Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh god Black Steel.

First melt ~70%-15%-15% Copper/Gold/Silver to produce Black Bronze. Then, melt ~%70-%15-%15 Steel/Nickel/Black Bronze to produce Weak Steel. Then soften and fuse an ingot of Weak Steel and Pig Iron to create an ingot of High Carbon Black Steel, which you then beat into a Black Steel Ingot.

Apparently I'll have GT charcoal production soon at least, so I won't have to keep making TFC charcoal pits.

I did find a jungle to deforest at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The various pain-in-the-dick alloys like that and Lumium/Signalum are where I inevitably burn out on Nomifactory every time and it sounds no different for GTNH.

It's a pity because the fancy high tier poo poo sounds rad as gently caress to deal with but trying to automate my way past those hurdles makes me want to pour bleach into my eyes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

The various pain-in-the-dick alloys like that and Lumium/Signalum are where I inevitably burn out on Nomifactory every time and it sounds no different for GTNH.

It's a pity because the fancy high tier poo poo sounds rad as gently caress to deal with but trying to automate my way past those hurdles makes me want to pour bleach into my eyes.

I have ran into nothing this awful. I guess you could swap the % chance of stuff with having to do 2 to 3 chemical mixes. But his path still sounds way worse. Most of the non-mineable ingots so far have been "throw 2 to 3 different dusts into the mixer to get the powder then smelt the powder into the ingot". You then use a furnace or electronic blast furnace and possibly a liquid. The one that does suck is the one you have to cool off after it is done in the EBF.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's kinda stupid that the coolant quest makes you craft 64 cells of the coolant when one Water block and one cooling vent seems to infinitely reuse the same single cell of coolant when making Kanthal, but otherwise the cooling process isn't bad. Just one extra step after the EBF.

Thaumcraft is a bit of a pain in the rear end. I like the minigame, but trying to use the cauldron feels nigh-impossible with how much poo poo is mixing together and disappearing

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

bawk posted:

Thaumcraft is a bit of a pain in the rear end. I like the minigame, but trying to use the cauldron feels nigh-impossible with how much poo poo is mixing together and disappearing

Use the starter cauldron as little as possible. Your goal should be to work towards the Thaumatorium, which is an upgraded cauldron that uses essentia instead of items.

It's the guy on the left, though you can use it just fine without the Thaumic Energistics trappings.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

making energetic alloy in early HV at the mo seems like a slight pain, but nothing that a few mixers in a row outputting into each other can't handle

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there a good way to get a lot of ink sacks without having to hunt down squid? Trying to get a lot of grey dye to make agon ztone base blocks and would rather not cheat in the dye (since it's 1 item and I gather the rest of the blocks and it's for building I would consider this an okay exception )

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Umbral rose is early thaumcraft and it cranks out black dye at a decent pace

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll point out for anyone thinking I'm talking about GTNH, I'm playing a pack called Terra Firma Rescue which combines a custom fork of Terrafirmacraft with Gregtech 6 and some other things like Railcraft, AE2, Botania and Advanced Rocketry. You gotta go through TFC's progression to get to GT, which means working with the TFC forge and anvil to heat metal and form it into things like plates, charcoal pit for charcoal, bloomery and blast furnace to make iron and steel, melting liquid into alloys in the cauldron etc.

Apparently the TFC planet is just one that you start on and eventually leave, and other planets have more advanced resources to mine.

I'm about to make the GT coke oven and apparently some sort of automatic charcoal production and a multiblock rock crusher, but I'll need to bang out a couple dozen more wrought iron and a bunch of black steel first.

Edit Oh okay the quest for ramping up charcoal production was to make 3 more coke ovens lol. Also goddamn these things poo poo out creosote. SO much creosote.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 19, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Am I missing something or can you not use an Refined Storage exporter to fill a Petal Apothecary in 1.18? Or is this some Vault Hunters stupidity and I have to do something asinine?

Edit: Oh, it's not a real tank, so stuff doesn't work with it. Guess I'm figuring out how to do this with Modular Routers and/or just burning a pog on an infinite water bucket. Or maybe an RS Constructor would do it?

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 19, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Echophonic posted:

Edit: Oh, it's not a real tank, so stuff doesn't work with it. Guess I'm figuring out how to do this with Modular Routers and/or just burning a pog on an infinite water bucket. Or maybe an RS Constructor would do it?

How much vanilla and botania kit do you have in VH? The Botania way to automate those things is to drop a bucket of water on the top of the apothecary. Fill the buckets using a dispenser on an infinite water source.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How much vanilla and botania kit do you have in VH? The Botania way to automate those things is to drop a bucket of water on the top of the apothecary. Fill the buckets using a dispenser on an infinite water source.

It seems like VH lets you do anything you want with Vanilla and only disables the trinkets from Botania. VH basically makes modded automation expensive and auto-crafting in any mod is the last thing you unlock.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Echophonic posted:

It seems like VH lets you do anything you want with Vanilla and only disables the trinkets from Botania. VH basically makes modded automation expensive and auto-crafting in any mod is the last thing you unlock.

Then you should be able to automate anything with Botania, as it is a mod that's designed from the ground up to be automated with only its kit and vanilla redstone. Granted, you need to be pretty dang good at vanilla redstone to make it work.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got it, I can use a Modular Router with a fluid module pointing at an RS Fluid Interface, then an Activator to click the bucket on the apothecary. I was hoping to just auto-refill it, but I'm sure there's a way with a comparator or detector or something.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Is regrowth still the go-to modpack built around botania and friends? It's always been one of my favorite mods, interesting to automate and chock full of flavor and utility

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GetDunked posted:

Is regrowth still the go-to modpack built around botania and friends? It's always been one of my favorite mods, interesting to automate and chock full of flavor and utility

Yeah it's still good.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Any GTNH enjoyers want to post their current bases so far? Need some inspiration that isn't a crazy YouTuber who plays the game for a living. I'm feeling like it was a trap to not just build underground. And that you have to have some real design skills to do above ground base building.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'll take some screenshots of my base later today. I primarily work aboveground so maybe that'll provide you with some inspiration. I can't guarantee I'm efficient at anything I do though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i toil in a machine-filled pit in the ground

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kyrosiris posted:

I can feel this. When I went into a new tier, it was always "ughh now another pile of blast furnaces with God-knows-what coils and . . . I dunno, some gas or something."

Granted, in Nomifactory, you're making a gazillion of everything so having blast furnaces everywhere makes more sense. I have to imagine somebody playing GTNH will produce more than one type of ingot out of a furnace in fixed batches.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can feel this. When I went into a new tier, it was always "ughh now another pile of blast furnaces with God-knows-what coils and . . . I dunno, some gas or something."

Granted, in Nomifactory, you're making a gazillion of everything so having blast furnaces everywhere makes more sense. I have to imagine somebody playing GTNH will produce more than one type of ingot out of a furnace in fixed batches.

I'm in HV and still rocking one EBF. I just do them in batches like you said. Let it cycle between 2 to 4 hour smelt sessions of aluminum/stainless steel/vanadium steel. I have thought about making a 3rd BBF just to have it do that dust that gives a 2:3 ratio for regular ingots so I can keep the other 2 BBF pumping out steel which takes the longest.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
your whole life in GTNH gets one million times better if you start making dedicated EBFs, at least around HV

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Impermanent posted:

your whole life in GTNH gets one million times better if you start making dedicated EBFs, at least around HV

is this assuming you have dedicated lines setup to go from basic ore block > ebf workable dust? because i do not that yet setup.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Mm yes. I set up those in MV I think. Mostly building tons of lv machines to work in parallel

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

GTNH base pics, as requested!

Starter house, ended up becoming my kitchen and some general storage for blocks, monster bits, armor and weapons, etc.

Manual farming because I've been lazy and was also working on crossbreeding here.

Wide angle of my general work area. You can see my LV cluster in the front right, MV cluster in the back left, and HV cluster in the back right.

Storage area. I try to stay organized but it's definitely an organizational system that only makes sense for me and me alone, which is fine because this isn't a server. Back wall chests tend to be separated loosely by mod, and usually aren't things I'm currently working with frequently.

Closeup of my HV cluster. I built a new Wiremill this tier since I skipped the MV one and was tired of waiting 10 seconds for individual gold and electrum cables.

LPix has a 2MB upload limit so this pic is smaller. This is the secondary building I put together for my EBF and has morphed into EBF, Diesel production, large liquid storage and a little more.

My double EBF. The open roof is just for aesthetics.

Underground below the EBF building I have my Diesel generation setup. The Oil and Heavy Oil come from two steel railcraft tanks in a room above. I've been meaning to make this dirt basement actually have some aesthetic blocks sprucing it up.

Liquid storage. While I love the large tanks visually, I'm probably going to move the hydrogen and oxygen to super tanks for ease of use and much more compact storage. But that's okay because I do have some other fluids that'll fit the basic 576000L tank to replace them instead of sitting in cells or random tanks.

Recent additions, my Oil Drilling Rig and Cleanroom. The cleanroom isn't operational yet as I still need to put a few generators down for it.

Dug into the side of an excavated hill nearby is my thaumcraft room. I haven't progressed very far in it yet, just enough to get me some basics, an upgraded wand, and the goggles of revealing. I'll do more with it later.

Some bees I guess? I've barely touched them.

Steam Macerator and Oven sitting under my 2.8ML Steam tank. The tank also powers my LV setup from a bunch of solar boilers above.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I admit one thing I love about GTNH that hasn't changed since the first time I played it is that every base is set in a weird colored forest with wood houses made of equally weird colored planks. The visual style of the pack is so distinct thanks to its biomes.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

I admit one thing I love about GTNH that hasn't changed since the first time I played it is that every base is set in a weird colored forest with wood houses made of equally weird colored planks. The visual style of the pack is so distinct thanks to its biomes.

I somehow picked the most boring place to start, scrublands next to swamp and some other mono-color biome. Just browns and greens for 1-2km in every direction. I didn't know any better or I would've restarted. Now I'm getting to MV and it's too much of a PITA to move.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Last time I played GTNH i made a knockoff Mother Base

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Kafouille posted:

Last time I played GTNH i made a knockoff Mother Base

How long did that take you to make?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
No idea, I just built the base platform then built it up bit by bit whenever I had some downtime waiting for a recipe.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I genuinely have no idea how I should build my base heh. I suppose I gotta start putting stuff up on stilts since the fluid connections of coke oven and such are on the bottom. Do GT fluid pipes care about gravity or anything, or can I just run pipes wherever the gently caress?

Also the quest book mentions crossbreeding 'resinous sugar cane' and I can't figure out what that means.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 20, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

I genuinely have no idea how I should build my base heh. I suppose I gotta start putting stuff up on stilts since the fluid connections of coke oven and such are on the bottom. Do GT fluid pipes care about gravity or anything, or can I just run pipes wherever the gently caress?

Also the quest book mentions crossbreeding 'resinous sugar cane' and I can't figure out what that means.

GT pipes don't care about gravity.

The questbook is referring to "stickreed", an IndustrialCraft2 crop that yields sticky resin. You acquire it by breeding IC2 crops, one of the two facets of Crop and Bee Torture (CBT). I recommend using slime trees instead; slimeballs can be processed to yield raw rubber dust. Look for the neon eyesores on Journeymap and nerdpole up to them. Crop breeding is pure RNG with no interactivity. It sucks.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Black Pants posted:

You should be able to slap GT pipes on there, gravity doesnt matter but depending on what kind of covers are available at this point in the questbook you may need smeltery seared faucets on them to export the creosote oil. You can use a comparator, a repeater, some redstone and a lever to make a redstone clock and send an on/off pulse across the redstone to auto export.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bawk posted:

You should be able to slap GT pipes on there, gravity doesnt matter but depending on what kind of covers are available at this point in the questbook you may need smeltery seared faucets on them to export the creosote oil. You can use a comparator, a repeater, some redstone and a lever to make a redstone clock and send an on/off pulse across the redstone to auto export.

At least with what I'm using, connecting a pipe to the bottom and then ending it at a tank below is causing the creosote to drain out of the coke oven by itself. I just need.. well, more significant fluid storage solutions heh.

This is for when I need creosote to bucket into things, next up is making more with a big-rear end tank for feeding into a burning box.

Edit: :|

Steel upon steel upon steel.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 20, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Black Pants posted:

Edit: :|

Steel upon steel upon steel.

I need to give this a shot. It's straight up my level of insane masochism.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

for gtnh base builders, dipping into thaumcraft enough to get the wand focus of equal trade and a small field of primal vishrooms for easy vis regeneration has been very helpful

also you can use it to replace blast furnace coils easily, threefold style

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Counterpoint to "don't crossbreed" advice: IC2 crops are very strong and are simpler to crossbreed than bees. Eventually you will want either bees or crops for their infinite resource potential. Or even both if you hate yourself. A lot of players use IC2 crops for salt, for instance.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah like, I don't enjoy having to spend the time working with IC2 crops but I'm about to set up some dedicated efforts to breed better stats onto gold oreberries and/or aurelia seeds because I need more passive gold in HV. I've been resorting to electrotine byproducts for electrum but that's not sustainable in the long run, especially now that I've learned that EV circuits take blue alloy bolts as a component. I'll need that electrotine for its actual purpose.

Plus, I have everything I need for a pyrolyze oven except for a field of bonsais to run through it.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Threefold has a couple videos in his let's play series going over setting up the robot to breed crops for you, but that's HV, a metric rear end-load of materials, the void world, and either doing the thaumcraft research for Nether chests or hoping you get them from loot bags, Alternatively there's also the trandimenional receiver, but that's still IV, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

FPzero posted:

Yeah like, I don't enjoy having to spend the time working with IC2 crops but I'm about to set up some dedicated efforts to breed better stats onto gold oreberries and/or aurelia seeds because I need more passive gold in HV. I've been resorting to electrotine byproducts for electrum but that's not sustainable in the long run, especially now that I've learned that EV circuits take blue alloy bolts as a component. I'll need that electrotine for its actual purpose.

Plus, I have everything I need for a pyrolyze oven except for a field of bonsais to run through it.

Oh god don't do oreberries, the return is terrible. Do glowflowers, extract to glowstone. 2 glowstone centrifuges to 1 redstone 1 gold dust and it solves two resources at once. Technically more since redstone also gives iron, aluminum, oxygen, chrome, silicon (and sulfur if you don't direct smelt pyrite).