Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Also I'm like 95% sure the current Brazilian arms industry exports weapons to the Great Satan itself, iirc the usaf operates at least one Embraer type (or is testing it for purchase)

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

p notorious for those Taurus models that would misfire all the time

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Molothecat posted:

p notorious for those Taurus models that would misfire all the time

Don't forget the one that fires if you shake it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw&t=16s

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

EorayMel posted:

I will not forget that thing you quoted me saying

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Everything's all topsy turvy

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1660386662847766532?t=jPVtOdobMN1l_uG0b1Pg8Q&s=19

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

free hubcaps posted:

Also I'm like 95% sure the current Brazilian arms industry exports weapons to the Great Satan itself, iirc the usaf operates at least one Embraer type (or is testing it for purchase)

I know we have a few super toucans, but I don't know if that's shaking out to be larger scale procurement. drat fine looking aircraft imo, I'd love to take a ride in one.

e:

even from him I'm hesitant to take it as given until more sources come out, but partially just because of how completely insane it would be if after 8-10 months or whatever of resisting russia's efforts to first encircle and then just steamroll Bakhmut Ukraine turns around and effects encirclement in a week and a half. it beggars belief

tiaz fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 21, 2023

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

evilweasel posted:

You should talk to your lawyer since it's been years since I did asylum cases but this seems like it might be an asylum claim.
I thought the same thing but I think you might actually be barred from applying for asylum since you would weirdly have to answer "yes" to the mandatory asylum application bar question of whether you qualify for permanent status in any country besides your own--being in this case through a U.S. spouse via the normal immigration channels

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

free hubcaps posted:

selling weapons to gaddafi and biden, both proud leaders of the global north, is ok because it means the global south gets more money. that money can be used to complain about how unfair it is to sanction russia or to cry about how nobody takes you seriously after you spend months making inane statements about a war you have no interest in but you have to solve because you're a big boy country now and people need to take you seriously!! or buying lots of russian fertilizer so that your entire agricultural sector is entirely dependent on russia. lots of good uses for money in the global south is what i'm saying.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EorayMel posted:

Taurus is just ahead of the game in equality. They're thinking of potential owners who have Parkinson's disease, so being able to fire it by shaking it is a bonus. Has anyone thought about Michael J. Fox maybe wanting a gun?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Why is nobody talking about the true perfidious devils, the global centre?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Operation Uranus 2.0

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

that would be a lot of hustle in 6 hours 🤔

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

That was fast. Hope Russia has time to bus people in and make a few videos of themselves being greeted as liberators.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Flavahbeast posted:

that would be a lot of hustle in 6 hours 🤔

There were reports that on the flanks the Russians were down so many troops that at some points on the line they only have 5 or 6 soldiers per half mile

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

How credible is this? Do we have independent corroboration?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
"The Global South" doesn't exist as a unified political, economic, military, or diplomatic bloc. It's entirely a creation of NGO speak when they want to talk about most of the world's poor countries in a single phrase, just as the "BRICS" coinage just came from some Goldman puke and doesn't represent any kind of unified entity in any way.

In this case our tankie visitor was trying to use it to suggest that there is some kind of shared opinion in some poor countries which conveniently mirrors his own, but that's as nonsensical as the people who think that the BRICS countries are going to form some kind of bloc when the two biggest members hate each other and have killed each other's troops in the very recent past.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Negostrike posted:

ikr how dare such a lowly dirty south american complain about the West profiting from the blood of civilians

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr Teatime posted:

Why is nobody talking about the true perfidious devils, the global centre?

When the space elevators are built around the equator, the global centre will reveal itself and enslave us all!!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

some people do be like that tho

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Notice the words "could be" and "close" in the sentence.

Let me rephrase the whole thing "We might be approaching a point where we'd be near to a tactical encirclement". It's nothing.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 21, 2023

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

thekeeshman posted:

"The Global South" doesn't exist as a unified political, economic, military, or diplomatic bloc. It's entirely a creation of NGO speak when they want to talk about most of the world's poor countries in a single phrase, just as the "BRICS" coinage just came from some Goldman puke and doesn't represent any kind of unified entity in any way.

In this case our tankie visitor was trying to use it to suggest that there is some kind of shared opinion in some poor countries which conveniently mirrors his own, but that's as nonsensical as the people who think that the BRICS countries are going to form some kind of bloc when the two biggest members hate each other and have killed each other's troops in the very recent past.

Pfffft next your gonna tell us some made up nonsense like a bunch of south american countries engaged in massive arms races and wars with each other lol

Get a load of this guy

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

I think Ukraine just wants to muddy the waters and spoil Russia's little propaganda victory. Encircling the smoldering ruins of Bakhmut might be the least useful thing Ukraine could possibly spend its resources on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Private Cumshoe posted:

some people do be like that tho

The russian government sucks but that doesn’t make it ok to kinkshame

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
It doesn't have to be sexual, some people just enjoy abusing others and getting yelled at for it, in fact it's part of the motivation for the abuse.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think "close to" is probably editorializing there

https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1660406569706614784

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

There's absolutly no independant corroboration. There certainly has been more territory recaptured by Ukraine and they are clearly going for an operational encirclement but Bakhmut is not close to be encircled.

Yet.

It's still possible there might be some more breakthroughs have happened in the last few hours. Or mire likely it's Ukraine shitstirring and/or telegraphing what they are doing

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Negostrike posted:

ikr how dare such a lowly dirty south american complain about the West profiting from the blood of civilians

You know when you're talking about the crimes of <insert whiteys> in South America and someone interjects "BuT whAT aBoUT thE CRimES of COMmuniSM', and how you feel and think about that person?

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

So I get South America, but doesn't the Global South include Africa, and several countries being thrown into economic distress and unrest due to massive grain shortages? You know, the ones caused by Russia and it's imperialist invasion of Ukraine?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Commodore_64 posted:

So I get South America, but doesn't the Global South include Africa, and several countries being thrown into economic distress and unrest due to massive grain shortages? You know, the ones caused by Russia and it's imperialist invasion of Ukraine?

No one who uses the phrase "the Global South" gives a flying gently caress about poor people

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Commodore_64 posted:

yes huge disturbance and distress, so why won't the evil west stop sanctions and/or ukraine unilaterally surrender so that the grain can flow again? very rude and inconsiderate. the west giving aid to ukraine means that the shortages will last for even longer, as they have to wait for russia to get serious about the war and send their reserve armies and thousands of T-14 tanks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thekeeshman posted:

No one who uses the phrase "the Global South" gives a flying gently caress about poor people

My favorite part of the Global North is how it kind of curls down to prevent world southerners from having Australia and New Zealand. Or maybe it’s how South Korea is North and North Korea is South.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Tiny Timbs posted:

My favorite part of the Global North is how it kind of curls down to prevent world southerners from having Australia and New Zealand. Or maybe it’s how South Korea is North and North Korea is South.

Somalia, Ethiopia, Yemen, Sudan, Libya, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Cuba. All members of the global north, oppressing the poor helpless Brazilians :(

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I don't like "Global South" either, but I can't immediately come up with a better short term for "the countries that still suffer from being on the wrong side of colonialism". I guess "developing countries" covers something very similar, but I see how that can sound paternalistic.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"The Global South" is a term often used by people who want to say "The Third World", but know that it's not really okay anymore to say that.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

The global south is a Sunday friend rear end phrase.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mr Teatime posted:

The global south is a Sunday friend rear end phrase.

Think of how le price stabilitie affects ze global south, officer.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Negostrike posted:

It's for the best anyway. The global south can't and shouldn't send any material support for a war that isn't theirs

Negostrike posted:

Yeah, he's totally gonna get support by snobbing the global south like that, good job. :thumbsup:

Please, Zelenskyy, let's be less of a media clown and be more serious about ending this war, shall we? Enjoy your Vipers at least :shrug:

please make your mind up about whether or not you think zelenskyy should engage with the global south that you also say should ignore any request for aid

or is it that you want zelenskyy to ask and still get rejected anyway?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Computer viking posted:

I don't like "Global South" either, but I can't immediately come up with a better short term for "the countries that still suffer from being on the wrong side of colonialism". I guess "developing countries" covers something very similar, but I see how that can sound paternalistic.

I think it's kind of messy even then. A big chunk of the Russian east still suffers from colonialism, but it's not the global south. Argentina has problems, but I'm not sure colonialism is the cause. China is solidly in the North, and is happy to colonise others, both presently and historically, but is a member of the global south. Ethiopia was never properly colonised. The term combines loads of countries that don't have much of anything in common.

If it's a matter of development, Brazil and Ukraine are basically equally developed, so it doesn't make any sense that Brazil should represent the global south any more than Ukraine does. I'd wager that the reason Brazil can call itself the global south has more to do with old first/second/third world categorisations from the cold war.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

I think "close to" is probably editorializing there

https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1660406569706614784

That's copium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

please make your mind up about whether or not you think zelenskyy should engage with the global south that you also say should ignore any request for aid

or is it that you want zelenskyy to ask and still get rejected anyway?

Zelensky, the corrupt and spineless comedian, was supposed to flee Kyiv as Russian arms made their glorious entry and the whole edifice of Ukrainian statehood came crashing down and exposed Western weakness and perfidity. That was the script.