Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Watching The Mother on Netflix and ten minutes in there's a scene where Lady and Dude are yelling at each other in a car, but she sounds like she's in a small room while he has a weird metal echo like he's yelling at her in a garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Eclipse12 posted:

I can't take Rutger Hauer's character in Blade Runner seriously because his name is Roy Batty.

its the best name for him imo

its a dumb loving world presented as real, so of course he has a dumb name. much like our world has people with dumb names making impacts #wow #whoa

great movie because of that

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Fast X is pretty much a perfect entry in the series but for one thing:

There are at least three perfect moments where someone could have said "fasTen your seatbelt(s)" and yet they never did. By the third time I believed they were doing it deliberately. How's it go? Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, thrice is enemy action?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phanatic posted:

So, I watched Sisu.

And it's just too over the loving top. I mean, it's John Wick in Finland 1944 trying to keep his gold safe from the Nazis, but it's just *too* ridiculous. I mean, if the Russian mob goons were shooting at John Wick and he just turned out to be immune from bullets like Superman and the bullets were bouncing off him and he just jumped into the sky and flew away, it'd have been a bad movie, and this is almost but not quite that ridiculous as that would have been. If you want to show me some tough-as-nails Finnish guy lurking out in the snow and just killing hundreds of Nazis, great, I'll watch a movie about Simo Häyhä any day. But when they're unloading on this motherfucker with machine guns and he's deflecting the bullets with the pan he was using to hunt for gold, it's silly. When he's using some dead dude's body to protect himself from heavy machine gun rounds, it's silly. When he's holding himself to the body of an airplane in flight using a pickaxe, it's silly. When he's completely invisible to the Nazi column he's attacking, it's silly.

And *yes*, John Wick is silly, all the Rambo movies except the first one were silly, comic book movies are silly, and they're all *fine*. But this just takes things too far. I'm prepared for bullshit, but even bullshit has its own rules, and once you set your rules you're not allowed to violate them. Sisu violates its own rules and it could have been a way better movie.

(It was still fun and really pretty. It could still have been a much better movie.)

For me the scene that went too far was the hanging where he just survives being hanged for way too long before actually doing something about the whole not being able to breathe thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phanatic posted:

So, I watched Sisu.

And it's just too over the loving top. I mean, it's John Wick in Finland 1944 trying to keep his gold safe from the Nazis, but it's just *too* ridiculous. I mean, if the Russian mob goons were shooting at John Wick and he just turned out to be immune from bullets like Superman and the bullets were bouncing off him and he just jumped into the sky and flew away, it'd have been a bad movie

Ah, so you've watched the sequels then?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I like the idea that to deal with the undead you just need to be firm.
It's an old game, but King of Dragon Pass is basically a game where you manage a bronze age ish tribe in a magical setting. In one event, ghosts show up and start haunting one of your villagers houses. One of the actions you can take is to sue them to get them to leave, but you can lose if your Lawspeaker sucks at their job. (You can also tell the villager to move, burn down the house, ask the ghost why it's there, or if you have an appropriate devotee of the right God, bribe or banish them).

The lawsuit is the funniest option though.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 14:13 on May 20, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Jedit posted:

At least in the John Wick sequels the "bulletproof but it's thin so you're still going to feel it" suit metamaterial is mentioned.

Plus the bad guys also get similar upgrades.

With a perfect Keanu Reeves "Ah. Upgrades." moment to sell it.

stringless has a new favorite as of 14:15 on May 20, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

It's an old game, but King of Dragon Pass is basically a game where you manage a bronze age ish tribe in a magical setting. In one event, ghosts show up and start haunting one of your villagers houses. One of the actions you can take is to sue them to get them to leave, but you can lose if your Lawspeaker sucks at their job. (You can also tell the villager to move, burn down the house, ask the ghost why it's there, or if you have an appropriate devotee of the right God, bribe or banish them).

The lawsuit is the funniest option though.

While the lawsuit is the funniest, that just going "So... why are you here anyways?" in response to a ghost haunting is refreshingly obvious and also hilariously underused.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Randalor posted:

While the lawsuit is the funniest, that just going "So... why are you here anyways?" in response to a ghost haunting is refreshingly obvious and also hilariously underused.
Pretty sure it also has the chance of the best outcome! (You can pay the ghosts to give you some magic).

Also sometimes other ghosts show up to yell at you about how they did things better back in their day and you're loving it all up. Or, if one of your council is too fond of making dumb proverbs up, they show up to bitch that he is an idiot and it's really annoying them to have to listen to their proverbial poo poo. In both cases, you can scold the ancestor spirits for showing up and scaring the clanspeople for frivolous reasons.

Basically, yeah, just swatting the undead on the nose and telling them to gently caress off works surprisingly well.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I have always said that if I am haunted I will try to molest the ghost. I didn't consent to the haunting, they didn't consent for me going for the crotch-bits of their ectoplasm, even steven.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jedit posted:

I watched 2. It was pretty. I haven't been able to get through 3. I've tried twice, and by the time they get to the scene with the dogs I'm just done with the tedium of it.

The thing that bugs me the most about the sequels is that the original has one of the best character moments in film and they don't call any attention to it, they just do it. The Russian mob boss knows that his son hosed up and is a dead man walking, and there's nothing he can do about it. But goddammit, it's his *son*, and even if he doesn't like the kid and thinks he's a stupid prick it's his responsibility to try to protect his son. So he spends his organization's blood and treasure in this almost certainly futile effort to kill his son alive.

But then the instant Wick has a gun to *his* head, he gives up his son. Instantly, reflexively, the rapidity with which he betrays the son he was trying so hard to save seems to surprise even him. He's not the man he thought he was. And then he spends the rest of the move drinking himself into insensibility to cope with this realization. It's brilliant, it's subtle, and the sequels didn't bring anything even approaching it to the table.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Icelandic folklore the surefire way to deal with the undead is to insult them.

That or wrestling.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Poldarn posted:

I have always said that if I am haunted I will try to molest the ghost. I didn't consent to the haunting, they didn't consent for me going for the crotch-bits of their ectoplasm, even steven.

Oh, no, don't molest Steven, he had a hard enough lift as it is!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Monkey posted:

ok but he was a Count.

D wasn't a count, he was a boyar.

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1653830750184038401

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While there are a lot of IIMM in Fast X but one that really bugged me was there's a scene near the end where a character talks about something being 7 kilometers away and then later updates it to 3. Then after an action scene the same character switches to using miles. It just feels extremely sloppy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

that's not what I heard

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

muscles like this! posted:

While there are a lot of IIMM in Fast X but one that really bugged me was there's a scene near the end where a character talks about something being 7 kilometers away and then later updates it to 3. Then after an action scene the same character switches to using miles. It just feels extremely sloppy.

One of the most aggravating IIMMs I have about otherwise perfect movie Deep Blue Sea is when someone says that the fences around the facility are eight feet tall, give or take a centimeter.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

One of the most aggravating IIMMs I have about otherwise perfect movie Deep Blue Sea is when someone says that the fences around the facility are eight feet tall, give or take a centimeter.

Eh, they could be saying it's only a centimeter margin of error as opposed to a full inch. That works still.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

BioEnchanted posted:

Eh, they could be saying it's only a centimeter margin of error as opposed to a full inch. That works still.

An inch would save 3 syllables or half inch would save 2. That's poor economical use of speech. I can actually see how it's irritating though. Like saying something is 20ml short of a quart. Also though, I worked with a guy that would have been so pissed off at me if I'd have said a couple cm when he wanted to know how much more was needed and I'd have likely been fired laughing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can't loving believe there's been TEN loving movies starring Vin Diesel that seem to basically amount to "cars go fast". I've only seen one of them. It's a series that I can't grasp the popularity of but that may say more about me since I feel the same way about the John Wick series. I tried with both - I really did - since I had heard good things but Christ almighty the latter just seems like a wall to wall movie about inventing creative ways to shoot motherfuckers. Two entire incredibly popular film franchises centered around driving fast and (correctly) using firearms.

I find the two I've tried to watch utterly exhausting to sit through but I guess people REALLY love guns and fast cars.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

BioEnchanted posted:

Mixing units is abomination, so sayeth the lord

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't loving believe there's been TEN loving movies starring Vin Diesel that seem to basically amount to "cars go fast".
Nine. He wasn't in the second one lol

I've been ride or die on them since the first one; they're great fun. There's a great callback to the end of 2F2F around the middle of X when they get all their money hacked away that I saw coming immediately and immediately paid off.

stringless has a new favorite as of 00:08 on May 21, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't loving believe there's been TEN loving movies starring Vin Diesel that seem to basically amount to "cars go fast". I've only seen one of them. It's a series that I can't grasp the popularity of but that may say more about me since I feel the same way about the John Wick series. I tried with both - I really did - since I had heard good things but Christ almighty the latter just seems like a wall to wall movie about inventing creative ways to shoot motherfuckers. Two entire incredibly popular film franchises centered around driving fast and (correctly) using firearms.

I find the two I've tried to watch utterly exhausting to sit through but I guess people REALLY love guns and fast cars.

Sometimes the cars go to space, Vin Diesel causes earthquakes and the Rock pulls helicopters out of the sky, from my understanding.

Your take on John Wick implies that that's a bad thing and I don't understand. They are stunt showcases with bonus outrageous lore and world-building. What more do you want out of an action franchise?

And it's not all shooting! John Wick has killed people with books, horses, swords, and (a loving) pencil.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 00:14 on May 21, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

i call them the male version of the romcom: you know exactly what is going to happen. You know the formula. but it makes billions so they keep making stupid movies about guns and fast cars, and movies with a Nice Guy who can be fixed by a Super Special Main Character Lady.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FFT posted:

Nine. He wasn't in the second one lol

Or the 3rd.

Franky the F&F movies are great as long as you go in knowing that you're going to get some of the dumbest cinema ever to grace the screen, but some of which the actors are totally going all-in for. They also want to make a movie where car go fast and it shows in how simply goofily endearing all the nonsense is

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Or the 3rd.
He's in the 3rd at the end. I guess it'd be difficult to describe him as "starring" in the 3rd, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The Mother: Interrogating a prisoner, she punches the guy in the face like thirteen times with barb wire wrapped around her fist. When that doesn't work, she pulls his shirt over his head and dumps a single bottle of booze over it and he immediately breaks.

I know waterboarding sucks, but come on.

Also in The Mother: Bad guy finds MANY of his pals dead. Instead of raising any alarm, calling for backup, doing anything, he just slowly walks out into the open, walks outside, walks more into the open, and is killed, and it's definitely not supposed to be a suicide but what the gently caress else is this NPC loving doing

credburn has a new favorite as of 07:59 on May 21, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sometimes the cars go to space, Vin Diesel causes earthquakes and the Rock pulls helicopters out of the sky, from my understanding.

Also, every movie until the seventh one chronological happens before the third movie.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Also, every movie until the seventh one chronological happens before the third movie.

What????

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a character that dies in the third one but it's a popular character so they bring him back in the next few movies. The explanation is that those movies take place before the third one where he died.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Biplane posted:

What????

About the only thing that people liked about Tokyo Drift was Han. But he dies in that movie. So in order to keep him in the franchise as long as possible, Fast&Furious 4-6 happens before Tokyo Drift.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BiggerBoat posted:

Guns and cars are inherently Cinematic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Fast and Furious movies are completely insane. Dom has like three evil sibling we've never heard of before they're introduced in the movies, Paul Walker's character is still alive, he just out of frame, characters has come back from dead, lost their memories, some goes from being good guys to being bad guys and vice versa and in, I think the ninth movie, it is stated that they are immortal.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Alhazred posted:

About the only thing that people liked about Tokyo Drift was Han. But he dies in that movie. So in order to keep him in the franchise as long as possible, Fast&Furious 4-6 happens before Tokyo Drift.

Okay well first of all, Tokyo Drift is amazing. And second of all, holy poo poo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Alhazred posted:

The Fast and Furious movies are completely insane. Dom has like three evil sibling we've never heard of before they're introduced in the movies, Paul Walker's character is still alive, he just out of frame, characters has come back from dead, lost their memories, some goes from being good guys to being bad guys and vice versa and in, I think the ninth movie, it is stated that they are immortal.
Brian O'Conner is also there just out of frame, laughing too with his kids that Mia apparently isn't too concerned about. Another character also turns out to be alive at the end of FasTen.

And Roman's the one that says they must be immortal, but that's also shortly after he's gotten a significant amount of positive evidence in favor of the idea. And anyway, no one ever believes Roman. Even after he pulls their asses out of the fire by not being hungry he stlil gets no respect.

stringless has a new favorite as of 10:05 on May 21, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You are forgetting the best part of the FastFurious movies.

In one of them, the Rock flexes his muscles so hard he breaks out of a cast, then shoots a helicopter gun at Vin Diesel and Jason Statham having a fight on a car park.

Also the worst, yet funniest to me part of all of them.
Vin Diesel has it written into the contract of every movie he does that he can NEVER lose a fistfight. Ever. Nor can he be seen to have been beaten, or have his opponent standing over him. This he gets written into his loving contract.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

BrigadierSensible posted:

This he gets written into his loving contract.
I love every single time that a worker gets this kind of pull. I’d specify that only literal Muppets are allowed to knock on my trailer door.

The Rock has a similar, perhaps identical clause.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

They used a simplified version of See You Again (Brian's send-off song at the end of Furious 7) as a leitmotif when they talked about Brian in FasTen. I still choked up a bit.

stringless has a new favorite as of 10:21 on May 21, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fred Williamson (star of Black Cæsar, Hell Up in Harlem, and Hammer) apparently had a similar clause in his contract in the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I made sure to include an identical clause in my waffle house employment contract, now I'm guaranteed a big payout.