Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For the Deku Tree Hands, and Hands in general;

Aside from what everyone else has suggested, just use Spears on them. The long reach keeps the Gloom at the base of them away just out of reach of you as you jab the poo poo outta them. Also make some Sundelion-enhanced food to treat the Gloom'ed hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that being said, i just finished it, though i definitely didn't complete everything on the way there. like 95 shrines done and about half the depths mapped out, most of the major sidequests completed, none of the superbosses (didn't kill a single gleeok)

regarding the final stretch, it was tenser than i thought it'd be, mainly due to my extremely boneheaded decision not to take many gloom heal/resist items on the way there. i figured i'd get at least one freebie heal before the big boss fight but no, you've got gloom whittling you down the entire time you're there, which was a smart gameplay decision even if it had me grinding my teeth. i couldn't figure out ganon's flurry dodge follow-ups for the life of me

obviously the game was very good, but the story's shallowness took a lot of oomph out of the denouement. all the main cutscenes being bland exposition didn't give me much reason to be invested in anyone involved and ganondorf himself left me cold in much the same way he did in TP - plenty of style, but no substance other than "haw haw haw i'm so drat evil". i honestly preferred calamity ganon because at least that one didn't monologue at me before i chopped it down

i also looked up the reward you get for finishing every single shrine and i can't believe link becomes a furry

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I need to remember I have puffshrooms more often, they're really powerful and give you multiple free backstabs at will

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I still have not beat the game. I tried once earlier and got my rear end kicked. I've spent every minute playing the last several days tracking down shrines instead. I've finally beaten all 152 shrines. Thank god for the sensor or I wouldn't have found like 30 of these things they're hidden so well. I've now got what appears to be full hearts at 38. There's also an additional prize as well: You get a suit of the Ancient Hero. Which is the one from the Calamity Mural with the red hair and tail. It's a Zonai looking suit like Rauru or Mineru. And it's a one piece suit, not three parts like others. Very cool looking.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Puffshrooms are perhaps the strongest consumable in the game for fighting crowds of mooks, just 20 second stunlock of a entire area and you can always throw another.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

poor life choice posted:

Where are people placing their travel medallions? I feel like I can get just about anywhere pretty quickly with skydiving.

For anyone that has maxed out your energy cell: is there a place to dump extra crystallized charges, or do they just accumulate in key items? Just curious, I'm not there yet.

I have 2 of mine in the north and south east corners on high skylands that are hard to reach .

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think I’m gonna stop doing shrines so that enemies don’t level up and just do koroks and explore for a while

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Tougher enemies mean better bodyparts to glue to your sticks.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For the Deku Tree Hands, and Hands in general;

Aside from what everyone else has suggested, just use Spears on them. The long reach keeps the Gloom at the base of them away just out of reach of you as you jab the poo poo outta them. Also make some Sundelion-enhanced food to treat the Gloom'ed hearts.

I've killed a few now and have had a lot of success with frost for phase 1, the hands freeze easily and it chunks them, and you freeze multiple at once which keeps them from grabbing you. Phantom Ganon does indeed go down swiftly to a polearm with a good horn on it, on account of that weapon typing being by far the most powerful thing in the game lol

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

The problem with something like this is the economics are not sound, if you are not duping zoanita, is more expesive the trap, than the mats produced.
But has a fun thing to build, is great, of course. I myself made a tank with 6 canons and patrolled the mountains and it was like, yea game, thow more fools at me.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Phantom Ganon like almost every enemy is really easy if you're at all good at dodging. Flurry rush every day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ikanreed posted:

Phantom Ganon like almost every enemy is really easy if you're at all good at dodging. Flurry rush every day.

he actually has a really glaring weakness stairs. He'll just... stand on em and not do anything

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
If you have a multishot bow and you attach a zonai dealy to it can you launch multiple things? What happens when you attach a stake

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tei posted:

The problem with something like this is the economics are not sound, if you are not duping zoanita, is more expesive the trap, than the mats produced.
But has a fun thing to build, is great, of course. I myself made a tank with 6 canons and patrolled the mountains and it was like, yea game, thow more fools at me.

The economics are sound. There's too much zonaite in the depths and you must use it all or next year they'll decrease the budget.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

she's either nice or smart enough that she's not prioritizing personal mansion work over critical and necessary infrastructure work, have you seen the state of the tabantha great bridge?

Yeah, it's way shittier then the LAST time I saw it.

Thanks "princess"!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Tei posted:

I don’t think that was done to be an economical way to kill enemies.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I was riding Farosh through the underground to find out if he was on a regular schedule, fell off when he started to ascend and got jumped by a frox. drat it's not fun trying to figure out how to kill the things.

Got the fucker though.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I wish they could figure out how to tell a compelling story in this framework. The sandbox is amazing, just like BOTW, but man the seams really start to show when you're doing anything related to the "main" quest series.

My favorite example is the copy/pasted conclusion to each of the four dungeons. I know why they're doing it that way, but it feels really cheap when you realize what's happening.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I like the story, but I'm a sucker for the stuff that annoys people and consider most of it including the disjointed way you're likely to discover things that happened a staple of the time fuckery genre in the same way that you know you're gonna see some badass pistols when you pick up something that's cyberpunk. Everything else is just the merry tales of the beautiful idiots that are the Hylians

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I 100% needed the material throwing tutorial. Even with it, I got confused and kept trying to select the material before hitting the throw button.

Yeah, that one was actually worthwhile, I was thinking back through them and it had slipped my mind.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ideally, they would of had 4 separate cutscenes voiced by the 4 depending on the order you did it in advancing the story a bit, but oh well.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just dropped down into the chasm just north of Tarrey Town, was totally not expecting an Obsidian Frox.. I haven't even fought a regular one yet! Warping right out of here.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

I just dropped down into the chasm just north of Tarrey Town, was totally not expecting an Obsidian Frox.. I haven't even fought a regular one yet! Warping right out of here.

I loved that, the way it's mouth was open as you descended was the sort of developer "screw you" that I thought I'd only see in darksouls, was great.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Does the game ever explain what happened to the Zonai because Rauru, Mineru and the sky civilization had to come from somewhere but as far as I can tell that's never talked about? The constructs in the sky seem to talk about having worked for people in the past.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FrickenMoron posted:

Does the game ever explain what happened to the Zonai because Rauru, Mineru and the sky civilization had to come from somewhere but as far as I can tell that's never talked about? The constructs in the sky seem to talk about having worked for people in the past.

There are Zonai Ruins in Faron, so they have been referenced before in the past.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FrickenMoron posted:

Its alluded to in some of the Dragon Tears memories

They were alien invaders who used to rule with an iron fist before all of them except Rauru and Mineru left/were driven off. Rauru especially was a massive outlier for marrying a Hylian according to Ganondorf.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So what is Rauru's design based off of? Like a goat or something?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what is Rauru's design based off of? Like a goat or something?

Well, have you seen the shrine entrances?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Zore posted:

They were alien invaders who used to rule with an iron fist before all of them except Rauru and Mineru left/were driven off. Rauru especially was a massive outlier for marrying a Hylian according to Ganondorf.

Wow, I guess they finally got a use out of the early brainstorming session from BotW's development when they were tossing around ideas about an alien invasion being a major part of the plot

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

I like the story, but I'm a sucker for the stuff that annoys people and consider most of it including the disjointed way you're likely to discover things that happened a staple of the time fuckery genre in the same way that you know you're gonna see some badass pistols when you pick up something that's cyberpunk. Everything else is just the merry tales of the beautiful idiots that are the Hylians

I think the individual pieces are potentially really interesting (I loved the dread and sense of threat you get from the cold open, for example) - the mechanics by which the story is delivered just really let it down.

I could even get down with some disjointed timey-wimey stuff, too, but it doesn’t really feel like they’re doing that kind of thing intentionally with the tears. There’s no good reason for Link to see that stuff out of order and the story itself doesn’t really justify it. It never felt like a compelling mystery or anything that you were gradually unveiling.

It all just really feels like it works the way it does to suit the sandbox, which they feel is more important (probably rightly, given that the game gets most of its juice from people doing weird poo poo and making TikToks about it).

And whatever I’m not like mad about it but if they’re going to stick with this format for the series (which they say they are), it would be cool if the next one focuses in on finding a way to strike a better balance between crafted experience/story and the emergent gameplay they do so well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

404notfound posted:

Well, have you seen the shrine entrances?

lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zore posted:

Maybe there's more after beating the game but I didn't get an "iron fist" from the tear memories? All royalty is bad royalty but wasn't getting an evil vibe.

I am curious if there was anything behind the meso American aesthetics besides they look cool

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Khanstant posted:

Maybe there's more after beating the game but I didn't get an "iron fist" from the tear memories? All royalty is bad royalty but wasn't getting an evil vibe.

I am curious if there was anything behind the meso American aesthetics besides they look cool

Rauru is explicitly called out as an exception. and the implication is that the fact he and his sister aren't enormous assholes is the reason they're still on the planet instead of loving off like the other Zonai

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I got the impression that they were beloved Good Royalty, worshipped as gods, and Ganondorf puts a really negative spin on it because he's a card-carrying villain and that's his only context for a system of government.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I got the impression that they were beloved Good Royalty, worshipped as gods, and Ganondorf puts a really negative spin on it because he's a card-carrying villain and that's his only context for a system of government.

While that's possible, the other Zonai definitely left for some reason and Rauru marrying a Hylian is remarkable enough that no one calls him out or contradicts him when he's saying it.

So while its at least a bit ambiguous, what Ganondorf says is really just about all we have to go on and no one ever actually says he's wrong or lying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It doesn't seem remarkable to consider it remarkable if like, someone married a reptile, or like, even another mammal or ape.

Then again I guess modern humans are a hybrid of sapiens and neanderthal and that's the only time we had 2 different intelligent species communicating or coexisting.

Eh, I still think it would make the news if someone married an alien.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

i don't know what that post is talking about either. we never get a whiff of any malice from the zonai race, just that rauru and mineru were the last of them. sonia was a counselor for rauru whom he greatly respected and they decided to upgrade their relationship at some point. good for them

ganondorf's major objection was that they weren't more evil and "wasted" their powers on state-building instead of rapacious conquest

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

RatHat posted:

It’s a later zonai device

Thanks for the helpful post. :effort:

Looked it up, it's at the North Hyrule Sky Archipelago. Official name is Homing Cart

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, uh, Rauru married Sonia because he loved her. It's not really odd at all; the fact that Ganondorf throws shade on it is a sign that he's a malice elemental. Nobody has anything bad to say about Rauru or the Zonai except Ganondorf, and, I guess, Rauru himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How does bulk gem sale work in this one? I found a lady in Gorgon City who do them, and then there's the shopkeeper in Gerudo Town who mentions the shop owner farting around somewhere. Do I ever get the option of picking which gems to sell in bulk?