Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

making bosses impossible to beat to slow down the players and hide that content isnt finished is a common thing mmo's do and its funny every time

Destiny 1 seemed to try that a few times but didn’t consider how loving obsessed the player base was.

That game was my post-UO MMO relapse and I’m so happy it wasn’t Destiny 2 because I might not’ve gotten outta that train. Still hear folks I was playing with 6+ years ago “come back it’s fun now”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Was it FFXI that had a boss that took literally 12 hours to kill when it was first released? I can't tell if I'm exaggerating or low-balling that number, but there was definitely an MMO that had a technically beatable boss on that time scale.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Was it FFXI that had a boss that took literally 12 hours to kill when it was first released? I can't tell if I'm exaggerating or low-balling that number, but there was definitely an MMO that had a technically beatable boss on that time scale.

ff11 had a boss (Absolute Virtue) no one knew how to beat legitimately so would cheese in it various ways and sony would stop it. The trick was using your hour cds at specific times to make it weaker, but since no one knew and it wasn't even hinted at anywhere, it was just zerged down for days at a time.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Absolute_Virtue

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

final fantasy xi had a bunch of silly poo poo like that, world-bosses that took half a day to kill and the developers patching bosses to make them harder because the leading raid group killed them the wrong way and such

The FF mmo's have been insane because at launch they are insanely bad to the point they should've been rightly shut down but Square cannot afford to have a major failure for the brand.

There's a insane player base that occasionally mentions the idea of getting a FFXIV 1.0 server and the game director has said "lol gently caress no"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
absolute virtue was the one that was near unbeatable and every time it was beaten SE banned the players who beat it and redesigned the boss to make it harder. pandemonium warden was the one that couldn’t be beaten in an 18-hour session or something, though iirc it was meant to be more of an insurmountable “you hosed up” obstacle than a typical boss

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
no warden was meant to be killable (its loot pool is entirely unique for one). the thing with warden and virtue is they were meant to be the absolute top end of content for only the strongest players to fight. the issues were 1) they were tuned way way way too strong. warden was infamous for an 18 hour continuous pull that ended in failure since many players started getting sick, and i dont remember any numbers for virtue offhand but my brain is telling me it was even worse. 2) anytime people figured something out for virtue they got banned for it lol. this combo got square-enix so much bad press they eventually added a loading screen message saying "dont make your health worse for a videogame dumbass lol" and forcing the 2 bosses to despawn after 2 hours (with paired nerfs to make it possible to kill them in that time).

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

FF eleven was the only MMO I've ever played.
Installed, signed up, played 10 minutes and realised I needed a side numeric keypad, which was absent on my laptop. Uninstalled, cancelled subscription, and sat in buyer's remorse all within a couple hours.

One month later, Squeenix charged me for another month. They're the only time I've had to do a chargeback.

Never touched a mmo again

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Absolute virtue would cast a renamed copy of each job's 2 hour CD ability, and you had to have someone cast the matching version to lock it out in a pretty tight timeframe. Given this was the early 2000s internet speeds and there was both cast and animation times on spells that was not easy to put two and two together. One of the spells he casts is Benediction which will heal his entire healthbar, and unlike all the other job abilities which are cast in order he just whips it out randomly.

People still found ways to kill it. You could burn him down before he decides to cast it which they said was an exploit and patched it, they also broke his pathfinding AI by hiding behind rocks which they also patched and banned them for.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also the servers were all in JP so if you're in NA or EU you'd have 300 ping.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Hit level 96 in path of exile. Can’t stop. Won’t stop.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Wildstar seemed like a great fun pve/exploration MMO and I got into it but my computer was a real piece of poo poo at the time so I ended up not playing it for very long. Guess I dodged a bullet there.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

MMORPG players are demented.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
You'd read updates from people trying to beat these guys like pioneers writing home.

Day 21: Progress is slow. We've gotten him to 54% but lost Jimmy to dysentery.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I actually don't think anyone got banned for beating Virtue but everyone who did was threatened with a ban if they beat it the same way again for like three years until the devs actually bothered to reveal how the gently caress you were supposed to kill it

Warden I think did actually have some bans to its name

FF11 is a fascinating look into "hardcore" MMO player brainspace (and it shouldn't surprise you that it's pretty much all misery)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Psycho Landlord posted:

I actually don't think anyone got banned for beating Virtue but everyone who did was threatened with a ban if they beat it the same way again for like three years until the devs actually bothered to reveal how the gently caress you were supposed to kill it

Warden I think did actually have some bans to its name

FF11 is a fascinating look into "hardcore" MMO player brainspace (and it shouldn't surprise you that it's pretty much all misery)

Why didn't they just add an NPC that gave hints? Everyone involved in MMOs seems to deserve each other

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Vim Fuego posted:

Why didn't they just add an NPC that gave hints? Everyone involved in MMOs seems to deserve each other

because again this was meant to be the hardest fight in the game at the time. if they gave you hints its not very hard lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Destiny 1 seemed to try that a few times but didn’t consider how loving obsessed the player base was.

That game was my post-UO MMO relapse and I’m so happy it wasn’t Destiny 2 because I might not’ve gotten outta that train. Still hear folks I was playing with 6+ years ago “come back it’s fun now”

destiny 1 sucked rear end because every time players had fun the wrong way, devs patched that poo poo out within like minutes. vault of glass had a boss called the paladin that you could bully off of a cliff instead of fighting him for like 20 minute sor however stupid long it took and they added invisible bumper rails to the arena so you couldnt do that any more because players were violating their precious ~vision~ for the experience of w/e. felt incredibly antagonistic lol

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

copy posted:

destiny 1 sucked rear end because every time players had fun the wrong way, devs patched that poo poo out within like minutes. vault of glass had a boss called the paladin that you could bully off of a cliff instead of fighting him for like 20 minute sor however stupid long it took and they added invisible bumper rails to the arena so you couldnt do that any more because players were violating their precious ~vision~ for the experience of w/e. felt incredibly antagonistic lol

They brought him back in destiny 2 and removed the invisible walls and then got salty when people trained him off the edges again

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

copy posted:

Breaking their vision by doing poo poo like soloing crota and owning in pvp with dual wield snipers was the only thing that kept me going.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

making bosses impossible to beat to slow down the players and hide that content isnt finished is a common thing mmo's do and its funny every time
which game was it that had the big white angelic raid boss that took an insane amount of time to beat and I think necessitated rotating shifts of players

I swear this was a thing. I don't know if it was everquest or a later mmo, I just remember hearing a tale of a raid boss that took like an actual day to kill.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

which game was it that had the big white angelic raid boss that took an insane amount of time to beat and I think necessitated rotating shifts of players

I swear this was a thing. I don't know if it was everquest or a later mmo, I just remember hearing a tale of a raid boss that took like an actual day to kill.

that was absolute virtue in ffxi

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
everquest had an unkillable boss that only spawned once ever per server and when players almost killed him on the final server he hadnt spwned on the server went down

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
Also ffxi fights were extremely simple and you spent most of the time just staring at the screen waiting for the 1 or 2 buttons you need to press, so if you told the players what to do it'd be cleared in like a week and they wanted these things to last months.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

everquest had an unkillable boss that only spawned once ever per server and when players almost killed him on the final server he hadnt spwned on the server went down

We killed Lord British in UO and MMOs have all been downhill since.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

People always praise the player housing in Wildstar. How did that work?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

In SWG mayor was like, a profession. you and your guild would have a town and one of your members would have to dedicate like half their skills just to be the drat mayor. there was a contest put on by the devs that required a lot of work - i cant remember what you hadda do but your entire guild had to do a ton of stuff - and one winner was selected and given an X wing or TIE fighter to display in their town that no one else had, it was a big deal, put ur city on the map. then another guild moved into town overnight, made up over 51% of the population, voted out their mayor in favor of their puppet dictator and banned all original residents from the city. devs said there was nothing they could do lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

EverQuest in like 99-2000 had a high level enchanter spell that would throw anyome about 300 feet up into the air with no warning, if they were running it would have a ballistic arc to it
it would one shot any player characters who fell all the way back down unless they were monks with nothing in their inventory or had levitate

people would invite you to group in certain spots and pitch you somewhere you'd die from the fall and wouldn't be able to get to your corpse and get your stuff back - after 48hr it would decay and everything you had on you money and everything would be gone forever

on the pvp servers someone could hit you with it anywhere

it also made you lose full xp because the death was caused by the fall

they patched it to just deal damage

enchanters had another 10 minute long static AOE meant for... idk
that would create a separate giant orb of bright lights around every character and object you could interact with in a 30m radius and spam their chat window with an effect message when it refreshed every 10 seconds and would lag people out and crash their clients in crowded areas

it didn't tell you who casted it either, you had to see them do it, but enchanters could turn into random nearby static objects and not have cast animations

game was made to piss off everyone who played it

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

That DICK! posted:

In SWG mayor was like, a profession. you and your guild would have a town and one of your members would have to dedicate like half their skills just to be the drat mayor. there was a contest put on by the devs that required a lot of work - i cant remember what you hadda do but your entire guild had to do a ton of stuff - and one winner was selected and given an X wing or TIE fighter to display in their town that no one else had, it was a big deal, put ur city on the map. then another guild moved into town overnight, made up over 51% of the population, voted out their mayor in favor of their puppet dictator and banned all original residents from the city. devs said there was nothing they could do lol
in swg i sold various tiny flesh colored pieces of clothing that made your char look naked if you squinted, out of a vending machine on tatooine, made a killing

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

That DICK! posted:

lol

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

FirstnameLastname posted:

EverQuest in like 99-2000 had a high level enchanter spell that would throw anyome about 300 feet up into the air with no warning, if they were running it would have a ballistic arc to it
it would one shot any player characters who fell all the way back down unless they were monks with nothing in their inventory or had levitate

people would invite you to group in certain spots and pitch you somewhere you'd die from the fall and wouldn't be able to get to your corpse and get your stuff back - after 48hr it would decay and everything you had on you money and everything would be gone forever

on the pvp servers someone could hit you with it anywhere

it also made you lose full xp because the death was caused by the fall

they patched it to just deal damage

enchanters had another 10 minute long static AOE meant for... idk
that would create a separate giant orb of bright lights around every character and object you could interact with in a 30m radius and spam their chat window with an effect message when it refreshed every 10 seconds and would lag people out and crash their clients in crowded areas

it didn't tell you who casted it either, you had to see them do it, but enchanters could turn into random nearby static objects and not have cast animations

game was made to piss off everyone who played it

Don’t forget you could mez players on PvP servers. Basically an endless stun you could chain forever unless you interrupted it by dealing damage to the mesmerized player

You could even pair the abuse with a friendly shaman casting torpor on the target that would greatly boost their hp regen at the cost of slowing their move speed to a crawl. You could basically lock someone down forever and then kill them when you got bored

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
one thing i remember in SWG was that you could ban people from your town and it would prevent them from going into that area and even back then i thought this was a bad idea because a guild could exploit it and start banning people from the krayt dragon graveyard or other popular farming spots and that ended up being exactly what happened lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Frank Frank posted:

Don’t forget you could mez players on PvP servers. Basically an endless stun you could chain forever unless you interrupted it by dealing damage to the mesmerized player

You could even pair the abuse with a friendly shaman casting torpor on the target that would greatly boost their hp regen at the cost of slowing their move speed to a crawl. You could basically lock someone down forever and then kill them when you got bored

you could charm someone in a duel and make them attack the priest of discord or guards and get them instamurdered & lose xp as you cast gate and teleport away to another zone

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

one thing i remember in SWG was that you could ban people from your town and it would prevent them from going into that area and even back then i thought this was a bad idea because a guild could exploit it and start banning people from the krayt dragon graveyard or other popular farming spots and that ended up being exactly what happened lol

lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
What was that MMO where goons were making everybody puke constantly?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Age of wushu

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I watched a real cool retrospective on SWG a few months ago and I lol'd really hard in particular at how to protest the awful changes the devs were making people would damage their speeders and then spam summon + unsummon on it in towns, and since it was damaged when it would zone in, it would make a loud explosion noise complete with smoke cloud, so cities would be impossible to be in, and the admins would respond by teleporting players deep into space as a time out and some players got forgotten and lost there forever....

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That was the one where you could castrate people so they could become eunuchs, right?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'll never play an mmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Every post about Age of Wushu feels like it should be from some basic MUSH type text game or Ultima Online, just from how much niche poo poo it had, and the wild ways you could gently caress with other players. It being a full 3D game that's only just over a decade old makes it all crazier.