Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ain’t a single one in my state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
yeah drat sorry i didn't know it was so regional

i also don't know if it's chain wide

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

My parents have a winco down the street from their house, guess I should go visit soon.

dorium fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 20, 2023

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Gripweed posted:

I just got out of a big expense I was expecting. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading to a TV that's less than 15 years old and doesn't get extremely hot after half an hour of use.

Under a couple thousand these days for a top end 65” OLED. Go for it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah definitely upgrade the tv (and buy a sound bar setup for it if you don’t have a dedicated audio setup already. Tv speakers suck).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Boywhiz88 posted:

Under a couple thousand these days for a top end 65” OLED. Go for it.

The expense was like 500 bucks

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gripweed posted:

The expense was like 500 bucks

That'll still get ya a pretty sick 55" 4K.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

caligulamprey posted:

That'll still get ya a pretty sick 55" 4K.

Yeah I was looking at what they had at Target. None of the floor models were hot at all which just made me more concerned about how hot my TV gets. Is Vizio a reliable brand?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, vizio used to be the quality bargain brand.

It kind of transitioned into a middle tier now, more money but build is about the same.

You want a Hisense or TCL if youre looking for the cheapie entry level bargain brands that are reliable.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I had a 55” Vizio since 2016-ish and I’ve had very few problems with it. There’s a big dark spot on it now, but it is 7 years old now. Im probably moving soon, so I’ll upgrade to something bigger and better then.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve had a 70” Vizio M Series for 6 years and it’s going strong.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sniep posted:

walmart: dvd bins (dvds only)

those Walmart DVD bins are ridiculous business, as I learned 10 years ago when Walmart acquired my company.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Liar Lyre posted:

I had a 55” Vizio since 2016-ish and I’ve had very few problems with it. There’s a big dark spot on it now, but it is 7 years old now. Im probably moving soon, so I’ll upgrade to something bigger and better then.

My 2016ish 55 inch Vizio also has a dark spot. Unfortunately my wife doesn't notice it, so I'm living with it. Is this fixable?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Fate Accomplice posted:

those Walmart DVD bins are ridiculous business, as I learned 10 years ago when Walmart acquired my company.

I'd be making the blu ray bins make money too if they still existed! lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The Vudu $4.99 section is the Walmart DVD bin of streaming

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Just for curiosity, when is the last time you saw Drop Dead Fred?

Whenever it came out I guess. I know it's terrible.

ruddiger posted:

The sequel to the original or the sequel to the remake?

The original. Afaik the only release is a full screen DVD and it's never been reissued since.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Drop Dead Fred is good :colbert: Just accept that you're a child again when you watch it and not Middle Age Angry Alone Collector Guy.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Drop Dead Fred wasn't even good when I was a kid!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, watching Drop Dead Fred made me feel like I was 8 years old again, I still enjoyed it.

Wish I could say the same for Little Monsters... oof.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The only thing that's really held up from my childhood is The Adventures of Pete & Pete. I think I might like it even more as an adult.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Drop Dead Fred is amazing in 1991 when you're 10 and Phoebe Cates is in every scene. :swoon:

I think I ended up seeing it three or four times in the theater and I can't remember frame of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My favorite movies when I was a kid were Sister Act and Predator 2 and both of them are still great today.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The director of Drop Dead Fred also did a film called Highway To Hell that I find absolutely fascinating. It has such great production design and such a weird vibe that's a mishmash of a bunch of mythological depictions of hell. It's not gonna blow you away but it definitely stuck in my head. I should pick up the Blu-ray or DVD some time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

Any word on any more Hitchcock movies coming to 4K? I have a blu- ray box set that I'd like to completely upgrade, though I bet no one's dying to get their hands on Torn Curtain, etc in 4K

Universal should have the third and final volume out before the end of the year with Rope, The Man Who Knew Too Much '56, Torn Curtain, Topaz, and Frenzy.

Spellbound has a new restoration from Disney and The Film Foundation, which will likely get a release through Criterion. No idea if they're allowed to do UHD for Disney-owned titles, though. A box set with all four of the Selznick/Hitchcock films in UHD would be pretty cool (especially since Rebecca and Notorious look gorgeous just in 1080p).

Warner Archive is supposed to have the last "new to Blu" title Mr. & Mrs. Smith sometime this or next year. I'd imagine they'll finally get North by Northwest in 4K sometime soon, plus maybe Strangers on a Train. I'd also expect Paramount to do a 4K of To Catch a Thief eventually.

(Note: Disney owns Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, and The Paradine Case because ABC Films purchased the Selznick International library sometime in the 60s. Obviously, this doesn't include the films Selznick sold off like Gone with the Wind or the 1937 A Star is Born)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The director of Drop Dead Fred also did a film called Highway To Hell that I find absolutely fascinating. It has such great production design and such a weird vibe that's a mishmash of a bunch of mythological depictions of hell. It's not gonna blow you away but it definitely stuck in my head. I should pick up the Blu-ray or DVD some time.

Weirdly enough, I watched that just a few days ago. It’s not a good movie, but it does have a ton of cool ideas.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Man I remember a few years ago when it seemed like Gundam was dead in America. Now even mediocre/bad obscure Gundam ephemera is on Blu-ray

https://twitter.com/wtk/status/1660060990132695040?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1660291260282707970?t=pGYnokwyVb-fgdVKygKXTA&s=19

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1660092671858180097?t=3U9wpktH5oqjeAYw0MZzgg&s=19

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I love So I Married an Axe Murderer but... why?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber also announced they're doing a UHD of High Noon.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Axe and Ferris are day ones. I didn't own them in another format previously but I do enjoy both of them enough to show other people. I like that we're getting into the 80s and 90s catalog harder now then ever.

TOMMY BOY WHEN??!?!?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Egbert Souse posted:

Universal should have the third and final volume out before the end of the year with Rope, The Man Who Knew Too Much '56, Torn Curtain, Topaz, and Frenzy.

much obliged, most excellent news

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I bought the steelcase Army of Darkness 4K and the From Beyond 4K a few weeks ago and am finally watching them tonight and they look really great. Bought a few of the going out of print blu rays from Vinegar Syndrome too at the same time and got my Criterion order in from their sale (Thief and the rest of the Lynch stuff that I didn’t have), and will probably buy some more stuff during the halfway to Black Friday sale. I thought I was cutting back on getting blu rays :shepface:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino Lorber also announced they're doing a UHD of High Noon.

Nice, that rules! Love that Lee Van Cleef is one of the goons in that.

Saw Outland (1981) last night, which also ruled! I've heard it called High Noon in space, and it works.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1660641992089403392

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

TWOW cover is gross, first one looks gorgeous.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
ok but like now do the ones I want like the abyss

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
maybe a T2 do over that isn't absolute garbage, ya know, if you see fit

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1660673740768792576

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1660672290529370113

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://twitter.com/SusieKxoxo/status/1660671003830173700?s=20

BBY Steelbook isn’t bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The spines just having an A logo and no titles is a real interesting design choice for a five-part movie series..let's play "placeholder or apathy?"