Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm still not clear on how a repeater actually accomplishes its task of doing the work of like 15 bullets at once but you know what i'll allow it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
If you're jonesing for a new Xcom style game, I posted a quickie review of Showgunners (which is XCom meets the Running Man) in the May Chat thread.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Now put it on a Reaper with Banish and give her an extended mag :sickos:

This is the way :getin:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
there's some perk in rpgo for pistol mains and snipers that lets them just take a free shot at everything in a pod when it gets revealed. it's so cheese, I love it. just let them take point somewhere high and they'll eliminate most stuff under like ten HP instantly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

There's an RPGO specialization called Havoc that has a 50% chance to do that any moving member of a scattering pod, but let's you use any weapon, so I would stack damage boosts from upgrades and skills and ammo on a cannon and rush that to the front and stuff with less than 30 hp would vanish. Goodbye typical sectopod. I had to stop building that combo because I was abusing it so much it was ridiculous.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 3, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Any tips on how to beat the "UFO caught up to my spaceship" mission?

I can beat the first 2 weak enemies. But then the Archon King + another Archon just stomp me. And then a group of lizards and another group of dudes also show up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is that the one where you're grounded, perhaps with some sentries (if you build the base module), and there's some big cannon in the distance you have to disable?

If so, take it slow, the time limit was pretty generous iirc. Secure the starting area and with the huge amount of extra bodies you have just slowly sweep towards the cannon, overwatch gangbusting whoever you come across. Archon king is easily the biggest problem there, by a mile.

If it's a different mission, Archon king is still a whole load of trouble and you kind of have to accept that his big aerial "hit every team member in one turn" is total bullshit and you'll probably lose a guy to it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Any tips on how to beat the "UFO caught up to my spaceship" mission?

I can beat the first 2 weak enemies. But then the Archon King + another Archon just stomp me. And then a group of lizards and another group of dudes also show up.

You need to go out there and destroy the thing keeping the Avenger grounded. Defending the ramp is not enough. Be prepared to lose some troops if you're behind on tech.

For future reference: Don't activate Rulers you are not prepared to deal with in random missions.

If you cannot beat this mission you lose this run. :xcom:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Didn't even know the Rulers thing was a setting! The first two made nice suits though.

I'll try reloading old saves and either not get the UFO event at all or at least not have UFO event + King.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Didn't even know the Rulers thing was a setting! The first two made nice suits though.

I'll try reloading old saves and either not get the UFO event at all or at least not have UFO event + King.

There's a couple different ways of releasing them into random encounters:

1) integrated dlc - the rulers will first appear attached to a facility and the facility mission will flag itself as alien ruler present. Don't raid that facility and the ruler stays there until you do.

2) Alien rulers classic (dlc enabled and not integrated) - They start showing up at set periods after you do the mission the nest.

3) dlc disabled but installed - gently caress you. Ready or not here they come. All rulers activate on a clock.

4) dlc not installed - no rulers, no weapons.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I always used to do the classic mode so you had to do the nest mission to spawn them, but at some point I just decided to do the integrated one and keep them parked at facilities until I was ready for them. Nest is too hard of a mission for how early it spawns, and too easy later to bother with.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
You also don't need to be aggressive at all in base defense. The enemies will come to you, and you'll be fed friendly reinforcements from your bench. Ideally, if you can move a Reaper / Ranger to watch the King and a Squadsight Sniper to take potshots at it, you may be able to cheese it down to the point of fleeing.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I really want Xenonauts 2 to come out, it looks really good

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

You also don't need to be aggressive at all in base defense. The enemies will come to you, and you'll be fed friendly reinforcements from your bench. Ideally, if you can move a Reaper / Ranger to watch the King and a Squadsight Sniper to take potshots at it, you may be able to cheese it down to the point of fleeing.

Ended up sortof doing this kindof. Without the Ranger though (I think I've got like 1 or that class and I did all sword talents).

Reloaded an old save so when the UFO caught up I got a better map that has some cover beyond the barricades.

The King was still there BUT he was way in the back of the map instead of starting right in my face.

Was able to clear the initial enemies, then get some decent long range hits on the King before he was in my face. So at least he was chipped down a bit and had lost some of his armor.

His annoying slam attack did leave one squad member unconscious so had to carry her back which sucked.

And one of the dudes who went to blow up the beacon ended up like 3 turns away from the gangway so ended up fighting like 3 or 4 or 5 enemy reinforcements before he made it back.

No losses and like 6 or so level ups.

Pretty brutal running defense at the end combined with the radio man going "YOU'RE LEAVING SOMEONE BEHIND COMMANDER!!!!" but like the counter was on zero :psyduck:

But yeah gently caress those Kings lol, especially when everyone is out of ammo and you can't reload or when he does that "sky beam" poo poo but all squadees he's targeting have already had their turns so they're just hosed.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nobody died, no man left behind, sounds like a great mission good work!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

And now you can get landed UFOs when the game generates a supply raid; very profitable.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I did at least learn the value of more than 4 squad members. Finally finished the building that lets you bring more lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:stare:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Tosk posted:

I really want Xenonauts 2 to come out, it looks really good

I legitimately thought it had evaporated into vapourware but good to see it may actually come out.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I did at least learn the value of more than 4 squad members. Finally finished the building that lets you bring more lol

Every time I've tried to get that achievement for never upgrading the squad size I give up after the third terror mission because it turns into such a pain in the rear end.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there are certain achievements that should not exist and that one is definitely one of them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hooboy

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Rynoto posted:

I legitimately thought it had evaporated into vapourware but good to see it may actually come out.

same. I really liked the somewhat grittier style of the original XCOM games and xenonauts seems to lean more into that. i watched someone play through the demo on YT and it looks sick.

these games are also great, but my last attempt to play LW2 was just a frustrating neverending spam of missions that I couldn't keep up with and I got kinda bored of the slog. Looking forward to sinking my teeth into a new xcom-like

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

H-h-how?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

H-h-how?

Was just building what the story told me to make and 4 seemed good enough. Gotta build the Shadow Research Center or whatever no time for the Warrior Training School.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, I can see that happening and being very painful. Xcom 2 by design bombards you with options and you can't afford everything. Even more than enemy unknown, which also did this. With all the dlc you also have those special weapons adding an additional resource sink. If you're blind you might not realize the officer training school means an additional 150% actions per turn and the sheer increase in damage and reliability that brings. I could easily see it being accidentally skipped for the mission critical stuff the game pushes.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Resistance Center -> Comms -> Foundry -> Guerilla Tactics -> Training Center or Psilab -> Shadow Chamber, with electricity as need be, imho.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Serephina posted:

Nobody died, no man left behind, sounds like a great mission good work!

What's a little PTSD between squaddies?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing vanilla XCOM again and it's funny how much of the stuff I thought was in the original game is from longwar.

Nearly got My scout murdered because I forgot she didn't have the overwatch running ability. Having that on assaults just feels wrong

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
How do people like Sparks? I use them a ton but don't see people talk about them a lot. I really like them for helping to keep people fresh in the early game when I'm trying to take down the Chosen.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I can't remember the last time I used an unmodded Spark, but even vanilla ones are excellent to deploy against the Warlock because all he can do is shoot them

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sparks suffer from not being the impossibly butch MECs from the first game, which is fine by me but understandably a let down.

They also have the interesting position of being a huge opportunity cost, as all the DLC addons are parallel upgrades and you only have so much money to go around. I typically skipped psi, not because it's optimal, but because I didn't like how can't-use-me-yet, but-win-more-when-you-do they are. So all that money goes into other techs (and not wasting avenger power on the expensive psi room), so Sparks get a shoe-in from all the extra money, with only EXO armour providing competition from the cores.

I like them, they eventually fall off after everyone gets to colonel (+wotc extra skills), but having mister reliable in the midgame is nice.

edit: Also, Julian.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like them and always have a couple around but they aren't strictly speaking worth it, at least in vanilla. Getting a few of the minor mods just to tweak them slightly makes them so much more fun and worth the cost

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The only thing I miss about not having SPARKs is their kool-aid man wall breaching ability.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

pun pundit posted:

The only thing I miss about not having SPARKs is their kool-aid man wall breaching ability.

Sectoids make a great breaching charge

I miss MECs

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SPARKs are used as your base of fire, basically. you use them to establish the core of your shooting strength and their upgrades let you expand on that in various ways.

bulwark stuff means that SPARKs will be resistant to return fire, war machine line means it will generally try to make sure there is nobody alive to return fire. i prefer the latter, by a lot.

they become more important on Impossible when everyone's got that extra 1 or 2 health that means they survive extra shots. the SPARK's autocannon has that extra damage that means they will still confirm kills. later on this becomes even more important as hunter protocol can really take a chunk out of an incoming enemy pod and make the resultant tactical situation much more simple

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Sectoids make a great breaching charge

I miss MECs

MECs were so good. They're the one big thing I wish oldcom and its mods could replicate as tanks just don't feel the same.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rynoto posted:

MECs were so good. They're the one big thing I wish oldcom and its mods could replicate as tanks just don't feel the same.

I’m playing Enemy Within again, and always love when Control says “We trust you will handle this with discretion.” As my three MECs with full grenade launchers and power fists suit up.

Uh, sure buddy, going to discreet the gently caress out of this one as I punch a man through a wall and lay down the grenades. Right on it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

I’m playing Enemy Within again, and always love when Control says “We trust you will handle this with discretion.” As my three MECs with full grenade launchers and power fists suit up.

Uh, sure buddy, going to discreet the gently caress out of this one as I punch a man through a wall and lay down the grenades. Right on it.

Listen, sending a message is important sometimes. More important than staying quiet in the shadows.

Especially when the message you’re sending is “gently caress you, gently caress your cover, drat shame you shitbirds didn’t just stay home” :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I can't find a stable download on the OpenXcom site, all I get is a video for nightlies, nightlies downloads and extras, what do I do if I just want a working version and don't care about having the super-newest one?

Red Oktober posted:

No witness, no problem. Is very discreet.