Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I seriously think I'm very good at climbing, like I know the almost vertical but very steep angle that you can run and slide down and run up again to regain stamina before clinging to the wall again, and I can judge the jump distance to grab a ledge and all that, and yet whenever I get to the top of a thing I end up face-palming because I could've just used loving ascend.

what's cool about BotW-style climbing is that it almost "canonizes" the way that people exploited terrain in early open world games, like WoW and Morrowind. you're constantly looking for seams and angels in the geometry that look right, almost like a puzzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Len posted:

that's because for some reason nintendo fans collect systems in a way that xbox/playstation people don't

What about Sega people?
I just collect pretty much everything, though I haven't had a real Atari 2600 since around 1990. I think my brother sold it and all the games for less than $50.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

That's because Nintendo has good games :smug:

It’s this

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

History Comes Inside! posted:

They’re made out of Nintendium, a rare and precious resource no other platform holder has been able to replicate

the ds phat hinges say otherwise

Inzombiac posted:

That's because Nintendo has good games :smug:

okay but why

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because that collection looks sick check out all those different gamecuben

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The GameCube is the best looking console prove me wrong

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Also people definitely collect variants of all the other consoles that ever had variants lol you can literally just GIS “*whatever consoles* collection” and see thousands of dollars of nerd money in action for anything that so much as got released in a slightly different shade of plastic.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hatty posted:

it's not a cube

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Len posted:

okay but why

I wanted the Panasonic Q so bad when I saw it in gaming magazines. For one Christmas my parents got me a modded Gamecube that had a case that could fit standard sized dvd discs it was sick.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

WarpDogs posted:

what's cool about BotW-style climbing is that it almost "canonizes" the way that people exploited terrain in early open world games, like WoW and Morrowind. you're constantly looking for seams and angels in the geometry that look right, almost like a puzzle

gently caress i hadnt really thought of it that way, but you're totally right. i used to do so much mountain climbing in vanilla wow, i even made it up to the ironforge airport before the way was patched out and this seriously reminds me of that. gently caress ToTK really is the GOAT

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

If it's like BotW it has the best durability of any shield by far, like 40 times an endgame's shield but it will eventually break. Just like, in the far far future.

Or blocking one hit from a silver Lynel lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

gently caress i hadnt really thought of it that way, but you're totally right. i used to do so much mountain climbing in vanilla wow, i even made it up to the ironforge airport before the way was patched out and this seriously reminds me of that. gently caress ToTK really is the GOAT

There's this hill on the barrens, well, plenty like it but this one needed you to get to the top of it for a quest a few times. Anytime in a game or in TotK when I'm running up a mountain taking advantage of the peak/seam. I think of doing it on the orange blobs of the barrens.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I may be the only person who played BotW before WoW.
The fancy gear people I see might have downed some stupid super hard raid boss, but I bet they ain't been to that one pond in the Wetlands. :smuggo:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone else find ascend to be super finicky?

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1660126048615559169?t=To4t-TXpMkCZTRTaveO2hg&s=19

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
In that clip what's happening is you can't ascend through things thinner than the circle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nep-Nep posted:

In that clip what's happening is you can't ascend through things thinner than the circle.

that explains some things. i kind of assumed it would just still let me go up since it's just a slight bump but at least i understand now

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Len posted:

okay but why

I hope the tiny controller actually works

Len posted:

that's because for some reason nintendo fans collect systems in a way that xbox/playstation people don't

There's no backwards compatibility

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
all nintendo games are backwards compatible with the nintendo personal computer system

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm getting an OLED switch and giving my S.O. my old switch. How does two people using the same Nintendo account work? Can I digitally buy tears of the kingdom once and load it onto both switches or is this risky?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Kwolok posted:

I'm getting an OLED switch and giving my S.O. my old switch. How does two people using the same Nintendo account work? Can I digitally buy tears of the kingdom once and load it onto both switches or is this risky?

It is more convoluted and less risky than youre thinking but basically afaik you simply would not be able to play at the same time.

Praise Be Unto Nintendo

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Ok so safe bet to just get her another account and buy the game twice, lame but we are definitely going to be playing at the same time

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

wizard2 posted:

Praise Be Unto Nintendo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hatty posted:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kwolok posted:

Ok so safe bet to just get her another account and buy the game twice, lame but we are definitely going to be playing at the same time

That's how it works but without buying the game twice.

Tldr her account plays on your switch and your account plays on hers, it's that simple, it's how it's designed, you don't get in trouble.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It also works just fine if you turn off wifi on your primary switch. It only checks on the secondary switch, so if the primary is offline then both of you can play the same game with the same account.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

They’re made out of Nintendium, a rare and precious resource no other platform holder has been able to replicate

You could believe it, if you look at battery quality for example. Last time I checked on my PS3, the batteries of both controllers were deader than disco, and I had to connect them with their charging cables to get them to work again.

My PSP can barely hold a charge for a day, then it dies again, even if I'm not using it. In contrast, my old 3DS can hold a charge for years. Infrequently I power the thing back up and I'm surprised every time that the battery is still charged. Those batteries are certainly made out of Nintendium

Len posted:

okay but why

My old DS broke its everything, but it stil worked! At the end it was basically just this weird jumble of plastic parts connected with cables, but it ran fine.

Fake edit: Man, now I want that black one. (Though the red cube doesn't look too bad, either)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I do. It’s nearly all my cash. I’ve got 900+. Also I only just finished the central areas and the north. I need to do the west and finish in the east via the south.

I probably could’ve sold some stuff to buy it but I.m hoarding till I know what I need for armor upgrades.

You are supposed to sell stuff to make money in this game. Just sell gems and monster parts you have tons of.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the face of pure joy I made when I did the first boss fight at death mountain with the wings :allears:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I've hit a weird bug in Zelda a few times now where it stops the game and forces me to take the joy cons out. I take them out, game works, I put them back in, game pauses until I take them out again. Going to the main menu I can put them back in normally but I can't start playing again.

I have to take them out, play in tabletop until it saves, close and restart. It's kind of annoying.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I do. It’s nearly all my cash. I’ve got 900+. Also I only just finished the central areas and the north. I need to do the west and finish in the east via the south.

I probably could’ve sold some stuff to buy it but I.m hoarding till I know what I need for armor upgrades.

Just use Fuse like it's intended, and copy a diamond multiple times, and sell them for 500R a unit whenever you need some. Every time I start the game for a short play through I make myself a few diamons and large zonai charges, so I'm well stocked by now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Libluini posted:

My PSP can barely hold a charge for a day, then it dies again, even if I'm not using it. In contrast, my old 3DS can hold a charge for years. Infrequently I power the thing back up and I'm surprised every time that the battery is still charged. Those batteries are certainly made out of Nintendium

It varies. I can play my old 3ds for about an hour, maybe two, before it gives me red flashing. And this is with Pocket Card Jockey, not exactly a graphically strenuous title.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My resource management in totk has been "what resource management?" I just use what I want and go where I feel like going without worrying about it. My justification is the game's design is benevolent enough to not have to worry about the what-ifs and while I'm sure I could be optimizing better the carefree sense of adventure is what I value more.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

I've hit a weird bug in Zelda a few times now where it stops the game and forces me to take the joy cons out. I take them out, game works, I put them back in, game pauses until I take them out again. Going to the main menu I can put them back in normally but I can't start playing again.

I have to take them out, play in tabletop until it saves, close and restart. It's kind of annoying.

This might be a pairing issue. I've had something similar happen now and then with other games, but only one joycon. Basically my hands will start to slide a joycon a tiny bit upward. And that will cause the Switch to think it's disconnected. I forget exactly how to fix it. But you do have to do something with re-synching it. I think with the tiny button on the joycon itself.

edit: I think it has to do with the infrared beam getting moved a tiny bit out of the way where a Switch can't read that the joycon is in place to use it. Something liek that. :shrug:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Any reason to buy a Euro oled switch vs a US oled switch? Somehow the euro one is cheaper. I'm in the US but will be spending the next few months (maybe forever) in Europe. If I buy a US one, can I just swap out the AC cable on the dock to a euro one of I ever want to use this on a TV?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

My resource management in totk has been "what resource management?" I just use what I want and go where I feel like going without worrying about it. My justification is the game's design is benevolent enough to not have to worry about the what-ifs and while I'm sure I could be optimizing better the carefree sense of adventure is what I value more.

Yeah, hoarding in this game is counter-productive waste of time. It's a bad policy in most games but especially here.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Resources are distrubuted by region and biome, so you naturally collect a range of stuff in traveling. Explore underground -> Run out of brightbloom seeds, forced to leave -> find a cave in the overworld by happenstance and grab a bunch of seeds -> underground opens up again

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

Any reason to buy a Euro oled switch vs a US oled switch? Somehow the euro one is cheaper. I'm in the US but will be spending the next few months (maybe forever) in Europe. If I buy a US one, can I just swap out the AC cable on the dock to a euro one of I ever want to use this on a TV?

The only thing that controls region locking is your eshop account so buy whatever hardware you want

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Kwolok posted:

My partner and I have a switch each, mine has my account as primary and his has his account as primary but we also have the other account as well. He's been able to download my purchased copy of ToTK and play for probably about 20 hours total so far, every so often when he boots up it has to go online and check that no other games are being played on my account but otherwise he can go into airplane mode and be fine.

Edit: drat beaten a bunch I should've refreshed sooner. Also to above, I got the UK pokemon oled sent to the US because it was also somehow cheaper, and other than having a random charger with the other plug style laying around the house somewhere there's no issue at all.

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 21, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

wizard2 posted:

It is more convoluted and less risky than youre thinking but basically afaik you simply would not be able to play at the same time.

Praise Be Unto Nintendo

You can play at the same time if the master account is in airplane mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Fhqwhgads posted:

I was using a UK OLED Switch for a year or so before "upgrading" to a TOTK model and had precisely zero issues.