Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

You need to use the decision. It's stupid.

I’ve captured a few. There are a lot less physicians, but that’s not like totally a bad thing. Like how many rulers have you all had with a dogshit physician? You probably just forgo one altogether rather than risk a hack job. But this is medieval era I don’t think neurosurgeons capable of healing cancer should be readily available to the highest bidder.

But yea this is probably a bug that they’ll patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I rarely ever bother looking for great physicians. Even a lot of poor and average physicians seem to do just fine. I just always for the the bare minimum treatment and 9 out of 10 times I end up fine. If I have intelligent kids, then I just make them physicians early on and by the time they’re 30, they’ve developed into good ones.

Same, I don't bother looking for good physicians because they tend to level up quick tending to wounded knights or whatever. And just picking the bare minimum option works out the vast majority of the time. Maybe one botched job every few hundred years.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Once I got established in my current game I began to inspect nearby realms' relics, and it seemed that every other king-tier ruler had two or three +1 domain animal hides. All it takes is one character with Diplomacy lifestyle and you can get +3 domain limit very easily (+5 if your dynasty banner gets the right roll and you obligatorily steal the Crown of Justinian).

I haven't been as lucky, playing in the horn of Africa. I took the entire activity legacy and have yet to see a legendary animal sighting.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Seems like they’ve added a lot more artifacts I can hold personally instead of putting in my court. I have a ton of blue level artifacts 100 years in. Seemed like those were a lot harder to come by.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I rarely ever bother looking for great physicians. Even a lot of poor and average physicians seem to do just fine. I just always for the the bare minimum treatment and 9 out of 10 times I end up fine. If I have intelligent kids, then I just make them physicians early on and by the time they’re 30, they’ve developed into good ones.

Employing intelligent children/spouses/family members is the best. Specially your heir cause they will get good traits

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

My current physician is also the greatest warrior in Norway and also holds our only acclaimed knighthood. He's also a berserker whose sole credited kill is ripping the head off of Ivar the Boneless's firstborn son. Viking surgery :black101:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
With all these shitheads having powerful allies my strategy with my weak King is to try to time a war so that I can survive long enough to White Peace and press my fabricated or inherited claims. But my decent heir just died due to botched doctoring and my character is already infirm in his fifties so things are shaky.

I saw that there was an easy holy war available but I already have two duchies so I decided to try a quick war for one county and maybe that will be a foothold for an heir taking the whole duchy some day. Immediately dropped my martial, chancellor and bishop down to convert everyone over to glorious Sardinian values.

EDIT: A few minutes later a fellow with 28k soldiers wanted one of my north african counties so I got stomped quickly and went into negative prestige. There's a couple of small wars I could fight but the prestige hit looks bad. I'll just wait it out. Probably won't be able to hang onto the overseas stuff much longer.

EDIT 2: I got an alert that my King was at death's door due to being infirm and melancholic and a suicide option even appeared in Decisions! I decided to try and squeeze in a couple of quick wars to get the heir set up for success. I finally snagged the one county in Majorca I had fabricated a claim for, and immediately moved on to take the African duchy that I already have 1/3 counties. Won the war but before I could hit pause and get organized my King died! The heir is going to have a lot of cleaning up to do.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 19, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

If someone has a four star scholar education trait and show up in the physician options my experience is 100% of the time they will acquire the physician trait within a year so age is the main concern given that within a decade or two they'll be three or four star physicians regardless

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Hey get a load of this fuckin guy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That man sure did kill some children.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hellioning posted:

That man sure did cleave some children in half.

FTFY

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well he is a spineless paragon, so maybe he’s just trying to find some spines?

Anyway, I don’t really get the successor to accolades thing. I get notifications all the time that I can appoint one and then I go to the accolade and I don’t have anyone to appoint.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Crusader Kings 3: Spend Time With the Benevolent Dong

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Does anyone understand how the AI works with respect to wandering? My character's brother got hit with a holy war in Iberia that I couldn't possibly win and got this lands taken. Once I had finished up with my business, I hoarded up some money for mercs to and planned to take it back for him.......only to find he had migrated all the way to China and now was out of diplo range. I thought to myself, dude why didn't you take refuge with me just a hop across the straight, and instead went to hang out with on the other side of the planet

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

TorakFade posted:

In Sardinia, make sure your capital is in Cagliari and try to build up the mine that's in a secondary barony iirc (and always hold that barony for yourself directly). It will give you lots of money to hire mercs, good knights or more men at arms and challenge those larger armies!

The first thing I do as Sardinia before I un pause is to set crown authority to level 2 and take that barony. Third is put my Steward into Cagliari and improve development. It's mostly why I'm going with Sardinia more and more these days.

Is anyone else abusing using the Search for Caravan Master thing for recruitment?
Do the search and recruit the guy on the right before you decline to choose either one, he usually has high stats and all you have to spend is his travel cost.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've never tried going too far down Coterie, but I'm interested. Especially in the ability that allows house members to call each other into wars. Do they use it on you a lot? Can they use it while they are in inter-house wars?

How annoying is this ability?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Coterie's good fun, especially as when you take it asap it saves you a ton of gold early on when you're still scraping by. I don't recall getting pulled into many wars since it was usually me being the aggresor in the first place, or them being a puppet king that I'm trying to prop up anyways so I'm glad to be able to use Iberian mechanics to help out without committing to an alliance. I suppose that people who you no longer give a hoot about might be sufficiantly distant to found their own house? That's just a guess tho, I never felt it was a burden, but that just might be the quirks of Iberia.

That being said, do NOT take the final legacy as it's actually a hilarious trap: you still have to spend tyranny + etc to disinherit, so you can't go around using that ability willy nilly. And it doesn't even save you reknown; the opportunity cost of picking the dynasty vastly, vastly outstrips any savings you'd gain.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
you all seem pretty quick to judge a guy that just adopted a few goats

thats what cloven means, right? like hooves?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Same, I don't bother looking for good physicians because they tend to level up quick tending to wounded knights or whatever. And just picking the bare minimum option works out the vast majority of the time. Maybe one botched job every few hundred years.

I haven't been as lucky, playing in the horn of Africa. I took the entire activity legacy and have yet to see a legendary animal sighting.

Yeah, physicians in a mid-to-large sized realm level up pretty quickly, especially now that it's an experience-based level up rather than random chance.

Having played around a bit more with hunting, it's not too hard to get purple pelts/skulls, they can drop from sufficiently difficult game. Doesn't have to be a legendary hunt (which i still haven't seen despite spending two characters' lifetimes doing hunting as often as possible).

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, physicians in a mid-to-large sized realm level up pretty quickly, especially now that it's an experience-based level up rather than random chance.

Having played around a bit more with hunting, it's not too hard to get purple pelts/skulls, they can drop from sufficiently difficult game. Doesn't have to be a legendary hunt (which i still haven't seen despite spending two characters' lifetimes doing hunting as often as possible).

I only got a chance to do a legendary hunt once and it was from a random court event

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are you guys using the DLC? Since I've had an empire-size superkingdom over two lifetimes and never saw my physicians hit a single trait levelup, they die of old age at like 20% xp. I usually end up recruiting people at like 40 years old, which I know isn't young, but I'd have thought after 20-30 years of continual practice they'd have gotten better.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I decided to try a game yesterday, all DLCs, no mods. There seems to be something bugged about crusades too? Or something changed on the lastest versions, its been a while I play this game

Anyway, I started as count of Verona, in 867 (I like starting small).

So I was just building by strength to attack a neighbor count, attended to some tournaments and hunts as guest, too poor and small to do much more, game was going slow.

Than like 10 years into the game I get the warning that crusades are available. I dont remember what the conditions are for it to trigger, but I never seen it so early. And like less than a year later, one was announced, targeting England (which was like half controlled by norses).

I got an army of 650 but decided to join anyway. On the way there I stopped on a single county the norse Wessex had in France and I occupy it, putting me 1st on the crusade ranking. After that I sail to England, where most are already gathered. Since my army is small I mostly followed others and took part of battles and sieges with bigger armies. After much marching around, we win. And than I realizes Im still 1st in the ranking somehow, which makes no sense to me. After that first county I got alone, I had and army of 500 and could not do anything by myself, I only took part and bigger battles and sieges others were already winning when I joined

Anyway, my 24 years old daughter becomes crusader queen of England and I switched to her, cause anyway I actually never did this, switching to the crusader king/queen (the few times I had that chance in the past, it was already kinda late into the game and I was involved into something and didint want to switch). So bugged or not, at least got me a pretty fun game setup

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Yeah, the Crusades seem to be bugged again/still. Starting in 1066 I'm now in the 1200's and there has been only 2 crusades so far. First one targeted pagan Pomerania, I was a duke then and my army got absolutely destroyed but somehow losing all my men in a pointless battle was enough to get my nephew to become the crusader king of Pomerania. A hundred years later a second crusade targets Andalusia, which feels pretty rude to let Great Holy Wars meddle in the Iberian Conflict, but even more rude is when a massive Muslim doomstack rolls around, when I attack it with the largest Christian army (I'm the Holy Roman Emperor) I get absolutely slaughtered because every other Christian army nearby scatters, instead of joining the battle and helping us win the Crusade with a 2:1 numbers advantage.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Anyway, I don’t really get the successor to accolades thing. I get notifications all the time that I can appoint one and then I go to the accolade and I don’t have anyone to appoint.

It's a bit annoying. Most of the time what I have to do is force one of the listed characters to become a knight. You can remove this forced knighthood after appointing them as successor.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Seems like everyone at my court is constantly getting injured. Every single one of my character's wives keeps ending up either seriously injured or brutally mauled and it got to the point after four generations where I just used a console command to heal her up because I was sick of marrying someone and then having them die within 5-10 years from getting chewed into hamburger.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You should move your capitol off of the hellgate.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

You should move your capitol off of the hellgate.

I am in Brittany...

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Serephina posted:

Are you guys using the DLC? Since I've had an empire-size superkingdom over two lifetimes and never saw my physicians hit a single trait levelup, they die of old age at like 20% xp. I usually end up recruiting people at like 40 years old, which I know isn't young, but I'd have thought after 20-30 years of continual practice they'd have gotten better.

Yeah, I have all of the currently available DLC installed. That seems weird, mine level up pretty consistently, I see it the notifications sidebar/character sheets. Are you not getting sick/injured ever or something? Or choosing not to receive treatment?

Touring/Tournaments are fun, but I'm somehow already wishing for more event variety after a single game through the 1200s. Power levels are also getting even more insane, I had a character with 61 Martial and 80 Learning recently. So many artifacts which grant +1 stat per prestige/devotion level, both of which are really easy to rack up with Touring and revamped pilgrimages.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The power creep does need to be addressed at some point, there's a lot of nutty numbers you can get right now. I've reached the late 1100s in my Nubia run and while I haven't been warmongering particularity hard, it feels like the reduced domain limit is just a wash due to artifacts, while the later buildings you get combined with additional slots can skyrocket your income and field stacks of incredibly buffed MaA. AI rulers don't do a great job of keeping up with building, lots of level 1-2 buildings around from what I've seen. Though baronies that are owned by baron-tier rulers actually seem to do better in that regard, it's just the counts and dukes and such that don't seem to be investing in their infrastructure.

I do feel like I was making actual decisions on buildings though, like designated some provinces as income provinces while others were dedicated to buffing Heavy Infantry, and two baronies had shooting ranges for my siege. It's not a much but even a little bit of province specialization was more than I was doing before.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Are you guys doing the micromanaging of keeping accolades up on knights? Seems tedious with not a lot of payoff having to constantly look for qualified successors.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

MikeC posted:

Are you guys doing the micromanaging of keeping accolades up on knights? Seems tedious with not a lot of payoff having to constantly look for qualified successors.

I tried interacting with this system for like a generation or two, then gave up on it for being too tedious. It might be worth it for smaller realms early game, but by the time I had become a kingdom I was predominating militarily through conventional means.

I do like being able to customize particular provinces for specific MaA stacks now though.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Ok so switching characters disables achievements - which is annoying because that was the only way to fix my grand wedding bug - turns out the Aladdin RC event can trigger for one of your kids even if they're a eunuch.
So they were betrothed with the Grand Wedding but could not start it (or, they were made a eunuch after betrothal - this should automatically invalidate it). Only way to cancel it without taking the massive fame hit and House Feud was to switch characters to the heir and cancel it and switch back.

edit: :lol:

(this is during a grand tournament - the extra +8 on my spear is from an event which only lasts during the GT but still)

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 21, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I have mixed feelings about tournaments and the whole activities thing so far

They can be fun and interesting at first but it took me like 3 tournaments as guest to start feeling that they are too long, too micromanegey and pretty repetitive, so I started refusing invitations

edit: also agree that accolades are so too much fiddling for very little

It's a cool system but need to be more "hands free". Drop the successor bullshit, for starters

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 21, 2023

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have mixed feelings about tournaments and the whole activities thing so far

They can be fun and interesting at first but it took me like 3 tournaments as guest to start feeling that they are too long, too micromanegey and pretty repetitive, so I started refusing invitations

edit: also agree that accolades are so too much fiddling for very little

It's a cool system but need to be more "hands free". Drop the successor bullshit, for starters

Even worse than tournaments are grand tours. Good first impression, but an actual pain to sit through. So so long.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Maybe it would be better to just pause the game while activity is happening, like it all happens in a day

As it is currently, is very annoying cause while the thing is going you can't really do anything else cause you have that window full of stuff that demands attention all the time. But the game is still going on the background so you keep getting notifications and having to deal with unrelated stuff

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 21, 2023

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

Even worse than tournaments are grand tours. Good first impression, but an actual pain to sit through. So so long.

Grand tours give you a chance to imprison half your vassals when they refuse tribute, so it's automatically useful.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Vassals seem a little too cocky with refusing tribute tbh.

Like, my friend, you have three counties and a duchy. Don't give the emperor a totally painless way of getting rid of you if you step out of line or if he feels like it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The tribute tour is a great way to rack up cash. Just random taxes all day long.

You can still close the window to go back to the regular part of the game, and then it’ll pop back up when something important actually happens. I do limit how many activities I’m attending. I might go to 1 out of 20 I’m invited to, probably less than that really.

The amount of tournaments happening seems way too high though. Like it seems I’m getting t invited to multiple tournaments a year, which doesn’t seem realistic, but whatever I just ignore them.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm having a fun tournament problem where I get a bunch of them but they are all far enough away that I can't get to them in time. Why show them to me then?

I also had what has to be a bug of my ruler getting ill while travelling and it never cleared. Poor guy was sick for the rest of his life which was probably another 30 years.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The tribute tour is a great way to rack up cash. Just random taxes all day long.

You can still close the window to go back to the regular part of the game, and then it’ll pop back up when something important actually happens. I do limit how many activities I’m attending. I might go to 1 out of 20 I’m invited to, probably less than that really.

The amount of tournaments happening seems way too high though. Like it seems I’m getting t invited to multiple tournaments a year, which doesn’t seem realistic, but whatever I just ignore them.

Yeah you can close it but it will be back on your face in a few days, which means a few seconds. Personally I can’t focus on anything until the thing is over

Also for tournaments we have places you can visit every x days and for that you have to keep watching the window

I would like it more if it was like court events that happen while the game is paused and than it’s over and you go back to doing other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Hey get a load of this fuckin guy.

That's probably from the Solomon event, right? So I got a question: The event happens. He cleaves a kid. What did the second pair of ladies expect???