Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Rusty posted:

Metro: Last Light Complete Edition is free on Steam right now fwiw. Exodus is $7.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/Metro_Last_Light_Complete_Edition/

:hmmyes: if you haven't played the metro games, play them. Metro 2033 redux is where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Can anyone recommend a game like Tyrian 2000 or Raptor: Call Of The Shadows?
I'm talking about a shoot 'em up where you keep the gear you've bought with credits, allowing you to customize your ship and upgrade it as you see fit.
Jets'n'Guns is a good example of the kind of thing I'm looking for, it is quite fun but it doesn't quite scratch that itch, you dig?

DreadStar: The Quest for Revenge is pretty decent.

Edit: I had a good time playing it, but the price is a little steep for how long it is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This game is an extremely poor Tyrian clone, it's a bad game.
Tyrian rules. I love it and replay it ever couple of years, and this time I heard about Beyond the Storm and thought I'd get new Tryian. It isn't.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I like Grime's art style, never heard of it. Is it like Blasphemous or Ori 2?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mescal posted:

I like Grime's art style, never heard of it. Is it like Blasphemous or Ori 2?
it's definitely more like Blasphemous, it's a souls-like with heavy emphasis on parrying

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It has some incredibly creative boss design and owns.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah it's kind of like a 2D soulslike with art direction that reminds me of Scorn. I wouldn't say it's even close to as good as Blasphemous (in my mind almost nothing in the genre is), but it's a very good game if you like that kind of thing.

I've been playing a game released this week called Humanity. Have yall heard of it? It's super freaking good. Very weird, but also very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnZjhuxW2-g

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Grime is pretty solid. I wouldn't call it one of the absolutely best metroidvanias ever made but you can't go wrong with it. I haven't played the free DLC, not sure how much that adds.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 20, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The two games I play on steam all of a sudden play like poo poo. Every 30 seconds or so the game will hang for 3-4 seconds before kicking in again.

If I have Steam open on my second monitor I can see it also hangs too and has the "not responding" message across the top bar.

Interestingly, when I booted Modern Warfare before it started happening it did the "first time launch direct X check" thing that happens when you launch a game for the very first time.

Does Steam think I installed new hardware or something and now it's running like a dog? (I haven't). Is there somewhere in Windows 11 I can check to see recent system/hardware changes (and potentially roll them back?) that may have caused Steam to think this?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Speaking of Grime, it's "free" this month if you have Amazon Prime via Prime Gaming. You do need to use the amazon games launcher to install it, but most of the games on there have no DRM and you can just copy the files wherever and delete the launcher if you want.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Elden ring dlc looks good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Gripper posted:

Speaking of Grime, it's "free" this month if you have Amazon Prime via Prime Gaming. You do need to use the amazon games launcher to install it, but most of the games on there have no DRM and you can just copy the files wherever and delete the launcher if you want.

grime gaming

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

novid When you add the novid launch option to a game, the intro video of the game will not be played.

Can you use game launch options universally?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mescal posted:

novid When you add the novid launch option to a game, the intro video of the game will not be played.

Can you use game launch options universally?
Every game has its own set of launch options/command line options. novid is specific to Valve's games/engines, but other games may have their own equivalent.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My first step is usually checking pcgamingwiki for those.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Turtle

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

:golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Took me too long but :hmmyes:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just finished up FIST Forged In Shadow Torch

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256920874/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1670922794

PROS
A great fusion of metroidvania exploration with DMC-esque combat
Beautifully detailed environments and world
Lots of variety in the challenges keep things fresh: keeps introducing new mechanics and has many interesting one-off setpieces like a stealth level and a chase and so on
Level design reminds me of Celeste: it's big, but it's mostly straightforward with some sidepaths that led to optional bonus rooms that contain challenging fights or platforming
Very challenging and fun combat: love to combo juggle and weapon swap and flex my parry skills, and later fights do require you to crowd control and combo in order to win
Very fun platforming/exploration: tons of rewards to pick up, tons of obstacles to get around with your powers like jumping, dashing, grappling, hovering, etc

CONS
Story suffers from what sounds like a badly translated script: you can get the broad strokes but there's plenty of awkward phrasing
Story is pretty underdeveloped and has an ending that feels like one of those 'bad' endings you get before you get the 'true' ending (which doesn't exist here)
Game takes a bit to get going particularly combat-wise: all the fancy toys and combos feel unnecessary due to it being very easy to start off
Couple of stinker levels: hated the mines and temple for example due to the terrible rock enemies
Performance was a bit wonky at times, coupla bugs here and there but nothing major or game-breaking
Lots of empty space and annoyance in retreading platforming challenges if you backtrack
Controls can be a bit wonky: it seems like the controls were built to be mash-friendly, but not precise button friendly, and it annoyed me occasionally (as in, you have better luck hitting a two/three-hit combo by mashing the buttons instead of trying to time two single presses) and due to it using analog for movement, I'd have a lot of times where I'd hit up+attack to uppercut and it'd flip my facing to the other direction

Basically, if you're looking for a solid metroidvania with a focus on stylish DMC combat and platforming challenges, and don't mind a bit of a lackluster ending to a confusingly translated story, pick it up for sure. Reminds me a lot of Vernal Edge which I've spoken about before in this thread.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 20, 2023

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Hwurmp posted:

None of these are quite the same style of sidescrolling career shmup, but they might scratch a similar itch:

Drainus
Jet Lancer
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

Venuz Patrol posted:

Super Hydorah doesn't have weapon purchasing, but you do unlock new weapons for each completed mission and get to mix and match them freely later, similar to the euroshmup genre

Mothmansplainer posted:

DreadStar: The Quest for Revenge is pretty decent.

Edit: I had a good time playing it, but the price is a little steep for how long it is.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I know what I'm doing with the rest of my Saturday!

KakerMix posted:

This game is an extremely poor Tyrian clone, it's a bad game.
Tyrian rules. I love it and replay it ever couple of years, and this time I heard about Beyond the Storm and thought I'd get new Tryian. It isn't.

Cool, good to know. I'm still gonna check it out, but I might abuse the refund policy. Don't tell anyone!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I know what I'm doing with the rest of my Saturday!

Cool, good to know. I'm still gonna check it out, but I might abuse the refund policy. Don't tell anyone!

That's exactly what I did. You'll find out real quick if you like it or not, for me the movement and energy management was immediately repulsive.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I could use some opinions on a few janky Chinese games I'm considering.

Tale of Immortal: I like dumb wuxia bullshit, and this looks like the devs understand what people like about dumb wuxia bullshit. Downsides: tons of negative reviews, apparently the devs accidentally packaged viruses in it at one point or something?

Sands of Salzaar: top-down Bannerlord with sprites, except middle eastern setting, except tons of random diablo poo poo layered on top of it? This game sounds like a goddamn mess, but it looks like a blast. Downsides: my Chinese MOBA radar is going off here- for some reason this makes me think it's going to be the core of a great game buried under a million layers of weird and frustrating design choices made by devs whose sensibilities were shaped by playing tons of stuff from the Chinese mobile f2p landscape.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Tale of Immortal is basically shmup combat with tons of ingredient grinding to breakthrough with. Three tiers for each breakthrough, each of which provides an increase according to how much turbogrinding you want to do for super rares. Several difficulty settings which boil down to the harder it is, the more grinding you have to do in order to keep pace. You won't survive on Hell and Hell difficulty by picking the store bought ingredients for your Golden Core.
I find it incredibly grindy and samey. Just walk around targets and aim to shoot until they fall.

I assume you know about Cultivation Simulator, so you may want to look into https://store.steampowered.com/app/1201230/Immortal_Life/. A Harvest Moon Cultivator.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I would also be curious if anyone has put some time into sands of salazar

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
What are people's opinions on the Crysis remasters?

I was interested in Hunt: Showdown, and saw there was a "Crytek action pack" that includes Hunt, a DLC and all Crysis remasters for $47 when Hunt by itself was $40.

I messed around with Crysis 1, but my old laptop could barely run it. I have a modern computer, I'm assuming it can still barely run it? :perjury:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure they ever fixed the "only uses a single core" thing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I started RE4 remake and it's not exactly that i'm "scared" but it's crazy how much more my nerves react to scary games as I've gotten older lol. Like I used to be able to play anything and it never bothered me as a kid, but I get so jumpy with survival
horror stuff now.

Movies never bother me, I can watch whatever, loved nasty poo poo like Terrifier, but give me enough goofy video game jumpscares back-to-back and I'll have to turn it off and take a break.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gorilla Radio posted:

I was interested in Hunt: Showdown, and saw there was a "Crytek action pack" that includes Hunt, a DLC and all Crysis remasters for $47 when Hunt by itself was $40.

I messed around with Crysis 1, but my old laptop could barely run it. I have a modern computer, I'm assuming it can still barely run it? :perjury:

The Crysis remasters are bad technically, in some ways running worse than the originals and honestly mostly unnecessary on a graphics front because they barely did any upgrades and the originals mostly hold up.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Omi no Kami posted:

I could use some opinions on a few janky Chinese games I'm considering.

Tale of Immortal: I like dumb wuxia bullshit, and this looks like the devs understand what people like about dumb wuxia bullshit. Downsides: tons of negative reviews, apparently the devs accidentally packaged viruses in it at one point or something?

Sands of Salzaar: top-down Bannerlord with sprites, except middle eastern setting, except tons of random diablo poo poo layered on top of it? This game sounds like a goddamn mess, but it looks like a blast. Downsides: my Chinese MOBA radar is going off here- for some reason this makes me think it's going to be the core of a great game buried under a million layers of weird and frustrating design choices made by devs whose sensibilities were shaped by playing tons of stuff from the Chinese mobile f2p landscape.

Fuligin posted:

I would also be curious if anyone has put some time into sands of salazar

Okay, so take this with a massive grain of salt since I refunded it after a bit, but...

You pretty much have it right that Sands of Salzaar is kind of like Mount and Blade if it was Chinese wuxia themed and you were playing it from an RTS perspective. And it is extremely janky... because it's trying to be Mount and Blade, which for all that people praise it, is itself a very janky game. The translation being kind of iffy doesn't help either, although the devs are thoroughly committed to at least trying to improve the English playerbase experience.

My big thing was that at the time I had just recently bought Bannerlord and couldn't justify buying another game in the same vein while I was still tiptoeing around even trying that. Apart from that? There's worse things to throw $15 at, but it really depends on whether you love the concept enough to push through the mediocre parts.

EDIT: Oh whoops, forgot the review I was going to do. So I'll keep this short: finally got around to playing the full version of DROP - System Breach and I was having a really good time... until the start of what the game seems to think is the end sequence. In addition to dragging on, even at that point DROP just kept adding more mechanics (which were also less fun than the already existing mechanics), under the weight of which it eventually became too much for me to handle. Of course, maybe it's just because I'm bad at video games and you'll find the endgame to be thrilling (plenty of people in the thread seem to have found it fine, for instance), but I really think that DROP should have called it quits somewhere around the 6 hour mark.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 21, 2023

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Jossar posted:

Okay, so take this with a massive grain of salt since I refunded it after a bit, but...

You pretty much have it right that Sands of Salzaar is kind of like Mount and Blade if it was Chinese wuxia themed and you were playing it from an RTS perspective. And it is extremely janky... because it's trying to be Mount and Blade, which for all that people praise it, is itself a very janky game. The translation being kind of iffy doesn't help either, although the devs are thoroughly committed to at least trying to improve the English playerbase experience.

My big thing was that at the time I had just recently bought Bannerlord and couldn't justify buying another game in the same vein while I was still tiptoeing around even trying that. Apart from that? There's worse things to throw $15 at, but it really depends on whether you love the concept enough to push through the mediocre parts.

EDIT: Oh whoops, forgot the review I was going to do. So I'll keep this short: finally got around to playing the full version of DROP - System Breach and I was having a really good time... until the start of what the game seems to think is the end sequence. In addition to dragging on, even at that point DROP just kept adding more mechanics (which were also less fun than the already existing mechanics), under the weight of which it eventually became too much for me to handle. Of course, maybe it's just because I'm bad at video games and you'll find the endgame to be thrilling (plenty of people in the thread seem to have found it fine, for instance), but I really think that DROP should have called it quits somewhere around the 6 hour mark.

That's super-useful, thank you guys for the reviews! I'm definitely giving ToI a hard miss... SoS probably stays on the wishlist for a while, it looks rad as heck so I really hope the devs iron it out over time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I've been playing RE Village and RE4 remake at basically the same time and I gotta say, Village seems a lot better to me.

The biggest difference is pretty obvious: first person camera is simply the way to go for a horror game and for RE games in general. RE7 and RE8 are two of the scariest and most fun entries in the series because they broke away from that third person view. I realize that there would've been a nuclear level freakout if they remade RE4 in a first person style, but drat if I wouldn't have much preferred that.

I also like the setting of RE8 better but that's more of a personal taste thing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RE4 is not a horror game.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I started playing a bit of 8 but didnt get far yet, I feel like werewolves soak up a lot more bullets than usual

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

well, it should be. and even if it's not meant to be a horror game, as an action/shooting game I guess, it would still be better in FPV imo

Mr.Acula posted:

I started playing a bit of 8 but didnt get far yet, I feel like werewolves soak up a lot more bullets than usual

they spongin a bit out there yeah, but they're werewolves so it kinda makes sense. werewolves shouldn't be pushovers, unless you have silver bullets i guess

except actually they're not werewolves they're just freaky genetic experiments using mold or whatever

Play fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 21, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm not a Resident Evil fan and I don't like horror games (except Signalis, it's exceptionally good, buy it now) but I loving loved RE6 Mercenaries.
RE6 has a really cool and unique combat system that I haven't seen any other game try to replicate, and I really really hope that Capcom is planning on making an RE6 Remake at some point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gorilla Radio posted:

Hunt frequently goes on sale for $20 FYI, so I'd avoid paying full price

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

The initial concept for RE4 was deemed to be "too far" from the series' roots and was renamed Devil May Cry.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Play posted:

well, it should be. and even if it's not meant to be a horror game, as an action/shooting game I guess, it would still be better in FPV imo

that is such a wrong take i can only assume you barely used melee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Gorilla Radio posted:

I think the first installment still has severe performance issues, the other 2 run OK but are still very demanding with RTX on so same scenario all over again. I personally found it way too soon for a remaster and also aside from graphics content wise not much was changed so it can feel outdated when you played other shooters.