Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
We’ll breach is a lot of things but it sure isn’t boring.

The goal is just to run around and kill everything possible and open clasped hands right? My first breach death came at the hands of some guy standing in the middle of the ring channeling a giant pillar of light into the sky and I touched it for some reason

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Very rarely a Breachlord will spawn (will be indicated by a hand icon on the minimap), definitely try to kill him, because he will spit out splinters relative to how much damage you've done to him, and far more than you'd get from a Clasped Hand. Otherwise, yeah, what you said is the gist of running Breaches.

Also try to stay near the edge but inside the breach. Monsters spawn right on the circumference of the Breach, but they have a short window where they're active (i.e. can hurt you) but basically invisible and unable to be damaged by you. If you stick 1 or 2 character lengths away from the edge you shouldn't have that problem.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 21, 2023

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

whypick1 posted:

Very rarely a Breachlord will spawn (will be indicated by a hand icon on the minimap), definitely try to kill him, because he will spit out splinters relative to how much damage you've done to him, and far more than you'd get from a Clasped Hand. Otherwise, yeah, what you said is the gist of running Breaches.

I’ve seen two of those breachlord guys I think. One killed me, the other I either killed or it despawned I dunno. I have all the breach map passives now except the one that speeds up the ring expansion/contraction (why would anyone want that?)

Had 2 divine drop and an exalted on back to back corrupted beach maps so I think I’m gonna go ring shopping a bit later

I had a whole bar of xp towards 97 until that rear end in a top hat killed me lol

E: My kid was watching me play and asked if the monsters in the breach were called “breachures” and I said if they aren’t, they should be. She seems interested in the game because she watched one of those dumb top 10 YouTube videos that said this game was “worth sinking thousands of hours into” (it was #5 on the list).

E: wait I just read breach doesn’t give xp? Is that true because if so this is a waste of my time.

EE: no that’s a spell called Vaal breach that will open a breach but you get no xp or items. What would be the point of that?

Also time for my daily dumb question:
-There’s a thing that happens when enemies die sometimes. Large elemental circles appear that stack over top of each other and explode a few seconds later. The elemental versions are colored by to their matching elements while the chaos version looks like big purple bubbles/growths: This kills me if I get caught in it which isn’t a problem on open maps but if I hit a dead end on say - thicket or something, it’s a huge pain in the rear end. Wtf is this and how do I prevent it?

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 21, 2023

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Theoretically I'd think vaal breach exists for people to get on kill effects like headhunter mods during boss fights, realistically I think you just don't do uber bossing on builds that need an ongoing chain of kills to function.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You avoid those on death effects by learning to position better and move better, basically. You get used to it eventually and stop putting yourself in untenable positions.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

totalnewbie posted:

You avoid those on death effects by learning to position better and move better, basically. You get used to it eventually and stop putting yourself in untenable positions.

Ok so that’s a thing that gets everyone and not just my build

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Einwand posted:

Theoretically I'd think vaal breach exists for people to get on kill effects like headhunter mods during boss fights, realistically I think you just don't do uber bossing on builds that need an ongoing chain of kills to function.

I assume it's also to get the double effects from Breach Rings at-will, not that anyone's using that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

goferchan posted:

I assume it's also to get the double effects from Breach Rings at-will, not that anyone's using that

i remember equipping a breach ring as an actual upgrade in the mayhem event during the last month of kalandra and it was like "This feels very wrong"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

Ok so that’s a thing that gets everyone and not just my build

Sort of. Part of why freezing enemies is handy is that they "shatter" when they die which stops some (but not all) on-death effects. I think there's also a unique or something that lets your fire damage do an equivalent? But i forget

edit: Oh it's a cluster jewel skill, Cremator.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I just spawned into jungle valley and died instantly with no monsters around. No health loss or anything just instantly “you set dead”

Lol gently caress you game

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Invisible monster bug?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Hey Frank Frank one thing I just got done and you haven't done yet, I just bought some geodes that rolled the forge that lets you put a crucible tree on uniques, and I added a tree to my Cold Iron Point and my Replica Mistwall, not sure if anything crazy can roll on some uniques or anything but it's something else to do.. but it can't be a corrupted unique so no using corrupted ones with nice implicits either

One node is gonna give me a % increased int, which is nice, and then one node on the shield is going to give 100% to avoid shock, +20% to be frozen, but I have a heat flask in my belt

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Tenkaris posted:

Hey Frank Frank one thing I just got done and you haven't done yet, I just bought some geodes that rolled the forge that lets you put a crucible tree on uniques, and I added a tree to my Cold Iron Point and my Replica Mistwall, not sure if anything crazy can roll on some uniques or anything but it's something else to do.. but it can't be a corrupted unique so no using corrupted ones with nice implicits either

One node is gonna give me a % increased int, which is nice, and then one node on the shield is going to give 100% to avoid shock, +20% to be frozen, but I have a heat flask in my belt

Yeah I gave up trying to figure out crucible but I know you can modify unique weapons with it somehow

Just sent that guy my 5 div offer for that ring. Wish me luck. Increased int or an elemental immunity would be crazy helpful

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 21, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
yeah the mobs randomly can drop geodes that cannot be modified at all so you are stuck praying or buying ones with the mod you want, I just bought 2 with the unique forge to get it done

also the mobs in there suck and I just ran past them dropping portals because it seemed easy to die and there are lots of poo poo mods like cannot block/suppress/regen/leech/gain flask charges

it's pretty poo poo lol, I ate a death or two just doing this dumb poo poo for menial gains :D

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Tenkaris posted:

yeah the mobs randomly can drop geodes that cannot be modified at all so you are stuck praying or buying ones with the mod you want, I just bought 2 with the unique forge to get it done

also the mobs in there suck and I just ran past them dropping portals because it seemed easy to die and there are lots of poo poo mods like cannot block/suppress/regen/leech/gain flask charges

it's pretty poo poo lol, I ate a death or two just doing this dumb poo poo for menial gains :D

I took one or two or them to lethal but no geodes ever dropped and as you mentioned, it’s a pain in the rear end.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

I took one or two or them to lethal but no geodes ever dropped and as you mentioned, it’s a pain in the rear end.

Oh drat you're not using any crucible trees at all, are you? It's not a particularly fun league mechanic but does have an extremely high power ceiling. Go ahead and buy a Primeval Remnant with "adds a crucible tree to an uncorrupted unique item" (only like 20c even on console) and roll the dice and see what you get. Don't worry about the monster mods, you can literally just run past everything before it spawns and go straight to the crucible forge where no monsters will bother you (Crucible is kind of poorly thought out)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

goferchan posted:

Oh drat you're not using any crucible trees at all, are you? It's not a particularly fun league mechanic but does have an extremely high power ceiling. Go ahead and buy a Primeval Remnant with "adds a crucible tree to an uncorrupted unique item" (only like 20c even on console) and roll the dice and see what you get. Don't worry about the monster mods, you can literally just run past everything before it spawns and go straight to the crucible forge where no monsters will bother you (Crucible is kind of poorly thought out)

Can I reroll if I don’t like what I get? If not I have a backup cold iron point and I don’t think the mistwall was super expensive either

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

No. You can only remove trees from non-unique items and you need a Remnant from a Crystalline Geode to forge unique items.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

whypick1 posted:

No. You can only remove trees from non-unique items and you need a Remnant from a Crystalline Geode to forge unique items.

So like I can “scour” it off if I by removing the tree if don’t like what I get and use a new remnant to try again?

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 21, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Again, you can't remove trees from unique items. If the outcome is total crap all of your options involve getting another copy and trying again.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

whypick1 posted:

Again, you can't remove trees from unique items. If the outcome is total crap all of your options involve getting another copy and trying again.

Ok well cold iron points are pretty cheap so I can just reroll. Sorry I misunderstood. Missed the “non” in your reply

Honestly anything would be a help. Elemental effect immunity or +str or int would be great. Even +resist. Anything but +dex or mana regen

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

Ok well cold iron points are pretty cheap so I can just reroll. Sorry I misunderstood. Missed the “non” in your reply

Honestly anything would be a help. Elemental effect immunity or +str or int would be great. Even +resist. Anything but +dex or mana regen

There are some upside/downside Crucible nodes where the downside can be pretty bad but a patch post-launch made it so they never show up as your first node on an item, so unlocking the Crucible tree should never actually hurt you.

Edit:
Scouring unassigns a node but it doesn't reroll your whole tree. To do that you'll either need to buy a new CIP and roll a tree on that. Eventually if you get really into upgrading trees on uniques you'll need to buy multiple CIPs, reveal the trees on them, then buy the (more expensive, around 1div) Crucible remnant that lets you merge the trees on two of the same unique items. It's potentially expensive and time consuming but can have some pretty crazy payoffs.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 21, 2023

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

goferchan posted:

There are some upside/downside Crucible nodes where the downside can be pretty bad but a patch post-launch made it so they never show up as your first node on an item, so unlocking the Crucible tree should never actually hurt you.

I messed with it a little in the beginning and iirc if you don’t fully unlock the node, you don’t get hit with the debuff so once you reveal it, you can just stop if you don’t like what it says, right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

I messed with it a little in the beginning and iirc if you don’t fully unlock the node, you don’t get hit with the debuff so once you reveal it, you can just stop if you don’t like what it says, right?

I think when you reveal the tree on a unique the first node is automatically assigned but like I said, it shouldn't be one with a downside anymore, so even if it's a useless upside it won't hurt you

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I think CIPs are like 10-15c so I can fish for a bit until I get something I want

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I don't think anyone's even fully cracked how crucible works but basically the mods have tiers, and if you combine the trees of two items with the same mods in the same position you have some chance (but not a guarantee) of combining them to upgrade the mod. You are also more likely to retain/upgrade mods that you've actually allocated when you combine two trees, but again, nothing is guaranteed. Uniques make doing this a lot more expensive because you have to use the special remnant to combine them and they have to be combined with the same unique; rares are easier because you can combine any Claw with any other Claw for example.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Frank Frank posted:

EE: no that’s a spell called Vaal breach that will open a breach but you get no xp or items. What would be the point of that?

Vaal breach spell can very rarely spawn lords which help with achievements if killing lords is one of them.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Orbs of regret(?) are easy enough to come by. Why not just swap to breach? I’m having fun with it. I think this is the 4th or 5th mechanic I’ve engaged with and man, the huge screen-wide explosions are fun as heck. The only problem is peering through the smoke to see if there’s something that’s going to murder me before it clears

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
You use orbs of Unmaking to refund Atlas passives, which you probably have a decent number of. You can also by them from Kirac for two regrets (which is maybe what you were talking about).

The general consensus is that Breach isn't great for making money, outside of some specific high-end combos, I think. But as always, the most valuable mechanic is the one you enjoy, so try it out if you want.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Noper Q posted:

You use orbs of Unmaking to refund Atlas passives, which you probably have a decent number of
Hundreds. That’s how I spec’ed out of heist and into breach, and out of betrayal before that. I’m not hurting for those.

quote:

The general consensus is that Breach isn't great for making money, outside of some specific high-end combos, I think. But as always, the most valuable mechanic is the one you enjoy, so try it out if you want.

It’s good for xp and I need the challenge points so I’ll probably do that until I fill those and then switch to legion(?)

I’m just flipping channels right now until something grabs me

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 21, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Why not just swap to breach?

Because you can pop Vaal Breach way more times than the number of Breach encounters that can possibly spawn in a map.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

Hundreds. That’s how I spec’ed out of heist and into breach, and out of betrayal before that. I’m not hurting for those.

It’s good for xp and I need the challenge points so I’ll probably do that until I fill those and then switch to legion(?)

I’m just flipping channels right now until something grabs me

Have you done the actual breachstones from combining 100 splinters yet? Those give an area-wide XP bonus like Syndicate save houses do and (combined with Abyss) are how I made it to 98 on my Blade Vortex guy last league. Also, look into Abyss if your focus is XP -- it spawns so many monsters and has lots of Atlas nodes right near the Breach ones.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I just spent the last 20 minutes farting around the online trade market and can’t seem to find primeval remnants. What category are they under? Surprised there isn’t a crucible category tbh. I only see crystalline geodes and igneous geodes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

I just spent the last 20 minutes farting around the online trade market and can’t seem to find primeval remnants. What category are they under? Surprised there isn’t a crucible category tbh. I only see crystalline geodes and igneous geodes.

Here you go, filtered to the ones that work on uniques. It's categorized as a map on the site

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Igneous geodes are the lower tier ones that you open to get a random map, crystalline geodes are the higher tier ones that you open to get a random map. Primordial remnants are the opened maps for the higher tier one, Primeval Remnant are the lower tier opened maps. Maybe no one is selling opened geodes on PS4? Might just have to buy some igneous geodes and see what you get, in my experience the chance to get one that lets you put a tree on a unique is pretty common.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Ah they’re under “misc map items” in the in-game market interface

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
First attempt at a cold iron point was…not very good. I’m going to try again. I killed all the map creatures for the gently caress of it. The jumping spider things were kinda annoying but nothing terrible.

Some random bow dropped in that forge place that has zero negative crucible mods and I got absolute horseshit on the dagger

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 21, 2023

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh yeah, Frank Frank, I forgot to mention that your cast when damage taken gem is too high level.

Think about how much hp you need to lose before it activates - it's almost all of your entire health pool. Instead, you want it to be lower level so it will trigger when you lose maybe 1/4-1/3rd of your health. Unfortunately, this means your guard skill also needs to be lower level but it's much better this way.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goferchan posted:

Sort of. Part of why freezing enemies is handy is that they "shatter" when they die which stops some (but not all) on-death effects. I think there's also a unique or something that lets your fire damage do an equivalent? But i forget

edit: Oh it's a cluster jewel skill, Cremator.

Also the Pyre Sapphire Ring, ignited enemies killed are destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Just figured out why people keep buying cinderswallow flasks. It's the only way to get the veiled flask modifiers on your crafting bench

Hilariously, since it's the only veiled flask out there that I know of, those veiled flask modifiers are only good for the cinderswallow flask itself making attempting to get them all pretty pointless unless there's a challenge tied to it.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 21, 2023