Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1659412725171392515

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
NO

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
godspeed you beautiful mountain of a man

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Started watching Juryo matches on Natto, video unavailable after 2 minutes, refresh and see that the account has been terminated.

Gutted that Toshi is retiring, but have to admit he has been a shadow of his former self for too long now, and it is for the best.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Lmao, thanks BloodyElbow!

Edit: Anyway it seems like someone is squatting the NattoSumo5 username, so we're on 6 now:

https://www.youtube.com/@nattosumo6 Makushita and Juryo for today up 15 minutes ago...uh was gonna say presumably makuuchi any minute now but then I realized it's like 5:30 pm in Japan so we've still got 30 minutes of live action.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I came across this video on NHK World: Miyagino Sho: Hakuho's Next Chapter

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sad news with Tochinoshin but he had a great career and brought many of us lots of sumo joy. For that we can always be thankful. :unsmith:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I didn't know what to expect when I started watching sumo, but a buff AF Georgian forklifting dudes out of the ring was enough to get me interested - sad to see Tochi go :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
a youtube video of tochi regaining ozeki with 10 wins got me into sumo. thanks to that video of that man i got to witness some of the best sporting moments possible. love that georgian giant.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Tochinoshin’s chest and abdominal muscles during his peak were like a sculpture.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Tochi and Osunaarashi were pretty much pulled straight out of a Frank Frazetta drawing

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2023/05/20/kiji/20230520s00005000199000c.html

Endo withdrawing as of today; his old left knee injury from 2015 has flared up

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel like the top division is full of sumo-relative smaller guys compared to when I started watching in 2016. More guys with the leaner, Hakuho build than like Kotoshogiku or Kisenosato.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Shiroc posted:

I feel like the top division is full of sumo-relative smaller guys compared to when I started watching in 2016. More guys with the leaner, Hakuho build than like Kotoshogiku or Kisenosato.

I am relatively new to Sumo but I really like seeing these strongman-style builds. Kotoeko's build for instance is practically Olympian. Those shoulders are incredible. But also, I love how many different types of builds and bodies you see in sumo. Human diversity is beautiful.

It is also cool when they charge into each other really hard and throw each other around and stuff.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I was never a big Tochinoshin fan but his Ozeki run had one of my favourite matches ever:

In Natsu of 2018 Tochinoshin was in the crucial third basho of his Ozeki run, and was entering day 12 with a perfect score. It was basically a lock that he was going to get his Ozeki promotion, but he now had to face Hakuho. Hakuho had withdrawn from Hatsu 2018 with injury, and did not participate in Haru 2018. This meant that Tochinoshin had yet to face Hakuho in his entire Ozeki campaign. He had also yet to beat Hakuho ever. His career record against Hakuho was 0 and 25. For a period of about ten years, Hakuho had beaten Tochinoshin at every single opportunity. Tochinoshin however was in the form of his life and had been outmuscling everybody on the belt. So, of course, Hakuho being Hakuho, attempts to beat him at the thing he is best at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJWW1cd5lc

It's just a great example of sumo at it's most macho. Hakuho could have easily just done what he usually does and beat Tochinoshin with finesse and speed, but here he is so determined to prove that he is physically stronger or at least a match for Tochinoshin that he gets beat. Reminds me a lot of Hakuho's last match with Terunofuji as well, Hakuho just can't help himself trying to one-up people.

Anyways Tochinoshin will be missed and I'm curious what life after sumo will be like for him, as he I believe owns property back in Georgia and will probably be leaving sumo behind now.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Also on the subject of retired Georgian sumo wrestlers (a segue I will likely never get to use again), ex-Gagamaru had ex-Yutakayama on his podcast for an interview and Kintamayama translated the following excerpts:

Kintamayama's newsletter posted:

Ex-Gagamaru had ex-Yutakayama on his youtube channel today. They spoke of the past, specifically about Yokozuna Kakuryuu's then oyakata, Izutsu. " We used to all meet at Tokitsukaze beya which is famous for it's degeiko and the fact that a lot of sekitori converge upon it..The Oyakata was a nice guy but when it came to Yokozuna Kakuryuu, he was all over him, shouting at him with extreme rage. And i mean, he did not hold back.. We used to feel awkward about it and wondered how to react. He was really nice to everyone else but was really tough on Kakuryuu. I was scared shitless of him," said Gagamaru. "Right, it was awful -he was scary.. He never got angry with us guys, but when he flew off on Kakuryuu.." agreed ex-Yutakayama.

Yutakayama : "I remember my first and only kanto-sho."

.Gagamaru, to the camera: "He says that lightly, but it's no small feat to get a kanto-sho, even once.. Really! (Pause..) I got it twice.."

Great laughter.

Asked if after getting a kachikoshi, the guys let up a bit.

Gagamaru: "Well, the guys from the koen-kai (support group) used to ask us to go easy after a kachikoshi so we don't get injured and stuff.. Me? I never won the day after I got my kachikoshi..."

Laughter.

Hakuhou?

Yutakayama: "I faced him twice I think, never won. But staring in his face, I wondered if I would make it home safely..And I thought to myself- uh oh.."

Gagamaru: "He had an incredible aura when he entered the dohyo.."

Did you think anyone else was awesome?

Yutakayama points to Gagamaru and bursts out laughing."Other than those two, probably Kakuryuu. Well, after he got shouted at by his oyakata and all.. He used to ask me if I was going all out during our keiko sessions and I would of course tell him I was (wink wink).."

Laughter, etc.

The video:
https://youtu.be/DoCIka3iMnI

I have occasionally posted interesting stuff from Kinatamayama's newsletters here; I hope somebody will let me know if it's unwelcome, uninteresting, or against some rule or other.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s great! Thanks for posting :)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Lucasar posted:

I hope somebody will let me know if it's unwelcome, uninteresting, or against some rule or other.

None of these, love it!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
drat. Good run, Tochinoshin. I hope his retirement is excellent.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 7:
Big Doofus Abi first shamefully henkaing the smallest wrestler in the division, then trying to do it AGAIN on the torinaoshi was hilarious. Absolute galoot.

As much as I dislike oshi-zumo, Daieisho is terrifying and really impressive when he's on form.

Teru looking terrifying so far, but he hasn't gone up against top level competition yet. We'll see if he can keep it up in the second week

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

We're at the halfway point and any questions about Terunofuji have to have been dispelled at this point. He seems to be fully in control, even if there are 2 others with perfect records. We'll probably start to see if Asanoyama can keep the wins going this basho in the next few days as he'll have to start going up against some stronger competition.

Edit: I had completely forgotten that Asanoyama was a Covid protocol demotion. Clearly he should be winning at this point but how soon they throw the highest ranks at him will be something to watch

Day 7 Standings:

code:
27	Samuel L Hacksaw
26	Khizan
26	Thauros
24	Akiosan
24	anakha
24	bessantj
23	Charles Gnarwin
23	Helianthus Annuus
22.5	Average Lettuce
22	Bentai
22	Chinook
22	Dead Goon
22	Gaghskull
22	MyChemicalImbalance
22	whats for dinner
21.5	Fearless
21.5	pseudodragon
21	Eli949
21	Tiny Bug Child
20.5	bartolimu
20	Lid
20	Mode 7
20	Saturnine Aberrance
19	Banana Canada
19	Crusty Nutsack
18	oldskool
17	Ice Phisherman
17	NTRabbit
17	QuasiQuack
17	Single Tight Female
17	Xerzes
15	Pakled
14	Beexoffel

Robviously fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 20, 2023

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ahhh yes, winning in jungyo.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Thank you Robviously, I see my Exhibition Brand of Sumo is doing well.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Lucasar posted:

It's just a great example of sumo at it's most macho. Hakuho could have easily just done what he usually does and beat Tochinoshin with finesse and speed, but here he is so determined to prove that he is physically stronger or at least a match for Tochinoshin that he gets beat. Reminds me a lot of Hakuho's last match with Terunofuji as well, Hakuho just can't help himself trying to one-up people.
That's one way of seeing it, but here's another: Hakuho's always had an incredibly good sense of important moments. He's more in love with sumo - the drama of it, not just the execution of the sport - than probably anyone else on the planet. Every time before that match, Tochi was just another rikshi coming for him and got dispatched in whatever way he could manage. This match was different: the guy's on an Ozeki run, competing for the yusho, and obviously in the best form he's ever been in. It would be supremely disappointing for the audience if Hakuho beat Tochi in a way that didn't let him show off his style. The best story is either the GOAT faces a challenger on the challenger's terms and wins, or the plucky challenger actually pulls it off and asserts his style over the great Yokozuna.

I mean, Hak clearly believed he could win that (and on most days I'd say he would have), but going into that fight there was no other plan than to give Tochi a squared-up belt battle with his preferred grip and let him try his best.

quote:

Anyways Tochinoshin will be missed and I'm curious what life after sumo will be like for him, as he I believe owns property back in Georgia and will probably be leaving sumo behind now.
Chris Sumo seems to think he'll be kept on as an "unofficial coach" at Kasugano beya for a while at least. Tochi said in interviews he loves Japan and wants to live there, possibly splitting his time between Japan and Georgia. He's also apparently looking into starting a Georgian import business in Japan which I'd guess would make going back and forth a lot easier for him.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Khachapuri for all! With WTK away and now big Tochi retiring this basho is the absolute biggest bummer in my sumo watching days yet.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

That's one way of seeing it, but here's another: Hakuho's always had an incredibly good sense of important moments. He's more in love with sumo - the drama of it, not just the execution of the sport - than probably anyone else on the planet. Every time before that match, Tochi was just another rikshi coming for him and got dispatched in whatever way he could manage. This match was different: the guy's on an Ozeki run, competing for the yusho, and obviously in the best form he's ever been in. It would be supremely disappointing for the audience if Hakuho beat Tochi in a way that didn't let him show off his style. The best story is either the GOAT faces a challenger on the challenger's terms and wins, or the plucky challenger actually pulls it off and asserts his style over the great Yokozuna.

Well, he also henka'd several people in potentially climactic fights. Look at that infamous Harumafuji bout, or the Kisenoasato one (which was hilarious, to be fair).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cfY3XFm63U

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

bartolimu posted:

It would be supremely disappointing for the audience if Hakuho beat Tochi in a way that didn't let him show off his style.

I think this is another way of making the same point; Hakuho's ego wouldn't let him do it the easy way. And I don't mean that as a criticism at all, Hakuho frequently enjoyed trying to beat people at the thing they were strongest, especially for up-and-comers. His early matches with Takakeisho where he just slaps him around or goes out of stance are another example of this mentality. Hakuho's showmanship and competitiveness are two aspects of the same conceit.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

In short, Hakuho is a man of contrasts.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hakuho henkaing Harumafuji was very funny and something that a Yokozuna shouldn’t have fallen for so hilariously.

e: To expand on it a little, it would have been super lame if it was a usual sidestep hatakikomi. Given Hakuho's superhuman ability to read bodies, I wonder if he could just tell that Harumafuji was preparing to recklessly explode out and decided to let him.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 20, 2023

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Khizan posted:

One of the things about Hokuseiho is that he's never had a 'real' make-koshi. The only time he failed to get his KK was when he went kyujo on the second day of Kyushu 2021. Other than that he's never put up a score worse than 5-2/9-6 despite his sumo style being "be huge and let them get tired trying to shove you". I think he's mostly got a case of "It's not broken so I'm not fixing it" and he's not going to change things up until he starts losing and has to.

Catching up on the thread so late, but somewhat relevant: Hakuho is his coach and is notorious for being absolutely fantastic at giving advice (Kotonowaka and Ura being a couple of examples where he beat them and then gave them a tip and they started murdering people the rest of the tourney). So I have to imagine that if there was something he was supposed to be changing, he'd be changing it.

Also my fondest memory of Hakuho doing Hakuho things was smacking Shodai after lining up literally at the edge of the ring (e.g. no room to move if he was hit at the tachiai at all) which was apparently so disrespectful the Yokozuna Deliberation Council had an article written about it to censure him (https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14399422).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The rivalry of the YDC vainly telling off Hakuho and him not caring is the greatest in sumo. There should be a list of how many times people demanded Hakuho retire over the decades.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Someone who had earned the right to say things like this posted:

“I would like to praise myself,” the yokozuna said.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh I didn't even notice that Ochiai is 7-0 so far lmao kid's gonna hit maegashira with short hair

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

wodin posted:

Also my fondest memory of Hakuho doing Hakuho things was smacking Shodai after lining up literally at the edge of the ring (e.g. no room to move if he was hit at the tachiai at all) which was apparently so disrespectful the Yokozuna Deliberation Council had an article written about it to censure him (https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14399422).

Hakuho has claimed in interviews that this wasn't a sign of disrespect but the only way he could think of to beat Shodai with his condition at that point in the basho.

Presumably he knew Shodai would warm up that day, or something, I dunno. Or he's just BSing to avoid soundling like a jerk.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://youtu.be/1VqAr2LYGzU

Tochinoshin

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

NOSHIN!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

It was an active day today as Terunofuji now stands alone unbeaten. Asanoyama and Meisei both suffered their first loss but there are still 8 other rikishi with 6 wins including Myogiru. After winning his first bout, Kotoshoho has racked up 7 straight losses putting him on the cusp of make-koshi. If the current trends keep up, we'll have an exciting final few days of sumo to go.

The race for Ozeki is also still heating up; Daieisho and Kiribayama are the two most likely to get the wins needed and they look to be set to face off on Day 9. A loss for either wouldn't immediately knock them out of contention but the road will get more difficult.

Day 8 Standings:
code:
31	Khizan
31	Thauros
30	Samuel L Hacksaw
29	Akiosan
29	bessantj
28	Gaghskull
28	Helianthus Annuus
27.5	Average Lettuce
27	anakha
27	MyChemicalImbalance
26.5	Fearless
26	Charles Gnarwin
26	Dead Goon
26	whats for dinner
25	Chinook
25	Eli949
25	Mode 7
25	Tiny Bug Child
24.5	Bentai
24	Saturnine Aberrance
23.5	pseudodragon
23	Lid
22.5	bartolimu
22	Crusty Nutsack
22	NTRabbit
22	QuasiQuack
21	Banana Canada
21	oldskool
20	Single Tight Female
20	Xerzes
19	Ice Phisherman
17	Pakled
17	Beexoffel

Robviously fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 21, 2023

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 8: Whoever it was that said they cheer for Hokuseiho by shouting "BE BIG" stuck in my head and now I do it too, and you better believe I was screaming BE BIG as he beat Asanoyama/

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 9: MEISEI MOTHERFUCKERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hokuseiho looks like a sumo action figure which some kid ripped the legs off of and jammed in freakishly long ken doll legs.

And I’m here for it.