fine last time I tried (over a decade ago).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Volguus posted:

Windows 98 should run in VMware if I remember correctly. Not qemu, and probably not virtual box, but VMware was fine last time I tried (over a decade ago).

Yes, but the plotter will not.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kalman posted:

Yes, but the plotter will not.

Now that's one picky plotter.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My kids have child accounts on my Win 10 machine. I've just bought my son his first computer, which he is getting for his 9th birthday. It's a laptop running Windows 11.

I don't know much about Win 11, but my intention is to set myself up an account on his new computer, and then a child account for him, logging him in using the same email address (an Outlook one) on his new computer as on mine.

Will this be enough in terms of security, and preventing him from seeing/doing harmful stuff, or should I consider going further, with some third party software?

Assuming no to the third party software, for this to be enough, do I need to restrict his browser usage to Edge (I currently get activity reports including Edge browsing activity for his child account on my Win 10 machine), and if so, how do I do that?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently I've noticed that when I wake my desktop up from hibernation, it doesn't have internet (via Ethernet) for ~30 seconds after logging in. The router can see it during this time. What could be causing this delay?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

hooah posted:

Recently I've noticed that when I wake my desktop up from hibernation, it doesn't have internet (via Ethernet) for ~30 seconds after logging in. The router can see it during this time. What could be causing this delay?

I don't know, but I do know my old board with a 5Gbit Aquantia took ages (ok, several seconds) to connect after hibernate compared to my new board with the cheap 2.5Gbit Realtek that is everywhere. Way faster connection time. I know that doesn't help.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

hooah posted:

Try updating your motherboard BIOS and the ethernet driver. If that doesn't help, it's likely there's no solution.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Try updating your motherboard BIOS and the ethernet driver. If that doesn't help, it's likely there's no solution.

Thanks. I did the Ethernet driver and that seems to have helped. Also grabbed mobo and chipset drivers for good measure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In what way is the "New" Outlook not a downgrade from the Mail app? It doesn't support linked inboxes (from what I can tell) and it looks an awful lot like a lovely web wrapper for an app with a much more crowded and less pleasant interface.

I genuinely like Mail for home email stuff when it's not making attachments I send disappear on the receiving end.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 22, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

hooah posted:

Thanks. I did the Ethernet driver and that seems to have helped. Also grabbed mobo and chipset drivers for good measure.

This is the same problem that I had a few months back, I think. Turns out once a version of windows ships, very few device manufacturers bother with keeping the windows driver repository updated.

In my case, it was the difference between getting 3/4ths gigabit and the full gigabit I'm paying for. Realtek just ain't touch poo poo once Windows shiips.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiny Timbs posted:

In what way is the "New" Outlook not a downgrade from the Mail app? It doesn't support linked inboxes (from what I can tell) and it looks an awful lot like a lovely web wrapper for an app with a much more crowded and less pleasant interface.

I genuinely like Mail for home email stuff when it's not making attachments I send disappear on the receiving end.

I'm not sure either. I didn't get past the part where it went "hey, you've got to send your Gmail through the Microsoft cloud now!".

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Because it is just a pwa of outlook.com.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Tiny Timbs posted:

because outlook app accounts/settings are synced with the web client settings and not a separate deal like the mail app

plus the mail app still looks like it came straight from windows 8 so eff it

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I've ordered a new personal system.

I've been using Acronis TrueImage 2017 for backups under Windows 10. I haven't had a need to upgrade until now and I see it's now gone the subscription only route.

What's the recommendation for incremental backup software with a perpetual license?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Prolly Macrium Reflect.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cheesus posted:

I've ordered a new personal system.

I've been using Acronis TrueImage 2017 for backups under Windows 10. I haven't had a need to upgrade until now and I see it's now gone the subscription only route.

What's the recommendation for incremental backup software with a perpetual license?

Macrium Reflect is a solid product, but Veeam Agent for Windows is free for personal use.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-11/283174/download-updated-windows-11-version-22h2-iso

"Microsoft has updated its downloadable Windows 10 version 22H2 ISO to include all of the updates it has shipped through May 2023. So that’s Moment 1, Moment 2, and all the Controlled Feature Releases (CFRs) we’ve received since 22H2 first arrived last September."

The Windows 11 Media Creation Tool doesn't grab anything newer at this point compared to maybe about a month or two ago.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I had hoped that changing to w11 would've fixed my weird bug where when I toggle from headphones to speakers using my creative SBX drivers, sometimes I'll have to toggle it again, because the speakers won't be outputting, it's followed me across multiple installations and builds, but yeah not only did it not fix the bug, but now randomly when I boot I'll just have no sound until I toggle it to headphones and back, not asking for any solutions just wanted to cry about it

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

runaway dog posted:

I had hoped that changing to w11 would've fixed my weird bug where when I toggle from headphones to speakers using my creative SBX drivers, sometimes I'll have to toggle it again, because the speakers won't be outputting, it's followed me across multiple installations and builds, but yeah not only did it not fix the bug, but now randomly when I boot I'll just have no sound until I toggle it to headphones and back, not asking for any solutions just wanted to cry about it

Any chipset drivers for your motherboard? BIOS updates?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Yeah I've definitely done that it's a brand new computer I thank you for trying to help but I've been on and off trying to fix this problem for about 10 years now across three different operating systems and many driver and software updates. I've even bought the newest creative sound card the ae-5 Plus and it had the exact same issues so i just went back to the soundblaster z. I'd get rid of it but I pretty much rely on the switching between speaker output and headphone output, and I'm not terribly interested in the external dac thing that seems to be the trend these days. it's all really just a small annoyance, barely an inconvenience.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
At this point I don't know that Creative is a big improvement over Realtek as far as software / driver quality.

Sound cards in general are old and busted, there is zero market for them anymore. If you want a high-quality audio interface get a USB DAC. Most of them use an incredibly standardized interface (UAC 1&2) and so the drivers are Microsoft's own standard ones.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is still way too common for onboard sound to have issues with interference/popping on even expensive motherboards.

Coincidentally I had a similar issue when I bought a Fiio DAC that could only be addressed by editing its software config files and turning on a hidden option.

You can't win. gently caress sound.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 7, 2023

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

every time you bring up sound cards...

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Been running the same set of Klipsch powered monitors for the last 7 years on 2 different onboard audio chips with no issues with interference or anything else really. I have them connected via USB

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

codo27 posted:

Been running the same set of Klipsch powered monitors for the last 7 years on 2 different onboard audio chips with no issues with interference or anything else really. I have them connected via USB

If you're running them off USB then wouldn't they be using a DAC and not the onboard audio?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 8, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You're right. But I also have been using a couple different 3.5mm headsets for 5 or 6 years or so, also without issue.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have they STILL not fixed the windows security center bug? I’m not on my PC so I forget exactly what it is. But all of my fully up to date windows PCs have an alert in Security that something is turned off.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

LuckyCat posted:

Have they STILL not fixed the windows security center bug? I’m not on my PC so I forget exactly what it is. But all of my fully up to date windows PCs have an alert in Security that something is turned off.

Nope

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LuckyCat posted:

I'm not even sure if they've acknowledged the "sometimes windows explorer just brings itself into focus if you have a folder open" bug

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm not even sure if they've acknowledged the "sometimes windows explorer just brings itself into focus if you have a folder open" bug

Oh, that's not just me? I thought I had a weird thing set up on my work computer with Win 11 that caused it to sometimes focus File Explorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

So that's what it is? I thought it was some weird configuration issue I had.