Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why's Philip Schofield left This Morning with immediate effect, and why are all the papers doing that: "Hee hee, we know more than we're telling, hint hint!" thing?

I have no idea either but I think media loves the smell of their own farts.

Popbitch has covered it (which is fine) and basically he is a bit of a oval office and I think they are kicking him on the way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

This is truly insane. A Unionist arguing that it’s unfair Sinn Fein won so much and they should have let unionists have a chance. This is endgame stuff

https://twitter.com/SluggerOToole/status/1659881741337722886?s=20

And at DUP headquarters: "Fenians, fenians everywhere!!!!" :derp:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why's Philip Schofield left This Morning with immediate effect, and why are all the papers doing that: "Hee hee, we know more than we're telling, hint hint!" thing?

[Points at Savile/Harris/Glitter]

https://twitter.com/JodieMarsh/status/1658959394623594501

e: There are NDAs/super injunctions that are supposedly expiring in July. Schofield has already hired lawyers, and Willoughby a PR firm in preparation.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 20, 2023

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Clinton Baptiste would have a field day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

And at DUP headquarters: "Fenians, fenians everywhere!!!!" :derp:
TUV: The only explanation for this outcome is that the Pope goes door to door everywhere in their communities disguised as a Domino's pizza delivery man (the clue is in the name) and tells all of them how they must vote.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

fuctifino posted:

[Points at Savile/Harris/Glitter]

https://twitter.com/JodieMarsh/status/1658959394623594501

e: There are NDAs/super injunctions that are supposedly expiring in July. Schofield has already hired lawyers, and Willoughby a PR firm in preparation.

With the amount of sniggering the press are doing, it has to be noncery. It may be the kind where they "wait" to cross a particular line, and I will not be surprised to see that mentioned in one of the rags when this all comes out like it makes a shred of difference.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

rocket_Magnet posted:

With the amount of sniggering the press are doing, it has to be noncery. It may be the kind where they "wait" to cross a particular line, and I will not be surprised to see that mentioned in one of the rags when this all comes out like it makes a shred of difference.

It seems like another case of everyone in the industry knowing about it and turning a blind eye. There are some really disturbing archived social media posts and photos from the time when the boy in question was ~14/15, and where it appears as though both Philip and Simon Schofield (not related, but being described as close friends in the media) were pretty inappropriate. I won't post them here but you can find them easily on twitter. The Schofield's had access to the boy from around the age of 10 through the theatre company.

I've seen people in the industry hint that there's more stuff to come out that predates this boy, and a pattern of behaviour that started when Schofield was at the BBC. It's certainly bad enough that not a single person has a good word to say about him, and after 20 years presenting the breakfast TV show, there's no celebratory episode or official goodbye.

So yeah, it's going to be bad

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 20, 2023

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
There’s also the recent, uh, legal issues his brother is facing , which people - correctly or incorrectly, who knows - seem to be jumping to conclusions about.

I have to say though, you have a little scout around on Twitter and you’re very quickly awash with all the classic homophobic insinuations, so who knows

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 20, 2023

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Some sort of injunction is due to expire shortly.

There will probably be allegations of noncery.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A super injunction to hide that you're a beast would be a new low of British jurisprudence, and the whole super injunction system already seems pretty loving rotten.

Whole system seems bad almost as if the law exists to protect those with the most property or something!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have superinjunctions ever been used to do anything other than hide the crimes of rich media weirdos?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Have superinjunctions ever been used to do anything other than hide the crimes of rich media weirdos?

Hey, having an affair with your brother’s wife is not a crime :colbert:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Answers Me posted:

There’s also the recent, uh, legal issues his brother is facing , which people - correctly or incorrectly, who knows - seem to be jumping to conclusions about.

I have to say though, you have a little scout around on Twitter and you’re very quickly awash with all the classic homophobic insinuations, so who knows

The stuff with his brother is a mere coincidence, and has nothing to do with the stuff that's about to break re: Philip. I have a gay friend who's all over this with a fine tooth comb, and he's really good at filtering out any bullshit and it passes his filters. Yes, there will be homophobic cunts who'll try to weaponise this to their own means, but gently caress those people... well, not literally, obviously.

I really do think Philip is going to be having a Savile moment, except he'll be alive to face the consequences.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
apparently my brother's friend who has a somewhat peripheral job in TV told him that Schofield story, but she also claimed Gordon Ramsay and Ross Kemp are having it off, which I would like to know more about

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Incredible stuff here from Keith. His big plan for the NHS is , erm, selling patient health data for experiments

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/20/labour-will-throw-everything-at-reforming-the-nhs/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

labour will not retreat to its ideological comfort zone which is why it's 1997 again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Incredible stuff here from Keith. His big plan for the NHS is , erm, selling patient health data for experiments

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/20/labour-will-throw-everything-at-reforming-the-nhs/

Honestly, the fact that he's writing in a paper that's been zooming off towards the far-right event horizon so fast while leaving any significant readership behind is itself remarkable. At least with the Times, you can cling to its much-tarnished 'paper of record' reputation. The Telegraph is only one step away from going up on stage at the NatC conference.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, the fact that he's writing in a paper that's been zooming off towards the far-right event horizon so fast while leaving any significant readership behind is itself remarkable. At least with the Times, you can cling to its much-tarnished 'paper of record' reputation. The Telegraph is only one step away from going up on stage at the NatC conference.

I bet there's at least one Labour front-bencher whose main frustration this week is that the party is so left-wing they couldn't swing a paid gig to speak at the NatC conference.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

I bet there's at least one Labour front-bencher whose main frustration this week is that the party is so left-wing they couldn't swing a paid gig to speak at the NatC conference.

Keith is on the front bench, yes.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Mebh: If you were called britgpt instead of chatgpt can you give me some examples of how you might talk?

quote:

Certainly! As BritGPT, I would adopt a conversational style inspired by British English. Here are a few examples of how our conversation might sound:

Example 1:
User: Hey, BritGPT! How's it going today?
BritGPT: Hello there! I must say, it's jolly good to be here. I'm ready to assist you with any questions or topics you have in mind. What can I help you with today?

Example 2:
User: I'm planning a trip to London. What are some must-visit attractions?
BritGPT: Ah, London! A splendid choice for a visit. You simply can't miss iconic landmarks such as the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, and the British Museum. If you're into art, the Tate Modern is worth exploring. And don't forget to take a leisurely stroll along the Thames River for a delightful experience.

Example 3:
User: Could you recommend a classic British dish for me to try?
BritGPT: Absolutely! How about indulging in a traditional Sunday roast? It's a beloved British culinary tradition. You'll relish a succulent roasted joint of meat, accompanied by crispy roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, and an array of seasonal vegetables. It's a quintessentially British feast that'll satisfy your taste buds!

Example 4:
User: I'm curious about British slang. Can you share some popular expressions?
BritGPT: Certainly, old chap! British slang is quite a fascinating subject. For instance, "bloke" refers to a man, "cheeky" implies a playful or impudent behavior, and "chuffed" means feeling pleased or proud. And if something is "brilliant," it's simply fantastic! Feel free to ask if you'd like to delve into more colorful slang terms.

Example 5:
User: What are some famous British authors and their notable works?
BritGPT: Ah, British literature has produced some literary giants. Charles Dickens is renowned for his novels like "Great Expectations" and "A Tale of Two Cities." Jane Austen's works, such as "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility," are treasured classics. And we mustn't forget the incomparable William Shakespeare, whose plays like "Hamlet" and "Romeo and Juliet" are cherished worldwide.

I hope these examples give you a taste of what it would be like to chat with BritGPT!

A succulent British MEALLL!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

There was the one that made them famous, when the Guardian had their front page story about Trafigura being aware of how deadly the chemicals they were dumping in Cote d'Ivoire were suppressed until an MP used parliamentary privilege to publicise it.

Also worth considering that you can't even report that an injunction exists so we probably won't ever know how grotesque the system is

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Can't believe those WeBuyAnyCar ads would lie to us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-16X1r8Jd1Y
(RIP this video soon.)
Also seems Schofield publicly came out shortly after this runner "mysteriously" left the show, could've been he was trying to get the jump on any press stories about his sexuality.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

escapegoat posted:

Can't believe those WeBuyAnyCar ads would lie to us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-16X1r8Jd1Y
(RIP this video soon.)
Also seems Schofield publicly came out shortly after this runner "mysteriously" left the show, could've been he was trying to get the jump on any press stories about his sexuality.

Ya think?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hoping against hope that Gordon is innocent and didn't know anything about Schofield.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This thread doesn’t seem to be that hot on its showbiz gossip, but suffice to say it is quite astonishing, post Savile and lessons learned etc etc, that schofields management and their hold over ITV, have protected him this long

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have a horrible nonce on staff what do you do with them though? If you publicise that it invites awkward questions and jeopardises your job, if it gets found out later then you have already been paid a bunch and it's unlikely to actually materially affect you.

There's no incentive within the system to get rid of talent that makes you money no matter how many people suffer for it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

Mebh: If you were called britgpt instead of chatgpt can you give me some examples of how you might talk?

Did you handcraft those responses or are they real from chatgpt? I only tried it once a few weeks ago. When I can be bothered, I shall play around some more.
I thought I might use it to write one of those appalling chicklit novels - ed: deleted my ideas in case anyone nicks them or incase I do write it and I become Jaeluni KR & then track me down to SA and my popular opinions on matters of the day.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I think it was on an iteration of this thread many years ago that I read the amazing theory of how cliff had killed Jill Dando.

I can only presume the schofield is caught up in that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Came to this thread as I knew you lot would have a clue whats going on with Phil.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ben Soosneb posted:

I think it was on an iteration of this thread many years ago that I read the amazing theory of how cliff had killed Jill Dando.

I can only presume the schofield is caught up in that.

lmao oh gently caress I had completely forgotten about that, incredible stuff

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
How would an editor know not to run a superinjunctioned story unless they had a list of superinjunctions or a superinjunction oracle to query?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

domhal posted:

How would an editor know not to run a superinjunctioned story unless they had a list of superinjunctions or a superinjunction oracle to query?

they do, these things and “D notices” make sure that you, the british public, get only the most correct information allowed by the state

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The real question is what would happen if someone with a blog who was legitimately unaware of a superinjuction were to be given information about a case and write something up about it.

Can you be held in contempt of court if you were never aware that a superinjunction was in place? Or would you just be held in contempt of court every time you refused to name your source?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Ms Adequate posted:

Hoping against hope that Gordon is innocent and didn't know anything about Schofield.

He's just a normal Gopher.
Just an innocent Gopher.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
why aren't we going to prison right now for talking about superinjunctions?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

fuctifino posted:

It's certainly bad enough that not a single person has a good word to say about him, and after 20 years presenting the breakfast TV show, there's no celebratory episode or official goodbye.

So yeah, it's going to be bad

Yeah, that was pretty significant to me too: it's bad enough that they can't smooth it over and have him quietly retire: the abruptness tells you that there's more to come out, and it won't be pleasant.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

why aren't we going to prison right now for talking about superinjunctions?

That would require a supersuperinjunction

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

domhal posted:

From what I've read, an injunction requires naming who will be blocked from publishing material on the case. So for example if The Telegraph contacts a well known celebrity for comment on some allegations they've received, that celebrity then runs to their legal team who take out an injunction against The Telegraph. The editor there is told by the court that the paper can't run the story.

Other papers are technically still free to report on the story, assuming they have some kind of source for it. However they'd almost certainly end up with another injunction if they tried. In practice newspaper editors are also going to be talking to each other at their own noncing parties about which stories to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
mps dont cost much, some interested party should just pay one to read out all the superinjunctions in parliament each week.