Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

IkeTurner posted:

Continuing my blind adventure into water color painting. This was based on a memory of going to the Bronx Zoo as a child.

I love how the body is defined only by the stripes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I've been working on my first comic and it's getting me to draw a shitload of stuff I've never attempted before. Seems like good practice.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm gonna try to finish this by next week

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

I have no idea what I'm doing but these alcohol markers are fun. Heidi, Girl of the Alps

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Still getting weird with paints. Not sure what this is about, but here it is.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 21, 2023

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Been slowly shaking the rust off of my 2d art. Here's an alium concept I've been picking away at for a prospective project.

(click for big)

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 21, 2023

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I was kind of obsessively doing little copies with ink brushes and markers this weekend. I tried using a dagger brush for the little grasses and was really pleased with the effect. I'm not really ready to take the deep dive into watercolors yet, so brushes+markers feels like a very happy compromise.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Another animation:

#1983: "Good morning!"

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

thinkin about princess kaguya

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Cephas posted:

thinkin about princess kaguya

That owns

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Final pass on this bot.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
As a reward for finishing a sketchbook I bought the "Sketching from the imagination: Sci Fi"-book and drew some things from it

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Did a lil messin around with Kritia.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Gonna put this on pause for now, will come back to finish it at a later date

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Trying new watercolor techniques, just to see what happens. Never forget.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

This is great and deranged enough to be a real Heathcliff

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

it's perfect

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1988: quick sketch because I need sleep.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm trying out this new digital(?) pen. It was not made for drawing on

Not sure what to do with these but maybe ill use these warm-up sketches as models for fashion drawings, seems like a good idea

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1989: depresso

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A change in meds back in March left me unable to draw for a couple months but another change in meds has me back at it :hellyeah:

Today + Yesterday:

]

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I love this! You got a lot of values w/ just black & white

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Hi, I'm still alive. Working on a piece I abandoned a few years ago and now got inspired to continue working on. A little wip.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

really beautiful stuff on this page. the character designs are great

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Agreed!

SirJohanna: Impressive design / painting!!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1991: A slight redesign of Weiss for a job posting

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Don't have a drawing today but just a question - when I started drawing recently, I had it in my head that being able to accurately draw a face I see so it looks very much like the person, and also to be able to redraw the same character reliably in any pose, were my main goals - but I am wondering, how advanced are those things considered? Capturing people's actual likenesses seems to be something elusive so far, even if the result looks good on its own. Also, I think I didn't consider how much people probably use references to do these things when redrawing characters.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Capturing likeness and caricature are skills all their own.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

#1993: On the year of this entry's number, a stupid girl was born, though she did not know it at the time.

AFistfulOfBitcoins
Feb 11, 2014

roomtone posted:

Don't have a drawing today but just a question - when I started drawing recently, I had it in my head that being able to accurately draw a face I see so it looks very much like the person, and also to be able to redraw the same character reliably in any pose, were my main goals - but I am wondering, how advanced are those things considered? Capturing people's actual likenesses seems to be something elusive so far, even if the result looks good on its own. Also, I think I didn't consider how much people probably use references to do these things when redrawing characters.

It (along with the human figure) is widely considered one of the hardest, if not the hardest skills in art. The way i've heard it is that we see faces so often in our lives everyone is attuned to seeing any mistakes. If you draw a mushroom or a flower a bit weirdly most pople wont be able to tell, but even if they cant explain why, almost everyone can tell when a face looks off. Dont despair tho! While its really hard you arent alone in struggling and there are many recourses available. Drawing the Head and the Hands by Andrew Loomis is a book I found v helpful, but any resource is only a starting point and tbh you are in for a lot of practice either way.

More specifically for capturing a likeness, there's no trick beyond really looking at the features and their placement, and then transcribing that all accurately- much easier said than done and again its something you just need to practice (a lot) really. There's also the problem that translating a face that exists in 3d onto a 2d plane, even with pixel perfect accuracy, often doesnt do the face justice for what you actually see. Sometimes a portrait can look more accurate when you exagerrate or minimise various features. But again, this is something you can only really learn through lots of practice.

I've bought lots of books on drawing faces cos like you I struggle and its the format that works best for me. In addition to Loomis' book I'd also recommend Drawing the Human Head by Burne Hogarth.They both have useful insights and lots of examples of their work in progress.

hope that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

roomtone posted:

It's a big question. It depends on your goals. It's not so hard to draw a celebrity in the style of The Simpsons and have it look recognizably like the real person, if you can recognize and simplify their distinctive qualities. It's also, relatively speaking, quite doable for a beginner to make a nice copy of a still photo of a person, if they are patient and willing to measure out some proportions. But it gets more difficult if you are working with a live model. Then you will really benefit from knowing some stuff about figure drawing and some basic anatomy. And for cartooning, making an on-the-spot caricature is a whole extra layer of complexity. As is animating the character or drawing them in different situations or expressions. Of course, if you want to make a photo-realistic copy, fully-rendered, that involves several skills and is an art unto itself.

Redrawing a character reliably in any pose is probably an intermediate-to-advanced skill. It requires some figure drawing knowledge for sure. The best way to do it is to create a character sheet, where you draw the character "on model" from different positions, so you can refer back to that blueprint no matter what angle you are drawing from. If you are interested in comics or animation, it might also be worth trying to develop some visual shorthand for how you draw the character--when they're far away or the camera is zoomed out, you want to simplify their design somewhat.

It's a high level skill to be able to draw a character in any position solely from imagination. Until you are able to do that, what you can do is look up references for poses to base your drawings on, or photograph yourself or a friend, or even look in a mirror as needed while drawing. Programs like Clip Studio have generic 3D people that you can pose, if that works for you (I have found it clunky so far). For what it's worth, I think Alison Bechdel drew a lot of Fun Home using reference images for her character poses. So figure drawing from imagination, while very valuable, is a skill that is no way a prerequisite to making impactful art.

sketched some plants at my friend's house