Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Chewbecca posted:

:chloe:

Back onto topic - how many people here have worked with friends (as in, you were friends before you worked together), and how did that work out?

It's pretty great. I became friends with a coworker at my last job and recruited her to the company I moved to a few years later. Now we work on the same team and it's been awesome. It helps that she's kicked rear end since joining so I get some of that residual sheen lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
On bread.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Escape From Noise posted:

I forgot about the Norwegian love of toothpaste meat.

The tube cheese is mostly spreadable cheese flavoured with small flecks of bacon (or ham, or jalapeno). We do also like spreadable meat, but that usually comes in a tin or a small foil tray.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I've been slowly poaching friend co-workers from one workplace to come work with me at the other. They get a raise and some benefits, and also qualify as in-system candidates for bigger and better jobs with the place.

Though my female coworkers like chatting with each other in the multi-stall bathroom and I just don't get it. When the stall door closes, talking is not very high on the priority list. I guess once you hit 60 or so, you just stop caring?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think that's just a woman thing?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Chewbecca posted:

Back onto topic - how many people here have worked with friends (as in, you were friends before you worked together), and how did that work out?

I got my current job on my last job hunt by finding the opening on LinkedIn and noticing that my friend was the controller. She put my resume on the IT Director's desk and the rest is history. She left for another job a couple of years later, but I was well entrenched by then.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So in a change, I bring stupidity entirely due to night shift:

Another bay blew up a chamber.

They started pumping compressed air into the chamber, and somehow the pressure release valve and the cutoff that would stop the air from going in got disabled, so it just got more and more pressurized. It catastrophically failed, the pedestal got damaged, the bakeout lamps all shattered. I was impressed, it managed to not hurt anyone during its unplanned rapid depressurization, clearly the designers planned for this despite being intended for one atmosphere or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU

This happened when I was on break, another guy told me a chamber blew up and it took me a bit to realize he was just telling the simple unvarnished truth with no exaggeration.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Yeah. The restaurant manager keeps seriously pushing for this and flavored syrup in the tank.

Just make a Berliner Weiss and have the flavored syrups on the side like they do in Germany, works wonders for us. Plus your bartenders can commit horrifying crimes against flavor like putting blue raspberry syrup in a glass of your Brett saison. :haw:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Uh why were they pressurizing it. It's supposed to sit at vacuum normally. What happened to the ATM pressure interlock?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

TotalLossBrain posted:

Uh why were they pressurizing it. It's supposed to sit at vacuum normally. What happened to the ATM pressure interlock?

They weren't intentionally pressurizing it, they were flowing gas into it without having either pump active. As for the ATM pressure, I have no loving clue. We never disable it, sometimes we disable the low pressure interlocks to do an operation at a higher than normal pressure, but we never touch the overpressure.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
this isnt really dumb poo poo but i work with someone who is in a pretty famous meme, though not famous themselves really

meme coworker

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TaurusTorus posted:

They weren't intentionally pressurizing it, they were flowing gas into it without having either pump active. As for the ATM pressure, I have no loving clue. We never disable it, sometimes we disable the low pressure interlocks to do an operation at a higher than normal pressure, but we never touch the overpressure.

A few weeks ago I was in a design review that hypothesized this kind of failure. Didn't think it was all that likely lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If I know one thing about process design it's that everything with a figurative inside is subject to overpressure failures and if you can't identify the source of pressure that's out pacing the relief then you aren't thinking hard enough.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

The company I work for (an international Agriculture outfit, not small) hasn’t managed to hire a new Safety Head for about 3 months and now the CEO’s daughter is in charge of HR.

Very Cool.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The engineering firm I work for got bought out, and we had to install the company profiles on our company machines. They block all coding sandboxes and software download pages (IDEs, plugins) as "prohibited software".

Very cool.

e: our AWS logins are hosed too, lol

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 19, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The engineering firm I work for got bought out, and we had to install the company profiles on our company machines. They block all coding sandboxes and software download pages (IDEs, plugins) as "prohibited software".

Very cool.

Time to engineer an exit!

Dumb poo poo my work does: I'm a business analyst. I have to run batches in our testing region to troubleshoot, test, and maintain our bespoke software. Multiple times people have had problems or asked me about batch results, but when I go to check the file I do not have permission to access it. Guess you'll never know what's hosed up! :metis:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Very cool.

This sounds like it's either
- They only wanted the patents and/or the customers anyway, or
- The entire process is entirely driven by managerial momentum and somehow it will be a complete failure that just kills your former company but it still generates a lot of bonuses, or
- They want to do a huge amount of work to bring you into a state of compliance with their usual method of operation while still actually being able to work.

And I'm not in the industry (no matter which industry this is) but the last one does not sound like the most likely pick?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I’m going with option 2 with some of option 1. We have a huge swarth of big name clients.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Machai posted:

Nutella between two slices of cheddar?

The Double or Nuttin'

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

Just make a Berliner Weiss and have the flavored syrups on the side like they do in Germany, works wonders for us. Plus your bartenders can commit horrifying crimes against flavor like putting blue raspberry syrup in a glass of your Brett saison. :haw:

That was my solution as well. I made two batches of Berliner.

But uh...gross on the syrups in a nice saison.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Double or Nuttin'

This is killing

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That was my solution as well. I made two batches of Berliner.

But uh...gross on the syrups in a nice saison.

Glad you branched out into baking

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Glad you branched out into baking

Berliner weisse!

I can't bake anything really beyond simple stuff like pizza, focaccia, and pita.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The real Berliner

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Chewbecca posted:

My friend from grad school and I were first-year teachers at the same high school. It was great having someone dealing with the same problems as me. Obviously we didn’t actually “work” together since we taught our own classes, although we had a few students who had her English class one year and then mine the next, so we shared insights about them with each other. We never had any conflict between us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The real Berliner

What happened at the end there?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

What happened at the end there?

Freedom

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

He's been looking for it!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

He's been looking for it!

That motherfucker better find it soon...

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

goatface posted:

As a woman, no

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Boomer coworker update

He was really mad Thursday night when we vetoed his choice of Cracker Barrel. We went to a place that had a DJ playing late 90s/early 2000s hip hop. He hated it. Friday morning he was mad that no one showed up early to meet him for breakfast. The rest of us managed to get breakfast and check out in time to leave a little early. We ended up leaving late and arriving at the customer site late again. When we got there, he was mad that someone moved his chair, the one chair, because he was the only one who had to sit.

Ended up getting done Friday morning and driving back Friday afternoon, exactly as planned. Even got back home slightly earlier than expected despite spending way too long at Cracker Barrel for lunch. One small rant about illegals. Referred to someone wearing a hoodie as a "terrorist in training". Mostly Hannity on the radio.

5/10 trip

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I honestly remember the last time I ate at a loving Cracker Barrel. I definitely wasn't an adult. My dad hated that place. On road trips we were way more likely to eat burritos made with canned refried beans or whatever.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

goatface posted:

You've never had someone spin you a urinal yarn?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
How about the maximum over-business guys that scream into their cell phones from the shitter?

Always fun

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Machai posted:

Those are usually alcohol fuelled and most careers discourage drinking on the job despite often feeling like they necessitate it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have had to tell fellas I work with directly to please not talk to me while I'm taking a poo poo, and they got hella offended every time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Talking is awkward but I draw the line at prolonged eye contact

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boomer coworker update

He was really mad Thursday night when we vetoed his choice of Cracker Barrel. We went to a place that had a DJ playing late 90s/early 2000s hip hop. He hated it. Friday morning he was mad that no one showed up early to meet him for breakfast. The rest of us managed to get breakfast and check out in time to leave a little early. We ended up leaving late and arriving at the customer site late again. When we got there, he was mad that someone moved his chair, the one chair, because he was the only one who had to sit.

Ended up getting done Friday morning and driving back Friday afternoon, exactly as planned. Even got back home slightly earlier than expected despite spending way too long at Cracker Barrel for lunch. One small rant about illegals. Referred to someone wearing a hoodie as a "terrorist in training". Mostly Hannity on the radio.

5/10 trip

Keep sharing the insights!
You need to do the stupid leading questions schtick and needle his stupid world views

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

TotalLossBrain posted:

How about the maximum over-business guys that scream into their cell phones from the shitter?

Always fun

Yo, what's up man? Ain't doing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Machai posted:

Never at work. I don't think I've ever exchanged more than a "hey" and a nod of recognition while in the company toilets.