Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Star Citizen and YOUR time posted:

How do you feel Star Citizen's current gameplay choices respect your time?

How do you feel this has changed since you first started playing?

We all live different lives and have different amounts of time at our disposal, so thought it would be worth checking in with y'all.

quote:

Star Citizen is evolving into a tedious game.

Disclaimer: Star Citizen is a space game I don't expect to be everywhere in a split second.
I still have a lot of fun testing and making videos, but if I want to play a game, I play a game, not an elevator/metro/waiting/screenshot/time-sink simulator.

1. Dying of thirst in 90 minutes and of hunger in less than 7 hours

There is no accelerated time in Star Citizen (yet)

Chris said (yes this is old but people based their decision to back this game on his views):
Eventually, after too long you might perform worse 'cause you're tired, or you need to eat occasionally, or if you don't shower for a while some NPCs won't want to talk to you 'cause you smell, etc etc. I'm not saying we go to the level of full-life simulation, but it'd be fun to have these things have a small effect on how you're perceived or how you exist in the universe.
(https://youtu.be/FXnNwUmnl3o?t=708)

Chris wasn't even talking about drinking and was talking about "a small effect" and "some lightweight way"
Dying of thirst in 90 minutes and of hunger in under 7 hours is not a small effect or some lightweight way.
In addition we still cannot drink with a helmet on, something NASA figured out 60 years ago.
Players in small ships without interior have to waste even more time flying to somewhere they can remove their helmet safely to drink and eat.

Camural@Camural
Today at 7:50 am
Star Citizen is evolving into a tedious game.

Disclaimer: Star Citizen is a space game I don't expect to be everywhere in a split second.
I still have a lot of fun testing and making videos, but if I want to play a game, I play a game, not an elevator/metro/waiting/screenshot/time-sink simulator.

1. Dying of thirst in 90 minutes and of hunger in less than 7 hours

There is no accelerated time in Star Citizen (yet)

Chris said (yes this is old but people based their decision to back this game on his views):
Eventually, after too long you might perform worse 'cause you're tired, or you need to eat occasionally, or if you don't shower for a while some NPCs won't want to talk to you 'cause you smell, etc etc. I'm not saying we go to the level of full-life simulation, but it'd be fun to have these things have a small effect on how you're perceived or how you exist in the universe.
(https://youtu.be/FXnNwUmnl3o?t=708)

Chris wasn't even talking about drinking and was talking about "a small effect" and "some lightweight way"
Dying of thirst in 90 minutes and of hunger in under 7 hours is not a small effect or some lightweight way.
In addition we still cannot drink with a helmet on, something NASA figured out 60 years ago.
Players in small ships without interior have to waste even more time flying to somewhere they can remove their helmet safely to drink and eat.

2. One "immersive" elevator and metro ride after the other

It gets really old after the 1000 time
It feels like a loading screen and I cannot even go to the toilet because I have do so something every other minute.
Why can't we select a space station as first spawn point?

3. Tedious mechanics like standing up every 2 SCU to move SCU crates in order to continue salvaging

4. Full loot PvE/PvP and for 2 months by now we cannot even get our subscriber gear back. Have to wait until next big server wipe.

5. Instead of making multi-crewing fun and rewarding, CIG forces multi-crew down our throats:

Putting cheap bulk material like salvage into individual 1 SCU crates (wasting 50% of the space: internal volume 1m3, external volume 1.95m3) and then moving them one by one using handheld tractor beams inside a Reclaimer or Vulture is one of the worst game designs ever, just to promote multi-crew in a Reclaimer?
We have garbage trucks for decades by now, that have automated compactors and are operated by one driver who doesn't have to stand up every 2 SCU like a Vulture pilot.

Engineering game play will be another mechanic we will need for bigger ships and the very important engineer will have to press some buttons every other minute.

Loading/unloading our ships ourselves is coming.
Acceptable for a Titan, not acceptable for anything bigger.
Crews of a container ship don't do the loading themselves.

Also: Loading a Hercules C2 with 696 individual 1 SCU crates (each is wasting 50% of the space).
Yes you might say 32 SCU containers are coming, but how are we suppose to get those in and out of our ships?
Even trucks are loaded on even level, you don't load via ramps and we have no machines yet to move 32 SCU containers.
let me guess, another magical beam?

6. Weapons and components only available in some places or not at all.

You want to have some specific guns and small arms?
Have fun wasting 2-3 hour flying across Stanton.

You want an Animus or Railgun?
Have fun doing bunker missions and checking farm spots.
Oh and if you die and lose the railgun you can start all over for the fun!

I could go on and on.
It will get worse, for example harsher consequences for death, personal hygiene, maybe even toilet game play.

quote:

Yeah, I played for about 90 minutes today. All I managed to do was get some ships delivered, switch the weapons around until one had an all laser load out, fly to Everus to set my spawn point, and then 2 BH missions. One bh mission was 600km from the nearest ground station on Hurston and I burnt at least 10 minutes flying to get to it.

SC feels like a job.

quote:

Since i start playing now life have changed, so now i have very little time if i want to play.

So now i choose to live the 'verse one little task at the time.
Something like that.

And i reserve big group play in the rare occasion i have more time to play.

Less play session time mean less bug that can accour, and i actually feel i have achive something every time.

quote:

This is great example how people should approach this topic. Instead of imaginary entitlement: I have no time = I should be allowed to have everything now.

I also do not have much time to play but whenever I can I'm happy with the progress I can make.

quote:

It's perfectly fine, the additional time everything takes just adds to the experience of feeling like you are there.

I play some most days of the week, not much, but it's something.
I don't mind spending a session getting to my destination just so that I can spawn there during the next session, it gives you something to look forward to in the game, everyday.

quote:

I’m good. My goal after high school,Air Force,and aerospace school was to eventually work less with more income and enjoy life more.
Was out of school and well into my career before 2012 so I had option of weekends and within 12 hours a day Monday through Friday when I started playing in 2019 and plenty of time off.
Played at work sometimes on standby,lunch,and breaks. Used home,work,4G,and aircraft satellite Wi-Fi.

Decided to retire early in 2020 so now pretty much 24/7 option among other hobbies,activity,travel,etc..
Have a workout room/office for exercise,gaming,and stock trading,etc..in primary home with three gaming computers for myself,girlfriend,family,and another for only alpha testing.
I know three neighbors and six others locally that play as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Pretty sure if you ask John Rhys-Davies he'll go "I don't know who this guy is beyond that he works on Star Trek or something, he asked me for a picture and I obliged".

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The thing people need to realize about Star Citizen fans is that to them, Tedium is the Point. Because Tedium = Immersive and Immersion is the single most important thing that any video game could possibly have. FUN? gently caress that, life isn't always fun. Sometimes you gotta wake up and go to work for 8 hours and god drat it my video games need to be exactly the same!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Crack open a 12-pack with the boys! posted:

quote:

4 pack is best value

​Single ship $50
2 pack $47.5 each
4 pack $46.25 each
12 pack $46.67 each

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A scammer's dozen.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Lmao that reminds me of when I used to sell beer out of coolers at concerts at ‘one for $3, two or $5 or three for $10. Most ppl would custy themselves over and over but sometimes someone would get all wait a munute then get dual two for $5’s. I’d then invite them to stick around and laugh at the wasted dumbs that would line up to get hustled. Also used to sell ‘free beer for a buck’ if all we had was trash beer. Ahh the good ole days

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I wish thread titles would stick to stupid poo poo actual citizens unironically say, it’s a lot funnier that way and it’s not like there’s some shortage of dumb things said to choose from

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Thoatse posted:

I wish thread titles would stick to stupid poo poo actual citizens unironically say, it’s a lot funnier that way and it’s not like there’s some shortage of dumb things said to choose from

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Third.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Oh and that's a rare miss from The Phantom Thread-Titler there.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Colostomy Bag posted:

A scammer's dozen.

I chuckled at this and requested the title change.

Fair point about actual quotes being wild enough. Go ahead and suggest something better, it's not like these things are permanent.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Star Citizen: harsher consequences for death, personal hygiene, maybe even toilet game play.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

I chuckled at this and requested the title change.

Fair point about actual quotes being wild enough. Go ahead and suggest something better, it's not like these things are permanent.

It's a good joke and got me to check in to figure out the context. What more do you want of a title change?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's a good joke and got me to check in to figure out the context. What more do you want of a title change?

This was my experience, also. Genuinely did not know there were such big opinions about thread titles.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

When you will be long dead before this game has ceased development, there is clearly time for all thread titles to have their day in the sun.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Time_pants posted:

This was my experience, also. Genuinely did not know there were such big opinions about thread titles.

New thread title

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Time_pants posted:

You just don't understand thread design. I'm sure you're used to some threads where mods just change the titles to whatever the publishers want.

This might not be the thread for you. We are building something larger. This thread is not for us, but for our children and grandchildren. The titles we have are something that will influence future web 1.0 forums and disrupt the industry.

Our titles may seem unfinished and rarely updated, but we are in this for the long haul.

I dream of a day when I can read a thread title so immersive that no longer feel the need to leave my house.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

lobsterminator posted:

You just don't understand thread design. I'm sure you're used to some threads where mods just change the titles to whatever the publishers want.

This might not be the thread for you. We are building something larger. This thread is not for us, but for our children and grandchildren. The titles we have are something that will influence future web 1.0 forums and disrupt the industry.

Our titles may seem unfinished and rarely updated, but we are in this for the long haul.

I dream of a day when I can read a thread title so immersive that no longer feel the need to leave my house.

Your thread titles are t-posing 2ft off the ground and you don't see an issue with that?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Title meshing will fix that.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Thoatse posted:

Lmao that reminds me of when I used to sell beer out of coolers at concerts at ‘one for $3, two or $5 or three for $10. Most ppl would custy themselves over and over but sometimes someone would get all wait a munute then get dual two for $5’s. I’d then invite them to stick around and laugh at the wasted dumbs that would line up to get hustled. Also used to sell ‘free beer for a buck’ if all we had was trash beer. Ahh the good ole days

You were a beer rustler? Awesome!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pff settle down, I didn't change this title but they come and go. Give it like two days and report a post and ask for a new one and one of us will get it. It's the most trivial thing.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

hi all, just wanted to do a my quick annual check in to see if the game is out yet

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Apparently they came out with some fighter and their ad for it shows it doing a 180 flip and attacking, when in reality it has a worse turn rate (and worse stats than) because every other ship in the game. And the person who did a thread showing how bullshit the ad for it is is getting some good material

quote:

the ads are not accurate to how the game actually plays just look at the freelancer commercial taking out two cutties like its nothing

quote:

Why do you and so many others continue to give CIG excuses for bad behavior?
"Ads lie so it's ok that CIG lie in ads because ads lie."

You know that can choose to not lie right? They can choose to make ads that are truthful. They can choose that and you don't need to make excuses for them, it doesn't benefit you in any possible way to go out of your way to defend a corporation for lovely practices.

Yet so so so many of you loving weird fanboys go so far out of your way to defend CIG as if their honor being besmirched will somehow lead to your death or something.

quote:

Bro idgaf about CIGs honor, but honestly they just said "ay we are making a fast nimble deployable fighter, do some marketing" and then marketing was like oh nimble ok and made that cinematic because it looked cool.

The guys actually making the ship and deciding its behaviour are not the marketing department, theyve most likely just been given a model and never even saw it play, their job is just to make it look cool.

Thats hardly dying on a hill with spear in hand for the honor of chris roberts, more just common sense and a realistic outlook on how the world works.

Like in all fairness this is kinda tame compared to all the other poo poo marketting out there like the pepsi commercial where Pepsi stops a race riot lmao.

quote:

Seriously. If we really want to get lied to we can all go play Blizzard games.

quote:

Cinematic trailers don’t reflect gameplay, they’re meant to be CINEMATIC

quote:

It's all an advert to sell a product. Nothing changes no matter where one goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN3wckZTSwU People are still gullible in thinking that an ad will reflect reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61PzqMLUf14

It's fun when you just type "false advertising" in youtube search engine.

quote:

People’s inability to distinguish gameplay from cinematic trailers is their own problem.

quote:

So true. They are also forgetting this technically isn't a CIG advert, it's from Mirai trying to sell its ship.

That last one, lol holy hell. “Well technically the ad is by a company inside the universe of Star citizen so CIG didn’t make it”. :rubby:

Star Citizen: People’s inability to distinguish gameplay from cinematic trailers is their own problem.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Once again CIG just stealing from other companies. Anyone remember the Elite:Dangerous launch trailer, and how little it matched the game? Heh.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

only :10bux:/2

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Notbing thrills me more than getting a thread title from my post or seeing my post get quoted.

Thank you for validating my existence.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

CubicalSucrose posted:

in the "they're so, so close to seeing it" department, hit up this poo poo someday

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

maybe even toilet game play

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cutedge posted:

Apparently they came out with some fighter and their ad for it shows it doing a 180 flip and attacking, when in reality it has a worse turn rate (and worse stats than) because every other ship in the game. And the person who did a thread showing how bullshit the ad for it is is getting some good material

That last one, lol holy hell. “Well technically the ad is by a company inside the universe of Star citizen so CIG didn’t make it”. :rubby:

Star Citizen: People’s inability to distinguish gameplay from cinematic trailers is their own problem.

Star Citizen: You know that can choose to not lie right?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I changed the title because it made me laugh :colbert:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Mode 7 posted:

I changed the title because it made me laugh :colbert:

Thank you for your service.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I would be honest and argue they need fake trailers to stay afloat, since actual combat is boring and 95% of backers don’t play the game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I wonder if the reason they have so many employees is because they hire people willing to work for spaceship jpegs.

It would explain a lot.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Is Star Citizen out yet?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Grand Theft Auto V has come out three times since Star Citizen was announced.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

But how many times has Skyrim V come out?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cutedge posted:

But how many times has Skyrim V come out?

None.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

LostRook posted:

I wonder if the reason they have so many employees is because they hire people willing to work for spaceship jpegs.

It would explain a lot.

I’m sure it’s less prevalent these days but back when Ben still worked there , the rumours were all sorts of people were thrown free ships left right and centre

Streamers , sure here’s 10k worth of ships for free to “gift” to your subscribers

It’s a pretty smart move marketing wise. They cost nothing to produce anymore and they cost nothing to “gift” out

And if you get lucky you discover a hidden whale who just so happened to need the first introduction to the ships to really break into the bank account

Kind of like how drug dealers work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Blue On Blue posted:

I’m sure it’s less prevalent these days but back when Ben still worked there , the rumours were all sorts of people were thrown free ships left right and centre

Streamers , sure here’s 10k worth of ships for free to “gift” to your subscribers

It’s a pretty smart move marketing wise. They cost nothing to produce anymore and they cost nothing to “gift” out

And if you get lucky you discover a hidden whale who just so happened to need the first introduction to the ships to really break into the bank account

Kind of like how drug dealers work

Yeah Rexzilla was always giving out free poo poo in his streams. But now a days I think they barely bother engaging with/supporting the poor wretches who stream their game. Like everything else they realized that morons will just keep giving them money no matter what.