Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Hadlock posted:

Mildly interesting
God drat why is this sort of thing always tied up with the stupidest bullshit they possibly can.

Is it so that some executive somewhere can conclude "obviously nobody wants nice big AR screens, because they weren't willing to pay $2000 for one that's tied up into a loving Android operating system so you can't even actually do anything useful with it"?

By which I mean if we're going to do an AR screen as a thing, can't it just be rigged up as an HDMI adapter (or displayport or whatever, or even a custom thing) and you can use it on any laptop with that hardware? Then the next step is being able to get laptops with no built-in screen so you can use it without the extra screen, and boy howdy now people could have Windows or Linux or ChromeOS or MacOS laptops, whatever they want, which IS NEVER ANDROID, NOBODY WANTS A loving ANDROID LAPTOP, ARGHHH.

Edit: Hope you like a $2000 laptop where the bluetooth doesn't work next month because they changed the protocol implementation in some stupid way again, and also in 6 months you're not getting any updates because we decided this machine didn't have enough users.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Yeah, that feels very buzzword heavy aiming at getting buy in from the corporate market by execs that feel like it's the cutting edge. You could do the same thing but cheaper and better with a regular laptop and an Nreal Air. If you're worried about displaying stuff on the screen then disable it or grab the main board from a Framework and drop it into a custom chassis.

Craft Computing even talked about this exact use case in his review. Seems like a cool idea when it's not done in the dumbest way.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a reason why the Asus Flow X16 is so hard to get in the United States? Or any ETA?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Laptops are built in a factory in batches. If a batch sells out it'll (probably) get scheduled for a second batch at some point. In between batches they're building other laptops, or retooling. They probably make half as many high end gaming laptops as productivity laptops

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there a reason why the Asus Flow X16 is so hard to get in the United States? Or any ETA?

drat, still? It took 4 months of watching to get mine late last year.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

Mildly interesting

1080p? Yeah that's dead on arrival. The upcoming Bigscreen VR headset *might* be good enough to do desktop work on, being way higher resolution, the lightest/smallest production VR headset, and having the lens spacing and foam interface all custom-made from a 3D scan of your face:

https://www.bigscreenvr.com/

But as someone who's used VR headsets with similarly ultra-high res, they can still screw it up if the focal distance is weird, if the cord is too annoying, if the user doesn't know how to touch-type they can't do much with a keyboard... there's a lot of things that can go wrong.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Zero VGS posted:

1080p? Yeah that's dead on arrival.
I didn't even spot that in the article, and when you said it I was like "surely it's saying the virtual screens are 1080p-equivalent or something", but no, literally 1080p for the eye-screens, that's worse than a Google Cardboard with a medium-quality phone in it. Wow.
Edit: though the nreal air is also 1920x1080 per eye, and people seem to like that, so maybe it's okay in AR contexts.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 20, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

roomforthetuna posted:

I didn't even spot that in the article, and when you said it I was like "surely it's saying the virtual screens are 1080p-equivalent or something", but no, literally 1080p for the eye-screens, that's worse than a Google Cardboard with a medium-quality phone in it. Wow.
Edit: though the nreal air is also 1920x1080 per eye, and people seem to like that, so maybe it's okay in AR contexts.

People "seem" to like the Nreal Air if it's a normie using it to make a huge screen for the Nintendo Switch or to watch a smartphone movie on the train, and some are saying it is adequate for work if your work is just typing code into a single window. It probably helps that it's a $350 doodad and not a $2000 Android laptop, lol. That and a 3.8 on Amazon is like, an abysmally low review score for 1400 reviews. All the YouTube reviews are obviously sponsored, and the few that aren't are trying to justify that they spent $350 on the things.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My three or four year old Quest 1 has... Google says 1440 x 1600 per eye. That's good enough to like, go check the population of Utah on Wikipedia, and maybe read the whole article without eye strain, but you're not gonna want to click on the article about the history of Mormons colonizing the area. It's adequate for novelty use but would be painful to use daily. Daily use with detailed text usage for long periods of time probably needs like, 2000, probably close to 3000 horizontal lines of resolution to really get good usage out of it. Curious to see what Apple comes up with

That said, yeah, 1080p is absolute garbage, that's going to be like using a screen somewhere between 320p and 640p

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

the 3070ti and 4070 versions are both available on the Asus web store right now

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Hadlock posted:

My three or four year old Quest 1 has... Google says 1440 x 1600 per eye. That's good enough to like, go check the population of Utah on Wikipedia, and maybe read the whole article without eye strain, but you're not gonna want to click on the article about the history of Mormons colonizing the area. It's adequate for novelty use but would be painful to use daily. Daily use with detailed text usage for long periods of time probably needs like, 2000, probably close to 3000 horizontal lines of resolution to really get good usage out of it. Curious to see what Apple comes up with

That said, yeah, 1080p is absolute garbage, that's going to be like using a screen somewhere between 320p and 640p

That's too bad, everything else about them looks great - the concept of a super lightweight wearable portable monitor that still lets you be somewhat aware of your surroundings is a good one, and it's a niche not really filled by vr headsets.

I'm still absurdly tempted for bed and plane/train use.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AR screens are a different beast from VR screens. The screens themselves need to be very small due to the form factor, smaller than VR screens. So doing high-resolution screens in AR isn't trivial.

I've heard that the virtual screen for the Nreal Air basically takes up the entire actual screens' vertical space. The virtual displays aren't fixed in place while taking up only a portion of the AR screens or anything, but they move around as your head moves instead. This means you should always get the entire 1080p image with no clipped pixels or weird scaling behavior. So it's clunky and awkward to use, but the actual virtual display you get supposedly looks pretty decent.

I have no idea what that Android laptop is doing, but it looks pretty terrible.

I will be the first person to throw out my desktop monitors and go HMD-only the moment it makes sense to do so, but it seems we're still very far from that being a decent experience. I've heard some people say that using the PSVR2 to create a virtual display works pretty well, but there will still be scaling issues due to mismatches between your real and virtual displays. Basically, we need higher resolution screens, higher FoVs, and better lenses, which is a lot of big asks.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 21, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i have the nreal air - bought it for watching videos on long flights
the OLED screen and fidelity are legit but they haven't solved the eye strain I get when I use any of these VR/AR devices for more than a couple hours

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Hey thread, I was hoping y'all could recommend a laptop for the following:

- PC
- A display with >1080p resolution (can be QHD, doesn't need to be 4k)
- 1 TB SSD, or with an extra slot inside that can be used for upgrading storage to get there
- Battery life of 5-6 hours when doing basic tasks like writing or watching YouTube
- NVIDIA GPU that's good enough to play a few modern games (namely, Resident Evil 4 remake) with decent (doesn't need to be max!) graphics
- Budget is in the ballpark of $1300, can be a bit more if necessary

It'll be used for coding and standard internet stuff the vast majority of the time, though I do want to play a few modern games, particularly the RE4 remake. My standards for decent graphics aren't high; I still remember when the original Final Fantasy 7 had ~*incredible graphics*~, so all modern games look great to me. If you told me I could get what I want with an RTX 20something instead of an RTX 30something or 40something, that's fine.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 21, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

- PC
- 1 TB SSD, or with an extra slot inside that can be used for upgrading storage to get there
- Battery life of 8 hours+ when doing basic tasks like writing or watching YouTube
- NVIDIA GPU that's good enough to play a few modern games (namely, Resident Evil 4 remake) with decent (doesn't need to be max!) graphics

It'll be used for coding and standard internet stuff the vast majority of the time, though I do want to play a few modern games, particularly the RE4 remake. My standards for decent graphics aren't high; I still remember when the original Final Fantasy 7 had ~*incredible graphics*~, so all modern games look great to me. If you told me I could get what I want with an RTX 20something instead of an RTX 30something or 40something, that's fine.

Laptop with >HD screen, dedicated GPU and 8+ hours of battery life even under light load is a big ask unfortunately.

At that price point you're looking probably at a slightly older Zephyrus G14/G15 or a Legion. I think those are more like 6 hours of battery life though.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bike tory posted:

Laptop with >HD screen, dedicated GPU and 8+ hours of battery life even under light load is a big ask unfortunately.

At that price point you're looking probably at a slightly older Zephyrus G14/G15 or a Legion. I think those are more like 6 hours of battery life though.
That makes sense. 5-6 hours is probably fine. I just don't want something like 3-4.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zugzwang posted:

- PC
- Battery life of 5-6 hours when doing basic tasks like writing or watching YouTube

https://slickdeals.net/f/16651052-l...iteSearchV2Algo

4060 GPU, when using the iGPU doing normal tasks should get ~6 hours of battery life or close enough, 1600p.will run re4 pretty well. Legion is in general a great laptop.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 21, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

By the way, the laptop charges from the docking station my wife was given for working from home, so that seems to answer that.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Lockback posted:

4060 GPU, when using the iGPU doing normal tasks should get ~6 hours of battery life or close enough, 1600p.will run re4 pretty well. Legion is in general a great laptop.

That looks like a beast. What are the differencces between the Legion 5 and Legion 7? They both seem very capable but the legion 7 is notably more expensive.

I pulled the trigger on that ipad pro but for what I paid I am genuinely wondering if I should have spent the money on a legion or even an Asus Z13, which it turns out, is much cheaper. Trying to find a portable 3d workstation AND a perfect drawing / painting tablet doesn't really seem to exist. The Z13 comes closest (?) but until I get the hang of the ipad pro - the jury is still out.

While on the topic of ipad vs. PC tablet. Can anyone recommend a sturdy ipad AND laptop stand which folds out AND holds the weight required to draw on a tablet? There are a dizzying array of foldable laptop stands out. This one looks good but I am afraid it will swivel when I put too much pressure leaning on it for drawing. Was hoping to use it in a standing AND sitting stand for drawing / painting.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2P4B8WL/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1VCRDPIX0NQ5B&psc=1

Also - is this the most powerful laptop cpu out ATM? (AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYWXXGLX?tag=bgfg-wepc-us-20&geniuslink=true&th=1

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 21, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Not much difference, its usually down to form factor and its not uncommon for the 7 to be on sale and cheaper than the 5. The 7 typically has a nicer, higher refresh screen and VRR, which the 5 doesn't have (though weirdly can be specced for it). The 7 has a nicer webcam (1080p vs 720p) and USUALLY the 7 has the Ryzen 9, i7 vs the 5's ryzen 7/i5. Again, the 5 can be specced to that. I think the 7 supposedly has a more "premium" feel but I couldn't tell you which one was better. They are a little different but both feel great.

The Z13 is not as good of a drawing tablet as a iPad Pro, sadly. You may be better off with a regular laptop and a wacom tablet.

sigma 6 posted:

Also - is this the most powerful laptop cpu out ATM? (AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYWXXGLX?tag=bgfg-wepc-us-20&geniuslink=true&th=1

The 13th gen intel can be better in certain workloads, but generally I'd say yes that is the most powerful. It has a great iGPU too.

I also quite like the 4080 mobile (I didn't like the 3080). So yeah that's a helluva machine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I have a Lenovo Legion Slim 7 15". I don't know what the exact difference between all the models but I am super happy with mine. It's kind of blown away that I can finally actually play modern games on laptop that still relatively portable.

The only thing that you might miss is that the rear extension of the laptop protrudes due to the heatsink. I can see why they did it but it just barely fits in my laptop backpack.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah the 7 has the slim line which I think is a better design than Razor. Razor is a little thinner but you compromise too much in heat management and there's a price premium that I think is not worth it. The slim 7s can be great deal especially a little later into the generation.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lockback posted:

Thanks, I nabbed one of those :buddy:

I'm also happy that the deal was directly from the vendor, because holy poo poo do sites like Amazon and New Egg look like the wild west these days with all the random-rear end storefronts.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 21, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I keep seeing paid blog ad articles for Anker 3/5/7/11-in-one dock type things

I've not seen this before. This would lead me to believe that they're trying to close out their USB-C/USB 3.X devices as they're getting ready to roll out their USB4 (which are thunderbolt 3 backwards compatible) devices, again guessing, at the end of the quarter (june 30)

That's all wild speculation of course

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't seem like this has been posted. We have a live example of the AirJet solid state cooler in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZFZoxxTpyA

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/zotac-unveils-the-worlds-first-mini-pc-with-solid-state-cooling

tl;dr: seems to provide about 5W worth of cooling which is probably adequate for a thin and light device to give it a boost in sustained performance. But it's also using about 2.5W to do this so that's not great for laptops or tablets unfortunately. For a desktop mini-pc or industrial stuff it could be still great though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

So it can really only dissipate 2.5w of heat after you discount the heat it generates via power consumption?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Inept posted:

So it can really only dissipate 2.5w of heat after you discount the heat it generates via power consumption?
I'd say the ~5W net? Because that's how much higher the CPU package is running. Maybe even a bit more if it's also removing some of the heat from the rest of the board which seems to go from around 11 to 15W. I mean it's not amazing but would probably have some niche applications.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'd say the ~5W net? Because that's how much higher the CPU package is running. Maybe even a bit more if it's also removing some of the heat from the rest of the board which seems to go from around 11 to 15W. I mean it's not amazing but would probably have some niche applications.

Might be good on RAM or NVME or something.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Presumably they'll work on lower power consumption now, this is still basically just a proof of concept

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In one of the follow up videos, they demonstrated 4 units (2 units pictured in that YouTube video) cooling a 20w laptop, so that tracks

The biggest advantages I see are

1) almost silent
2) considerably thinner, you don't need a bunch of complex custom ductwork. Just slap an airjet on the case and cut a slit where the exhaust will go

Distant 3) seems like it won't pull in hair and clog

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It still works by moving air into and then back out of the device, so clogs will still be a concern.

I'm sure they'll work on minimizing power consumption, but they need to reduce it by a lot in order to be competitive with a typical blower fan. A single 2.5W laptop fan can dissipate 50+ watts of heat with a proper heatpipe/fin stack configuration. It's true that this thing is much quieter due to the lack of a fan motor, but I'd like to see it compared to a typical laptop fan running at minimum RPM.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Isn't that thing supposed to have really good static pressure despite the fairly low air flow rates it can push?

There was some guy selling it who saying that it really needs a new heatsink design to shine. One with relatively tightly packed fins or something, to make proper use of its static pressure.

Dude gave off some cheezy marker vibes but logically what he was saying makes some sense.

I dunno if it'll work but I kinda hope it does because it seems like some slick tech and whiny jet fans are irritating.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Isn't that thing supposed to have really good static pressure despite the fairly low air flow rates it can push?

There was some guy selling it who saying that it really needs a new heatsink design to shine. One with relatively tightly packed fins or something, to make proper use of its static pressure.

Dude gave off some cheezy marker vibes but logically what he was saying makes some sense.

I dunno if it'll work but I kinda hope it does because it seems like some slick tech and whiny jet fans are irritating.

It's not intended to use a fin stack at all, iirc - sticks directly on a heat pipe or vapor chamber and the dissipation magic happens on the bottom of the jet.

Kinda disappointing if it actually draws 50% of what it dissipates. Their main pitch was 20w using 4x of them in a 13 inch ultra portable. Not sure 10w just for the cooling system is gonna fly in that kind of device, but still early days I guess.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It still works by moving air into and then back out of the device, so clogs will still be a concern.

I'm sure they'll work on minimizing power consumption, but they need to reduce it by a lot in order to be competitive with a typical blower fan. A single 2.5W laptop fan can dissipate 50+ watts of heat with a proper heatpipe/fin stack configuration. It's true that this thing is much quieter due to the lack of a fan motor, but I'd like to see it compared to a typical laptop fan running at minimum RPM.

Their claim is the device generates so much pressure that you can use super fine filtration without impacting performance meaningfully.

How that works in practice obviously should be tested in actual retail samples by independent reviewers.

They're also pretty clear that their main intended market at least for the first gen product are very thin devices where you typically see 15w out of a fan+fin solution. Unfortunately, those devices are generally expected to have a ton of battery life so if they can't get draw under control they may be kind of DOA.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VorpalFish posted:

It's not intended to use a fin stack at all, iirc - sticks directly on a heat pipe or vapor chamber and the dissipation magic happens on the bottom of the jet.

Sounds like it should use a fin stack then? Even a short one would give it massively more surface area to work with.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sounds like it should use a fin stack then? Even a short one would give it massively more surface area to work with.

The exhaust air is already hot by the time it leaves the device, and there's not a lot of it.

https://youtu.be/WibczqINifA

At about 530 the dude explains how it's supposed to work mostly. A lot of their early marketing claimed max 1w draw for the minis.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I want it to blast the skin off my hands like a little hot air jet.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Hope y'all can give me a place to start, my wife needs a new laptop, she wants at least a 16" screen, mostly using it for web/dnd stuff, video conferences and some light personal photo editing, only must haves are a num pad and an SD card slot.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s dumb as poo poo isn’t it lol

This is a good replacement for the Armoury Crate stuff

https://github.com/seerge/g-helper

I just wanted to say thank you so much for this. This little app convinced me to throw a fresh Windows 11 install on my Strix 15 for the first time since I got it, and it seems to work wonderfully.

Install went amazingly smoothly. I installed the MyAsus app to get a few specific drivers from Asus and for its handy battery charging limit, but pretty much everything else I could get from the MS Store, or just updated through Windows Update. Even the Dolby Access software that I was worried wouldn't work afterwards downloaded and runs perfectly. After maybe an hour of tweaking, it feels factory fresh, just without that bloated ArmouryCrate software. And this may just be a placebo type observation, but it actually seems to be running a hair cooler while doing mundane web-browsing type stuff. The "Silent" profile that I used so commonly with ArmouryCrate seems to work exactly the same with G-Helper.

Honestly, the most annoying thing about the whole process was forgetting my Steam login, but thankfully I had all my games stored on the secondary m.2 drive so even that was a non-event.

E: The ROG/ArmouryCrate key above the keyboard even brings up the little G-Helper window! nifty!

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rakeris posted:

Hope y'all can give me a place to start, my wife needs a new laptop, she wants at least a 16" screen, mostly using it for web/dnd stuff, video conferences and some light personal photo editing, only must haves are a num pad and an SD card slot.

15.6 ok or is 16 firm?

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/16668566

Would be the cheap option. She want something with more umph?