Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lobster shirt posted:

they were really bad

They?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it was multiple posts made from like 2008 to 2011 that were by turns extremely racist, misogynist, and/or violent. astoundingly terrible to read to the extent that i wish i hadn't lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

it was multiple posts made from like 2008 to 2011 that were by turns extremely racist, misogynist, and/or violent. astoundingly terrible to read to the extent that i wish i hadn't lol.

The first post in that thread was incredibly unhinged so none of that is surprising.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

lobster shirt posted:

Yeah same. Horrible stuff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lobster shirt posted:

No I meant what was the freako's old account name?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No I meant what was the freako's old account name?

oh i have no idea actually, i guess an admin could answer but the username wasnt shared on the mod forum

e: oh i see what you mean, when i said "they were really bad" i meant the posts but looking at the thing i replied to it was about accounts. my impression is that it was all from the same account but no idea.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
:kstare:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Please believe me when I say this is one case where you will be happier that I did not link the old posts.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll take your word for it

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Guy was REALLY into Wildstar...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol wildstars devs kept making impossible to beat bosses and when a guild finally beat the boss after multiple nerfs they insulted the playerbase over it. based

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I wanna see the posts. I’m a hosed up monster let’s go

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol wildstars devs kept making impossible to beat bosses and when a guild finally beat the boss after multiple nerfs they insulted the playerbase over it. based

They literally applied a live serverhotfix pre nerf to one of the bosses to prevent one of the top raider taems from clearing it too since they were doing it the "wrong" way.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They literally applied a live serverhotfix pre nerf to one of the bosses to prevent one of the top raider taems from clearing it too since they were doing it the "wrong" way.

Lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
wildstar was an amazing mmo thread to see play out because it billed itself as 'classic WoW' style for real capital G gamers and the turned out to be run by people who had no loving clue how to manage an mmo and just kept loving things up harder and harder until it went f2p in slightly over a year.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

vyelkin posted:

Please believe me when I say this is one case where you will be happier that I did not link the old posts.

Oh, I believe you.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

lmao

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

pentyne posted:

wildstar was an amazing mmo thread to see play out because it billed itself as 'classic WoW' style for real capital G gamers and the turned out to be run by people who had no loving clue how to manage an mmo and just kept loving things up harder and harder until it went f2p in slightly over a year.

Which is extremely funny because classic WoW was not in any way super hardcore in the way those dweebs pretended it was anyways.

Wildstar was just an endless cascade of meaningless buzzwords with a neat playable weird gremlin race and extremely good player housing for some reason

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

pentyne posted:

this is an entire genre of failed mmos

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
someone posted the guide to get into the end game raids in wildstar and it was like 30 steps of quests and grinding lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

Which is extremely funny because classic WoW was not in any way super hardcore in the way those dweebs pretended it was anyways.

I tried out World of Warcraft when it was 'vanilla' I guess, and I'd say it was slightly more pedestrian than using Excel at work.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

someone posted the guide to get into the end game raids in wildstar and it was like 30 steps of quests and grinding lol

Bonus lol: there was a bug that would happen that would lock people out at the very last step of all this, and the dev response was "tough poo poo, you gotta reroll" which is just. bonkers on its own.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Dunno whether it's me paying more attention to the LC now or if it's just SA cracking down/catching up on psycho posters now but it's been good to see so many truly lovely posters getting banned these past couple of weeks. Keep up the good work y'all keeping the heinous poo poo out.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it was with this specifically

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Bonus lol: there was a bug that would happen that would lock people out at the very last step of all this, and the dev response was "tough poo poo, you gotta reroll" which is just. bonkers on its own.

lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really wanted to like Wildstar, but when I got into the first dungeon and couldn't get past the first trash pack with rando people because you had to coordinate 3 interrupt moves perfectly or you died, I knew that this game would never survive lol.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ibram Gaunt posted:

:kstare:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Please for the love of god never ban anything AI related.

Its a pretty good honey pot.

it rules how many lovely goobers want to gently caress their racist computers

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fajita Queen posted:

Wildstar was just an endless cascade of meaningless buzzwords with a neat playable weird gremlin race and extremely good player housing for some reason
classic wow raiding was pretty hardcore. ahn'qiraj and naxxramas were insane bullshit raids where one wrong move by any of the 40 people there wiped the whole raid and resulted in a like 30 minute runback and setup again. I feel like there was a brief point where C'thun was literally unbeatable until they patched him to be easier because people could not damage him enough before the enrage timer hit? or something like that?

though, I will admit, I did have one of my favorite WoW moments when I, as a rogue, managed to salvage a failed twin prince raid boss fight in ahn'qiraj. I dodgetanked one of them and kited him back to the corner when everyone was ready to just wipe and start over, and we managed to finish the fight for our first prince kill. that felt pretty good. exploring ahn'qiraj was pretty cool as a gigantic egyptian bug fortress but everything had a million health and it was surprisingly easy to aggro stuff through walls so you'd sometimes suddenly have a swarm of bullshit appear out of nowhere and slaughter everyone

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

was that a bad thing or a good thing?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

classic wow raiding was pretty hardcore. ahn'qiraj and naxxramas were insane bullshit raids where one wrong move by any of the 40 people there wiped the whole raid and resulted in a like 30 minute runback and setup again. I feel like there was a brief point where C'thun was literally unbeatable until they patched him to be easier because people could not damage him enough before the enrage timer hit? or something like that?

it wasn't until someone in elitist jerks (i think?) mathematically proved c'thun was impossible to kill as-is that blizzard nerfed it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NoiseAnnoys posted:

was that a bad thing or a good thing?
the aggro through walls thing? it was certain death for everyone, but it WAS pretty funny when you'd hear someone on teamspeak say "uh, guys, I just got instagibbed out of nowhere through a wall" or "...why did my raid combat bar just activate?" and then a conga line of giant bug-people waltzed into the room and murdered everyone while we were buffing for a boss and everyone was facing away from where they were coming from

what would sometimes happen is someone would, say, aggro a mob at the very entrance of the instance right as they accepted a teleport to where everyone else was, and that mob would then follow a path through the entire rest of the instance to get to them, bringing every single other group of mobs they encountered along the way in a giant train of death that would arrive about 10 minutes later. the drama was incredible, just the angriest nerds screaming in fury because they usually couldn't tell who was the culprit, because SOMEONE has to take the blame

UHD posted:

it wasn't until someone in elitist jerks (i think?) mathematically proved c'thun was impossible to kill as-is that blizzard nerfed it
THAT'S the one, elitist jerks. or elitist geniuses, though I think that's an esports team.

hilarious, though, blizzard minmaxing it so hard that it became actually impossible to beat because they didn't want to build up this huge event only for the hardcore raid grinders to finish it 24 hours into the patch

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 20, 2023

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Lol that sounds wild and hilarious

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
making bosses impossible to beat to slow down the players and hide that content isnt finished is a common thing mmo's do and its funny every time

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

making bosses impossible to beat to slow down the players and hide that content isnt finished is a common thing mmo's do and its funny every time

C'thun was the final boss of that raid tier though, there was literally nothing after C'thun to finish.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

UHD posted:

it was with this specifically

lol

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

vyelkin posted:

Morbid curiosity can often get the better of people in situations like this. It's a lesson that took me years to learn. I always thought, "pah, they are being dramatic, can't be as bad as all that!" Unfortunately it can be, often sometimes worse.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i remember wildstar first got big early in ffxivs lifespan (somewhere around 2.2/2.3 iirc) so people would advertise for it in pf saying poo poo like "come play a REAL mmo!!!! none of this baby poo poo!!!!!!" which 1) lmfao and 2) those guys would get put in gm jail gaol for a little bit for advertising for a direct competitor and always get really mad about it lol. what was the endgame for that plan?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

final fantasy xi had a bunch of silly poo poo like that, world-bosses that took half a day to kill and the developers patching bosses to make them harder because the leading raid group killed them the wrong way and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

final fantasy xi had a bunch of silly poo poo like that, world-bosses that took half a day to kill and the developers patching bosses to make them harder because the leading raid group killed them the wrong way and such

yeah ffxi was next-level with the unkillable bosses. they didn't just patch the bosses, they banned the raid groups that found unintended ways to kill them for "exploiting"