Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah this current crop of fighters is really exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
For those following the heavyweight division, Martin Bakole fought the Ukrainian Butterbean in Poland this weekend. It's not a long fight and can be viewed here if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJh5dsTmetY

Bakole is 6'6" 280 lbs. Even without great movement he has serious power and punch output. A fringe contender/gatekeeper perhaps. He exposed Yoka.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

LLCoolJD posted:

For those following the heavyweight division, Martin Bakole fought the Ukrainian Butterbean in Poland this weekend. It's not a long fight and can be viewed here if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJh5dsTmetY

Bakole is 6'6" 280 lbs. Even without great movement he has serious power and punch output. A fringe contender/gatekeeper perhaps. He exposed Yoka.

Dillian Whyte was also in attendance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5gr80bD-to

EDIT: Shout outs to the interviewer who had to translate "[Bakole]'s a pedophile to Polish

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Whyte deciding to stick with the trash talk but also break it down into simple terms for the interviewer is a hilarious set of decisions

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The lightweight division is really stacked right now. What do you think tank will do after he gets out of jail? I guess that really depends on how much jail time he gets

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jared Anderson is fighting Zhan Kossobutskiy on July 1. Pretty crazy fight to make for Anderson. Zhan is 19-0 with 18 KOs and completely unknown, despite being ranked #8 by the WBC. High risk/lowish reward for Anderson, who's probably the most promising heavyweight prospect in the sport.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Jared Anderson is fighting Zhan Kossobutskiy on July 1. Pretty crazy fight to make for Anderson. Zhan is 19-0 with 18 KOs and completely unknown, despite being ranked #8 by the WBC. High risk/lowish reward for Anderson, who's probably the most promising heavyweight prospect in the sport.

Oh nice, I was asking about him a few pages back. Hmmm, how silly would it be to drive 8 hours each way and spend a day or two in Toledo and go watch this in person? Been a few years since I last went to Ohio, cedar point is nearby too, :thunk:.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1651269335493517312?s=20

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Goddamn

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Brut posted:

Oh nice, I was asking about him a few pages back. Hmmm, how silly would it be to drive 8 hours each way and spend a day or two in Toledo and go watch this in person? Been a few years since I last went to Ohio, cedar point is nearby too, :thunk:.

Cedar Point rules, you should do it!!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
*Puts on Carnac the Magnificent hat*

Canelo Alvarez will beat John Ryder by decision and after failing to secure favorable terms for a Dmitry Bivol rematch and citing hand injuries, will retire to join the LIV golf tour.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
You got me thinking. This heavyweight super fight rumour for December too.

The middle East should try and make its own tournament / league style boxing set up where boxers don't control who they fight but the £££ are worth it. Wouldn't it be amazing to have 20 boxers in a weight division fighting 6x a year in a round robin? With points for wins by ko, decision, split decision etc.

And a belt every 2-4 yrs for the top dog.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I am seeing all kinds of crazy speculative numbers being thrown around for this Saudi heavyweight event. Including knockout bonuses.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think Ryder is a legit opponent for a Canelo opponent but I also think he doesn't have the defense to make it to the cards unless Canelo is really out of shape or hungover from Cinco. If I was betting I'd probably take Canelo stoppage 7-12.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/kenduffywbal/status/1654564784715489283?s=20

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

that three years probation is absolutely going to keep him in trouble

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Wow nobody posting itt about Canelo fighting? Not like I'm watching it either tbh.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Just ended and I gotta say, if that's how Canelo is fighting these days, I don't know about him beating Bivol. Enormous credit to Ryder for him getting back up after the knock down in the fifth round and genuinely giving it his all, and landed some good shots of his own even if he did lack the power to truly hurt him.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Ninth Layer posted:

Wow nobody posting itt about Canelo fighting? Not like I'm watching it either tbh.

canelo looked bad in this fight, he gassed late. i don't think that a fight vs bivol is smart for him to take at this point in his career but a man's pride is a man's pride

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Canelo got hit clean way too many times in that for me to believe that he's as good as he has ever been.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/ZohebMMA/status/1657500307750887427

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
https://twitter.com/espnringside/status/1657605918685626369?s=46&t=rb47U_QY4DF83qXxAiCRCA

Rolly was losing on all cards and then this happened.

The ref also said this was a knockdown

https://twitter.com/ringofhighlight/status/1657599347255812096?s=46&t=rb47U_QY4DF83qXxAiCRCA

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

it’s reassuring when commentators make the same sound I do in reaction to something

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hell yeah Rolly, get that belt

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Soliciting any and all takes on Haney vs Loma

Personally I feel like this should be a really big fight but I'm having trouble getting really excited because I can't really envision any outcome other than Haney winning by decision.And not to get all solipsistic but I feel like a lot of the core audience who would be the ones pushing a lightweight unification to more casual friends feel similar and this will bomb on ppv and at the gate as well.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm not sure if Loma has learned as much from the Teofimo loss as he says he has

Hopefully the winner of this fights Shakur

Haney split decision

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The SituAsian posted:

Soliciting any and all takes on Haney vs Loma

Personally I feel like this should be a really big fight but I'm having trouble getting really excited because I can't really envision any outcome other than Haney winning by decision.And not to get all solipsistic but I feel like a lot of the core audience who would be the ones pushing a lightweight unification to more casual friends feel similar and this will bomb on ppv and at the gate as well.

Yeah Loma doesn’t have much mystique to him these days and I think everyone is expecting Haney to win relatively comfortably. I’ll mostly be watching out of curiosity to see whether Loma can get it back together.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Haney seems like a really bad stylistic matchup for Loma in my view, so I'll be watching to see how one of the best boxers on Earth attempts to navigate that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I can’t see Lomachenko making the same strategic error of doing absolutely nothing but get punched really hard for the first 7 rounds. While that fight was just about 3 years ago and Haney is a more skilled boxer than López, I don’t know if 1) his fists are as heavy as López and 2) that even an older Lomachenko will look that listless.

Basicslly I think Haney ekes it out but it’ll be closer than the Téofimo fight.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Someone who knows more than me tell me why Loma went pro so late?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I think partially just as a contingency of the four-year cycle for Olympics. He was 24 for the 2012 games.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Torquemada posted:

Someone who knows more than me tell me why Loma went pro so late?

European countries, particularly countries in the former soviet bloc, care way more about the amateurs than Americans do. Winning international competitions and gold medals is very prestigious

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well Devin is either shook or learned all the wrong lessons from Davis-Garcia or both

https://twitter.com/trboxing/status/1660004967116070924

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol looking forward to this one

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Didn't need a PPV to see the KO of the year by Nakatani!

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/trboxing/status/1660100394587148289

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Any recommendations for catching the fight without PPV? Funds are pretty low at the moment due to a move :(

EDIT: Thanks for the hookup via PM Fozzy!

Everyones Favorite Poster fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 21, 2023

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Haney has to sell out to win by KO now and I don’t think he has the strength left

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
boxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
What the hell lmao