Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I liked the reference to a "small village". Also his looking suspiciously like George Reeves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gripweed posted:

man that is a risky move to get some paperwork done. You gotta get back there to pick up the kid before he gets loaded on a train to be sold off somewhere
They could have just told him to go back to the orphanage if that happened. He could have gotten it done.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The orphanage clearly honored the sacred tradition of dibs, and the Kents called it when dropping the kid off.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
EVS was on Tim Pool. Robo Toad's creator looks like he ate a nine course meal out of Bigfoot's rear end.

https://twitter.com/comicsgateLs/status/1639687156728840192?s=20

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

E the Shaggy posted:

EVS was on Tim Pool. Robo Toad's creator looks like he ate a nine course meal out of Bigfoot's rear end.

My man looks like if Charles Manson starred in The Santa Clause.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

E the Shaggy posted:

What the gently caress.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Ethan in the process of having a stroke in that picture?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Is Ethan in the process of having a stroke in that picture?

He's an insane narcissist and constantly does the Zoolander Blue Steel face in all pictures.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
EVS also apparently said you weren't allowed to draw sexy ladies on comic covers anymore in that interview, which is hilarious given Harley Quinn has an ongoing and Emma Frost is pretty prominent in the X-books along with dozens of other examples. Or beyond the the big 2, almost every single Dynamite book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Please no one tell him about Zenescope...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ethan bruh this book came out just last month

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

site posted:

ethan bruh this book came out just last month

I'm sorry, the sexy person laying on the ground all tied up with their legs spread is not a lady.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

I'm sorry, the sexy person laying on the ground all tied up with their legs spread is not a lady.

Adam Warren is still making new Empowered comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not sexy enough. I can only see one butt cheek and she's mostly clothed!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also Emma looks like she has a tiny bit of muscular definition so basically a man.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

When did EVS draw sexy ladies EVER? Why does he care? I mean, he doesn’t, he’s just saying that in hopes other chuds agree with him and give him dozens of dollars for sticker quarters. But STILL.

Doug Mahnke was the better artist of that era of DC and GL books anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah even if he wasn't a chud probably the nicest thing I'd say about EVS art is "workman like and functional." Like, I read the Apocalypse War thing with Geoff Johns JLA and it was decent, but it's nothing like say Esic Ribab on Secret Wars.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 29, 2023

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I just got back into comics and was surprised to learn that EVS has a non-chud brother who does indie comics?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Rental Sting posted:

I just got back into comics and was surprised to learn that EVS has a non-chud brother who does indie comics?

Yeah! His Youtube channel is a pro-watch, it has a lot of talks with other indie cartoonists: https://www.youtube.com/@noahvansciver5661

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Rental Sting posted:

Errr I've heard some rumblings about Noah not being so great. He clearly isn't the same level of poo poo as EVS.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
https://twitter.com/comicsbeat/status/1651691173315227650

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hmm, I guess that’s why I got a CamelCamelCamel email saying TMNT volume 5 dropped in price. Now I ordered it just in case they go out of print. (Too bad there’s like 15 volumes of that.)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

That's a shocker, didn't know they were having issues. They appeared to have done well for themselves in the last number of years. This has me wondering if the TF and Joe license getting yanked had more to due to Hasbro knowing about poo poo we didn't behind the scenes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Last Call posted:

That's a shocker, didn't know they were having issues. They appeared to have done well for themselves in the last number of years. This has me wondering if the TF and Joe license getting yanked had more to due to Hasbro knowing about poo poo we didn't behind the scenes.

Getting a big license pulled could have caused it. How much have Dark Horse been doing lately?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

Getting a big license pulled could have caused it. How much have Dark Horse been doing lately?

They've largely switched to original stuff, with a little bit of licensed IPs. I'm not sure who owns the original work - if it's creator-owned, Dark Horse-owned or some combination.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endless Mike posted:

They've largely switched to original stuff, with a little bit of licensed IPs. I'm not sure who owns the original work - if it's creator-owned, Dark Horse-owned or some combination.

Have they? Most of their sales comes from Avatar tie-ins and Berserk. Their other big sellers of 2022 were Minecraft and Critical Role books

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thetoughestbean posted:

Have they? Most of their sales comes from Avatar tie-ins and Berserk. Their other big sellers of 2022 were Minecraft and Critical Role books

I guess I was looking at individual titles rather than overall sales, which is certainly a better measure!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Hmm, I guess that’s why I got a CamelCamelCamel email saying TMNT volume 5 dropped in price. Now I ordered it just in case they go out of print. (Too bad there’s like 15 volumes of that.)

Ooof yeah, I got the first 5 hardcovers, no way can I get the rest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Jennifer_deG/status/1652075832612093958?t=SQfmHVxQbNgmruz-_rJrDQ&s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1658465083591106560

Whoops.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Eisners gave four nominations to a comic no one has ever read called Francis Rothbart: The Tale of a Fastidious Feral written by a white man about a magical little feral brown child. And now every single person who has ever interacted with the writer is coming forward with stories about what a lovely person he is.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 20, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
No you see it's a graphic opera.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

The Eisners gave four nominations to a comic no one has ever read called Francis Rothbart: The Tale of a Fastidious Feral written by a white man about a magical little feral brown child. And now every single person who has ever interacted with the writer is coming forward with stories about what a lovely person he is.

I saw this too! He apparently also hates comics

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That guy sounds like he sucks and the book probably sucks too, not defending either in the slightest but your annual-ish reminder of how the Eisners work:

Each year the people who run the San Diego Comicon select six people to be a judging committee, and publishers submit a slate of nominees. These are the six people who were the judges panel this year.

Now that the nominees are announced, literally thousands of people -- basically anyone who "works with comics", from creators/editors/publishers to comics retailers to educations/librarians/historians -- vote based on the list of the finalists.

You can look at both the winners and nominees for about twenty years' worth of nominees and winners on this site, which stopped being updated ages ago.

In short: because all it takes is one or two of these judges (who are newly selected every year) to stump for a book hard enough to get it onto the list of 5-7 nominees in a category, a lot of weird/forgotten/probably-bad nominees exist across the decades. This is balanced out by the much larger and more consistent body of actual voters, who admittedly usually go for the safe/boring option.

Given the outpouring of hate towards both this guy and his book, I'm guessing the odds of him winning anything are approaching zero. I don't think the judges generally discuss the selection process, any maybe one (or more) of the folks on the panel suck too, but the good news is they won't be on the panel next year.

And for a few months from now, the Harvey Awards work in the opposite way: thousands of people (basically the same pool as the Eisners, but from what I recall even less vetted) can nominate books, and the winners are chosen from the top vote getters by a select committee. This tends to lead to even wilder nominee slates (there were years where Gladstone, Valiant, and other companies basically stuffed the ballots, and in 2009 "NASCAR Heroes" got a raft of nominations somehow), but again, what this does in practice is give the panel five valid nominees to choose from rather than six.

Looking up those 2009 Harveys, there were TWO weird ballot stuffed things there:

1. "Buzzboy" by John Gallagher was nominated for Best Writer, Best Cartoonist, Best Letterer, Best Inker, Best Cover Artist, and Special Award for Humor.
2. NASCAR Heroes was nominated for Best Single Issue and Best New Talent

Come the day of the awards ceremony, those awards went to Grant Morrison, Al Jaffee, John Workman, James Jean, Al Jaffee, Y the Last Man, and Bryan Glass.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 21, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edge & Christian posted:

Each year the people who run the San Diego Comicon select six people to be a judging committee, and publishers submit a slate of nominees. These are the six people who were the judges panel this year.

Pretty white group of judges!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Edge & Christian posted:

And for a few months from now, the Harvey Awards work in the opposite way: thousands of people (basically the same pool as the Eisners, but from what I recall even less vetted) can nominate books, and the winners are chosen from the top vote getters by a select committee. This tends to lead to even wilder nominee slates (there were years where Gladstone, Valiant, and other companies basically stuffed the ballots, and in 2009 "NASCAR Heroes" got a raft of nominations somehow), but again, what this does in practice is give the panel five valid nominees to choose from rather than six.

Looking up those 2009 Harveys, there were TWO weird ballot stuffed things there:

1. "Buzzboy" by John Gallagher was nominated for Best Writer, Best Cartoonist, Best Letterer, Best Inker, Best Cover Artist, and Special Award for Humor.
2. NASCAR Heroes was nominated for Best Single Issue and Best New Talent

Come the day of the awards ceremony, those awards went to Grant Morrison, Al Jaffee, John Workman, James Jean, Al Jaffee, Y the Last Man, and Bryan Glass.

IIRC the Harveys changed their nomination process when they left Baltimore Comic Con in 2017, likely to prevent that from happening again.

Ringo Awards took over at Baltimore Comic Con, pretty much using the same process as Harvey pre-2017.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Thanks for reminding me that Al Jaffee's dead! :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

After The War posted:

Thanks for reminding me that Al Jaffee's dead! :smith:

At past age 100, and as we just saw he was still winning awards at almost 90. The man was a titan and we won't see his like again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Author sounds like a real piece of work (short thread)

https://twitter.com/kendrawcandraw/status/1659597093986615302?s=20

And that cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

It's the 'Mr.' that gets me.

Also:
https://twitter.com/kendrawcandraw/status/1659685281744711680