Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I guess that’s why everyone was excited here for Age of Wushu, that game was full of that type of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
loving around in mmos was great, I accidentally clipped through the terrain in planetside 1 with my stealth guy and only had the weakest pistol equipped and got stuck inside a wall in an enemy base. so I spent like an hour plinking people in the feet and making them freak out because they couldn't locate the source, then one of the commander-class guys first figured out where I was from the gunshot sounds, then logged onto an alt in my empire, stealthed into the base, located my name tag in its exact location, logged back into his main, and used an Orbital Strike on where I was to kill me

and me and 3 friends kited the flight master, the only means of fast travel in vanilla WoW, from the main horde city to the bottom of the lake in Mount Hyjal(back when it was an inaccessible zone unless you glitched into it) for hours. my friend used his horde alt to demand a 5000g ransom in general chat for its return, and within like 5 minutes a gnome-bodied blizzard admin teleported to us, killed us with Ashbringer(which was a GM-only legendary weapon at the time), and reset the flightmaster

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 21, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i'll never play an mmo
unless someone somehow makes a planetside 1 remake that feels accurate to the original but also doesn't allow for ridiculous client-side cheating bullshit, me neither ever again

I hear ff14 is amazing but I will not play another mmo, never again

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

ff14 is my new favorite ff and thankfully pretty light on the MMO parts of being an MMO but they still linger under the surface and occasionally intrude in ways that might piss you off

still actually worth it tho imo

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

unless someone somehow makes a planetside 1 remake that feels accurate to the original but also doesn't allow for ridiculous client-side cheating bullshit, me neither ever again

if u made your clock speed faster on your processor your character moved faster & shot faster lol

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
never got into age of wushu but the castration griefing sounds wild

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I will play lots of MMOs even the bad ones and nobody can stop me :twisted:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

If you don't own then your entire living experience is going to be dependent on the expectation that the person/company/international mining consortium that owns your residence isn't going to decided one day that they loving hate you and figure out it's cheaper to make you live in misery then do things like 'follow the law'.

There's definitely landlords who treat it like a business and adhere to the social contract because they want happy long term tenants, but the vast majority of them only care about how much money is coming in per month and think things like "broken heat in -20F winter" isn't really a problem.

i like that for the first time you've correctly identified a systemic problem

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

pentyne posted:

wildstar was an amazing mmo thread to see play out because it billed itself as 'classic WoW' style for real capital G gamers and the turned out to be run by people who had no loving clue how to manage an mmo and just kept loving things up harder and harder until it went f2p in slightly over a year.

The worst/funniest part is they had a lot of MMO veteran devs/designers who had really good ideas whose work went to poo poo because their leadership were the kind of guys to randomly declare big ambitious ideas to the media before even talking to their devs about it.

An insane amount of work went into making the stupid warplots pvp feature work, and if that was played by more than 200 people total at all, I'd be surprised. And all that work meant the Raids weren't finished, which lead to the devs loving with levelling and the endgame to buy themselves some time, which both didn't work because nothing was truly timegated, and also pissed off anyone who wanted to play the endgame but had a social life and/or a full time job.

FuturePastNow posted:

People always praise the player housing in Wildstar. How did that work?

You had a big plot of land on a floating island, a couple of plots on that island where you could put your main house (generally a space ship) and things like resource nodes or optional challenge items or stuff like that.

You could freely put props up wherever and they gave you a massive amount of freedom of variety and scale, which along with the very large plot sizes, meant a lot of people had some really creative builds. There was an entire crafting profession set up just to make random furniture parts and other housing models one would want.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Think FFXIV housing but without limited plots and with even more options for customization.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'll never play an mmo

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i'll never play an mmo
the forums are an mmo

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu_2_-DVVEw

this sort of stuff was all over, the skateparks were cool as hell

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
My favorite lovely MMO is probably Wurm Online. It's a survival sandbox game where the objective is to gather resources, level up skills, and build a house/village, but it has one of the worst grinds in any game I've ever played - possibly worse than Runescape. In order to build a basic 1x1 house, you need to chop down a tree, saw logs, make planks, and smith nails, before finally building the house itself. With beginner level skills and tools, most of these actions take 20 seconds each. You need to make 20 planks and one nail (???) per wall, for a total of 80 for the smallest house possible.

20 planks x 2 actions (one for sawing the plank, one for adding it to the house) x 4 walls x 20 seconds = 53 minutes of real life time standing still while an action timer counts down. This is ignoring all the time it takes to do everything else, like leveling out the ground, bringing the materials to your build site, or action failure chances (which start at almost 50%!). Higher level skills and better tools can drastically cut down this time, but you won't have those as a beginner, and if you don't have a house you won't have a place to store your items.

Buildings also have real-time decay, and you need to repair them every now and then, or walls will start collapsing and people can get inside to steal your stuff. This is actually while I like the game, though. Running around the world and exploring abandoned settlements and broken down houses, hoping to steal sweet loot that some other nerd spent dozens of hours making.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

who up grinding on they Wurm

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lmao

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

That DICK! posted:

I wanna see the posts. I’m a hosed up monster let’s go

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Spoggerific posted:

Buildings also have real-time decay, and you need to repair them every now and then, or walls will start collapsing and people can get inside to steal your stuff. This is actually while I like the game, though. Running around the world and exploring abandoned settlements and broken down houses, hoping to steal sweet loot that some other nerd spent dozens of hours making.

lol this brings back memories of battling over IDOC (in danger of collapsing) houses in UO and running off with whatever loot you could scavenge from the chaos of the house falling before one of the pk guilds saw you

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
MMORPGs peaked at Ragnarok Online.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the only good mmo was nexus tk

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Plant MONSTER. posted:

MMORPGs peaked at Ragnarok Online.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol this brings back memories of battling over IDOC (in danger of collapsing) houses in UO and running off with whatever loot you could scavenge from the chaos of the house falling before one of the pk guilds saw you

The real scam was tricking a PK guild with promises of *things* if they kept the site safe for you.

I don’t want the “cool poo poo” I want the fruit basket on the table.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I found Goku pants beer at H Mart

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
west coast or east coast? half a mind to stock my fridge w those

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

the only good mmo was nexus tk

Hell yeah brother. You know it’s still going, right?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
I saw a slow worm today (a legless lizard, not a worm that is slow. it is neither)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Raere posted:

Hell yeah brother. You know it’s still going, right?

lol yes its so cool, like the mmo version of somethingawful. only like a few hundred active players or something.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Remembering the RO private server where I got deranged PMs from dudes telling me I didn't earn the right to be friends with their guild's Known Woman player and that I should stop talking to her immediately. She caught wind of that and was upset, so we decided to get in-game married (you could do that) to piss them off. They only calmed down after finding out I'm gay so it didn't count or w/e

But also how creepy is that? Angry scornful nerds who try to stake claims onto others (women).

I hope she's doing some cool like playing video games.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
girl talking during the halo match and confusing all the dudes as i gun them all down and get an ultra kill

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Remembering the RO private server where I got deranged PMs from dudes telling me I didn't earn the right to be friends with their guild's Known Woman player and that I should stop talking to her immediately. She caught wind of that and was upset, so we decided to get in-game married (you could do that) to piss them off. They only calmed down after finding out I'm gay so it didn't count or w/e

But also how creepy is that? Angry scornful nerds who try to stake claims onto others (women).

I hope she's doing some cool like playing video games.

The way dudes acted around and treated women in games and particularly mmos was truly deranged and hasn't gotten much better.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fajita Queen posted:

The way dudes acted around and treated women in games and particularly mmos was truly deranged and hasn't gotten much better.

Goons in GTA:O on PS4 were the best group I ever played online games with. Every other group, goon or not, has been exactly as you described.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Looking back the most fun I had in WoW was using that Easter item that would turn you into a rabbit critter. Me and my friend transformed and then snuck into Undercity and sat on the throne. We had about fifteen minutes of people reacting with delight and dancing and stuff and then a guy came along and killed us. I mean, fair enough, it coulda been an Australia situation, you can't just let rabbits in anywhere.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

rodbeard posted:

I found Goku pants beer at H Mart

$22 for a 4 pack :pwn:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

Goons in GTA:O on PS4 were the best group I ever played online games with. Every other group, goon or not, has been exactly as you described.

Thankfully our classic WoW guild has been great about rejecting sexism and other gross poo poo, Pragmatica made it and set the culture for it and selected officers who would continue it that way. It's easily the best goon gaming group I've ever played anything with, and really stands out against how awful the rest of the online gaming space is.

It really sucks that something which should be the baseline for expectations is so outstanding.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

You’re seiyan it!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

paying over 5 bucks for a can of beer is insane, that's more expensive than most bars charge.

Maybe it's made with senzu beans

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

puzzle pirates is the best mmo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

For 4% alcohol too lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

pog boyfriend posted:

puzzle pirates is the best mmo

I loved that game but only socially played alongside IRL folk. I heard it got destroyed by some update like a million years ago?