Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
She's starting to look like a P-38! Only took 5 months.

Warmachine posted:

I'd rather fold 300 photo-etch crates.

Hey now! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Arquinsiel posted:

You're all off by 50%. There are three gates per piece :negative:

My dude, just use toothpicks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FrozenVent posted:

Wisdom. Every so often in your modelling career, you will need to look at a step or part(s) and say "no".

As an alternative, build the kit as she'd be after they stopped fitting the torpedo nets and save even more hassle!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FrozenVent posted:

Scratch from wood, the answer to all problems!

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Wisdom. Every so often in your modelling career, you will need to look at a step or part(s) and say "no".

One of the wisest things I ever learned was, "you do not have to use ALL the photoetch on the fret"

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

tidal wave emulator posted:

One of the wisest things I ever learned was, "you do not have to use ALL the photoetch on the fret"

What if the photoetch is an incredibly spindly thin detailed framing, which goes over the top of the funnels and is integral to the look of the ship?

I have half of those goddamned torpedo net booms fitted, and only had to have four whiskeys to make it worthwhile.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

What if the photoetch is an incredibly spindly thin detailed framing, which goes over the top of the funnels and is integral to the look of the ship?

I like to think of it as a cost/benefit thing. Is it worth my time doing it VS will I or anyone else even notice it once it's done, especially if viewed from a couple of feet away.

If you mean this framing then yeah, it's really prominent and makes the model pop so I would probably always do that.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

You could also use copper, stainless, or some other alloy wire. Easy to straighten by grabbing either end of a section with pliers and yanking it apart.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I changed my forum name as I no longer collect G43 rifles and I, ya know, don't want to be associated with nazi rifles anymore. That said, I made good progress on my P-38 project today. It felt incredibly good to get a layer of paint laid down.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Got my Trumpeter HMS Dreadnought 1/700 back in 2019... it remains boxed & unbuilt on a top shelf... silently judging me. :chloe:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just Another Lurker posted:

Got my Trumpeter HMS Dreadnought 1/700 back in 2019... it remains boxed & unbuilt on a top shelf... silently judging me. :chloe:

I bought a bunch of models right at the start of the pandemic, anticipating getting fired or furloughed or something and having lots of free time. They mostly remain in their boxes.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
That's cute. I have models I bought in high school waiting for a chance to be built.

I graduated in 2002.

Anyway, I'm trying to get back into it now. With the demise of Testors Model Master acrylics I'm gonna need pointers on new paints. I got an airbrush for Christmas a couple years ago and I'm looking forward to giving that a go as well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

McNally posted:

That's cute. I have models I bought in high school waiting for a chance to be built.

I graduated in 2002.

Anyway, I'm trying to get back into it now. With the demise of Testors Model Master acrylics I'm gonna need pointers on new paints. I got an airbrush for Christmas a couple years ago and I'm looking forward to giving that a go as well.

I've been happy with Vallejo's acrylics. Tamiya has also worked well for me.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

McNally posted:

I graduated in 2002.

That's cute. I have dozens of unbuilt models I bought in the bookshop/model shop i worked in back in 1994. :razz:

It's the bane of all model makers i'm afraid.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I think my oldest incomplete model is an M-10 I bought in the late 80's.

I have finished other models since then, honest.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I currently have a number of kits on the shelf of doom, though nothing that's been languishing for more than a couple years.

1/32 Tamiya Zero
1/32 Trumpeter Dauntless and Hellcat
1/32 Revell Mustang (a seriously lovely kit)
1/35 Dragon Panther A
1/35 Dragon Panzer IV E

I'll get to them eventually.

Eventually.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I appreciate none of you laughing at me 5 months ago when I was like "I'm planning to just order 1 kit at a time" because I've currently got 6 kits on my shelf and another 8 on the way from Japan.

In other news, while looking for some better-than-tamiya figures for some of these models I came across some excellent trolling by the Ukrainian company Master Box.

They've got a bunch of. . . current events figure sets and kits, including the Saint Javelin kit, the Mom and Kid Refugees With Puppy kit and the Territorial Defence Forces of Ukraine. Bucha clean-up from russian marauders and rapists, April 2022 kit.

Beyond just loving their approach, I think I'm going to pick up this kit to accessorize the Easy Eight sitting on my shelf. Need to practice my figures anyway.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Chuck_D posted:

I currently have a number of kits on the shelf of doom, though nothing that's been languishing for more than a couple years.

1/32 Tamiya Zero
1/32 Trumpeter Dauntless and Hellcat
1/32 Revell Mustang (a seriously lovely kit)
1/35 Dragon Panther A
1/35 Dragon Panzer IV E

I'll get to them eventually.

Eventually.

Should we just cut to the chase and start sharing our scalemates stashes?

I have five models that are really in progress.

Revel P-61, Revel/Tamiya P-51, Academy F4u, HobbyBoss P-47, Bandai VF-1..... and i'm itching to start another.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

stealie72 posted:

I appreciate none of you laughing at me 5 months ago when I was like "I'm planning to just order 1 kit at a time" because I've currently got 6 kits on my shelf and another 8 on the way from Japan.

In other news, while looking for some better-than-tamiya figures for some of these models I came across some excellent trolling by the Ukrainian company Master Box.

They've got a bunch of. . . current events figure sets and kits, including the Saint Javelin kit, the Mom and Kid Refugees With Puppy kit and the Territorial Defence Forces of Ukraine. Bucha clean-up from russian marauders and rapists, April 2022 kit.

Beyond just loving their approach, I think I'm going to pick up this kit to accessorize the Easy Eight sitting on my shelf. Need to practice my figures anyway.

Master Box makes great figure kits. I've used a few of them and have always been pretty happy with them.

Also, can you really consider yourself a modeler of you don't have a stash of unbuilt kits lying around somewhere?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Chuck_D posted:

Master Box makes great figure kits. I've used a few of them and have always been pretty happy with them.

Also, can you really consider yourself a modeler of you don't have a stash of unbuilt kits lying around somewhere?

I have them sitting prominently on a wire rack. I did pull my F-15E box off the rack and put it on my desk though. Progress!

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

McNally posted:

I was in a similar situation a bunch of years ago when it was clear that Model Master paints were no longer a viable option. The closest hobby shop had Tamiya paints, so I tried them out and still really like them (especially with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner), but don't like that the color selection is so limited. Mixing paints for small items is not a big deal, but mixing a largish amount of paint for the fuselage of a 1/48 scale airplane is not really what I want to do, so I tried Vallejo Air paints next. I liked their color selection and the squeeze bottles are handy, but having the paint be constantly dry on the tip of the airbrush and constantly fiddling with adding thinner and flow improver and blowing out the nozzle quickly became a pain in the rear end for me. The paint is quite fragile as well, requiring a primer coat to stick to. So I next tried Mr. Color and have stuck with that since.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

McNally posted:

Hiya, McNally.

There are a lot of great guides on YT for airbrushing technique and - if you have the search capability - we've talked through questions like this a few times in the thread. That said, my general preference for airbrushing paints is as follows.

- Lacquers (MRP primarily) - my favorite. They dry quickly, are airbrush ready, and don't require any mixing or fiddling. Pour into the airbrush and spray. They have some pretty bad fumes, so a well ventilated work area + a respirator is an absolute must. I believe Tamiya just came out with a line of true lacquers, but I've not yet tried any of them. I hear they're pretty good though.

- Solvent-based acrylics (Tamiya's X- and XF- line primarily) - Great for airbrushing, suffer from similar fumes issues as lacquers. Requires a thinner (I prefer Mr. Color Leveling Thinner) to spray properly.

- Water-based acrylics (Vallejo, some AK Interactive lines, etc - usually in the little dropper bottles) - Super meh for airbrushing for the reasons MyronMulch mentioned. Even the "airbrush ready" lines still end up drying on the tip of the brush and such. The fumes aren't nearly as bad, but a respirator is a bare minimum.

I haven't personally tried to run any enamels through my airbrush, but I hear they generally behave well, but also suffer from fumes. Really, you shouldn't be spraying anything without good ventilation and a respirator. A spray booth and mask aren't much more than a model kit or two and you'll use them forever.

What airbrush and compressor combo do you have?

Edit: In other news, once I'm done with the P-38 (maybe next weekend?), I'm going to deep clean the poo poo out of my workspace and focus on getting organized. All of my organization is hodge podge and fly-by-night - old mugs packed with paint brushes, old drawers from organizers stuffed with paints and thinners, random supplies stuck in ziploc bags... It's driving me nuts. I'd like to build a custom paint rack or two and get some of those hobbyzone organizers. Anyone have any tips or tricks that they've used to organize their workspaces that they really liked?

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 22, 2023

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Chuck_D posted:

I'd like to build a custom paint rack or two and get some of those hobbyzone organizers. Anyone have any tips or tricks that they've used to organize their workspaces that they really liked?

I've found building my workspace up slowly rather than buying all the modular units all at once has given me a better sense of what I actually needed and let me buy the right ones as and when required.

Also, you will always have slightly more pots of paint than you have space in your paint racks.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Chuck_D posted:

Anyone have any tips or tricks that they've used to organize their workspaces that they really liked?

I bought some acrylic nail polish racks similar to these for paint storage:

https://www.amazon.com/FEMELI-Shelves-Organizer-Multi-purpose-Floating/dp/B07V2MPG52/

I don't know about that specific one, but the ones I have fit Vallejo acrylics, Mr. Color lacquers, and Model Master enamels. I only have one bottle of Tamiya paint and I believe that is too big to fit in there. Likewise, the glass bottle tamiya cement and washes are also too large to fit. I like them because, being clear acrylic, I can easily see the whole bottle, and they hang on the wall so they don't take up precious desk space.

For my brushes, I keep the "good" ones stored flat in a drawer, my "okay" ones in an organizer like this and my disposable ones that I bought in bulk in whatever bag they came in.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 22, 2023

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Chuck_D posted:

What airbrush and compressor combo do you have?

I have an Iwata Neo and I haven't gotten a compressor yet. It came with a little one but I wouldn't really trust it for much.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

I've found building my workspace up slowly rather than buying all the modular units all at once has given me a better sense of what I actually needed and let me buy the right ones as and when required.

Valid points. I was just looking at the modular stuff from hobbyzone and was kinda coming to the same conclusion. To buy it all at once would be... Problematic. I'll think on this one for a bit.

Also, you will always have slightly more pots of paint than you have space in your paint racks.

Ha! I dub this "TWE's first law of scale modeling."

McNally posted:

I have an Iwata Neo and I haven't gotten a compressor yet. It came with a little one but I wouldn't really trust it for much.

I've not used a neo, but Iwata generally makes good stuff. I think that's their entry line, right? Others might need to chime in on it. If you get a compressor, just make sure you have a pressure regulator and moisture trap.

@skunkduster, thanks for the recommendations. I've got the tiered, desktop nail polish holders and they're pretty much the same with respect to what fits and what doesn't. I like the tool organizer, so I may have to pick some of those up. At this point anything is an upgrade from my lovely old mugs.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 22, 2023

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Spent most of the day at the bench today working on the P-38. Now that I'm through the drudgery of sanding, rescribing, and riveting, it's going fairly quickly.

After much debate, I decided on recreating this aircraft:

P-38G 43-2239 in late spring of 1943 on Guadalcanal in the 339th FS.

While there's still a lot of work yet to go, I think she's shaping up pretty nicely.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I ended up stacking some Infini Model racks 8 high, so there's pretty much a tower of paints to the left of my painting booth. Which, I've not gotten any more because if I stack them higher I'll actually start to worry about its stability.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Got my HLJ order today and peeked through the kits before putting them on the stash shelf and this goofy food truck that I ordered on a lark thinking it would be a kid's model with colored plastic and stickers looks like it's actually a challenging little kit.

There's no instructions or box contents on stalemates, so I may have to remedy that this weekend.

You know, after I spend 2 hours on google images looking for detailed pictures of Japanese food trucks.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Got my HLJ order today and peeked through the kits before putting them on the stash shelf and this goofy food truck that I ordered on a lark thinking it would be a kid's model with colored plastic and stickers looks like it's actually a challenging little kit.

There's no instructions or box contents on stalemates, so I may have to remedy that this weekend.

You know, after I spend 2 hours on google images looking for detailed pictures of Japanese food trucks.

gently caress, I might have to buy that food truck

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

gently caress, I might have to buy that food truck

I'm looking at the full line of trucks that Aoshima puts out beyond the food trucks and it's leading me down a weird rabbit hole.
https://www.hlj.com/1-64-scale-neo-emperor-full-trailer-aos06412
https://www.hlj.com/1-64-scale-dosukoi-gonta-large-trailer-aos06328
https://www.hlj.com/1-64-scale-ryuomaru-4-axis-wing-aos06411
https://www.hlj.com/1-64-scale-dangerous-dump-scorpion-large-dump-aos06415

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 25, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm the Dangerous Dump Scorpion (Large Dump).

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I know it's harder to make something dark lighter than it is to make something light darker but well I really need to make my dark tank lighter somehow.

I painted it in flat black, then with flat white for highlights. Then Tamiya dark green. I think the mistake I made was putting it over black base because this dark green is really dark. It doesn't look as dark as it really is since I got my hobby lamp shining over it. But in regular household light it looks almost black. Also the highlights are basically non existent. Any idea what I can do about this? I was thinking of just re-highlighting it, then going over it with a much lighter shade of green?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

start painting the panels in the same green mixed with deck tan (or similar cream color) very thin (or airbrushed) and leave the panels darker around the edges and light towards the middle

it'll be fine.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

start painting the panels in the same green mixed with deck tan (or similar cream color) very thin (or airbrushed) and leave the panels darker around the edges and light towards the middle

it'll be fine.

Oh so basically like a reverse highlight? That makes sense I have Tamiya buff that should probably lighten up the dark green a good bit. I'll try that thanks!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Decal/tiny detail question:

I'm finishing up the new Tamiya 1/48th spitfire, and a few of the decals for stuff stenciled on the plane are downright miniscule. Like, the size of period in 24 point font miniscule.

I'm not planning to put them on because I don't have the vision, skill, or coordination to get them in the right places, but do people generally actually do those?

Also, MicroSol is fantastic. There's also some comparatively huge decals like the RAF roundels and squadron ID letters that looked pretty sticker-like when they went on, but the MicroSol made them melt into the panel lines nicely.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

stealie72 posted:

I'm not planning to put them on because I don't have the vision, skill, or coordination to get them in the right places, but do people generally actually do those?

Completely up to you. I've gotten comfortable enough with decals over the years that I am okay putting those tiny ones on. However, if a couple of them go unapplied, I don't lose sleep over it. In the end, it's about what you want to achieve and what you think looks good. It's art, after a fashion, so do as you see fit. :)

I have finally (FINALLY!) finished the P-38G conversion.

The full write up is here and includes a link to the build thread: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/97066-p-38g-old-ironsides-in-guadalcanal-the-patient-has-pulled-through/

Completed pictures here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/3xNffN6

Build pictures here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/DSTkTbX

Sneak peek: :D

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Chuck_D posted:

:aaaaa: that's absolutely gorgeous

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Chuck_D posted:

Completely up to you. I've gotten comfortable enough with decals over the years that I am okay putting those tiny ones on. However, if a couple of them go unapplied, I don't lose sleep over it. In the end, it's about what you want to achieve and what you think looks good. It's art, after a fashion, so do as you see fit. :)

The full write up is here and includes a link to the build thread: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/97066-p-38g-old-ironsides-in-guadalcanal-the-patient-has-pulled-through/

That's really nice! It would have been easy to cock up trying to replicate that weathering around the panel lines on the reference image and made the model look patchwork but you've done it subtly enough that it looks really good, well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Chuck_D posted:

No little guy sitting on a bench under it. 0/10!

Seriously though, that's superb.