Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
My post from April 14, 2020:

Rabbit Hill posted:

I live in an apartment building in the center of town. Every few days, a landscaping crew parks on the street below my window, men get out with leaf-blowers, and at sporadic intervals all day long, they pace up and down the block while pointing their leaf-blowers into the air. The noise started at 8:15 this morning, stopped for a while, and now it's started again. The noise is driving me crazy. Naturally, I left my noise-cancelling headphones in my desk in my workplace, where I can't enter. I have to work on spreadsheets all day with this horrible noise and I have ADHD and I cannot concentrate.

I want to pour cauldrons of boiling oil upon these men from my window. What are they blowing? There are no leaves upon the ground. It's drizzling rain out, so anything on the ground is sticky and hard to blow around anyway. And they're not pointing the blowers on the ground, but at waist-level. What are they doing? Why are they doing it for hours and hours, several days a week? They'll do it from morning until late afternoon. Blowing air around for no reason. The noise is driving me crazy.

In my state, only "life-sustaining" businesses are allowed to remain open. Landscaping is not life-sustaining. These are not people doing yard work in their own yards, these are people from a landscaping company who are driving to this street and getting out and blowing air around. I don't know if they're working for the town borough or if they've been hired by my apartment complex or if they're volunteers doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. The noise is driving me crazy. There's more than one of them. I can hear two on my block and one more up the street. Three people are blowing air around for no reason for hours.

If it at least seemed like they were doing something productive with the leaf-blowers, maybe I wouldn't mind. Maybe if leaf-blowers weren't terrible for the environment and did more than blow poo poo around that will just be blown back around by the next gust of wind. Maybe if they didn't do it FOR HOURS A DAY SEVERAL DAYS A WEEK WHAT THE gently caress ARE THEY DOING THERE ARE NO LEAVES ON THE GROUND AND IT'S RAINING OUT WHAT ARE THEY BLOWING AROUND drrrrRRRRRRRRRR ddddrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR drrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR FOR HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS SEND HLEP
In the three spring seasons we've had since 2020, there have been people using leafblowers. Occasionally. But never to the extent that they were in the first 6-9 months of COVID lockdown.

It was ridiculous. It was most days of the week, and sometimes it would start as early as 7:30 am and continue for hours at a time throughout the day, sometimes until 7 pm. Again, beginning in March 2020, when there were no leaves on the ground, even when it was raining out, and when only "life-sustaining" businesses were supposed to be open. They used the leafblowers as often in March as they did in October when there were leaves on the ground, continuing into winter.

I never called to complain, mainly because I didn't want my complaint to result in the men using the leafblowers losing their jobs during the pandemic, but also because they weren't violating my town's legal quiet hours and they seemed to have been hired by the town government itself.

Anyway, now I have a pavlovian rage response to the sound of a leafblower so that's exciting. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

docbeard posted:

That's fine but please don't do it outside my window at 7 AM

This has been my peeve for a couple years at my apartment complex. Winter time, whenever it snows even a little, the grounds crew are out anywhere between 11pm & like 6am scraping shovels around. It used to be similar in spring where once a week on Tuesday or Wednesday they'd mow/edge & bring out the leaf blowers between 7 & 8 in the morning. They've been better about it lately with the mowing but being woke up at 2am by shovels right outside my window sucks.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
gently caress the internet of things.

My apartment building has laundry machines run via a laundry machine company that makes you use a phone app to pay and start the machines.

Today I go to do laundry, and all of the machines have been replaced with new machines, for the third time in the ~7 years I've lived here. The last couple times they were replaced, it was because the machines were breaking down (they were real pieces of poo poo), and it was the second replacement that introduced the app poo poo. This time, the old machines worked fine. Hadn't seen one out-of-order in months. The app was annoying but mostly tolerable in that period. But today with the new machines there was instant trouble.

Out of the six machines, only one is empty. I put my clothes in. I put my detergent in. I open the app, and scan the QR code. "Machine is in use," it says, "27 minutes left." uhh bullshit, I say, it is clearly unoccupied and not doing a drat thing. I try to figure this out for several minutes.

Meanwhile, two other machines end, and the lady who was using them comes in and starts transferring her poo poo to the dryers. I wait, and when she's done, I move my clothes to one of those machines. "Machine is in use, 27 minutes left." What the gently caress?? The other machine - same deal. Meanwhile a fourth machine has ended, and its user has not arrived. The app says the machine is available. I open the door to the machine, then close it again, just to test. And suddenly the app says that the machine is in use, 27 minutes remain, even though the LCD display shows nothing and the machine is clearly off. Every time you open a door to one of the machines, it resets to 27 minutes, and at this point I've been in the laundry room for like 15 minutes, and none of those numbers have gone down - four machines now say "27 minutes left" despite being not on. I unplug one of the machines and plug it back in; still says 27 minutes left.

I try to put in a service request. The app will not let me; the drop-down menu for "select problem" has no options in it, and it will not let you submit a ticket without selecting something.

My apartment complex has a second laundry room. I go over there, to see whether that room has the same bug, and find two workers who are actively in the process of installing the new machines there. I explain the problem and one of them comes back with me to the first laundry room and attempts to fix the problem. He manages to get one of them started but it takes him like ten minutes of fiddling around with his presumably developer version of the app and many failed attempts. By the time it finally starts, I have been trying to start my laundry for 40 minutes. If I hadn't luckily stumbled across a laundry company tech, I'd be at a laundromat right now.

I ask him why the machines were replaced. He says the building renewed their contract with the laundry company, and as part of the new contract, the laundry company forced them to get new machines. A complete waste of everyone's time and effort, and a huge waste of money, for no benefit, all because the laundry company presumably wants to scam our apartment building out of the installation fees.

I really wish we just had coin-operated machines. I don't understand why anyone thinks this app poo poo is more convenient or whatever.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

What a gigantic pain in the rear end.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
That was kinda fun to read about, but I can barely imagine the level of piss-boiling rage I'd be feeling in that situation.

Something about software just not working, and allowing you literally no recourse to fix it, basically turns me into a screaming toddler within minutes.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The Perfect Element posted:

That was kinda fun to read about, but I can barely imagine the level of piss-boiling rage I'd be feeling in that situation.

Something about software just not working, and allowing you literally no recourse to fix it, basically turns me into a screaming toddler within minutes.

i keep it very carefully bottled up safe on the inside where the anger can slowly transmute itself to stress and anxiety

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
People who buy a fake service dog vest and put it on their pet as one weird trick that lets you violate health code directives. That's not a loving service dog. how can i tell? Well it's loving barking at strangers, jumping up and licking small children, begging for pets, sniffing the meat and produce, and loving pissing on our loving floor. You haven't even trained it to loving behave in public, nobody has loving trained it as a service animal. If you can't go anywhere without your pet dog consider taking advantage of our pickup or delivery options instead of bringing your loving animal in to PISS IN THE GROCERY STORE WHERE ALL THE loving FOOD IS

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
But don't you see? Dogs are better than people, therefore they should be allowed anywhere at anytime because who doesn't like a good DOGGO

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The fraudvests are double dumb because even people with real service dogs can be asked to leave if it's being disruptive. All they're accomplishing is advertising that they're being an rear end in a top hat on purpose.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

InediblePenguin posted:

People who buy a fake service dog vest and put it on their pet as one weird trick that lets you violate health code directives. That's not a loving service dog. how can i tell? Well it's loving barking at strangers, jumping up and licking small children, begging for pets, sniffing the meat and produce, and loving pissing on our loving floor. You haven't even trained it to loving behave in public, nobody has loving trained it as a service animal. If you can't go anywhere without your pet dog consider taking advantage of our pickup or delivery options instead of bringing your loving animal in to PISS IN THE GROCERY STORE WHERE ALL THE loving FOOD IS

A woman came into our store with a cat in her shirt, and then a person with a dog came in, and the cat lady had to hide in the loving back of the store until we could get rid of the dog because her cat was tearing her heart out

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

credburn posted:

A woman came into our store with a cat in her shirt, and then a person with a dog came in, and the cat lady had to hide in the loving back of the store until we could get rid of the dog because her cat was tearing her heart out

Seems like a self solving problem.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DontMockMySmock posted:

Laundry machine bullshittery

This is one of the many reasons I'm SO glad my current apartment has a washer/dryer in the unit. My last place had a crappy coin-op laundry room on the first floor & had similar issues - they had maybe 10 machines total & at any given time at least 3-4 would be out of service, the rest would be completely full. I'd usually just go early on a weekend to the laundromat about a block away & get my stuff done, thankfully I moved out of that place like 5 years ago. Heard the new property management company that took over ended up screwing almost all their tenants too with rent hikes & rule changes, probably 2/3 of the people who lived there ended up vacating within a few months :lol: only found out since I'm still friends with a few people there but it sounds like a total poo poo-show.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

my thermometer drains batteries when its off. so i have to put the battery in and out when i'm done measuring my temperature to save the battery. now there is a button cell hanging out with the thermometer. sometimes, it rolls away

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
If I log into Amazon from a different device from the previous time, I have to reset my password. Log in from desktop? Uh oh you gotta change your password! Want to watch amazon Prime from my phone? Gotta reset my password! But I can't use any password I've used before and also like half the passwords I TRY to use are "not available," whatever that means.

At this point, it's just a normal exercise. Reset password, let Google come up with some random bunch of letters, go through five minutes of e-mail tag, verification links, captchas that INSIST I'm a robot. It never tells me WHY I have to, and nobody else I know has this problem. Arrghhh

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Are you using a VPN

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I totally love having to ride my bicycle into traffic because people think that the clearly-marked bike lane is a parking lot. It's either that or go around around the cars the other way, straight into a ditch. I've ridden into a ditch before, it was not fun, would not recommend.
It's literally one metre on the side of the road, please park somewhere else. drat it, I ask for so little.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Maybe if your bike had some kind of motor on it to keep up with the rest of traffic you wouldn't selfishly need three feet to yourself.

Some kind of motor bike.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Guyver posted:

Maybe if your bike had some kind of motor on it to keep up with the rest of traffic you wouldn't selfishly need three feet to yourself.

Some kind of motor bike.

mmm, yes, someone is complaining that cycling is too dangerous because of poor bicycle infrastructure. "I know what'll make things safer, a motorcycle!"

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Oh no motorcycles are dangerous. Just put a two stroke on the bike.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Maybe if you added two more wheels to the bike and two tonnes of weight. And built an aluminum and steel frame. And raised it so high that you could no longer see children ahead of you. Then you'd be safe.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Why stop at two? They make duallys for a reason.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bandcamp is a great site for supporting indie artists directly, and that's the main reason it's my primary source for buying music. But it's really annoying when you revisit an album that's been sitting on your wishlist for a while and find that you can't listen to it because Bandcamp pops up a nagging "Time to open your wallet!" message.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

You are expending your own time and effort by parking on the sidewalk like that. You can just not fuckin' do it. WHY?? 3/8 of a second more to park the rest of the way into the driveway.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
3/8 more of second before you slam your shitmobile into park instead of using the brakes to not be on the road/sidewalk. What the gently caress is your problem.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

You are expending your own time and effort by parking on the sidewalk like that. You can just not fuckin' do it. WHY?? 3/8 of a second more to park the rest of the way into the driveway.

Was this post stuck in some forums buffer for 15 years? That's some X Files level potato phone camera quality.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Samsung S3 Mini, so basically.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

When a site/service has profile pics, but not square ones, and when you upload an icon (or if it's fancy, use their picture cropper), you have to redo it because the first zoom and crop got hosed up.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I moved partly because my upstairs neighbors made an insane amount of unidentifiable noise between about 7pm-4am that sounded, without exaggeration, like potato sacks being dropped, bowling balls being rolled, and wrestling. Whatever the hell my upstairs neighbors were doing up there was so percussive enough that I could feel it in my floor.

My new apartment is on the top floor, and now I live next door to a woman whose child literally sits on the floor & repeatedly stomps as hard as he can on the floor (or maybe wall? I'm not sure, but I saw him sitting on the floor stomping in the lobby so I'm assuming) and screaming at the top of his lungs. On the bright side, he does stop late at night, but I still work from home so it's a pain in the rear end.

This kind of feels like a cross between pet peeves & first world problems, but I wasn't sure what thread to put it in.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those kind of noises would infuriate me

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

YeahTubaMike posted:

I moved partly because my upstairs neighbors made an insane amount of unidentifiable noise between about 7pm-4am that sounded, without exaggeration, like potato sacks being dropped, bowling balls being rolled, and wrestling. Whatever the hell my upstairs neighbors were doing up there was so percussive enough that I could feel it in my floor.

My new apartment is on the top floor, and now I live next door to a woman whose child literally sits on the floor & repeatedly stomps as hard as he can on the floor (or maybe wall? I'm not sure, but I saw him sitting on the floor stomping in the lobby so I'm assuming) and screaming at the top of his lungs. On the bright side, he does stop late at night, but I still work from home so it's a pain in the rear end.

This kind of feels like a cross between pet peeves & first world problems, but I wasn't sure what thread to put it in.

I think my upstairs neighbor recently discovered online gaming. Now at random hours of the night and into the early morning I'll hear him scream "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!" or "GO AROUND GO AROUND GO AROUND GO AROUND SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!"

haha right after I posted this, I hear him yell "my man PAT!!!!! Pat my MAN!!!!!"

It's 3:58 am :mad:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Find out what game he plays and pwn him into submissive silence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Let him cook

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My neighbour cannot laugh at a normal volume and has a weird hyena cackle, also thinks screeching 'Noooo! Stawwwwp!' at her dogs is the same thing as training them. I understand your suffering

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hate how many people get dogs just to yell at them eternally. Maybe you don't like dogs as much as you think, dude, usually when I like something I learn about them and poo poo!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
There's a person who comes into the store I work at nights and brings her dog and every single loving interaction goes exactly like this:

Me: Hey, what can I get you?

Her: I was -- STOP! NO! -- can I get -- STOP! NO! KNOCK IT OFF! STAY! STAY! -- can I get -- SHH! SHH!! STOP! -- can I get a -- SHUT UP! STOP! -- sorry she's not normally like this

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

We didn't move (to a different apartment in our building) primarily because of the noise but we had extremely loud upstairs neighbors in our old apartment, and only moderately loud ones now.

I do now have to put up with 7 AM Lawn Mower Right Outside My Window once a week though.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

We have steam radiators here and I was able to feed two birds with one scone by getting them completely disabled: the indoor temperature stopped climbing to >35C and they stopped going CLANG CLANG CLANG all night!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I'm the upstairs neighbor but the people below me are unbelievably loud. Periodically through the day, they do something that makes a huge slam, loud enough to shake my floors. It's knocked stuff of shelves before. I asked them about it but of course they have no idea what it could be.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I got a new job, back in an office for the first time in five years. I love office work, let me be a clerical drone forever, etc. I'm very happy with it.

But my new work-related peeve is women's office pants/trousers. It seems like ankle pants are still in style, to the exclusion of almost anything else.

Being both moderately tall and plus-sized, any of these in a "regular" inseam (which is all I can find/afford nowadays) wind up stopping awkwardly at mid-calf and making me look like a business-casual hobbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

For at least a couple of years now, I've sporadically had friends and family tell me that when they tried to call me, some woman answered instead. At no point did any of them ask "so what number did I reach?"

Today I finally just threw "google fi someone else answers the phone" at google.

Turns out I've had call forwarding turned on for my old number for like 5 years.

gently caress!

Also it turns out the first four numbers of my phone number after the area code are JERK