Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

gritty The Wire-caliber show about Elan Sleazebaggano and the death stick gangs of coruscant please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Error 404 posted:

Cuz yeah, 100% gimme loser randos in some obscure corner of wherever doing something cool and heroic.

Basically any Star Wars tabletop RPG game! At least the ones I ran.

Random question about the Consular story: is Zenith said anywhere to be ex-Imperial or Imperial related in some way? Because that's a weird line to draw with him not being able to be in the new Balmorra government because he had Imperial ideas? It's very odd. Zenith feels like an odd companion anyway. So does Tharan, though, so it's fine.

Also amusing:

Consular: "I will not let you exploit the Killiks, an entire sentient species."
Story Arc Person: "YOU THINK ONLY OF YOURSELF."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Keep going, it'll all make sense eventually.

I mean, as much as Zenith's kind of lovely story can make sense...

sad question
May 30, 2020

I recall reading neat theory that consular's companions are meant to challenge different aspects of being a jedi:

- Qyzen challenges the traditional view of what spirituality looks like. Other people dismiss him because he is trandoshian and very focused on killing things but as you get to know him you learn about his belief system which is more elaborate that you assumed
- Tharan challenges the mysticism of jedi. He's all about a scientific view of the world and heavily dislikes when you use force as explanation or a tool (especially mind control)
- Zenith has very cynical view of politics and will push back on idealistic diplomatic solutions
- Felix is admittedly rather bland himself but his story pits pursuit of knowledge vs welfare of others. Consulars are supposed to seek knowledge but where do you draw the line kind of thing
- Tbh I don't remember what Nadia's thing was supposed to be. Maybe something about passing knowledge to others or how you can become stronger by working through trauma. My main takeaway is that you should not romance her because even by Bioware standards it's insanely creepy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sad question posted:

I recall reading neat theory that consular's companions are meant to challenge different aspects of being a jedi:

That's a neat idea! It'd be cool if that was actually a thing across all the stories and makes me laugh to think of what part of the Bounty Hunter's story Blizz could challenge.

sad question posted:

- Tbh I don't remember what Nadia's thing was supposed to be. Maybe something about passing knowledge to others or how you can become stronger by working through trauma. My main takeaway is that you should not romance her because even by Bioware standards it's insanely creepy

Yeah, I'm playing a female Consular so that's already not an option but even if it wasn't it looks like it wouldn't feel quite right? Dating your Padawan feels weird in general, I guess.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
All of the Male romances have an option to gently caress at least one apprentice or subordinate. It's very uncomfortable.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Ironslave posted:

All of the Male romances have an option to gently caress at least one apprentice or subordinate. It's very uncomfortable.

Hey, Mako doesn’t work for the BH, she works with the BH. Truly the least creepy and unethical romance (excepting one of the smuggler options, where you are in fact the subordinate, sorta).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I'm playing a female Consular so that's already not an option but even if it wasn't it looks like it wouldn't feel quite right? Dating your Padawan feels weird in general, I guess.

You can date her eventually as a lady Consular, if you wish, just not in the 1-50 content.

She's one of several late-game same-sex romance options added in later patches and expansions.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Knight at least can delay romancing Kira until she's knighted herself, although there's no actual dialogue for it and probably wasn't an intentional choice

sad question
May 30, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. It doesn't help that she comes off as sheltered and naive, while male consular voice acting has "always on horse tranquilizers" quality to it in base campaign.

Speaking of romances, consular's dark side counterpart eventually gets the funniest one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDCTQYswsT8

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sad question posted:

Yeah. It doesn't help that she comes off as sheltered and naive, while male consular voice acting has "always on horse tranquilizers" quality to it in base campaign.

Which became an even weirder choice when I realized his actor was Nolan North. The female actor has the same problem but it's not so bad if you don't pick the stereotypical 'the Force will guide me' options. She has kind of a really dry wit.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

They really backed off on the “let’s make Nolan North give the most wooden performance of his entire career” thing post-50, thankfully.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I still can’t believe they got Nolan north and David hayter for a game that had a puckish rogue and a legendary soldier in it and then made them jedi

Maybe they didn’t want to be typecast or something

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

I still can’t believe they got Nolan north and David hayter for a game that had a puckish rogue and a legendary soldier in it and then made them jedi

Maybe they didn’t want to be typecast or something

Kind of looking forward to playing a female Trooper down the line for Jennifer Hale-related reasons.

(I also sort of assumed North was playing the male Smuggler.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dawgstar posted:

That's a neat idea! It'd be cool if that was actually a thing across all the stories and makes me laugh to think of what part of the Bounty Hunter's story Blizz could challenge.
He challenges people's expectations of you as a bounty hunter. The dialogue options are there to treat him like everyone else does but you can not be a massive poo poo and he becomes your best bro.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

He challenges people's expectations of you as a bounty hunter. The dialogue options are there to treat him like everyone else does but you can not be a massive poo poo and he becomes your best bro.

I'm looking forward to him. Less so Skadge.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So guess who just learned that you can use rocket boots while stealthed, loving this would've sped up a lot of grinding over the past months lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They're really going with "we imprison the descendants of prisoners" on Belsavis, huh? My Consular takes every chance to go "that's messed up" but alas, Assistant Warden Chunky Style refuses to admit it's wrong.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Belsavis is extremely hosed up.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Yeah, the Republic are in no way “the good guys.”

sad question
May 30, 2020

Belsavis really needed "just start killing all these motherfuckers" option

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sad question posted:

Belsavis really needed "just start killing all these motherfuckers" option

Yeah, I was dreading the notion that I wouldn't at least get the option to turn in the senator and the colonel with their blood sports for science. I got that at least, but my bounty hunter would have just doubled tapped them and went about her day.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah playing belsavis as imperial can be very cathartic, especially as it relates to fatso

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just noticed Nadia apparently just suddenly has a double-bladed lightsaber. Which is kind of funny as I'm playing a Shadow so we match and we also have the same haircut if not hair color so now I'm chalking it all down to hero worship.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dawgstar posted:

I just noticed Nadia apparently just suddenly has a double-bladed lightsaber. Which is kind of funny as I'm playing a Shadow so we match and we also have the same haircut if not hair color so now I'm chalking it all down to hero worship.

All of the nubile female apprentice/padawan characters with crushes on PC if you're a dude use double-bladed sabers except Ashara, who dual-wields.

Someone at Bioware had A Type.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Ashara was also so lame I barely talked to her and basically forgot who she was by the time you could pick her up again after KOTET. Non-romanced, of course; my Sith are moral paragons, unlike those filthy jedi.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I watched a couple of SWTOR videos on YouTube and naturally The Algorithm wants me to watch more and one was like an hour and a half long entitled 'Making Jaessa Mine' which was about the Sith Warrior Dark Side romance and... yeesh. I didn't watch it, of course. Just the title was enough. (I'm sure the excuse is 'but what do you expect from the Dark Side blah blah' but still no.)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

All of the nubile female apprentice/padawan characters with crushes on PC if you're a dude use double-bladed sabers except Ashara, who dual-wields.

Someone at Bioware had A Type.

So glad someone else noticed, it's loving wild how consistent they were with this.

Kira and Jaesa make a decent amount of sense because their PC can only use single or dual so the staff provides guaranteed variety, but Nadia having a staff irritates me way more than it probably should. It's a tiny thing, but, like, come on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Now think about Satele's relationship to the PC and it all becomes clear.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Now that comp gear is just fashion with zero stats attached I'd give my loving leg to be able to just equip poo poo on my comp.

Give everyone lightsabers including non-force users? Cool, fine whatever.

Give em all sniper rifles? Yes, do it!

Give a dual-saber comp a single saber or, god forbid, a single saber and a blaster? gently caress yes. That's extremely my poo poo.

Edit: like you just imagine Khem Val with an assault cannon, and then tell me that wouldn't be :black101: as all gently caress.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 22, 2023

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Edit: like you just imagine Khem Val with an assault cannon, and then tell me that wouldn't be :black101: as all gently caress.

say hello to my little sith

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Error 404 posted:

Now that comp gear is just fashion with zero stats attached I'd give my loving leg to be able to just equip poo poo on my comp.

Give everyone lightsabers including non-force users? Cool, fine whatever.

Give em all sniper rifles? Yes, do it!

Give a dual-saber comp a single saber or, god forbid, a single saber and a blaster? gently caress yes. That's extremely my poo poo.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I want to use my own alts as companions

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

I want to use my own alts as companions

If they're going to let us assign their relationships as part of our legacies (can you still do this? could you ever do this? am i dreaming?) it's the least they could do

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Ainsley McTree posted:

If they're going to let us assign their relationships as part of our legacies (can you still do this? could you ever do this? am i dreaming?) it's the least they could do

You used to be able to do a makeshift alt family tree in your legacy, you're not dreaming. No clue if it's still a feature or not.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah that was a really fun feature that made absolutely zero sense and I kind of love that it doesn't even pretend to.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
PSA for any cheevo hunters here: with the way mob tagging works now if you're not part of a group but help kill the Rakghoul event world boss the pet is a 100% drop for you.

The group that initially started the fight has to be your same faction i.e. Imp/Pub.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

PSA for any cheevo hunters here: with the way mob tagging works now if you're not part of a group but help kill the Rakghoul event world boss the pet is a 100% drop for you.

The group that initially started the fight has to be your same faction i.e. Imp/Pub.

Oh poo poo that's a great tip.

Edit - Does it steal it from their loot table? Or is there one per group that tags it?

Medullah fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 1, 2023

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Oh poo poo that's a great tip.

Edit - Does it steal it from their loot table? Or is there one per group that tags it?

No clue...had the idea today to try it after a Kithrawl kill where nobody was grouped. Did it on 3 characters and got the pet every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can't remember if I got that pet or not. I'll have to login and check I guess.