Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
According to the right Budweiser's sales have cratered, and this is somehow not cancel culture because it is against a brand, not an individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Their definition of "cratered" is suspect. It's been proven multiple times that "go woke go broke" is nonsense. In the real world, "going woke" tends to lead to more business as well as better quality high-level employees. Perfect example of the saying "reality has a liberal bias."

Every time I hear a MAGA idiot repeat that mantra, it's just another reminder that they never step outside their echo chamber to see what's actually happening.

Complete intellectual and moral bankruptcy.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I always took the "Reality has a liberal bias" as a joke about how they dont believe reality if it doesnt suit thier worldview

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Hihohe posted:

I always took the "Reality has a liberal bias" as a joke about how they dont believe reality if it doesnt suit thier worldview

It's not. It's just one of these things like "GO BRANDON!" as a shibboleth they've manufactured out of their response to criticism from anyone who's not right wing. It's very similar to the thinking around "never trumpers," and "you just don't like Trump!"

What they're attempting to say, poorly, is "Well, you're so left you think reality itself has a liberal bias.." which is to say that it's an accusation of ideological bias in their enemies. They do this to toss any and every criticism, and it's extremely tiring. They somehow think they, themselves, do not have any kind of ideology. The concept of ideology is something they think is poisoned. They're just rational thinkers. Everyone else is sending everything through ideology.

It's some very, "All the SHEEPLE are indoctrinated, but not me, I'm a free thinker and that poo poo doesn't work on me! <tunes into OANN>" kind of thinking.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

Their definition of "cratered" is suspect. It's been proven multiple times that "go woke go broke" is nonsense. In the real world, "going woke" tends to lead to more business as well as better quality high-level employees

Whatever AB's sales are doing I wouldn't call it 'more business'.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ab-inbev-stock-drops-as-analysts-look-for-stabilization-in-bud-light-sales-declines-181740395.html

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Wow. I sort of wonder how much beer culture plays out along political lines. I actively try to avoid AB InBev products and can't think of a single person who drinks Bud that isn't a chud.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The InBev CEO also caved and disavowed the ad that chuds decried earlier, so not really a surprise no one likes them now.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Mercury_Storm posted:

The InBev CEO also caved and disavowed the ad that chuds decried earlier, so not really a surprise no one likes them now.

Yeah basically the InBev CEO didn't know that caving to the chuds just pisses off libs and doesn't placate the chuds from the outrage of the week.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I would not at all be surprised that "educated urban liberal elites" heavily prefer craft beer over anything like Bud Light. At least here in Seattle, can't remember the last time I saw anyone order a mass market beer. Exception being Rainier Beer because of it's local history here (though it's not brewed here anymore).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I think I saw a snippet somewhere that Bud Light sales have been trending downward for a while, especially among young people, and their effort to do some market outreach to transgender people etcetera is them trying to catch up to where youth culture is headed (because today's young people will be their customers for the next sixty years as opposed to lovely old boomers, who will only be customers for another ten or twenty).

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ErIog posted:

It's not. It's just one of these things like "GO BRANDON!" as a shibboleth they've manufactured out of their response to criticism from anyone who's not right wing. It's very similar to the thinking around "never trumpers," and "you just don't like Trump!"

What they're attempting to say, poorly, is "Well, you're so left you think reality itself has a liberal bias.." which is to say that it's an accusation of ideological bias in their enemies. They do this to toss any and every criticism, and it's extremely tiring. They somehow think they, themselves, do not have any kind of ideology. The concept of ideology is something they think is poisoned. They're just rational thinkers. Everyone else is sending everything through ideology.

It's some very, "All the SHEEPLE are indoctrinated, but not me, I'm a free thinker and that poo poo doesn't work on me! <tunes into OANN>" kind of thinking.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias" is literally a bit from Colbert's 2006 Correspondent's Dinner.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Another beer brand did something or other that made them mad too, I think it was Miller Lite

Here you go

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/may/17/miller-lite-ads-women-clothing-misogyny

quote:

The newest target? Miller Lite. Conservatives are hopping mad after discovering a two-month-old Miller Lite commercial that was released during Women’s History Month.

What exactly is the problem with this ad? Well, it seems that people are taking extreme offense to the fact that the ad humorously points out that there is a long history of misogyny in beer advertising, including Miller’s own legacy of using women in skimpy bikinis to sell lager. Fully-clothed women drinking beer? Woke!

"Woke" is just the new word for "politically correct" and near as I can tell both are just terms that bascially amount to "try not to be an rear end in a top hat whenever possible". But right wingers look at this as "hey I'm FREE to be an rear end in a top hat if I want to god dammit USA USA USA". Yes, they are, but they take to an extreme and conflate being an rear end in a top hat with being free, so they MUST be assholes at all times. Otherwise, you're being silenced or something.

The very idea of not wanting to hurt someone's feelings or even being concerned about it (you know, "manners") somehow becomes a direct attack on their constitutional rights and an assault on these assholes' god given right to raise their children like assholes.

This often is erroneously defined as "telling it like it is" and "just saying what everyone's thinking but is too scared to say". But they're free thinkers and straight shooters, you see. Like Trump.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ah, that explains this bewildering recent Ramirez:

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The churchies are mad that women on TV are wearing too many clothes now?

Man it's getting so hard to keep up.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I just want one of the beer companies to release the Schmitt's Gay commercial with no edits other than shopping their actual brand name on the bottles.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

"Bring back beer ads with models in skimpy bathing suits!" *monkey's paw finger curls up*

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Now I want to pull the same rebranded generic beer trick as the "anti-woke" beer jackasses, just in the other direction.

Budgie Smuggler Lager. Who's with me? This is an investment opportunity.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

FFT posted:

Ah, that explains this bewildering recent Ramirez:

This was the first time I'd actually seen the Las Vegas Review Journal's cartoonist, somehow not surprised that he's just as much of a dipshit as the newspaper itself :rolleyes:

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

The churchies are mad that women on TV are wearing too many clothes now?

Man it's getting so hard to keep up.

No no, it's feminists that are now collecting and shredding pictures of women that show too much skin, as Miller apologizes for their past failure to get more women to drink their poison. Maybe it doesn't make up for the countless number of households destroyed by their product, but hey women brewers get free compost. Progress

quote:

In a statement issued to Forbes, Molson Coors wrote: “This video was about two things: worm poop and saying women shouldn’t be forced to mud wrestle in order to sell beer.

Not available for comment, their former employees and models that they "forced" to mud wrestle.

Anyway, their goal is to celebrate women in the beer industry by throwing the majority of them under the bus, only after they helped make American pisswater lagers dominate the industry by being the centerpieces of a series of gross but highly-successful marketing campaigns. It's a sacrifice that has to be made, to redefine why people think of beer as “Bad $#!T"

It's not alcohol that turned men into domestic abusers, but titillation in marketing! Of course. It's a repeat of big tobacco's "freedom torches" campaign.

A smarter ad for women's history month could have still lampooned those old ads by catching up with the women in those 30 year-old ads, instead of shredding them as literal props. How do they feel? Pride? Shame? Just another working-class gig? All of the above? Of course that would be insane because even ostensibly feminist beer companies don't want to talk to women past the age of 40.

It's a terrible ad, but not for the reasons chuds claim offense, but because it protests the objectification of women while reducing them to literal objects. The ad spends more time on the bikini women, their posters, and their composted form than any modern-day women brewers. Who are the women that own breweries? Do they have names? Maybe you could advertise their beer, maybe? I'm sure that would mean a lot more than dumping a bunch of compost on their yard, but I'm not marketing exec

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The best pilsner I've ever had was at a brewery whose master brewer is a woman with a biochem degree.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Now I want to pull the same rebranded generic beer trick as the "anti-woke" beer jackasses, just in the other direction.

Budgie Smuggler Lager. Who's with me? This is an investment opportunity.

I considered the idea that someone's gonna come out with a beer named after a gun and CHUDS would jump all over it until I realized those already exist. Probably just a simple matter of coming out with a lovely beer called PATRIOT PILSNER, EAGLE or FREEDOM FOAM beer. Star Spangled Stout. I dunno. Put a bunch of lovely USA flag graphics on it then brew it overseas.

Or just drain the toilet and bottle that since that's what most of them drink anyway.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mustang posted:

I would not at all be surprised that "educated urban liberal elites" heavily prefer craft beer over anything like Bud Light. At least here in Seattle, can't remember the last time I saw anyone order a mass market beer. Exception being Rainier Beer because of it's local history here (though it's not brewed here anymore).

Does Sam Adams count as mass market beer? Most people here in beantown drink some crafty IPA but Sam’s still common enough. Not an InBev company though AFAIK.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Murgos posted:

Does Sam Adams count as mass market beer? Most people here in beantown drink some crafty IPA but Sam’s still common enough. Not an InBev company though AFAIK.

Boston Beer Company is not owned by anyone else. Has other brands in there like Dogfish Head and such.

They are constantly trying to "fight" to be not the in same category as the other large producers, but they're essentially a mass market beer. They're a higher quality mass market beer though.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Yeah it feels a bit like baby's first craft beer but it's still craft beer and usually very good. It's the "Oh Radiohead? Yeah I love Creep!" of craft beer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Craft beer (n.): a beer made in a traditional or non-mechanized way by a small brewery.

It's clearly not a craft beer, it's just a mass-produced mass-market beer that tastes like something other than an adjunct lager.

It definitely provides a path for people to walk down on their way to enjoying craft beer, but that doesn't make it craft beer.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 20, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh no the craft beer police are on the scene

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It may have been a typo (I think?), but I'm appropriating "craft been" for formerly small breweries that suddenly get national distribution, but are still trying to make the same stuff they did before they got big.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sam Adams is nothing special but it's a relatively big step up from the Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Lite, Natural Lite swill that most of the redneck MAGA types I know tend to drink when they go fishin' and hoist their big flags and poo poo. It tends to taste like actual beer instead of beer that's been diluted with half a can of water anyways.

I drink my fair share of beer for sure and am not a real snob about it but I could never stand any of those mainstream commercial lite beers, even as an alcohol drinking rookie, and they always kind of made me gag a little bit. Closest thing I can compare it to is coffee that's brewed too weak; like my mother used to enjoy.

Anyway, that's my opinion on lovely beer that CHUDS want to cancel.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

I suppose "mass market" can mean a lot of things, but if I see ads for it on the other side of the continent, in a different country, it just might be mass market.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

Sam Adams is nothing special but it's a relatively big step up from the Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Lite, Natural Lite swill that most of the redneck MAGA types I know tend to drink when they go fishin' and hoist their big flags and poo poo. It tends to taste like actual beer instead of beer that's been diluted with half a can of water anyways.

I drink my fair share of beer for sure and am not a real snob about it but I could never stand any of those mainstream commercial lite beers, even as an alcohol drinking rookie, and they always kind of made me gag a little bit. Closest thing I can compare it to is coffee that's brewed too weak; like my mother used to enjoy.

Anyway, that's my opinion on lovely beer that CHUDS want to cancel.

One story I heard was that Anheiser Busch etc were among the few breweries that survived prohibition and stuff like rice was added to the beer to save money. Perhaps due to inertia light beer was popular with working class people. It's got a lower ABV and people find it milder tasting without leaving them feeling bloated.

But I'm like you. Standard light beers just taste like the worst of both worlds- they taste watered down and don't even get you buzzed easily. Coors banquet is...slightly less mediocre than light beers, and Sam Adams is a step up and a definite pick if the only options are bud light, Coors light, keystone light, or Sam Adams. They also used to have a few seasonal varieties which were kind of nice

Stella Artois and Heineken are also pilsners, right? And they taste so much better! I also have a soft spot for Mexican beers as my in laws particularly like Modelo; I'm guessing it's the fact that they don't drink the "light" versions of these, they exist but seem much more uncommon (corona light exists in theory but the local bodegas certainly don't bother with it).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
For cheap domestics I like Miller High Life or Rainier, for actual good light beers it's hard to go wrong with Stella, and if you want your waiter at the TexMex place to think you're a person of culture, order a Victoria instead of a Corona or Modelo.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Edit: Out of curiosity I started poking around on the Ruth's Institute's website, and it didn't take long to find arguments that LGBT people don't actually exist, since it's all just choices people make, and they can just stop making those choices at any time. It's essentially their way of arguing that LGBT civil rights are irrelevant, since LGBT people aren't even a thing, so let's all stop talking about it. So, yeah, that's her main takeaway from "not all identical twins share sexual orientations".
I also poked around and I'm mostly amused by how close their flag is to the "E Pluribus Anus" one from Community.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Panfilo posted:

Stella Artois and Heineken are also pilsners, right? And they taste so much better!
Heineken!? gently caress that poo poo! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FMguru posted:

Correct. Pabst is the beau ideal of cheap domestic macrobrews.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Where is all the love for Hamms!?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TGG posted:

Not as easily obtainable as PBR, at least not in my area.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TGG posted:

"from the land of sky blue water"? Likely story.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FMguru posted:

Where's my bourbon?!

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I like that no one ever admits to drinking Bud and Coors or whatever and they are by far the most popular beer brands. Kind of like no one eating at McDonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'll admit it. I drank a lot of Budweiser when I lived overseas because I was homesick.