Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Finger Prince posted:

What kind of tires that aren't F1 slicks can even handle that kind of abuse?

I'm still watching the video that was linked but they said they used 2 tyres for all the records, pilot sport 4s (I think that's what he said) as their standard and cup 2 r as an optional high performance option. Not sure if that's claiming they managed those records on the standard tyres or not. Pretty nuts either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Hey question. I have a 3 year lease on a Kia EV ending in August. The buyout is about $20k and I see these (year and miles) selling for $30k. How do I best manage this?

Keep the car?
Trade it in at the dealership and try to drive a good deal?
Buy it and trade it in at a different dealership?

It’s pretty much flawless although I did get hit by a red-light runner. Insurance went to a dealer approved shop and laid out $10k to fix it. That could affect resale.

One reason the buyout is low is that when I got it, I was commuting from San Diego to LA once a week. So I leased at 15k miles a year. But it only has 30k miles since that ended. Kia warranty is very good. I believe 7 years and 100k miles on the battery.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

VideoGameVet posted:

Hey question. I have a 3 year lease on a Kia EV ending in August. The buyout is about $20k and I see these (year and miles) selling for $30k. How do I best manage this?

Keep the car?

It’s pretty much flawless although I did get hit by a red-light runner. Insurance went to a dealer approved shop and laid out $10k to fix it. That could affect resale.

One reason the buyout is low is that when I got it, I was commuting from San Diego to LA once a week. So I leased at 15k miles a year. But it only has 30k miles since that ended. Kia warranty is very good. I believe 7 years and 100k miles on the battery.

If retail is ~$30k then ~$25k would probably be a reasonable trade value if it had a clean car fax. Since it has an accident you’re probably looking at getting $22-$20k for it.

But see what you can get just don’t expect to have $10k in equity from it.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

Keep the car?

Do you still like the car? Want to keep driving it? Is there another car you find more appealing?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Well, gently caress me.

This morning I took my first (short) road trip in the new Ioniq 6 to visit my mom about two hours away, mostly Interstate.

About 100 miles into the trip, the car went into "Low Power" mode and cut almost all power to the accelerator. I took a nearby exit and looked up the error, and it said it's caused by low battery power (it was at 72%) or high temperature in the motor. poo poo.

I sat in a parking lot a few minutes, and the error went away. I got back on the highway, and ten minutes later it happened again. This time I had to pull the car to the shoulder and turn it off.

Twenty minutes later I decided to try to limp to the nearest dealership, rather than dealing with a 30-mile tow, because I had my very anxious dog with me. I kept it to 55mph (sorry, fellow drivers) and coasted as much as possible and made it to the Hyundai dealer in my mom's city.

To Hyundai's credit, they're handling everything and got me a free rental. But I'm pretty bummed that there seems to be a fairly serious issue with my Ioniq 6. It has under 600 miles on it. And I have no idea when I'll get it back.

TLDR: new car poo poo the bed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat that sucks. poo poo happens even with good cars sometimes and hopefully it's not an endemic fault with the model and easily fixable! Keep us posted.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

Well, gently caress me.

This morning I took my first (short) road trip in the new Ioniq 6 to visit my mom about two hours away, mostly Interstate.

About 100 miles into the trip, the car went into "Low Power" mode and cut almost all power to the accelerator. I took a nearby exit and looked up the error, and it said it's caused by low battery power (it was at 72%) or high temperature in the motor. poo poo.

I sat in a parking lot a few minutes, and the error went away. I got back on the highway, and ten minutes later it happened again. This time I had to pull the car to the shoulder and turn it off.

Twenty minutes later I decided to try to limp to the nearest dealership, rather than dealing with a 30-mile tow, because I had my very anxious dog with me. I kept it to 55mph (sorry, fellow drivers) and coasted as much as possible and made it to the Hyundai dealer in my mom's city.

To Hyundai's credit, they're handling everything and got me a free rental. But I'm pretty bummed that there seems to be a fairly serious issue with my Ioniq 6. It has under 600 miles on it. And I have no idea when I'll get it back.

TLDR: new car poo poo the bed.

Hopefully it was something like a defective temp sensor and not an actual high temperature / potential fault event. Though, for a temperature sensor, if it's something like a thermistor, that's usually a fail open/short condition which (generally) triggers an implausible value DTC since the ADC conversation for that is some unrealistic cold/hot temperature.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

movax posted:

Hopefully it was something like a defective temp sensor

This gave me flashbacks to owning a VW Vanagon.

I hope this is all that's wrong, WhiteHowler. Sucks having to go 55MPH on the interstate in a shiny new EV.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My hope is it's just a faulty temperature or voltage sensor. The manual says "if the Low Power warning displays without the service engine light, this is not a failure".

Which... I'd say losing power on the interstate fits my definition of failure. But there was no engine light, and no fault codes logged. So maybe just a sensor and not the motor or battery melting.

I'm disappointed, but the car is still in "bathtub curve" territory, so I'm not panicking (yet).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We talking scorching hot desert or normalish temperatures?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

QuarkJets posted:

We talking scorching hot desert or normalish temperatures?

Overcast day in Alabama. High of about 74, very humid. Definitely should not overheat a new car at highway speeds.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

borkencode posted:

Do you still like the car? Want to keep driving it? Is there another car you find more appealing?

I’d actually like to get a 2023 eSprinter

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

kill me now posted:

If retail is ~$30k then ~$25k would probably be a reasonable trade value if it had a clean car fax. Since it has an accident you’re probably looking at getting $22-$20k for it.

But see what you can get just don’t expect to have $10k in equity from it.

I have some concern that if I just turn it in, they will hit me with a fee because of the accident.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

I’d actually like to get a 2023 eSprinter
So does Amazon, UPS, FedEx and every van life influencer on social media. Hope you like paying double of MSRP

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

VideoGameVet posted:

I have some concern that if I just turn it in, they will hit me with a fee because of the accident.

There should not be any fee if the vehicle was properly repaired. The only lease end costs you could have would be the disposition fee, for any dents or scratches on the car, scraped wheels, cracked or chipped windshield, low tire tread depth or brake depth.

As long as the car is physically straight and you are under mileage you should just be paying your dispo fee.

The bank builds in profit expecting that a certain percentage of leases they take back in will have a bad car fax. It’s a cost of doing business and is why leases have thing like acquisition and disposition fees.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

movax posted:

Hopefully it was something like a defective temp sensor and not an actual high temperature / potential fault event. Though, for a temperature sensor, if it's something like a thermistor, that's usually a fail open/short condition which (generally) triggers an implausible value DTC since the ADC conversation for that is some unrealistic cold/hot temperature.

They can fail in a mode that makes them read actual temperature +X degrees, but it usually means they're on their way to open/short failure mode.

With everything WhiteHowler said I'd bet on bad motor, it's something that happens occasionally, glad the dealer's doing the right thing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My only worry with a bad motor is that I'm 120 miles from home, and if there's a major repair, I'm kind of stuck here until it's done. I could take the rental back home, but that's a lot of extra driving.

The dealer has been great so far though, and I can see they've at least moved the car a few times and taken it for a short drive on the highway (BlueLink is both cool and creepy). Hopefully they have some news in the morning.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nitrox posted:

So does Amazon, UPS, FedEx and every van life influencer on social media. Hope you like paying double of MSRP

It will put my negotiating skills to the test :-)

If the eTransit had more battery I’d consider it. Local dealer had some at list price.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Elviscat posted:

They can fail in a mode that makes them read actual temperature +X degrees, but it usually means they're on their way to open/short failure mode.

With everything WhiteHowler said I'd bet on bad motor, it's something that happens occasionally, glad the dealer's doing the right thing.

True -- my CTS on my A4 failed in such a way that it always read ~90 C, so my engine would not crank / start every time as the ECU adjusted lambda believing the engine / cat / etc were all toasty. There was no fault logic / DTC for "this value is clearly implausible because the engine has been off for X", but that's also a fairly (by automotive standards) expensive / unlikely fault to spend time on. Though I guess with always-on / connected telematics now, you have that knowledge "for free" re: how long the thing has been sitting.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Went to buy a mini-fridge for Cruft Jr yesterday. It didn't fit into the Model 3 so we had to return it.

Today I took the Bolt down, bought the same fridge, fit no problem.

In this moment, I was enlightened about why hatchbacks are popular in Europe.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Honda Fit EV when.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Russian Bear posted:

Honda FitElement EV when.

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

Honda Fit EV when.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

It will put my negotiating skills to the test :-)

If the eTransit had more battery I’d consider it. Local dealer had some at list price.

eTransit is sold two years in advance, anything ford can produce has already been spoken for. They opened and closed a signed up sheet with a limited number of vehicles at the beginning of the year. The only thing your local dealer could possibly have, is a very overpriced refused delivery vehicle. Or you know, lie about their actual inventory

Edit: I do see some used ones on AutoTrader, some have less than a thousand miles on them. They are priced around the MSRP of a brand new van. I guess some businesses weren't ready for 100 mi of range or whatever the issue was.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 21, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cruft posted:

Went to buy a mini-fridge for Cruft Jr yesterday. It didn't fit into the Model 3 so we had to return it.

Today I took the Bolt down, bought the same fridge, fit no problem.

In this moment, I was enlightened about why hatchbacks are popular in Europe.

That's a benefits of the Leaf/Bolt, you can cram a really amazing amount of stuff in their rear ends, I have a truck for most of that kind of stuff, but sometimes it's really pleasurable to fit a big old piece of wood (or w/e) in a tight little hatchback.

movax posted:

True -- my CTS on my A4 failed in such a way that it always read ~90 C, so my engine would not crank / start every time as the ECU adjusted lambda believing the engine / cat / etc were all toasty. There was no fault logic / DTC for "this value is clearly implausible because the engine has been off for X", but that's also a fairly (by automotive standards) expensive / unlikely fault to spend time on. Though I guess with always-on / connected telematics now, you have that knowledge "for free" re: how long the thing has been sitting.

That reminds me of the Aprilia divide-by-0 ECU programming issue (would not start at 0C, because it broke programing.

I've worked a lot with critical systems in nuclear and aerospace, and you always have multiple redundant sensors because electronic sensors are relatively failure prone, even $50k+ sensors. It's not so big a deal on a car where it just stops working and you can get it towed somewhere.

Boeing is an exception here, btw.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elviscat posted:

That's a benefits of the Leaf/Bolt, you can cram a really amazing amount of stuff in their rear ends

:chanpop:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's true! I've fit 65" in my hatch, and it made sitting a little uncomfortable for awhile, but it was worth it! .

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Elviscat posted:

That's a benefits of the Leaf/Bolt, you can cram a really amazing amount of stuff in their rear ends, I have a truck for most of that kind of stuff, but sometimes it's really pleasurable to fit a big old piece of wood (or w/e) in a tight little hatchback.

Elviscat posted:

It's true! I've fit 65" in my hatch, and it made sitting a little uncomfortable for awhile, but it was worth it! .

What? No! We are talking about electric vehicles, honestly!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

WB CAT INTERCEPTOR

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I like big hatches and I cannot lie

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nitrox posted:

eTransit is sold two years in advance, anything ford can produce has already been spoken for. They opened and closed a signed up sheet with a limited number of vehicles at the beginning of the year. The only thing your local dealer could possibly have, is a very overpriced refused delivery vehicle. Or you know, lie about their actual inventory

Edit: I do see some used ones on AutoTrader, some have less than a thousand miles on them. They are priced around the MSRP of a brand new van. I guess some businesses weren't ready for 100 mi of range or whatever the issue was.

This is a high volume dealership with a large number of Lightnings on lot and they have eTransits as well (a few)

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Went to buy a Kia EV6 GT yesterday and got a taste of the Kia dealer experience. Agreed on $54,500 + tax/title/etc via Kia financing during the week so I took the fam out 2.5 hours to ParkSide Kia in Knoxville to do the paperwork and drive back. Got there and saw what looked like my car in a side lot covered in dirt and mud but saw it had a preowned sticker so I relaxed a little. Went and set up the test drive while they 'got my car out of detailing' and lo and behold, it's the abused shitbox and it has 2800 miles on it.

It also had:
- dirt all over the rear seat area. Looked like a kid and muddy dog played back there.
- trash all over the car. Apparently the GM is using it as his personal dumpster
- GoPro mount on the dash
- absolutely shredded tires. It looked like a tire set after a trackday, just bizarre wear patterns.
- Both right tires and wheels were destroyed. Literally metal and rubber chunks gone. Both had about 1"x2" areas missing about 1/2" deep chunks of rubber. Vibrated at highway speeds too.

Then time for talking numbers. Best they would do was $59,500. Said the number they gave me reflected the full EV rebate, then that is was because of condition, then because it was a different trim, then that they did the numbers wrong, then that they never said I never got that email. Text from said email:

"Let me go ahead to answer your question regarding the EV6 GT model you inquired about. I have great news, if you finance with KIA I actually can sell you this vehicle for 54,500 plus tags, title, taxes and fees. This special price is exclusive to financing with KIA. "

Showed them the email and asked why the car was preowned and they basically said I could pay $59,500 or maybe they wouldn't replace the wheels/tires and would cut me another $500.

Worst dealer ever and I sent Kia corporate a complaint with pictures of the original ad, email, and CPO sticker with VIN etc because seriously what a bunch of loving losers. Wasted 7 hours of a prime Saturday and about $100 in gas.

Now I get to try this again, just sell me a loving car you clowns.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

- Got offered one thing, then told something else when you arrived
- Car is way worse than advertised
- Literally being told "this is the best we can do" while being charged an obvious, obscene markup
- Literally takes all god drat day

I'm sorry this happened, it's pretty much what I expect from a standard dealership experience though. Have you considered buying a Polestar?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Per interior discussion from a bit back, the inside of the Ioniq 5 is TARDIS-huge. Utterly cavernous. I'm 5'10", and it felt like there were several feet between my head and the ceiling and my legs and the passenger seat

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

Went to buy a Kia EV6 GT yesterday and got a taste of the Kia dealer experience. Agreed on $54,500 + tax/title/etc via Kia financing during the week so I took the fam out 2.5 hours to ParkSide Kia in Knoxville to do the paperwork and drive back. Got there and saw what looked like my car in a side lot covered in dirt and mud but saw it had a preowned sticker so I relaxed a little. Went and set up the test drive while they 'got my car out of detailing' and lo and behold, it's the abused shitbox and it has 2800 miles on it.

It also had:
- dirt all over the rear seat area. Looked like a kid and muddy dog played back there.
- trash all over the car. Apparently the GM is using it as his personal dumpster
- GoPro mount on the dash
- absolutely shredded tires. It looked like a tire set after a trackday, just bizarre wear patterns.
- Both right tires and wheels were destroyed. Literally metal and rubber chunks gone. Both had about 1"x2" areas missing about 1/2" deep chunks of rubber. Vibrated at highway speeds too.

Then time for talking numbers. Best they would do was $59,500. Said the number they gave me reflected the full EV rebate, then that is was because of condition, then because it was a different trim, then that they did the numbers wrong, then that they never said I never got that email. Text from said email:

"Let me go ahead to answer your question regarding the EV6 GT model you inquired about. I have great news, if you finance with KIA I actually can sell you this vehicle for 54,500 plus tags, title, taxes and fees. This special price is exclusive to financing with KIA. "

Showed them the email and asked why the car was preowned and they basically said I could pay $59,500 or maybe they wouldn't replace the wheels/tires and would cut me another $500.

Worst dealer ever and I sent Kia corporate a complaint with pictures of the original ad, email, and CPO sticker with VIN etc because seriously what a bunch of loving losers. Wasted 7 hours of a prime Saturday and about $100 in gas.

Now I get to try this again, just sell me a loving car you clowns.
Yea this is why I am reluctant to recommend an EV6 / Ioniq to anyone.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Did you burst out laughing in their ludicrous faces? Like full body convulsing laugh before walking out?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That’s horrible and I woulda been out of there too. I’m happy the kia and hyundai dealers near me are (so far) quite decent in all my dealings. But something like that I would never be back.

Anyone bought a volvo online? It’s not quite as seamless as Tesla I’ve heard, but still less prone to this kind of bullshit. Just a shame the EX90 got pushed back. Trying to keep myself from getting too interested in the V60 Recharge but drat I do love volvo wagons.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

What are the options for buying a new car in the united states, without having to go through a dealer? Seems like it's Tesla, Polestar, Rivian, maybe Volvo? Anyone else?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GM should bring back Saturn, make it all EVs, and online ordering only with a model similar to Tesla :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cruft posted:

What are the options for buying a new car in the united states, without having to go through a dealer? Seems like it's Tesla, Polestar, Rivian, maybe Volvo? Anyone else?
You could do any of the Carvana/Shift online sales ones but gently caress if they arent consistently 3 months late with titles and poo poo.