Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mzbundifund posted:

I have toyed with the idea of making a mod that just adds dead-end versions of some of the intermediate zombie evolutions. So like an athletic zombie would have a 50/50 chance of evolving into a zombie brute that is capable of evolving into a hulk, and a 50/50 of evolving into a zombie brute that is not. The two versions of brute would look identical to the player in-game, but after enough in-game time the enemies would be 50% brutes, 50% hulks, instead of 100% hulks. It would solve the Oops All Superbosses lategame, and would be (relatively) easy to code, I just don’t realistically have the time to make or maintain such a thing.

Gonna add this to everything:
pre:
 "upgrades": { "half_life": 14, "into": "mon_razorclaw" },

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

I have toyed with the idea of making a mod that just adds dead-end versions of some of the intermediate zombie evolutions. So like an athletic zombie would have a 50/50 chance of evolving into a zombie brute that is capable of evolving into a hulk, and a 50/50 of evolving into a zombie brute that is not. The two versions of brute would look identical to the player in-game, but after enough in-game time the enemies would be 50% brutes, 50% hulks, instead of 100% hulks. It would solve the Oops All Superbosses lategame, and would be (relatively) easy to code, I just don’t realistically have the time to make or maintain such a thing.

Please, someone who does have the time, do this, I beg you. Hell if it's something that can easily be done by copypaste+editing code (aka not-actually-a-coder-editing) point me at the relevant bits so I can reverse engineer and tell me how to make the changes into a mod.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Incompetent Blob mod, where sometimes monsters evolve into more competent, capable killers like you see, and sometimes you run into evolutionary dead ends like a zombie that keeps tripping over itself or one that only has claws on its neck or one that explodes into acid at random instead of on proximity. Just running into the mutations that aren't going to propagate, but sometimes evolution gives you useless mutants.
5% chance for a zombie hulk to evolve into a completely normal rabbit.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

No you see the blob supposed to be a vast multi-dimensional intelligence and the game should be unplayable after a couple years.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Xand_Man posted:

No you see the blob supposed to be a vast multi-dimensional intelligence and the game should be unplayable after a couple years.

I hate pretty much everything about the blob tbh. I am normally heavily in bed with the idea that stuff should be explained/fluffed out but they just kinda made the ultimate uncareing evil sound like something a 3rd grader came up with.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's changed over time, but I've always liked it when it was the blob just doesn't care. You and humanity as a whole is too small to care about. Now it's more making lutenants and stuff, but to what end? Humans lost the moment the dimension broke, if not when the blob escaped.

It already has over run earth.

But they really don't like the idea of long term survival and adaptation in a sandbox game, I guess.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You know, I've come to the decision that I think basically every start should come with a backpack, cause like, otherwise it seems like no matter what the character it turns into "run off to where you can grind tailoring for some very basic storage" rather than actually making use of the benefits of a given start.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just go looking for storage clothes along with all the other stuff you want?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I've never been in a situation other than innawood where there was not all kinds of storage readily available.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

curtains to bags always works.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Trash bags are everywhere now too and you can stack 10 to make a reinforced one that makes a great swag bag, easy to carry and easy to drop.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

But they really don't like the idea of long term survival and adaptation in a sandbox game, I guess.

I was thinking about this after trying to build my mobile armored-RV. It took so goddamned long that I can't imagine it being particularly useful in most runs.

Honestly it makes sense from the perspective of a roguelike. Three-rune runs in DCSS take a few hours, and so when you die it sucks but it is tolerable to lose that time investment. At this point I'm savescumming hard because if I lost my file I would probably just... not play again for a long bit. There's so many cool things to do and try and interact with, but some things take so long I wonder how many people regularly reach them playing "normally". It's just hard to rectify suoer complex and deep systems with long payoffs and high-difficulty with strong monster progression and ironman modes. There's a reason DCSS has trimmed so many features and it's because a bunch of stuff was kinda pointless when most runs ended before you could really dig into it.

thin wafer cookie
Mar 17, 2023

It's changed over time, but I've always liked it when it was the blob just doesn't care. You and humanity as a whole is too small to care about. Now it's more making lutenants and stuff, but to what end? Humans lost the moment the dimension broke, if not when the blob escaped.

It already has over run earth.

The blob seems like he was originally just supposed to be a literary device for the plot that they started leaning on more and more to explain things to the point where he's now apparently a malevolent third world dictator or whatever; I read a lot of these lore updates the same time I first encountered the exodii and at first I really hated both. Now the exodii are alright but man I wish they would just poo poo or get off the pot with the blob

When I read about the blob's lieutenants I assumed it was an =actual endgame= but none of that poo poo is implemented (and may, deliberately, never be!) so instead it's just someone's bad contribution to the SCP wiki

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Afaik the only thing that has changed about the blob in the last 6 or 7 years is that it's no longer associated with the little slime monsters and is now subatomic in scale. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that there's a bunch of new lore there. That stuff about liutenants is ancient, and the zombie necromancers have always been intelligent extensions of its will.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've discovered .454 is oddly the most useful large pistol caliber I've run into. Most of them kinda suck; .500 uses valuable primers for handloading and it's too big, slow, and awkward to do a pistol's job at all, for instance. But a .454 is surprisingly easy to keep reloading the shells on and works great so far.

.357 would probably be more practical overall, but using a bear pistol on mutants and horrors feels appropriate.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

A cdda without vehicles wouldn't be cdda.

Nomad wayfarer is good fun, especially if you (like me :c00lbutt:) are cool enough to never play on more than ~20% loot. You can still use draggable vehicles, so shopping cart technicals remain legal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

JerikTelorian posted:

I was thinking about this after trying to build my mobile armored-RV. It took so goddamned long that I can't imagine it being particularly useful in most runs.

Yeah a fully custom build death mobile is just too much work. This is why I traditionally just find a VW Type-2 (aka a "Hippie Van") and just convert that into a compact RV. I don't really add much armor though, mostly just to the front to protect from occasional impacts. My usual method of operation is to just park it on the outskirts of a town and unload a compact, folding, battery powered rideable/pullable loot cart.

Honestly I pick the Hippie van mostly just for the amusing visual image in my head.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 21, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like “lieutenant” is a bad word for them because it implies they’re actively taking orders from the blob and not just guys getting arbitrarily juiced the hell up and let loose to their own devices

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I just caught up with the thread and all the chat about sky island mod, and I just wanna say, this game is so cool. I wish it was good

Bright Nights scratches the itch enough, but I wish a lot of systems were overhauled in it still, books for one.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

worm girl posted:

Afaik the only thing that has changed about the blob in the last 6 or 7 years is that it's no longer associated with the little slime monsters and is now subatomic in scale. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that there's a bunch of new lore there. That stuff about liutenants is ancient, and the zombie necromancers have always been intelligent extensions of its will.

Yeah but this thread is 10 years old alone, and some of us still are used to what the lore was back then. Also it isn't like the average player gets the lore thrown at them very much either. We just went off what we pieced off of the terminals and stuff back then.

Pigbuster posted:

I feel like “lieutenant” is a bad word for them because it implies they’re actively taking orders from the blob and not just guys getting arbitrarily juiced the hell up and let loose to their own devices

Yeah, I think of this more, but honestly I could care less what the official lore is anyways, I'm going to mod it as much as possible to be scifi/fantasy fun times and ignore their mid school level plots as best I can so I can focus on enjoying what's left of the sandbox.

Pacra posted:

I just caught up with the thread and all the chat about sky island mod, and I just wanna say, this game is so cool. I wish it was good

Bright Nights scratches the itch enough, but I wish a lot of systems were overhauled in it still, books for one.

How is bright nights, last I used it (Years ago) it clashed a bit, making the world into a halfway version of their vision that was a bit jarring at times. Cata++ so far in my game has scratched my need for laser guns as well and fitting in more.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I haven't played BN in over a year, but at the time it really fit my sensibilities more. That said it's way behind the curve in terms of content and it lacks the coding/modding flexibility DDA has been working on. I can't imagine it's caught up since.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Doh, I got aftershock and bright nights mixed up then. Yeah, BN is really behind, and after last time worm girl noted that there were some rather unsavory devs I just went back to CDDA experimental.

Also new features are a lot of fun.

edit: As an aside, I have a mission to disassemble microwaves, and no one has microwaves in their kitchens. I found a pair of AR glasses, but no microwaves. Christ the loot tables in this game are hosed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peculiarly, microwaves are now primarily in the form of combo microwave and oven units, so you need to check the ovens to see if they're such a unit and then dismantle them to get the microwave out. I think it's usually gas ovens that come with microwaves.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Yeah and a good apartment building will have tons of the microwave/gas range combos so you can go to town.

What does Bright Nights do differently from the base game?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The main thing is it's a fork from pre pockets, so you don't have to deal with your character being dumb with ziplock bags and cardboard boxes (What do these even add to the game?)

But it's also way behind all the other stuff that's in experimental, so pick your poison for that. The power system in it for buildings is easier to work with than it is in the main branch, you can just hook stuff up without the weird expose wire/make lots of tiny vehicles kludge the main game has.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
How big is the reality bubble. Is it the 60 tiles in every direction that you can see, or does it extend further than that?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Corsec posted:

How big is the reality bubble. Is it the 60 tiles in every direction that you can see, or does it extend further than that?

https://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wi...g%20the%20area.

So 66 in each direction, and it's square.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So more of a reality square.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I forget exactly how z-levels work with the bubble, but I think it does all of them at once which would make it like a reality monolith

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Nope. It's a time cube

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That it takes into account Z-levels is why, say, resting in Trans-Coast Logistics takes 10 minutes IRL.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Is there any clear logic that governs when enemies will cross z-levels to chase the player? I haven't seen any consistency, it seems random.

What exactly is the lore that feral and deranged humans somehow don't get attacked by zombies?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Corsec posted:

Is there any clear logic that governs when enemies will cross z-levels to chase the player? I haven't seen any consistency, it seems random.

What exactly is the lore that feral and deranged humans somehow don't get attacked by zombies?

They're fully infected and don't get attacked for the same reason the zombies don't attack one another. They just haven't 'died' yet.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, it is in the documents that it should probably be possible at one point to reach a level of blob mutation where zombies will ignore the player too.

It'd be nice if we had a way to check how much activity is in an area when sleeping. Nothing like taking a nap on the side of the road only to find out you're over a lab and then you just have to alt tab for 10 minutes.

edit: Maybe it'd be too much cheese (Although I can't think of any big exploits with it off the top of my head) but disabling Z levels when sleeping might be a nice option.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Tactical micromanagement in this game is utterly infuriating to me, because the exact movement of zombies is so hard to predict. They give chase in a straight line when I least want them to, but the stragglers lag behind and to the side then are very resistant to baiting. I spend more time tentatively baiting the last few stragglers than I do on the majority of the group. They are also difficult to bait into the exact tile that I want them to go into. They often circle around the tile I'm trying to bait them into. I can't see their remaining action points so I can't predict how many tiles they will move next turn; zero, one or sometimes two. When trying to kite with reach attacks I can't tell if they will catch up to me or not after I make the attack.

I've just lost so many savegames due to tactical incompetence but I don't see any clear way to resolve these problems and improve my performance. So, how the gently caress do I do this?

Currently I'm focused on clearing out the upper level of the Mall by baiting the zombies in the open areas into falling over the railings and down onto the ground floor, and then using fire traps on the ones locked inside the stores and back corridors. Works OK If I can survive long enough to get up there and then evade the horde near the stairs. I get wrecked as soon as I go into the narrow corridors or the backs of dark stores. Safe Mode is problematic because the zombies in the stores will trigger it constantly, but if I disable it then I walk into zombies in low visibility areas. I eventually get killed by the accumulated damage from tactical blunders, never lasted more than 2 days.

Night10194 posted:

They're fully infected and don't get attacked for the same reason the zombies don't attack one another. They just haven't 'died' yet.

So the lore is that they should be dying soon due to terminal infection? How does the evolution system treat them?

It'd be a fun way to end the game if a terminally infected player was ignored by the horde until they engaged in hostilities, a good opportunity to go out in a literal blaze of fiery glory.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 22, 2023

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
outsmarted by the zomble shuffle step

:yosbutt:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Corsec posted:

So the lore is that they should be dying soon due to terminal infection? How does the evolution system treat them?

It'd be a fun way to end the game if a terminally infected player was ignored by the horde until they engaged in hostilities, a good opportunity to go out in a literal blaze of fiery glory.

There's no "infection" to speak of. XE037 reached total global saturation months before the game started, and everyone and everything that dies is bound for undeath. It's not like TWD where it makes you sick and then kills you in order to zombify you, but it does make people and animals go kind of nuts.

Almost everyone in the world went feral to some degree in the weeks preceeding game start. This manifested as riots and random acts of violence that were met with an apocalyptically disproportionate response from the police and military, who then began fighting each other, themselves, and the random militia groups that showed up. People started coming back to life as zombies during all of this, which only really exacerbated the issue.

The player character and all NPCs are people who are either immune to the feralization process, or just resistant enough that it makes them act like crazy assholes (IE the player character and many of the bandits) but not totally hostile maniacs. The feral enemies you see will eventually become zombies only because they are 't intelligent enough to take care of themselves, and will eventually run out of food, succumb to misadventure, or freeze to death.

In stable you don't really see this, but there's code in ex now that gives ferals a finite lifespan.

Yeah, it is in the documents that it should probably be possible at one point to reach a level of blob mutation where zombies will ignore the player too.

This is outdated, zombies and mutants are no longer friends. Living creatures mutating is a by-product of the blob's presence in a world, but it winds up hastening the total takeover of the biosphere because ecosystems can't support every single animal trying to be an apex predator at the same time. Mutating makes an individual more fit to resist the undead, but in the long run it's playing into the blob's hand.

Something that's been proposed that might be neat is a mutation that turns you into a zombie but keeps you sane. I'm not sure how fun it would be though, since 90% of the enemies in the game are zombies.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 22, 2023

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's hard to keep track of all the revisions, I guess it doesn't matter from a gameplay perspective at least.

I'm coming to realize that fighting in cities just isn't fun. In the past they were a good source of loot, gun stores, electronic stores with CBMs, and the like. Now they're just kind of slogs to get through. Gun stores are nice, but a bit random and firearms and ammo for .223 and .308 are probably easier gained elsewhere. I've started to view cities as roadblocks to me making it to more interesting out of city map specials, which is kind of a bummer.

Also I started really paying attention to the health maluses, and see that weed and beer are super bad for you. They've really gotten a bunch of teetotalers running a game that used to be about snorting Adderall to do self surgery before hopping on an atomic superbike. I love the newer stuff, and I think helicopters are cool, at least in theory, I've only ever got a working one once, but they really have tried to beat a lot of the charm of the old game out over the years.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
My lifestyle score is always maxed out even when I'm chain smoking and eating oxycodone like breakfast cereal. The health- next to the item is a drop in the bucket next to the combined effects of regular exercise and vitamins. The only time I've had health in the red since that system came out was when I was going hard on mutagens, and, duh.

Drugs and alcohol have always had a health malus, it's never mattered, and it's funny to drink whiskey while mowing down zombies even if it's .001% less optimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also the health system as a whole is on the list of things to overhaul so no one's eager to fine tune a thing that might get replaced.