Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

HonorableTB posted:

Til you see how many Russians it took out of the fight and for how long

Yeah, people kept comparing Bakhmut to Stalingrad, but I really thought more of Kursk, where the Nazis just ground themselves down to a nub just be counterattacked into dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If I learned that Lavrov's family was celebrating in a resort nearby, I think I would get quite irate, and creative. Like maybe rent a digger and accidentally cut electricity and water to the place. Consequences, schmonsequences! :killdozer:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nenonen posted:

If I learned that Lavrov's family was celebrating in a resort nearby, I think I would get quite irate, and creative. Like maybe rent a digger and accidentally cut electricity and water to the place. Consequences, schmonsequences! :killdozer:

I was listening to the "Helluva A Way To Die" podcast and Joe Kassabian lives in Armenia and frequently goes to Georgia and he was going on about how both countries are filled with "visiting" Russians right now and the public is getting tired of them, especially Georgia, for all the reasons you could imagine.

I have no loving idea why Lavrov's next of kin would visit this place when they could have just stayed in Russia.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Young Freud posted:

I was listening to the "Helluva A Way To Die" podcast and Joe Kassabian lives in Armenia and frequently goes to Georgia and he was going on about how both countries are filled with "visiting" Russians right now and the public is getting tired of them, especially Georgia, for all the reasons you could imagine.

I have no loving idea why Lavrov's next of kin would visit this place when they could have just stayed in Russia.

it's honestly kinda weird that ive only had one "fuckin russians" moment on this trip (as a russian-speaking american that normally defaults to russian in post-soviet countries because english is a crapshoot)

it was in tajikistan to boot, arguably one of the more russia-friendly former republics. ain't nobody wearing "Tajikistan" clothing (with the exception of the national football team, which was inexplicably staying at my hotel), but plenty of people wearing "Russia" jackets or hats (usually with the english spelling for god knows what reason)

shoutout to the one kid wearing an "СССР" jacket

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://www.iswresearch.org/2023/04/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment_11.html?m=1

ISW should probably employ somebody from Russia or Ukraine because they got got by a loving telegram shitpost (a joke chain "petition" passed among anti-war journalists and bloggers to mock Leopards Eating Faces party)

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

interesting analyse from Girkin, not just about the capture of Bakhmut, but Russia's force strength in generel. As usual he is not positive, especially about Russia's ammunition situation,
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1660273337744982023

Interestingly this seems to be acknowledged by Russia's propagandists.
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1660349857888976897

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Atreiden posted:

Margo should set the example, I am sure she would sacrifice her nailwork for motherland :ussr:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Atreiden posted:

very funny, I guess the next step is to ask Russian citizens to use their magic powers to conjure missing materials out of thin air, too

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Libluini posted:

very funny, I guess the next step is to ask Russian citizens to use their magic powers to conjure missing materials out of thin air, too

Potassium nitrate for gunpowder can be produced from human waste, so get making GBS threads tovarisch!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

poo poo, why didn't NATO countries think of asking volunteers to help at ammo factories? :negative:

Aftermath of Lapua cartridge factory explosion in 1976. 40 workers died.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fatherboxx posted:

https://www.iswresearch.org/2023/04/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment_11.html?m=1

ISW should probably employ somebody from Russia or Ukraine because they got got by a loving telegram shitpost (a joke chain "petition" passed among anti-war journalists and bloggers to mock Leopards Eating Faces party)

isw daily briefs that they put up on twitter are written up by like some intern who just puts down whatever poo poo they saw on twitter

Atreiden posted:

interesting analyse from Girkin, not just about the capture of Bakhmut, but Russia's force strength in generel. As usual he is not positive, especially about Russia's ammunition situation,
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1660273337744982023

verstka did an investigative piece a week or two back where they talked to people working in russian munition factories and common themes were 1) staffing shortages were bad enough that they couldn't actually fill a third shift 2) pay was poo poo so motivation was low 3) because of 2, they struggled to hire/retain people. 4) sometimes they weren't getting paid at all. none of the struggles are really that that surprising: it's hard and expensive to hugely scale up production of anything

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 21, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

verstka did an investigative piece a week or two back where they talked to people working in russian munition factories and common themes were 1) staffing shortages were bad enough that they couldn't actually fill a third shift 2) pay was poo poo so motivation was low 3) because of 2, they struggled to hire/retain people. 4) sometimes they weren't getting paid at all. none of the struggles are really that that surprising: it's hard and expensive to hugely scale up production of anything

Maybe they should try prisoners?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

Oops! Didn’t they all get sent to the meat grinder already?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Djarum posted:

Oops! Didn’t they all get sent to the meat grinder already?

It would get nasty real fast. Law Enforcement would be asked to provide steady supply of able bodies.
"We know you're spy, sign confession and you get to work in a work camp*, refuse and you get sent to Wagner"

*good ol' GULAG

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
This question is kind of odd but why is Russia still throwing armored vehicles into random attacks across the front line? I can't really get my head around wasting stuff when you're, in theory, waiting for an offensive. Are there individual commanders feeling pressure to more or less "look busy?"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

alex314 posted:

It would get nasty real fast. Law Enforcement would be asked to provide steady supply of able bodies.
"We know you're spy, sign confession and you get to work in a work camp*, refuse and you get sent to Wagner"

*good ol' GULAG

Feel like sending accused foreign spies to the front lines is a bit detrimental.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Bashez posted:

This question is kind of odd but why is Russia still throwing armored vehicles into random attacks across the front line? I can't really get my head around wasting stuff when you're, in theory, waiting for an offensive. Are there individual commanders feeling pressure to more or less "look busy?"

Considering how well their various "organized" armored offensives have gone, random disorganized attacks might actually be better statistically for Russia. At least if 1 tank runs blindly into a random minefield he won't have his 4 comrades lemming train into the exact same minefield after him.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

They have that new doctrine where tanks are backing up offensives at a low level, organizationally speaking.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://therecord.media/nato-ccdcoe-ukraine-iceland-ireland-japan

quote:

The flags of Ukraine, the Republic of Ireland, Iceland and Japan were hoisted in Tallinn, Estonia, on Tuesday as the four nations officially joined NATO’s Cooperative Cyber Defense Center of Excellence (CCDCOE).

The CCDCOE was founded in 2008, a few years after Estonia joined NATO, in the wake of a wave of cyberattacks targeting the country when it relocated a Soviet war memorial from the center of the capital Tallinn to a military cemetery a few kilometers away.

The digital attempts to hobble the country were groundbreaking. They showed what a nation could face as a result of cyber hostilities and prompted a major research effort into cyberwarfare at NATO, which resulted in the creation of the center of excellence as well as the Tallinn Manual, examining how international law applied to cyber conflict.

As of its 15th anniversary on Tuesday, the CCDCOE is an accredited international military organization with more than 30 NATO members, as well as participation from other democratic countries including Australia, South Korea and Switzerland. Iceland is a NATO member, although it doesn’t have a standing army, the other three new CCDCOE members are not in the military alliance.

Mart Norma, the organization’s director, said he was “truly grateful that Ireland, Iceland, Japan, and Ukraine have decided to join us” and said the CCDCOE was “delighted to have like-minded nations sharing cyber knowledge and exchanging methods to systematically address cyber attacks.”

Ukraine received particular welcome from Hanno Pevkur, Estonia’s minister of defense, who said its membership “offers a unique opportunity to simultaneously contribute to Ukraine’s defence in Russia’s brutal war and learn from the cyber battlefield to improve the cyber security of all members.”

Seems low key like a big deal.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Aside from the millions of reasons why I'd not want to be working in a russian ammo factory, I suppose you can add "must work alongside press-ganged untrained laborers who could easily do a whoopsie, torch the whole place, and have me die a nightmare death"

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Bashez posted:

Perun talked a bit in one his videos that part of the Russian command system works on a bunch of variables being fed into a "calculation" that the officer then gets a stop or go on an attack. When all feedback is bullshit, the general plugs it into the calculation and gets a green light for attack. If he doesn't attack when he gets a green light he's potentially getting charged for dereliction of duty (or the Russian equivalent).

So basically poo poo in results in poo poo out and you've got failed attacks backed up by failed attacks because everyone is lying.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Recon in force or advance until contact is unfortunately a neccessity. I would assume this is the intent of whomever is ordering such assaults, whether the Russians are doing so according to their doctrine is another question.
There is also the factor that we are usually only seeing a small section of the battlefield, and that there could be other supporting elements a few hundred meters to their flanks.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Wasn't expecting Ireland to pop up but i guess a lot of :filez: are stored/come and go through it these days.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

If you know anything about Ukrainian cyberspace scene, you know it is a big deal. These are the guys who hacked the John Deere tractors, they are the ones who crack most of the games and get most of the leaks. Well, at least before the war, but Ukrainian hackers are really, really good.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Wasn't expecting Ireland to pop up but i guess a lot of :filez: are stored/come and go through it these days.

We also had the biggest ransomware attack on a health agency back in 2021, so that probably solidified opinions on the threat posed by Russian hacking.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Last year Hungary blocked Ukraine from joining using the excise that the Hungarian language is oppressed in Ukraine and then Orban went to Moscow and had that champagne photoshoot with Putin. This was either Feb or Jan 2022

I want to know what the hell kind of wrestling and dealmaking is going on besides the scenes

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Some fighting at the border checkpoint in Belgorod region

https://twitter.com/666_mancer/status/1660579242923401217?t=TvMqA-iyuE5i2BbWEcHSBA&s=19

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1660571119026425857?t=2ITjR8QrnjY-ARMed1sapQ&s=19

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 22, 2023

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Oh poo poo we were warned that this was going to happen, the crazed Ukrs are invading Russia, which is Putin's red line and now nuclear was is about to begin. Farewell everyone :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nenonen posted:

Remember the french munitions full of Vietnamese solidarity notes?

That except love letters from the totally pro-goverment Vory V Zakone

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Somaen posted:

Oh poo poo we were warned that this was going to happen, the crazed Ukrs are invading Russia, which is Putin's red line and now nuclear was is about to begin. Farewell everyone :(

No, it's all Russians. Technically 'Russian Seperatists' for ultimate lols. No Ukrainians here, now move along.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OzyMandrill posted:

No, it's all Russians. Technically 'Russian Seperatists' for ultimate lols. No Ukrainians here, now move along.

Not separatists, just, uh, radical opposition.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OzyMandrill posted:

A neat trick to dodge the escalation worries!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^
Hey, if they can spend 8 years pretending Russia wasn't involved in Donbass...

Paladinus posted:

Not separatists, just, uh, radical opposition.

Yeah, whose particular flavor of "radical" is not very pleasant.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm assuming that this is do divert Russian troops from the frontlines?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Willo567 posted:

Might also be a diversion to spoil Russia's propaganda win in Bakhmut.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A spokesperson for the Main Directorate of Intelligence of Ukrainain MoD had this to say:

quote:

The events in the Belgorod region and other territories near Russia's border are the result of Putin's full-scale invasion and aggressive war against Ukraine. Yes, the responsibility for these events was taken by Russian citizens, namely the forces of the RVC and the Freedom of Russia Legion. I think we can all only welcome the decisive actions of opposition-minded citizens of the Russian Federation who are ready to fight the criminal Putin regime with weapons.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are they the same guys who went on a field trip to a Russian town some months ago?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Do we know how large the group crossing into Belgorod is? I saw that they had a few armored vehicles

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Paladinus posted:

A spokesperson for the Main Directorate of Intelligence of Ukrainain MoD had this to say:

"conveniently they have obtained a number of russian tanks, as we understand, from a shop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Willo567 posted:

If they stop at doing drivebys and return, it won't divert anything, but anything to make FSB lose their poo poo is valuable short term