Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
My vassals constantly going to war against each other, loving up my realm and interrupting my travel all the time :mad:

I swear once I have high crown authority I'm revoking EVERYONE'S titles and then it's going to local rulers and everyone else gets thrown in the dungeon. gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm trying to finish iberia but I'm having a hugely hard time trying to convert culture for everyone.

I'm sat at like 25/60 and I've attempted everything I can think of. I've revoked titles and replaced people, reformed the culture etc. I've spent 3 lifetimes trying to finish this up and it's getting annoying now. The other option is to give away half the country and do it under a different phase but I don't really want to give up half my kingdom.

I also have taken over all of Italy and the game doesn't recognise it so I can't dismantle the papacy either.

Edit: while I'm thinking about it, what's everyone doing with all the extra artefacts you get? I destroy the low level ones but I have a poo poo load of blue ones I don't know what to do with tbh

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 21, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Did the mass ransom button screw up for anyone else? It works in that the prisoners are released, but I don’t think I’m actually collecting any money. If I ransom individually it still works, but I noticed it twice before I stopped using the mass button.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Bird in a Blender posted:

Did the mass ransom button screw up for anyone else? It works in that the prisoners are released, but I don’t think I’m actually collecting any money. If I ransom individually it still works, but I noticed it twice before I stopped using the mass button.

Yeah, I saw it confirmed in a bug report on their forums

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I'm trying to finish iberia but I'm having a hugely hard time trying to convert culture for everyone.

I'm sat at like 25/60 and I've attempted everything I can think of. I've revoked titles and replaced people, reformed the culture etc. I've spent 3 lifetimes trying to finish this up and it's getting annoying now. The other option is to give away half the country and do it under a different phase but I don't really want to give up half my kingdom.

I also have taken over all of Italy and the game doesn't recognise it so I can't dismantle the papacy either.

Edit: while I'm thinking about it, what's everyone doing with all the extra artefacts you get? I destroy the low level ones but I have a poo poo load of blue ones I don't know what to do with tbh

Artifacts: Gift them to landed dynasty members! A lot have a bunch of +reknown on them, and even if they don't the AI doesn't really fill up their court the way players do, so there's room to buff them.

Papacy: There's some fiddly conditions, like Italy vs Italia vs Continental Italy, or how the pope needs to not be at war and have no land which turns out to be VERY HARD as he has vassals halfway across the world that he'll steal land from to keep himself floating.

Iberia: gently caress the culture condition, it's one of those poorly thought out things like the Runestone Cheevo. Most people work their way around it by gaming the conditions and diverging culture and/or limiting its spread. I forget the details but if you check the wiki on decisions you'll probably get a lightbulb moment.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I briefly tried playing a Norse chieftain in the 800s and goddamn it's just everyone attacking one another all the time. How does anyone get any work done?

EDIT: Sorry, can't write this epic because we have to kill one another all the time.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 22, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Leave enough troops home to fend off neighboring raiders, as the AI instantly knows when you've overcommited onto foreign land, somehow. It's mostly about generating prestige via raid-bait-fighting, using that prestige to buy VV's, then repeating/snowballing from there. People leave you alone once you're big enough that your afk levies scare them. (Protip: do NOT go past duchy level, almost all cool decisions turn off at kingdom level)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I briefly tried playing a Norse chieftain in the 800s and goddamn it's just everyone attacking one another all the time. How does anyone get any work done?

EDIT: Sorry, can't write this epic because we have to kill one another all the time.

Yea, you gotta watch how many alliances you make because they will be calling you into three wars at a time.

I made the mistake of allying with the Byzantines and I was defending them against three faction wars at once. I did rack up a lot of prestige at least.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Oh poo poo, I didn't know the in game ladies actually track you down if you have a tussle with them and then present your bastard child to you. Legit felt bad in the moment and took em in to court.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If you 'lay' with a lady but aren't her lover, can't you just deny the allegation and avoid getting adulterer/fornicator traits?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Just imprison and execute her, cleave the baby in two :black101:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Serephina posted:

Artifacts: Gift them to landed dynasty members! A lot have a bunch of +reknown on them, and even if they don't the AI doesn't really fill up their court the way players do, so there's room to buff them.

Papacy: There's some fiddly conditions, like Italy vs Italia vs Continental Italy, or how the pope needs to not be at war and have no land which turns out to be VERY HARD as he has vassals halfway across the world that he'll steal land from to keep himself floating.

Iberia: gently caress the culture condition, it's one of those poorly thought out things like the Runestone Cheevo. Most people work their way around it by gaming the conditions and diverging culture and/or limiting its spread. I forget the details but if you check the wiki on decisions you'll probably get a lightbulb moment.

I actually worked out the iberia thing by doing the foothold condition and also sorted my papacy issues as it turned out I was missing a duchy which was part of the Byzantine empire and looked nothing like it needed to be part of Italy.

Was all a waste of time anyway as for whatever reason the game turned off achievements mid game so I wasted 2 days of playing chasing that. I'm not bitter at all

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

binge crotching posted:

Grand tours give you a chance to imprison half your vassals when they refuse tribute, so it's automatically useful.

A bunch of my rear end in a top hat vassals also got hooks on me when I did a huge tour. I didn't even realize it was happening until one used theirs to remove their refuse tribute crime.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

No Pants posted:

A bunch of my rear end in a top hat vassals also got hooks on me when I did a huge tour. I didn't even realize it was happening until one used theirs to remove their refuse tribute crime.

Yeah it is kind of annoying when people get hooks on you during pulse events in some of the activities; I had a grand wedding where I swear like two dozen people got a hook on me somehow.

It's pretty strange, must've been something specific, because I've hosted a lot of grand weddings and that's only happened once. But I don't really know what it was since I'm quite positive I didn't see any specific event for it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Serephina posted:

If you 'lay' with a lady but aren't her lover, can't you just deny the allegation and avoid getting adulterer/fornicator traits?

PancakeTransmission posted:

Just imprison and execute her, cleave the baby in two :black101:

I dunno I am just a loser and can't do that. Conversely, I will expend far more in-game resources than is smart in order to be vindictive towards fake videogame characters who hosed with me. Eating tyranny to imprison you so I can torture you every 5 years isn't a problem.

edit:

I ended up taking everything he and his family had and called it a day. Some minor relative was willing to pay me money so I gave up him up. Now he wanders around smoking hash.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 22, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Serephina posted:

Seems like we need a midieval Jerry Springer.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

MikeC posted:

I dunno I am just a loser and can't do that. Conversely, I will expend far more in-game resources than is smart in order to be vindictive towards fake videogame characters who hosed with me. Eating tyranny to imprison you so I can torture you every 5 years isn't a problem.

CK3 is at its best when you role play properly imo.

I am currently slowly eating my way through Africa and whenever a neighbouring realm gets too powerful their ruler suddenly has an accident, and the next ruler, and the next, until the whole thing tears itself apart and I pick up the scraps. Meanwhile, everyone loves me because I bring stability and lots of feasts and majestic grand tours and opulent weddings (financed by looting and ransoming the scraps I pick up). So the courtiers in neighbouring courts like me and like to join my schemes. I took as many culture acceptance and foreign courtier bonuses as I could.

I'm at a dozen dead neighbouring rulers and counting, just one murder scheme after another.

I also took all the mines in Africa for myself.

I'm the good gal. :sun:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I've been pretty absorbed in ck3 after this patch and dlc... think it was a good 'un. Feels like its really tracing its own path forward now out of the shadow of 2

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The AEIOU achievement they added would be a miserable speed 5 slog before this DLC, but with all the event bullshit you can get up to it's actually reasonably entertaining, at least initially. I imagine stuff like Kings to the Seventh Generation (starting as Eudes in 867) is more fun too now that your character feels like an actual protagonist, but I got that one out of the way already.

I feel like the game still falls apart after a couple of centuries due to the way stats and your relative power typically inflates, but the early game feels much better now.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 22, 2023

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Wilekat posted:

I feel like the game still falls apart after a couple of centuries due to the way stats and your relative power typically inflates, but the early game feels much better now.

I never had an issue with the early game as I had plenty to do - tend my garden (build my holdings), plan succession etc. But now I am able to make 90 prowess monsters (without any genetics - with those I'd be at 100) that can earn 2000 gold just for touring, make all your vassals either like you (or get free imprisonment reasons), or get easy dread.

The mid to late game needs way more balance.

Currently the worst thing about tournaments is not qualifying (usually this is the insta-fail despite having a heap of progress - probably another bug), and being forced to sit through a bunch of dialogues about Nobody 1 beating Nobody 2. And you can't do anything else until you've sat through them. I'd rather be able to take a prestige hit and leave early!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Serephina posted:

using that prestige to buy VV's

What are VV's?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Varangian Veterans, a special MaA unit only available to north Germanic cultures. They are super powerful, the best unit in the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Trying to convert that many counties is a fools errand. The important thing to know is that you only have to mono-culture your primary title (or maybe it's capital kingdom?), which you can also switch at will. So culture convert one of the smaller kingdom titles, make it your primary title (revoke the historical capital and move your capital there if required), hit the button, then switch your primary title and move back.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You can only move your realm capital once per lifetime though right?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Dick Trauma posted:

What are VV's?

Sorry for the lingo, as the above poster said they're Vangerian Veterans, the most expensive men-at-arms in the game and worth every penny. I should also clarify that 'raid-bait-fighting' is using raids to antagonize the locals into a fight, as winning fights vs people you didn't declare war on1 gives you raw prestige instead of merely fame. The AI is curiously blind about quality vs quantity in armies, so once you get a few solid MaA they'll gleefully suicide 2000 levies into your 2000 vangerians + knights thinking its a fair fight, getting obliterated instantly and granting stupid amounts of prestige and piety (since they're heathens!). The raid gold itself is almost irrelevant compared to quickly skyrocketing your tribal guy to maxed fame levels and maxed troops, it's silly how few years it takes if you're able to raid freely.

1Likewise with joining your ally as the aggresors, etc etc. Basically fighting 'defensive' wars or the orange 'hostile' armies are loot pinatas.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Don't forget Malta below Sicily and Verona (which the ducal title actually includes three county level ones). When i varangian slapped the Pope and went down that path, it was those two that took me the longest time to realize i was missing.

If not those, double check the northern dejure border counties. You may have gotten an extra one that isn't actually dejure Italia and neglected one that actually is.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Learning the Intrigue playstyle. Dang. This feels ... incredibly powerful, especially when playing as a Vassal that's the actual power behind the throne. 1066 start is quite nice for this as things are more settled so you can chill behind your liege, whereas it doesn't really work in 867 outside the most civilized areas since really want Feudal.

Took me a while to figure out how to make money (Abduct / Ransom) and potentially dipping into Stewardship as well. I feel like the Building rework means you really want to prioritize getting $$ buildings first and only later worry about specializing counties for your MaA since you'll be too poor otherwise (at least as Feudal).

re: Abduct / Ransom -- is there a better way to find targets than to go around neighboring kingdoms / empires and check % on Ruler / Heir / Spouse / Family? It's a bit tedious since the %s can vary quite a bit.

Would love ideas for traditions / legacies / tenets to pursue for the Intrigue lifestyle. It feels like you really want to go all-in on Intrigue, perhaps dipping into Stewardship briefly (to pick up Golden Obligation and This is MY Domain once you have vassals). That +10 agent acceptance is so nice. Unsure whether Torturer is "worth it" over getting more of Avaricious and Architect. Maybe it's better to go all in with Intrigue with one character then if the heir isn't well suited, go Stewardship with that character, build up? How do folks build their Intrigue playthroughs? All intrigue all the time?

Also learning how to use Theocratic Vassals -- though I can only seem to get one if I grant a county to someone who is already a theocratic ruler -- i.e. the county seat is a temple. Is that correct?

I agree Tournaments are too micro-y -- I feel like I want to sit on that screen and advance tick by tick so I can get the most of out of the building events. Might have been nicer to been like "give me the priorities for the events you want to visit" instead of literally clicking on the buildings (and the events on the buildings are very samey -- I've seen the Papal costume one way too many times already). It's also weird that they take months to complete a board game competition or a recital? That should a few days at most!

As Diarch/Regent, I stopped getting Tournament invites entirely -- I assume I didn't get them because I can't travel outside the Realm? (It won't let me go on a Pilgrimage either). Is there a way to unassign yourself as Regent?

Travel is pretty amazing at making the world feel more real -- though now it makes it weird that you can still teleport generals around, or those "I'll map the forest myself" Scheme events that just ... let you do so.

Sadly had one playthrough get stuck to a insta-crash while traveling to a Tournament -- it's Ironman and it crashes as soon as I unpause :( Also have seen my share of broken tooltips where things aren't working right.

I'm having to manually "Arrange Marriage" for betrothals I've set up, without a pop-up reminding me to do so. I swear there used to be one.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Torturer itself (or rather, Forever Infamous) is cute but rather expensive compared to just topping up dread occasionally. Dark Insights is totally worth it tho. I generally don't abduct for money as I always felt the spymaster digging up dirt was enough gold blackmail gold via Golden Obligatons. Well, that and all the gold from twisting the pope's arm.

For legacies, the Intrigue one is just too little too late, as are the rest of the 'five lifestyles' ones - paradox still releasing actually good DLC legacies while letting the originals rot bugs me a bit. Go blood for inbreeding (the only lifestyle synergy you'll see) or whatever else floats your boat.
edit: Be careful with encouraging your dynasty/culture to plot incessantly. Doing evil yourself is fun, but when the AI gets up to it you end up with everyone dropping dead constantly for no good reason and a lot of inbred babies.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 22, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

In a duel against my daughter, playing as a female ruler:

-40 opinion, but worth it

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Bird in a Blender posted:

You can only move your realm capital once per lifetime though right?

You can change it to your primary title's capital as many times as you want.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Does anyone else suddenly have a problem with the game becoming sluggish and unresponsive? Loading (and also) saving now suddenly takes forever, and it seems to get worse for each day :(

I've been saving for two minutes straight now and this isn't normal...

E: Loading a game now takes 10-15 minutes. This only started a few days ago and has become worse and worse. Send help!

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 22, 2023

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Don't forget Malta below Sicily and Verona (which the ducal title actually includes three county level ones). When i varangian slapped the Pope and went down that path, it was those two that took me the longest time to realize i was missing.

If not those, double check the northern dejure border counties. You may have gotten an extra one that isn't actually dejure Italia and neglected one that actually is.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think I will stick to less exciting cultures for now because I'm still struggling with those even though they're more familiar to me from playing them in CK2. A couple of things that I'm still hung up on:

1. I like to start in the 800s but when I do my rules get stuck in "tribal" mode. I looked at the innovations from the tribal era in case I missed something that I needed to research in order to move on to feudal but even in the 1000s my rulers were still flagged as tribal, with the commensurate restrictions.

2. I don't know how to manage MaA. I see that I can increase their size, and create new units but I can't figure out how to prioritize them against things like new/upgraded buildings and creating new holdings. If I raise armies to go fight is it possible to send one of these MaA units back to the capital for protection against counter-attacks?

EDIT:
I'm at the point where I can enjoy CK3 but gosh there is so much that I don't understand. I don't expect to get deep into any computer game anymore, I just want to know enough to have fun so I appreciate the help everyone's providing.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 22, 2023

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

alcaras posted:

Learning the Intrigue playstyle. Dang. This feels ... incredibly powerful, especially when playing as a Vassal that's the actual power behind the throne. 1066 start is quite nice for this as things are more settled so you can chill behind your liege, whereas it doesn't really work in 867 outside the most civilized areas since really want Feudal.

Took me a while to figure out how to make money (Abduct / Ransom) and potentially dipping into Stewardship as well. I feel like the Building rework means you really want to prioritize getting $$ buildings first and only later worry about specializing counties for your MaA since you'll be too poor otherwise (at least as Feudal).

usually if i get a young intrigue focused character i choose stewardship as a focus and get the first-level perk that let's you demand payment for hooks. then switch back to intrigue focus and choose the first-level fabricate hook perk. very easy way to make money

e: ah you mention this later in the post

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dick Trauma posted:

I think I will stick to less exciting cultures for now because I'm still struggling with those even though they're more familiar to me from playing them in CK2. A couple of things that I'm still hung up on:

1. I like to start in the 800s but when I do my rules get stuck in "tribal" mode. I looked at the innovations from the tribal era in case I missed something that I needed to research in order to move on to feudal but even in the 1000s my rulers were still flagged as tribal, with the commensurate restrictions.

2. I don't know how to manage MaA. I see that I can increase their size, and create new units but I can't figure out how to prioritize them against things like new/upgraded buildings and creating new holdings. If I raise armies to go fight is it possible to send one of these MaA units back to the capital for protection against counter-attacks?

EDIT:
I'm at the point where I can enjoy CK3 but gosh there is so much that I don't understand. I don't expect to get deep into any computer game anymore, I just want to know enough to have fun so I appreciate the help everyone's providing.

1. to become feudal you have to use the "Adopt Feudal Ways” decision. You can check the requirements on the decision window. One thing you will need is an organized faith. That means that if you are pagan, you will need to reform the faith first. That or convert to an organized faith, like christianism or islam

2. to be honest now that they changed a lot about MaA, Im not sure about some of those things too. But usually, more MaA is good. And the stronger you can get. And having max MaA usually more useful than these most other stuff cause they are very strong.

An d after you raise your armies, you can split them any way you want. But having 1 MaA split to protect the capital is probably not a good idea never: first because usually you want to keep all your troops together (or at least near), specially early game. Second because 1 unit of MaA wont be able to protect you from much

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 22, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The gist of it is with MaA is to pick one type and stick with it, and add in the most current level of siege weapons. For example, if you have 6 available regiments, do 4 of one type and 2 siege weapons. The reason you want to stick with one type is how countering works in the game, which I don’t have time to go into detail, and others have done a really good job explaining how it works.

With MaA, they have four stats, damage, toughness, pursuit, and screen. Damage is essentially attack power, and toughness is how many hits they can take before dying. Pursuit is what happens at the end of the battle and the loser is trying to retreat. High pursuit numbers mean more die during this phase. Screen is the counter this, where high screen numbers let you retreat with less losses. Screen is not really worth paying attention to because it doesn’t apply if you just win your battles all the time.

Heavy cavalry are normally the most powerful units in the game, but they aren’t available at the beginning, and are also expensive. I almost always stick with all heavy infantry (or a special heavy infantry unit like Varangian veterans) and add heavy cav later, sometimes I stick with heavy infantry the whole game.

Levies are worth 10 damage and 10 toughness, so very weak. Light infantry I think are the same, so never get light infantry.

Essentially like around the military info and it’ll start filling in some info about the best units to pick.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Elias_Maluco posted:

1. to become feudal you have to use the "Adopt Feudal Ways” decision. You can check the requirements on the decision window. One thing you will need is an organized faith. That means that if you are pagan, you will need to reform the faith first. That or convert to an organized faith, like christianism or islam

2. to be honest now that they changed a lot about MaA, Im not sure about some of those things too. But usually, more MaA is good. And the stronger you can get. And having max MaA usually more useful than these most other stuff cause they are very strong.

An d after you raise your armies, you can split them any way you want. But having 1 MaA split to protect the capital is probably not a good idea never: first because usually you want to keep all your troops together (or at least near), specially early game. Second because 1 unit of MaA wont be able to protect you from much

The TLDR for MaA strategy is that you want units with the highest base attack/defense stats since all buildings add a +% scaling factor. That's why VVs are everyone's go-to noob masser unit since it has 45 attack and 33 defense. So when you compare that to something like Light Footmen who have a base 10/18, you can see that even if you pimp out the LF buildings to 160%, it won't even come close to matching VV's base numbers. Now VVs cost a lot more but keep in mind, you can't have infinite MAA slots. So the MAA slots you do have should be your most powerful units. Also in battles, you don't get your entire army engaged at the same time. Only a certain % of your troops fight until they die and are replaced. So this adds another disadvantage to high numbers of low-power troops and favours smaller armies with high attack/defense since you can jam a higher % of this small elite army into the fight.

Finally, the counter system isn't strong enough. Typically it takes a 2 to 1 counter ratio to reduce a unit to its minimum effectiveness at 10% damage dealt. But what countering doesn't do is reduce the toughness in any way of the unit being countered. So your 10 attack Light Foot are still going up against 33 defense Varagians. Since it takes a 2 to 1 ratio to neuter them, if you just mass the best unit (VVs or Heavy Cav) there is no way for them to bring the damage multiplier down to a number where they still don't get crushed. I was hoping with TnT and the stationing system, they would tone down the numbers of just add a flat attack/defense bonus so scaling wouldn't be so out of control. But instead, we still have damage numbers that are through the roof and elite units and knights just churning through hordes of bad MAAs and levies.

Finally, pursuit and screening are largely meaningless because since the AI builds trash MAAs, but the player is smart and stacks Varangians, battles always end in the first phase which means it's an auto stack wipe.

If you have elite MAAs like VVs then you can absolutely split one off to guard the capital. A size 10 VV with a decent commander and some token levies to soak damage will likely ruin any AI army that comes along.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

MikeC posted:

Finally, the counter system isn't strong enough. Typically it takes a 2 to 1 counter ratio to reduce a unit to its minimum effectiveness at 10% damage dealt. But what countering doesn't do is reduce the toughness in any way of the unit being countered. So your 10 attack Light Foot are still going up against 33 defense Varagians. Since it takes a 2 to 1 ratio to neuter them, if you just mass the best unit (VVs or Heavy Cav) there is no way for them to bring the damage multiplier down to a number where they still don't get crushed. I was hoping with TnT and the stationing system, they would tone down the numbers of just add a flat attack/defense bonus so scaling wouldn't be so out of control. But instead, we still have damage numbers that are through the roof and elite units and knights just churning through hordes of bad MAAs and levies.

Great writeup of the problems that remain, but I appreciate this part in particular because the counter math is tweakable in defines so I'm wondering if a little low effort change there could make a big difference. I'll have to try that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My starting bishop had a fairly low skill level and was a different culture so I decided to murder him as soon as I swayed my spymaster to think favorably of me. The plan was to sprinkle poison on a gift of some gold bars. Seemed like a good idea!

Then I get an event where my toddler reports that they aren't feeling well since they helped me pack the gift for my bishop. :smith:

Well that bishop definitely had to die, but he got replaced with a dude who has a skill of 6. To go with my steward who has 4 and my chancellor who has 5. I think they were all recruited from a Frankish version of Blackadder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

It has to be a goon who thinks hunchbacks are simultaneously handsome. What a weird trait mix.