Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

snergle posted:

i knew she was a nurse or dr. every insane mlm person i know is a nurse or dr. something about the medical profession breaks peoples brain and they basically turn into ben carson.

You're being unfair to healthcare workers. Yes I have known MLM nurses in each country I've worked in, and one doctor here.*

But education, status, and a comfortable salary are not enough to protect anyone. College lecturers, investment bankers (where MLM competes with outright Ponzi schemes and pump 'n dumps), professional athletes, and a former US Secretary of State have all been got. You might even suspect these are the respected people with a captive audience who provide marks for the downline. And yet I've never met one who made any money.

*Doctors tend to be suckered in by shady investment opportunities or by financial freedom gurus who charge hundreds for a newsletter and thousands for a seminar. But I have had to give advice to a friend whose doctor, a reknowned expert on his condition, kept asking to meet for coffee and to discuss "business opportunities".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Doctors tend to get snagged because they have a tendency to believe they are experts on EVERY TOPIC EVER and WAY TOO SMART TO GET TRICKED in my experience

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yyyep. it's not limited to doctors either; it's any field that requires specialized education or training. it's why so many dumbfuck techbros lose their asses "investing" in crypto and meme stocks

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
drat I gotta start scamming doctors

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
go for it, just don't gently caress up 'cuz "but your honor, my victims were dumbshits" is not a real good defense

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm just in awe of the combo move of "It's illegal to deny credit" and "it's illegal to require people to pay back credit."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

He's at the gym, he just spends like 10 minutes between sets reading Reddit on his phone.

I am being attacked

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kurieg posted:

I'm just in awe of the combo move of "It's illegal to deny credit" and "it's illegal to require people to pay back credit."

Banks are legally required to give free money to anyone who asks. The fact that 300 million people live in this country and banks are still somehow some of the wealthiest and most powerful institutions is just proof that you, yes you, are the best and smartest person for figuring out this closely guarded secret. Their treasure vaults of vast wealth are now yours to use as you see fit! You alone are a master of reality!

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for telling my neighbor that my roommates and I aren’t babysitters ?

quote:

I (20f) share an apartment with Casey (24m) , Nellie(19f) and Hannah (21f) along with Hannah’s 8 month old daughter. The issue at hand concerns our neighbors.

John (30m) and his wife Jane (25f) have a set of twins that are a year old . So sometimes , Hannah and they will have a playdate with the younger ones . But recently , they’ve been using the play dates as a way to dump their kids on Hannah and the rest of us . Sometimes for hours without answering the phone .

Now , I love kids and would be more then happy to babysit them . But , we are all ether working , in college or both. So more often we’ve ether been late to class or work cause we can’t contact John or Jane .

Yesterday , the four of us were preparing to go out for lunch and get some shopping done . As we were leaving , John stopped us and said he needed Hannah to watch his kids while he went out to see a movie .

I told him we aren’t babysitters and if they the kids with us again without answering. We’d call social services , to which he called a bunch of spineless leeches .

The other parents in the complex said that we were harsh to new parents and to have more compassion.

Edit : all the names are fake and not even close to what they are in real life

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA For threatening to kick my son out if he buys a $35,000 truck?

quote:

My (42m) son (19m) wants to buy a $35,000 truck. He dropped out of high school, against my advice, at the earliest possible moment of 16. Since then, he has been constantly making up all these dumb schemes to make money. For example, he bought a broken old saw mill $500 and got it working and supposedly has been selling the lumber for the past few years.

Well, the POS truck he uses to get his gear up old dirt back roads has finally broken beyond repair, and now he wants to get some expensive brand new Toyota pick-up truck. I don't know what he wants to get exactly, and I don't care. All I know is that it's a terrible financial decision, and I'm tired of these antics of his and that he needs to get a real job or go to college.

So I told him if he buys that truck, it's going to be the last straw for me. If he buys it, I'm kicking him out. I went as far as to say if he doesn't start trying to actually get his life on track within a couple months he's gone.

He says he "doesn't understand why I'm being so mean" and he's so obviously trying to justify the purchase by saying things like "well, it's going to be my only car, so I want to be comfortable" and "well it's not like it's some ridiculous $60k thing" not to mention the obvious lies he tells me about how he "has enough to buy it outright" and that he's been keeping all him money in cash because he doesn't trust me. Why wouldn't he trust me? Totally BS.

We ended up getting into a screaming match with him storming off to God knows where when his loser buddy picked him up. He called me an AH and my wife said I'm being unreasonable. I guess if my wife is saying that she may have a point, so I'm asking here if I'm the AH.
Comments:

quote:

I have two Batchelors, one in civil engineering one in electrical, and a masters in electrical engineering. I make around 200k a year.

Because even if he has the cash, which he doesn't, he absolutely should not be making such bad decisions. He needs to put this little lumberjack phase of his to rest

He says he's making good money. He says he has enough saved up in cash. I don't believe him though, and he refuses to show me the money he supposedly has saved up because he "doesn't trust me"

I have no idea. He certainly spends money like he has it, buy I've never seen a cent of it go in or out of his bank account. He says he gets paid in cash only. I honestly don't believe him.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA For threatening to kick my son out if he buys a $35,000 truck?

quote:

he's been keeping all him money in cash because he doesn't trust me. Why wouldn't he trust me? Totally BS.

quote:

He certainly spends money like he has it, buy I've never seen a cent of it go in or out of his bank account.
:thunkher:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for telling my neighbor that my roommates and I aren’t babysitters ?

call social services. now.

edit: lol "Batchelors" in engineering

Private Cumshoe fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 21, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i like how he calls the people who are refusing to let him leech off of them "spineless leeches"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I thought all trucks were over $100k now with dealer markup? Or is it just the massive status symbol ones that can't actually haul anything?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
yup, father is a psychopath, take the kid away now

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A comment I didn't copy-paste said that the "son's" bank account was a joint account his father opened for him when he was 15.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

sovcit stuff “works” when the sovcit is on the defensive and a “win” for them is just getting the other party to give up and leave them alone, which they sometimes do because dealing with sovcits is too much of a hassle. it emphatically does not work when the sovcit is going out there harassing people or committing fraud. sis is going to go to prison if she really does this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

It’s all under the bed in a big burlap sack with a dollar sign on it, obviously

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The dumbest and cruelest people I have ever known have all been nurses. Also the best, most empathetic and compassionate, but they unfortunately don't stick out as much.

If a guy is a bully growing up, he becomes a cop. If a girl is a bully growing up, she becomes a nurse.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for making my date pay for my ribs?

quote:

I, 28M, had gone on a few dates with this girl Paulina (not real name) 28F. On about our 4th or 5th date, we were meeting up for drinks with one of my friends and one her friends (both friends were in separate relationships so not a double date) as well as 4 of Paulina’s co-workers. I grabbed a drink with my buddy before meeting up with everyone and he covered the bill.

When we got to the bar with Paulina and her friends, the waitress said if we wanted to use multiple cards we would need to split the bills out so the 4 co-workers were one tab and Paulina and her friend were on a tab with my friend and I. When the waitress came to take our order, I ordered a pitcher of mind-erasers for the table, a beer and ribs for dinner because I hadn’t eaten yet and my friend ordered a sandwich and a beer as well. The girls ordered 1 margarita each and no food. When the drinks came out, I gave a toast celebrating future nights with this group and everyone seemed happy and on board. When the food came out, I offered Paulina some of my ribs and she declined so I figured she had already had dinner.

Everyone was having a great time but then things got weird when the bill came out. Because my friend had bought my drinks earlier, I wanted to cover his portion of the bill and told him not to put his card down. I then saw the girls hesitate but I didn’t feel like I needed to cover their bill as well - I had already been on a few dates with Paulina and I’m not paying for her random friend so I took their cards. The waitress then grabbed the bill and split it 3 ways - I guess they might have paid a little extra but margaritas are more expensive than beers and I’m pretty sure they drank out of the pitcher. After that the vibes were off at the next bar and Paulina stopped returning my texts and I feel like it has to do with the bill, so I’m starting to wonder if I was in the wrong. It’s a bummer because I really liked Paulina. AITA?

Douglas Adams posted:

Bistromathics itself is simply a revolutionary new way of understanding the behavior of numbers. Just as Einstein observed that space was not an absolute but depended on the observer's movement in space, and that time was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement in time, so it is now realized that numbers are not absolute, but depend on the observer's movement in restaurants.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I somehow misread that as "play with my ribs" and was expecting a much more interesting story

I'm really not well off, but I also go out very rarely and if my date and her friend ordered drinks and nothing else I'd be an absolute idiot for not covering their portion of the bill. Drinks aren't that expensive and it's probably the easiest way to get in someone's good books

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Clocks posted:

OP was put in a really lovely position, especially when her sis flat out lied and tried to claim it was OP who had gotten in trouble.

Really the solution I think is for the parents to pick a different punishment for the sister. Let her go to the career-building internship but curtail phone privileges and stop her from vaping or something, idk, I'm not a parent for a reason.

The parents are dumb as poo poo. "Let's potentially ruin her chances of moving out as soon as possible!"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I want to know where this dude is finding a Toyota for only 35k

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

tactlessbastard posted:

It was actually a rare Toy Yoda

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

tactlessbastard posted:

Tacomas are in that range with base features if you can find a dealership not marking them up like crazy or buy one a few years old.

This one's really sad.

AITA for not trying harder to let my ex know our son passed

Sorry for any lay out issues, I am on my phone. Also, throwaway as my ex follows my main.

Both myself (F) and my partner (M) were 28 when I found out I was pregnant. Together 4 years.

Personally I didn't want the child, my work was offering potential advances within my position and I was excited for it. But after alot of talking, we decided to go forward with it.

When I was around 20 weeks (just after finding out the gender) he disappeared. I couldn't contact him, he wouldn't answer the phone or messages. I got worried and messaged his mother and found out he was living back with her and was overwhelmed with the situation. He kept paying his part of the bills over to my bank each month, but I received no contact. I even tried going over, nothing.

By about 27 weeks I gave up trying, gave up crying and just got on with what I thought was a future as a single mother. I brought everything needed over the next couple of weeks and set it all up.

At 31 weeks I started having pains, but put it down to braxton hicks. Just before 32 weeks my waters went and I went into labour, with the baby coming very quickly. He went straight to NICU. I messaged and rang my ex and his mother, no response.

Less than a week later, my son passed due to complications of early birth. I again tried to contact my ex and his mother. Left voicemails and messages. Nothing

The next few weeks were a blur, but with the help of my mother and father his funeral was arranged. They tried to contact ex and his mother also, still nothing. I sent more messages, nothing. I'm assuming we were probably all blocked but honestly at that point I didn't care. I was so broken.

His funeral came and went. It was beautiful and horrible. I stopped messaging and told my family not to bother after the funeral had passed. I couldn't deal with it any more.

About 5 months after his birth/death my ex turned up. Let himself in.
I wasn't at home, but when I got back he was instantly hostile. The flat was clearly not set up for nor accommodating a small child.

He demanded to see his son. I broke down and told him what happened. I have never seen him so sad and angry. He stormed out, slamming the door on his way out.

Within half an hour I got a nasty call from his mother, followed by messages from siblings/other family. How dare I not let them know something so serious. How could I hide something like that out of petty spite.

I truly didn't, I tried. But I couldn't keep trying. It's been nearly 3 weeks now of them being awful. I was speaking to my sister this weekend and she said "tbf, it was a bit of a dick move to not keep trying. They deserved to know"

Was it? I tried so hard to let him know, but I was struggling so hard too. I lost my son too. AITA? should I have done more??

Edit - thank you all so much for your responses. Sorry for not replying to any. Reading them has been alot.

Honestly, I'm going to drink a bottle of wine (or two), read your kind responses and cry myself to sleep. Writing this all out and living it again has been hard.

Unfortunately I'm not able to change the locks (landlord said no) but my tenancy ends on the 12th of June and I already have a new flat to move into. And thankfully my dad has been able to cover the cost of a private therapist and I see her again Tuesday.

Thank you all so much again for your kind words

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
when the baby dying is a blessing because it would have been years and years of that poo poo

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lmao, what's the landlord gonna do when you change the locks and change them back.
You even ask, you just change them first thing moving in.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
so what happens when ex-bf just walks in on the new tenants and starts angrily demanding to know where they've hidden his ex? think the landlord will be willing to do a lock change then?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
who took my ex

ill find my ex

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
And people scoff at the idea that pregnant women/new moms are in such danger from their partners.

AITA because of my firepit?

quote:

My husband and I are retired, and we bought our dream retirement home in a small town a few years ago. I developed an interest in building community, I envision a life here based on community values. My street is made up of close-knit single and multifamily antique houses with different income brackets.I want our neighborhood to be a safe and welcoming place, where we know each other well and can be helpful to each other. I’m even head of the Welcoming Committee that I formed.

However, after we moved into our home this person moved into the house right next to us. We were cordial enough at first, but I soon discovered that she wasn’t community material. For instance, she continued to hire a certain handyman after I made it clear to her that he was known to have problems. Then she constantly complained on and on and on about how my dogs were “ruining” her yard, we’d nod along sympathetically and figured she’d eventually let it go. Instead, she called the police and we were given a warning, she didn’t even deny it when I confronted her about it.

Now she’s upset because we installed a fire pit on the edge of our property, but it’s “right next to her driveway where she parks her car.”It’s not even really a fire pit, it’s a pretty antique cast iron stove with an open front like a fireplace. We placed it on the green grass where it’s not going to cause any harm, and we have a hose handy. Again she complained, this time about it being “unsafe” and too close to her house and car, and she pointed to a house down the street that recently burned to the ground. I pointed out that she works full-time so her car’s usually not even there, and that if she saw the fire going, it’s her own prerogative to move her car, there’s nothing stopping her from driving it into her backyard. And I know there are no fire ordinances, so we’re pretty sure the fire chief won’t bother us about it.

And so, I hosted a party, we were all out around our fire and enjoying the warmth against the blustery chill in the air, and she came outwith her hose and started hosing down her house, car and driveway! I gently asked her what ever brought us to such an impasse and why she would do this to me. I politely asked if her car was inoperable, and she responded about it likely would be if it went up in flames or something. After she went back into her house, our guests told us they were uncomfortable and they left.My family and friends in the community agree with me that it’s OUR property and we can do whatever we want with it, but some people say we maybe should take another look at her concerns and even post our problem here. I’m looking to resolve things before she decides to pull another stunt or get the police involved again, but we’re not moving the stove. So Reddit, AITA?

Bolding mine.

This is the villain from some Hallmark movie, right?

AITA for naming my cat "Spliff"?

quote:

I'm 19f, I'm fairly regular smoker. I tend to smoke in my shed/garage with the door closed, and sometimes when group seshes happen, it gets a lil hot boxed.

One night, after a night of liver abuse, my friends and I went back to my house to continue the fun with alternative substances. It was hotboxed, and then we discovered a kitten, who at the time was about 10 weeks old, absolutely covered in fleas and mites, and who was now stoned to add to her problems.

We didn't immediately realise she was stoned, and I was going to wash her and take her to the vet on Monday, but upon realising my new found friend was stoned, we took her to the emergency vet.

The vet gave her a good scrub, and asked would I like to surrender her or take her home, and I chose to take her home. He also laughed and said don't worry about her being stoned, you'd be surprised at the amount of people who unintentionally hotbox pets and have those pets be fine.

I decides it was only fitting that the cat have a weed name. I was originally going to name her after a strain, but I decided spliff would be better than something stupid like OG vanilla gorilla kush.

A friend of mine thinks I am an rear end in a top hat, not only for risking getting defenseless animals stoned in the first place, but also for making a joke out of it and naming said defenseless animal after the misfortune. I disagree and think it's hilarious and now I have a best friend. AITA?

Edit: I'm not sure if Spliff suffered any serious long term consequences, or if she's just stupid because she's orange, but there's a she's kinda an idiot.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 22, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The fireplace is actually a cross and they light it whenever the black handyman is around.

Nitnen
Jul 29, 2011
don't ever smoke the gamer grass anywhere on god's green earth (especially your own domicile) in case any animals might be around that you didn't know existed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does weed even work on cats

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

Does weed even work on cats

My mom told me that her cat once found her stash, ate it, and slept for three days. :shrug:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Years ago I used to hang out at a private club bar that operated a 50% weed/air mix for atmosphere. They had an awesome cat and by the end of the night it was more like a living slinky being passed for belly rubs between stoned drunk people. 100% pourable cat.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Aww, Spliff wanna pet that stoner cat.

That fireplace one is a big WTF, I'm not like Mr. Fire Safety over here, but best case scenario you have a giant lovely rusty old stove in your lawn, hanging over into your neighbor's property, apparently. Worst case you melt your neighbor's car and are on the hook for repairs and probably some fines.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Agents are GO! posted:

My mom told me that her cat once found her stash, ate it, and slept for three days. :shrug:

So how did its behavior change

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

That fireplace one is a big WTF, I'm not like Mr. Fire Safety over here, but best case scenario you have a giant lovely rusty old stove in your lawn, hanging over into your neighbor's property, apparently. Worst case you melt your neighbor's car and are on the hook for repairs and probably some fines.

Yeah something tells me that OP had a way to instantly tell that neighbour wasn't "their sort". Just from the way they looked... you know?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Elviscat posted:

"It's safe, we put it on the grass."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

quote:

I gently asked her what ever brought us to such an impasse and why she would do this to me.

:fuckoff: