Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/5-7/50

Now where did Albert get a Vassar cap?

Archie 6/1/47

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 21, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Of course Bernice jumping up and taking credit like that in front of everyone isn't treated as loving embarrassing because Team Evans don't know how people work.

Gil Thorp

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

Archie 6/1/47

Everyone in Riverdale is constantly at the verge of killing themselves.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Rakugo footnote: She’s telling a story called “Chiritotechin,” the thrust of which is that a pompous rich idiot is tricked into eating tofu that’s gone off, being told it’s a delicacy called “chiritotechin,” and being a pompous rich idiot he pretends he loves it even though it tastes like poo poo.

Cthulhu and Girl

If you know your Lovecraft lore, you’ll see the twist-that-isn’t-a-twist coming up on the next page.

Bardiche Hotel

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Every day I think to myself "this is the dumbestbest Invisible Scarlet O'Neil strip".
Fixed.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

"Kill yourself."

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

Are those red things the shumai(?) are using something we'd be expected to recognize?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Murdstone posted:

Fixed.
The Phantom

"Kill yourself."

Bandar use poisoned arrows.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Zereth posted:

Are those red things the shumai(?) are using something we'd be expected to recognize?

Aside from "magic wands" I don't think so.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The #1 improvement Mark Trail could make is to spend 15 minutes a strip fixing the blatant rough draft sketches. Holy Hell those first two panels. :laffo:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Jesus, it's been two weeks of this poo poo.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Nov 18-19, 1951)

Old comics about how everybody is adopting this new fangled TV are super weird to me.

Also that's it for 1951. Next up: 1952

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 20-21, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

I would just tell the kid no at this point. You made a good faith effort, just buy the ones you hosed up.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Old comics about how everybody is adopting this new fangled TV are super weird to me.

On that same note: During covid, I watched the original 39 episodes of The Honeymooners, and one of the plots involved the Kramdens finally getting a phone installed in their apartment. They were pretty poor but you'd think home phones would have been pretty standard by 1955 or so.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

On that same note: During covid, I watched the original 39 episodes of The Honeymooners, and one of the plots involved the Kramdens finally getting a phone installed in their apartment. They were pretty poor but you'd think home phones would have been pretty standard by 1955 or so.

Homes, maybe. Apartments - not so much, especially in the housing crunch that followed the end of WWII, when landlords were in tall cotton...which did not encourage investment and innovation by landlords.

Interesting sidenote: The Kramden's apartment looks as grim as it does because the set builders were all children & young adults during the Depression and modelled it on the tenements & cold-water flats they grew up in.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ellie the beep posted:

wait so is it not a regular regular pun? i thought the radio was saying like, the way youre supposed to get regular exercise, nothing about it being vanilla per se
Sorry, it's totally a regular pun, I just noticed that "regular sex" read more as "vanilla sex" to me and wanted to clarify that that's not a read that'd happen in Finnish.

Fingerpori

ANSU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

"...you're not gonna like what I have to tell you about your travel car."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I have returned from the wilderness. Fortunately I was not eaten by a bear. Catch-up post incoming!

Bizarro

The Family Circus

I like Barfy's expression.

Slylock Fox

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

BUGSHITS

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

I like Barfy's expression.

He gave the baby a bat.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Man, how bad is your life if Bernice is your light?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

As someone who works tech support, you have no idea how often I want to tell users this.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

drat, hardcore

Presto posted:

Man, how bad is your life if Bernice is your light?

Bernice, light of my life, fire of my loins...

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 17, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

That last panel is one of my favorite Bad Machinery panels.

Also, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil has that same "where the hell are we going with this?" energy that Deathless Deer had before it kind of flopped away, and I love it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

And also know where to sever main arteries.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "29 - Jucika and Garbage in The Street"

"elmegyógyintézet = asylum/mental hospital" We really live in a society!

"30 - Jucika and the First Grader"

I still don't quite get this one. :shobon: I guess Jucika is covering her modesty while that boy whizzes on the street.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 26, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 23, 1976)

The throwaway panel has its own charm today.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

(Second chance backups over here)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

No Rhymes at Arcamax or CK today.

Get Fuzzy 5/20/03

Brenda Starr 1/7/51

For those who have forgotten the original story or weren't reading (IIRC, it ran back in 1947ish?), Pierre Palette, the Flash's handsome staff artist, was sick of women swooning and gushing over him while he was just trying to draw. So he recruited Hank, who does not swoon or gush over anything, to pose as his girlfriend and keep other women out of his hair. In the process, they realized they liked each other and got married. And now you're all caught up.

Smokey Stover 10/10/54

Everyday Movies 6/6/36

"She sez here she'll send him some money in a few days so I better let him keep the room until she writes again."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/6/41

Spoilered for the usual reason Scarlet is spoilered.

I wonder if that confession is going to hold up in court... but then, if Spider-Man can just leave crooks webbed to a lamppost with a note, we can give Scarlet this one.

Bonus Ad! I was curious about this so I looked it up, and apparently the "Milium" lining was satin over aluminum foil, so you could duplicate the experience of feeling like a baked potato.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Every day I think to myself "this is the dumbest Invisible Scarlet O'Neil strip".

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (May 23, 1976)

Hey, I saw this one in that french cartoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZbE0iohrsg

I think the Lucy/Schroeder dynamic is my favorite recurring gag in Peanuts. Most writers would make it some tsundere bullshit where Schroeder slowly realizes he likes her over time, but since this is Schulz Lucy's affections are truly one-side to the point of Schroeder being kind of ruthless in shutting her down. Plus it's really fun to watch a character that normally dominates the rest of the cast with the force of their personality run head first into an emotional brick wall.

Also I like to read Schroeder as autistic and/or gay which makes his whole schtick very relatable.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 21, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Why are you still there you hateful old biddy?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (March 3-5, 1921)

Someday Tomboy Taylor and The Powerful Katrinka are going to team up Master-Blaster style, and Toonerville will tremble in their wake

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

Also, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil has that same "where the hell are we going with this?" energy that Deathless Deer had before it kind of flopped away, and I love it.

Deathless Deer always felt like it was teetering on the edge between being stupid and still being stupid, but being fun stupid. Weirdly consistently feeling like if I just read for a few more days it's juuuuuuust about to get good.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil made that jump early on and I applaud her for it.

Junk Drawer

Been there