Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Goths only do this when they are very distressed (always).

Radio Paranoia fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s literally in the headline

Not only that, it's the first words of the headline.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The General posted:

Not only that, it's the first words of the headline.

Sorry, gonna need more evidence.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Don't use self checkouts. You don't work there. Easy peasy problem solved.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
But self checkouts make it easier to steal

I'll tip myself, thank you

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I went to my local supermarket the other day and the self check out had a line and there was a dude just standing at one of the serviced check outs just being bored.

WTF?

Didn't even have ear buds in.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've wondered if the constant demand for tips everywhere is finally going to create enough backlash to do away with tipping finally. Cuz tipping is bad.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

davidspackage posted:

But self checkouts make it easier to steal

I'll tip myself, thank you

They do, and my favourite part is it’s easiest here in the UK at the most expensive grocery places because all their customers are lovely old boomers, so none of them seem to have those scales that constantly tell you you’ve put the wrong item down, presumably in order to make the boomer shopping experience as frictionless as possible and stop them losing their minds while also not having to pay for cashiers.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

They do, and my favourite part is it’s easiest here in the UK at the most expensive grocery places because all their customers are lovely old boomers, so none of them seem to have those scales that constantly tell you you’ve put the wrong item down, presumably in order to make the boomer shopping experience as frictionless as possible and stop them losing their minds while also not having to pay for cashiers.

I went to a Sainsbury’s once and on the self service checkout i got age checked and had to wait for someone to come down because I was buying a sandwich and an energy drink

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

XeeD posted:

They donät accept cash anyway :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They donät accept cash anyway :shrug:

Loads of them accept cash here, most bigger places might have a few set up and clearly signposted “card only” but I can probably count on one hand the number of places near me that have no cash option at all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Loads of them accept cash here, most bigger places might have a few set up and clearly signposted “card only” but I can probably count on one hand the number of places near me that have no cash option at all.

Well OK but you can probably guess by the fact that I accidentally pressed the ä key instead of the adjacent ' key that I don't live there.

(Not that I'd use self-checkout even if they took cash.)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It was obvious that you were German when you mentioned Cash, kein Umlaut nötig.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well OK but you can probably guess by the fact that I accidentally pressed the ä key instead of the adjacent ' key that I don't live there.

Uh huh, and you realise that your post gave absolutely no hint that you weren’t just talking about them universally, right?

Weird thing to get aggro about but ok, sure.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They put in self checkout with a cash option here at the Aldi. But you can't self checkout anything that is sold open or by wight, like the fresh bread or the fresh vegetables. So nobody uses it, you just see people wanting to try it and reverse course once they see the sign.
Also, not sure if they accept Pfand. I don't use them.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Uh huh, and you realise that your post gave absolutely no hint that you weren’t just talking about them universally, right?

Weird thing to get aggro about but ok, sure.

Forget it, it's Jerrytown.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

That's no SLEPP.

Very mild curse. 2 out of 10.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Armitag3 posted:

I went to a Sainsbury’s once and on the self service checkout i got age checked and had to wait for someone to come down because I was buying a sandwich and an energy drink

Wait you can't use self service if your under 18 in the UK or was it just the staff being poo poo? Like here in Australia I'm sure i've seen teens use them and no one cared.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

dr_rat posted:

Wait you can't use self service if your under 18 in the UK or was it just the staff being poo poo? Like here in Australia I'm sure i've seen teens use them and no one cared.

I don’t know, I assume it was the energy drink or maybe I triggered some thing where they thought i was stealing something

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

XeeD posted:

I don't mind bagging groceries, and, as a fully adult human with the sweet tooth and lack of self control of a toddler, I appreciate the smaller amount of implicit judgment on my purchases as I check out

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Armitag3 posted:

I don’t know, I assume it was the energy drink or maybe I triggered some thing where they thought i was stealing something

Almost every supermarket in the UK voluntarily restricts sales of energy drinks to under 16s now and there’s a legal ban incoming apparently so they’re just ahead of the curve, so the machines are configured to throw up the same challenge as if you scanned alcohol for an employee to come over and check you’re not really 3 kids in a trench coat off to do a business.

Edit: fixed link

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

They put in self checkout with a cash option here at the Aldi. But you can't self checkout anything that is sold open or by wight, like the fresh bread or the fresh vegetables. So nobody uses it,

Same except because you can't buy alcohol or cigarettes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The self-checkout registers used to be simpler and faster to use, but I guess to cut down on theft, they brought out new machines that slow everything down and use scales to make sure you aren't loving up.

So let's say I had 6 identical cans of soup. I used to be able to take one out of my bag, scan it 6 times, and be done with it. Now I gotta scan one, put it on the scale, wait for the register to be ready for the next scan, and repeat the process. And if you have a lot of groceries, that poo poo adds up and then you have a huge pile of poo poo balancing on this scale and you can't remove any of it until the register says "OK there's too much stuff. Remove it now" because otherwise the register will give you poo poo about the weight not matching with what you've rung up and you gotta fix it NOW.

And you have like 3 or 4 workers standing around to make sure people aren't stealing, and to attend to people that need help because these registers are always loving up or you can't do things that fix something ringing up wrong, and then there's only like 1 or 2 regular checkout lanes.

The whole thing is loving stupid and makes everything so much less convenient for everyone involved and the only people that don't see that are the people that are coming up with these ideas in the first place.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The inevitable grocery store discussion de-rail is the real curse.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And what's the deal with airline food?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jamesman posted:

The self-checkout registers used to be simpler and faster to use, but I guess to cut down on theft, they brought out new machines that slow everything down and use scales to make sure you aren't loving up.

So let's say I had 6 identical cans of soup. I used to be able to take one out of my bag, scan it 6 times, and be done with it. Now I gotta scan one, put it on the scale, wait for the register to be ready for the next scan, and repeat the process. And if you have a lot of groceries, that poo poo adds up and then you have a huge pile of poo poo balancing on this scale and you can't remove any of it until the register says "OK there's too much stuff. Remove it now" because otherwise the register will give you poo poo about the weight not matching with what you've rung up and you gotta fix it NOW.

And you have like 3 or 4 workers standing around to make sure people aren't stealing, and to attend to people that need help because these registers are always loving up or you can't do things that fix something ringing up wrong, and then there's only like 1 or 2 regular checkout lanes.

The whole thing is loving stupid and makes everything so much less convenient for everyone involved and the only people that don't see that are the people that are coming up with these ideas in the first place.

The whole point is to get rid of employees. The fewer employees, the more profit. It's hosed. Don't use self-checkout if you want to support the workers. Or something. Capitalism sucks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
People who go to regular checkouts, check out like this, but people who go to self checkouts check out like this.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There's usually open self checkouts and enormous lines waiting for the human cashiers. If you get caught stealing at the self check out, can you just say "sorry! I missed the training"?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I was at the store and a homeless guy was getting accosted by a cop for trying to steal a $4 tall boy. I offered to pay but was told to mind my business

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

There's usually open self checkouts and enormous lines waiting for the human cashiers. If you get caught stealing at the self check out, can you just say "sorry! I missed the training"?

“Oh whoops I thought I scanned that” EZ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

nexous posted:

I was at the store and a homeless guy was getting accosted by a cop for trying to steal a $4 tall boy. I offered to pay but was told to mind my business

We gotta meet quotas or else the company that supplies our food is gonna gouge us

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That reminds me of the two City of Heroes characters I made in 2008, cyborgs named Barack Robama and John Mechain.

:roboluv:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Most of the time I use self check outs at WholeFoods and at least one or two items are on Bezos’ tab

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

"Oh, it must be free" i mutter to myself as an item doesn't scan and slip it into my bag.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

One time I wasn’t even trying to steal but the weight thing hosed up because I failed to scan something and put it in the bag. I waved the guy over and he typed in the code and I went on my way. I only figured it out looking at my receipt later.

I’ve got to imagine most employees literally don’t care to try to “catch” you.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The whole point is to get rid of employees. The fewer employees, the more profit. It's hosed. Don't use self-checkout if you want to support the workers. Or something. Capitalism sucks.

Just wait in a few years when they start really getting A.I. worked out so they can start replacing employees with it.

First up will be all the call center workers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Garrand posted:

"Oh, it must be free" i mutter to myself as an item doesn't scan and slip it into my bag.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Vakal posted:

Just wait in a few years when they start really getting A.I. worked out so they can start replacing employees with it.

First up will be all the call center workers.

I can't decide if replacing call center workers with AI would be doing the workers a favor or not, call center work is up there with social media content moderation on the scale of 'jobs that cause actual mental illnesses'. I'm also not sure that arguing with the AI to escalate the call would be more or less painful than doing it with someone making $0.65/hr someplace.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Just have the Panopticon charge me for whatever it sees me putting into my bags as I grocery shop and let me skip the checkout entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug