Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I just feel like I'm at my least sociable when I'm pushing poo poo through my rear end in a top hat, that's a very private moment, it's a bubble of sanctity for my rear end in a top hat, my phone and I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Biplane posted:

I just feel like I'm at my least sociable when I'm pushing poo poo through my rear end in a top hat, that's a very private moment, it's a bubble of sanctity for my rear end in a top hat, my phone and I.

Things out of rear end in a top hat: shut up

Things into rear end in a top hat: let's chat

:colbert:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had to use a public bathroom the other day and there was someone in one of the cubicles listening to affirmations, presumably from their phone on loudspeaker.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boomer coworker update

He was really mad Thursday night when we vetoed his choice of Cracker Barrel. We went to a place that had a DJ playing late 90s/early 2000s hip hop. He hated it. Friday morning he was mad that no one showed up early to meet him for breakfast. The rest of us managed to get breakfast and check out in time to leave a little early. We ended up leaving late and arriving at the customer site late again. When we got there, he was mad that someone moved his chair, the one chair, because he was the only one who had to sit.

Ended up getting done Friday morning and driving back Friday afternoon, exactly as planned. Even got back home slightly earlier than expected despite spending way too long at Cracker Barrel for lunch. One small rant about illegals. Referred to someone wearing a hoodie as a "terrorist in training". Mostly Hannity on the radio.

5/10 trip
If you already haven't, either play or watch someone play Hitman. It's just chock full of ideas on how to deal with this situation!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

unplanned rapid depressurization

good thing these chambers aren't surrounded by lines carrying things like HF vapor, BCL3, whatever fun hellvapors get used in deposition, etc

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

redgubbinz posted:

good thing these chambers aren't surrounded by lines carrying things like HF vapor, BCL3, whatever fun hellvapors get used in deposition, etc

Fortunately we only use "inert" gasses to test, no tungsten hexaflouride or silane on site.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

Talking is awkward but I draw the line at prolonged eye contact

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TaurusTorus posted:

Fortunately we only use "inert" gasses to test, no tungsten hexaflouride or silane on site.

Boring.
We got the full spectrum. Calcium glucanate (?) Pucks at every eye wash station.
Every few months some gas alarm wigs out and it's time for cleanroom evacuation, always fun!

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Tetrabor posted:

Apparently, half this thread has never had a charcuterie board before.

I remember dinner parties my parents held in the 80s where I had to serve 'nibbles' and booze to the adults, and bad cheddar cheese cubes on a cocktail stick with 'random pickle/fruit' combos frequently featured. Possibly some heavily processed ham on a plate. As time moved on, it mostly turned into my fathers favourite snack which was smoked salmon, a thick layer of butter on a sturdy rye bread with cracked black pepper and fresh lemon juice; and that's delicious, especially since he managed to source most of the ingredients locally and fresh. I definitely have memories of the pineapple element of 'cheese and pineapple onna stick' coming out of tin.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm the dumb poo poo at work. I managed to get myself in trouble at work.

We had a new hire that came in all gung ho during his training period, and then as soon as he started working solo burned all of his PTO, then no showed for a week, came back in the next Monday looking like he was coming off a meth binge. He disappeared halfway through the day and the next day we got an email from HR saying 'so and so has resigned effective immediately for different business opportunity' and I responded 'I didn't know smoking meth was a profitable line of work' and it turns out old boy was related to the HR person

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

tactlessbastard posted:

We had a new hire that came in all gung ho during his training period, and then as soon as he started working solo burned all of his PTO, then no showed for a week, came back in the next Monday looking like he was coming off a meth binge. He disappeared halfway through the day and the next day we got an email from HR saying 'so and so has resigned effective immediately for different business opportunity' and I responded 'I didn't know smoking meth was a profitable line of work' and it turns out old boy was related to the HR person

Ooops.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

s-tier username post combo here

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

tactlessbastard posted:

my guy you never write that poo poo in an email to anyone, let alone HR :stonklol:

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

tactlessbastard posted:

Pro-gamer move right here. Chef's kiss.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AceClown posted:

s-tier username post combo here

:allears:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol that owns

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well done. Please post the fallout

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well done. Please post the fallout

PIP

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

:rip:

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Lol, what's the improvement plan?

If you go six months without calling out someone's shame you're back on the good boy list?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Manners classes. Gotta use your salad fork correctly for 2 months.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Today was logic and accuracy testing for some tabulators. The test decks are supposed to be 532 sheets.

loving idiot printer company put 2 of the same in our deck and shorted our satellite office by 1. Other areas were short by 1. It is required that the sacred number of 532 scanned is correctly achieved. It takes about 1.5 hours to feed the deck, if everything is smooth. One of the people we had helping hosed up and scanned one sheet twice. Our location got everything sorted by using a second test deck, and the tabulators are pretty cool and work well. Just, gently caress. I want to use a rail gun to send a rusty iron pineapple backwards up the printer's rear end. They also stapled another important book of papers backwards. Again, nothing that will cause harm but holy fuckballs

I'm so goddamn tired lmao

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

When do you test the turbo encabulators?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

Lmfao

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol!

:(

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Every time you replace the spurving bearings.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

in a week, thankfully we have The Good Deck under lock and key and I'll probably do it all myself so if there's a gently caress up it's only :suicide: and not :murder:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

So here's something "fun" I just found out from an ex-coworker (pregnant lady who got laid off same time as me probably for being pregnant) who pointed out that the company buying out the company I used to work for is laying off another 150 people.

The whole time up until the mass layoffs, we were reassured constantly that there weren't going to be any layoffs and that it was going to be "business as usual" and that the buying company is very hands off. I mean constantly, the CEO would do townhalls like once a month or so and would reassure us. They had a whole meeting with the execs of the buying company whose whole point was how great the merger would be and how there'd be no layoffs. It was obvious to me that they were lying through their teeth and I completely expected the layoffs but I didn't expect myself to be included.

Just for future reference, if your company is being bought out and they constantly say that it's "business as usual" and that there "won't be any layoffs" or anything of that nature, they're lying and it's gonna be a bloodbath. They just don't want people jumping ship early on or looking for work elsewhere before they're blindsided.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

tactlessbastard posted:

Lol someone on a meth binge has more professionalism than millennials/zoomers who apply for work at my MegaCorp, go through interviews & background checks, accept offers & get start dates, then are never seen again with no notice as they dislike uncomfortable conversations about quitting (not trying to single out the young folk but it’s always them.) HR mentioned when it started a few years back they’d worry something had happened and consider welfare checks but now just process the termination.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 21, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s because young people realized corporations don’t give a gently caress about you so they act accordingly.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s because young people realized corporations don’t give a gently caress about you so they act accordingly.

Yeah who gives a poo poo. The trials and tribulations of a mid level HR person at Omnicorp couldn't matter less.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
People not showing up is a side effect of everyone applying for a bajillion jobs at the same time because the hiring processes take forever.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Wasting the time of a corporation that wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire is an unquestionable moral good, hth

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

goatface posted:

People not showing up is a side effect of everyone applying for a bajillion jobs at the same time because the hiring processes take forever.

How are you going to hire the right people without 43 interviews, two professional projects, a group project to test if they are a good fit and at least one painting showing the CEO as a Saint?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol someone on a meth binge has more professionalism than millennials/zoomers who apply for work at my MegaCorp, go through interviews & background checks, accept offers & get start dates, then are never seen again with no notice as they dislike uncomfortable conversations about quitting (not trying to single out the young folk but it’s always them.) HR mentioned when it started a few years back they’d worry something had happened and consider welfare checks but now just process the termination.

Yeah the problem is they went through that same overwrought process with 5 other companies, and I guess one of them came to the table with a better offer :shrug:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Professionalism and a dollar will get you far at the 99 cent store

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I worked at a place once that had a notoriously long hiring process, and I once applied for an internal promotion but didn’t find out I didn’t get the job until the quarterly newsletter came out and congratulated the newly promoted candidate for the position. In fact, HR never notified me at all I didn’t get the job. Just interviewed, said the would let me know, even joked about how slow their hiring process was so it make take a couple weeks to hear anything.

Then eight weeks later the quarterly newsletter had it in print.

In short, gently caress the hiring process, we gotta pay rent NOW and don’t owe corporations anything.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah so I'm 39 and a millennial and I'm burnt the gently caress out on BizNiss MegaCorp multi stage hiring processes that last over 4 months at a stretch for mid career lateral moves. It's not uncomfortable conversations, it's giving back the same level of consideration and comfort I've been given since I got my first full time (34+ hours a week) job at age 13. If a hiring manager or HR fucks around for months, then hires me, and my better shot comes through, I'm less likely to give you a heads up on day 3 or even week 2 after I start because frankly, paper spends where my time doesn't, and my rear end has bills to pay.

I give professional courtesy generally but I've especially fuckin had it the last 15 years of working full time plus. Really. I can afford to give your MegaCorp the finger for my sales job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I once had a lady reach out to me on linkedin, worked for a big aussie insurance company. She wanted me to come work in her team.

I met with her, she was keen as mustard. I meet with her a second and third time, she is equally enthused. She then sets me up for an 'interview' with 2 people who would ostensibly be in my team. She frames this as a 'last step' in the process (keep in mind this isn't a process I even instigated)

I meet with these 2 people, who seem slightly confused about what is even happening. The job they describe the team as doing is zero like the job she described to me. They describe activities I am a) not qualified to do and b) have no interest in doing.

After aggressively pursuing me and promising me the world, this woman ghosts me completely

So yeah, while I wouldn't do it myself, I get why people might string an employer along until they get a better offer