Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

This is closer to what I've heard about wrestler's court*. Big muscle heads getting mad about dumb poo poo can get dangerous so it was a way to hear out both sides and decide which guy had to buy a round of beer and the grievance was dropped after that. In theory. I've heard stories that were asking these lines and others that were dumb hazing. From what I remember, the Edge/Christian thing was partially them "bribing the judge" (in front of everyone) but just as much them leaning into it and making a goofy fake book about "How to get ahead by kissing rear end" or whatever it was. Reminder that they were accused of getting preferential treatment by sucking up to a writer.

The version of the Miz incident I heard wasn't even wrestlers court. He was eating fried chicken over someone's bag and getting crumbs on it so he was told to get out of the locker room. Tradition was that if you got kicked out you couldn't come back until invited back by the person that kicked you out. This presents a problem if the guy is dead. A few weeks or months later (the duration gets longer every time the story is retold) Taker asks why he isn't using the locker room and upon hearing why just tells him to go use the locker room.

*Every wrestlers court story I've heard involving JBL is just him being an rear end in a top hat and hazing people.

There was some of that but there were also things like Benoit making someone (I think Daivari) do like a zillion squats as punishment for some infraction, to where the guy swore he was pissing blood/muscle fibers later. It definitely wasn't all "just buy the guy a case of beer and it's all good". That's one of the reasons I like CM Punk, he rightly said he wasn't having any of that poo poo. It's a workplace, not a college frat house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Vandar posted:

BIG APPLE TAKEDOWN

It's kind of amazing not going to lie.

In the third act plot twist, the wrestlers kill Osama Bin Laden, but Vince brings the character back by having a different guy dress like Bin Laden and keep making videos in caves.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There was some of that but there were also things like Benoit making someone (I think Daivari) do like a zillion squats as punishment for some infraction, to where the guy swore he was pissing blood/muscle fibers later. It definitely wasn't all "just buy the guy a case of beer and it's all good". That's one of the reasons I like CM Punk, he rightly said he wasn't having any of that poo poo. It's a workplace, not a college frat house.

According to Jericho Benoit would do the squats as punishment for himself for making a mistake in the ring, Daivari gave it a try willingly. 500 hindu squats is apparently a NJPW dojo thing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Flinger posted:

According to Jericho Benoit would do the squats as punishment for himself for making a mistake in the ring, Daivari gave it a try willingly. 500 hindu squats is apparently a NJPW dojo thing.

My bad then, I could have sworn it was a hazing/punishment thing. Benoit was legitimately crazy, after all, so that's probably why I thought it was something like that.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
chris benoit was not well even before eddie's death and his final spiral into madness

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I know Taker is (likely still) a chud and an rear end in a top hat on some level but I like the head-shaking exasperated dad energy of telling Miz just use the locker room already.

I’ve always had interest in how Taker seemed to be the most grounded in reality vs fiction. I have no idea if that has to with how impossible his character is or if he had a firm grasp on reality from an early age.

Could be more the former, his gimmick is out there enough it's something you can't be expected to keep up all the time even by Vince-brain.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

chris benoit was not well even before eddie's death and his final spiral into madness

I remember someone saying that all he wanted to talk about was wrestling, even among other wrestlers. He didn't have any hobbies, wasn't interested in music or movies or other sports, all he wanted to do was talk about wrestling. Even for a pro wrestler, that's pretty drat psycho.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I remember someone saying that all he wanted to talk about was wrestling, even among other wrestlers. He didn't have any hobbies, wasn't interested in music or movies or other sports, all he wanted to do was talk about wrestling. Even for a pro wrestler, that's pretty drat psycho.

he was one of the only wrestlers that would willingly take shots to the back of the head with chairs because he thought it was more authentic even if other wrestlers knew how stupid this was

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i love mick foley but i wish he didnt do most of the things he did when wrestling

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i love mick foley but i wish he didnt do most of the things he did when wrestling

Like sticking his hand into other people's mouths. That's a surefire way to get someone sick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he was one of the only wrestlers that would willingly take shots to the back of the head with chairs because he thought it was more authentic even if other wrestlers knew how stupid this was

Jeez, it's a pretty standard stunt.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Ah yes noted expert on acting professional in the workplace CM Punk.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Benoit took a flying dive off the top rope and landed directly on his head several hundred times a year.

This is not a sign of being a mentally well person.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, Benoit was utterly 100% dedicated to wrestling. It was his everything. I can't help but wonder how history would be if not for all the massive brain damage he gained, I mean the guys brain once examined was equal to that of a elderly man with full blown dementia. Before he did what he did, reality for him started to come apart, he use to think he was being followed. Who knows what else.

He loved wrestling and he wrote one of it's darkest chapters. A sane Benoit would have been utterly horrorifed at the damage he had done to the business. Hell even in his last days if he had any real capability to realize what he would cause I can't help but think he might not have done the deed he did. Sadly that was not the case.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WWE COMICS: PART 3

Last time we went through the Attitude Era, WCW’s sad attempt to stay relevant, and Triple H masturbation. Now let’s make our way to the present day.

WWE SUPERSTARS

Several years after WWE Heroes came and went, it was announced that Papercutz (no idea) was doing the next WWE comic. This initial announcement meant very little, as the announcement came with a group shot of the WWE roster that was drawn like dogshit. Over time, the project became more promising due to the reveal that Mick Foley would be co-writing it!

I have no idea how much Foley wrote, but usually when a famous person is referred to as a co-writer of a comic, it means they did not really do all that much.

Now, WWE Superstars lasted for 12 issues and then had a graphic novel follow-up. Each four issues told a very different story, meaning the issues told three arcs. For each of those stories, if I told you the general idea, you would probably think it’s a good idea. Unfortunately, for the first two storylines, things did not work out so well.

The first four issues were built around a really novel idea: WWE reimagined as a crime-ridden noirish city. It was inventive. John Cena was an honest cop being released from prison after serving for a crime he did not commit, which involved a briefcase full of money going missing. Half the city loves him, half the city hates his guts. Eh? Get it?

Then you have Daniel Bryan as an anarchist leader, CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler as detectives, Randy Orton as a corrupt district attorney, Paul Heyman as a crime boss with Brock Lesnar and Ryback as his muscle, Rey Mysterio as a masked vigilante, Brodus Clay as a bouncer, Cesaro and Jack Swagger as prison guards, and so on. This all culminated in Bryan and Orton fighting on a ladder over who would get the briefcase.

Lots of great ideas, but as the story continued, the concept really ran out of gas. Then it ended all weird with a segment that either needed to be changed last minute or the original artist could not make the deadline. The art suddenly changed for a few pages and things were all over the place in a way that did not make sense, but what’s important is that the art was ATROCIOUS. This guy named Puste had taken over and it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Oh, and another thing worth noting is that the first or second issue came out right as CM Punk had his big blowup and stormed out of the company. Yet he would be a major character in the first eight issues of WWE Superstars. At one point, Papercutz claimed that they were going to replace all of his appearances with another wrestler for the trades, but that never happened.

Issues #5-8 were called “Haze of Glory,” otherwise known as “Rawshamon.” Again, a strangely solid idea for a story. CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Rey Mysterio, and Hornswoggle were starring in a take on Dude, Where’s My Car/The Hangover. They had blacked out and came to minutes before Raw was to start, only to find the place in complete chaos in many, many ways with everyone blaming them and out for their blood. Vince demanded that they either get to the bottom of this by the time Raw finishes or they’re all fired.

Vince was also suffering a cold during this comic, which had to be a Foley idea. In real life, Vince despises anyone who sneezes and considers it a sign of weakness.

The big problem with this storyline was that Puste was back on art. Granted, there were one-page intros by the likes of Goldust, Hogan, etc. by a different artist and another artist did a really great-looking flashback segment of how Daniel Bryan remembered things (where he and the others were medieval warriors). Otherwise, it was just some of the worst art from a company that I cannot imagine paid well.

To give you an idea, Puste’s art was based on tracing the wrestlers and in a vacuum, those images looked roughly decent and on-point. They just did not work in a storytelling sense, like if you were using Colorforms of dudes standing around and tried to make a comic book with action sequences. Where characters are supposed to be interacting with each other without making eye-contact. It was incredibly easy to see the same images used again and again, too.

The funniest part was when the protagonists came across mini luchador El Torito, who appeared as a black silhouette. At first, this seemed like some kind of reveal where Torito was popping out of the shadows or something, but that wasn’t the case. For whatever reason, Puste just did not draw him outside of his outline. He was just this Noob Saibot tiny bull man with zero features whatsoever because the artist could not be bothered.

The story ended with an abrupt and awkward, yet strangely poignant scene of Bryan and Punk hanging out together and talking up their wacky adventure. Bryan then started to talk up how Punk accomplished so much in WWE, all while straight edge. Punk then got up and left the room while he and Bryan said goodbye to each other. It was very much a moment of, “This company may be ignoring that he left, but drat it, we’re going to give him a fond farewell.”

Issues #9-12 was called “Legends,” otherwise known as “The Secret Raw.” It had to do with wrestlers from the past and present waking up on Mars, where they wandered through various locales in what was pretty much a giant Hunger Games thing with wrestlers. Jake Roberts working together with Randy Orton, Daniel Bryan working together with Roddy Piper, Austin beating up Hogan on a pirate ship, etc. They even had Hulkamania Hogan take on his nWo counterpart. It was bonkers, but awesome. One of my favorite bits was how they did a cover in the style of the Marvel Secret Wars issue that introduced Spider-Man's black costume, but with nWo Hogan.

The strangest thing was Bryan and Piper discovering the creation of a clone army made up of Hulk Hogan/John Cena hybrids. Like split down the middle mashups with half-caps and half-mustaches. Then Bryan came across a hybrid clone of Trish Stratus and Dusty Rhodes. Later we discovered that the villain behind everything was Bobby Heenan’s brain in a jar.

This storyline then got a graphic novel sequel that came out with zero hype or promotion, for reasons I’ll get into in a second. It had to do with the handful of wrestlers who hadn’t been sent home at the end of the previous story. Bray Wyatt had created a cult of followers based on remaining on Mars for whatever reason. To stop them, Dean Ambrose led a team of misfits that included Doink, Goldust, Stardust, and the Bunny.

Who is the Bunny, you might be asking? Back in the 2010s, there was a wrestler Adam Rose whose deal was that he was Russel Brand as a wrestler. Just partying non-stop and always accompanied by a huge entourage of party people (which featured the likes of Becky Lynch and Braun Strowman in silly outfits before they were big names). The main member of his followers was a guy in a bunny suit. Over time, the Bunny (actually Justin Gabriel) would start to get involved and show off some flippy skills. They never did explain who he was in kayfabe, although Gabriel wanted them to reveal him as Vince McMahon at one point.

In the comic, the Bunny took somebody down with a Diamond Cutter, did the “BANG!” taunt, and unmasked to reveal Diamond Dallas Page. That works too!

Ambrose got hold of the WWE Championship, which gave him control of the Hogan/Cena clones. In the end, everyone got sent back to their rightful time and home, except for the Hogan/Cena clones, who ended up rampaging outside of a WWF event in the 80s.

So why did that comic get released in such a random and low-key way? Two reasons. One, Hogan’s image was pretty prominent and this was during the time when Hogan was excommunicado for his racism scandal. Two, this was the same day that WWE’s next comic book deal was being announced, so Papercutz just wanted to throw this finished piece of work out the door and possibly make SOME money off of it.

And what came next?

BOOM!’S WWE

BOOM! Studios is well-regarded for original works like Irredeemable, its sister series Incorruptible, Lumberjanes, and its incredibly beloved take on Power Rangers. When they announced that they were taking the WWE license, it was a great sign. Also great was when they did a panel about it at New York Comic Con, I somehow got to be the host for the panel. For real, it was loving crazy.

The comics included a 25-issue run just called WWE, as well as fourteen different one-shots and a New Day two-parter. I admittedly have only read a chunk of the stuff, but it’s mostly very good. It’s all over the place in the best way. Some comics are expanded canon of WWE moments, like a deeper look at the Shield breaking up and the aftermath. Some comics are crazy cartoony poo poo like the New Day traveling through time or a Tugboat vs. Earthquake match drawn in the style of a Popeye cartoon.

A good combination of the two came in a Royal Rumble one-shot. Back in the 1991 Rumble, Randy Savage cost the Ultimate Warrior the WWF Championship. Later that night, Savage no-showed the Rumble. This comic revealed that Warrior chased him out of the building, they ended up having a food fight at a Denny’s, and by the time Savage had returned to the arena, the show was long over.

This was easily the best use of WWE in the comics medium. It was entertaining and felt like a real labor of love.

It wasn’t ALL good, though. In 2018, they released a graphic novel about the Undertaker’s career. Much like how Max Landis did that video where he retroactively acted like Triple H’s whole career was one big story, this graphic novel was trying to do the same for Undertaker. It just did not work. For one, it completely did away with the ideas that Undertaker was in any way supernatural and swept all that under the rug. Two, it glazed over a lot of context so things came off as weird and confusing.

Like Undertaker had Paul Bearer as a manager again after years of being enemies. Undertaker warned him that he would get revenge for the times Paul had betrayed him. Cut to months later when Undertaker was burying Paul with concrete as Paul screamed in horror. Why was this happening? As a wrestling fan, I know, but this comic proceeded to just move on without taking a second to even breathe.

By the end of it, they were just tacking on pages with different artists to catch up on his sporadic appearances. Like a page of John Cena getting squashed by Undertaker at that year’s WrestleMania.

I really should check out the whole thing one of these days. I recall the main series centered itself around Dean Ambrose a lot (including shipping him with Sasha Banks). But then after he left for AEW, they did a comic that flashed back to the Shield breakup and made sure to obscure Ambrose’s face in the background. Sounds about right.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The best part of the Boom comics is Triple H's boat:

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Gavok posted:

Later we discovered that the villain behind everything was Bobby Heenan’s brain in a jar.

This is the finest series of words ever crafted in the history of the English language.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
bobby "the brain" heenan... its like poetry it rhymes

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gavok posted:

Later we discovered that the villain behind everything was Bobby Heenan’s brain in a jar.

"More like a No-go brain cylinder."

"Would you stop?!"

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
It seems like the main issue with wrestling stepping into any outside entertainment is the timeline is so much slower and it can't keep up. A comic starts being planned, it's written, drawn, inked, and colored, and by the time it's on the stands, three of the five main characters have left the company.

I doubt Ready 2 Rumble would have been improved in any way if it had come out in early 1998 though.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Cornwind Evil posted:

I doubt Ready 2 Rumble would have been improved in any way if it had come out in early 1998 though.

It could not have been improved in any way because it is already perfect

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/39373/Transcript-of-Vince-McMahons-Public-AOL-Chat-From-1998/

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

This transcript reads like an emotionally stunted 14 year old doing a Vince McMahon impression. Then again so does Vince himself. Not sure what to think.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

pretty sure lawler took over at the end there

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I can only imagine what gets said by the class when he walks into the lecture hall.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Cartoon Man posted:

I can only imagine what gets said by the class when he walks into the lecture hall.

"why isn't your face all burnt up and wierd??"

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

"are you still a dentist?"

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cartoon Man posted:

"How does the mayor have spare time?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cartoon Man posted:

"Where's Teller?"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

He's an Austrian too, which is like if Vince Russo booked economics.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Cartoon Man posted:

BAH GAWD THATS KANES MUSIC!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The new AEW game is going to get a bit messy.

https://twitter.com/AEWGames/status/1661054508363923461

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gavok posted:

mortal kombat

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I mean, Penta is basically just Scorpion as a luchador.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gavok posted:

What are the standards for big wrestling companies when it comes to blood or injuries in the ring? Like I know about blading but if a wrestler is clearly bleeding too much is there a signal to end the match ASAP so he can get aid?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What are the standards for big wrestling companies when it comes to blood or injuries in the ring? Like I know about blading but if a wrestler is clearly bleeding too much is there a signal to end the match ASAP so he can get aid?

Varies pretty significantly, WWE for a while when trying to be PG would stop matches to get people cleaned up, but most of the time unless someone's passing out the match keeps going

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

there was teh time eddie guerrero bladed wrong and cut an artery and the match had to be ended asap

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Gavok posted:

I mean, Penta is basically just Scorpion as a luchador.

Lucha Underground Penta was best Penta. (current demon trixter Penta is a close second though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMZv9AL1648

TheSwizzler posted:

Varies pretty significantly, WWE for a while when trying to be PG would stop matches to get people cleaned up, but most of the time unless someone's passing out the match keeps going

There's been matches in both companies where someone's bladed enough to be woozy by the end of the match. Cody vs. Dustin in AEW (amazing match btw) and Eddie Guerrero had a pretty infamous blade job against JBL.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
usually when a wrestler is injured the ref is called over and one of the wrestlers quickly pins the other to end it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince wanted muhammad ali bladed during the inoki incident without the consent of ali which would have gone over well lol